Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Gw2: Hyped at first? What about now?

Comments

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Woodstock, GAPosts: 1,378Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by shingoukieh

Honestly i been full exotic for like...2 months or so now...and dont feel like grinding FOTM. So now they have laurels..and to get them u gotta do dailies. the dailies changed and now they feel more of a hassle instead of natural. In all honesty the game feels like i already beat it. Playin a mmorpg just for kicks is not what i like..either i like story progression or gear progression. I feel complete with my character and honestly i feel money has no value in this game...i have 200g and nothing to really buy..unless i wanna get a legendary i can spend some...but since legendaries are only like a costume skin what is the point of that??

All in all it was a pretty good game at first. and i did however like the events and actually seeing people around killing stuff etc..was epic...but now i have no reason to play...for fun? Perhaps for fun i suppose but to be honest there are alot of other games i could be having more fun with. for progression? no real progression to be had. Currently im playing Eve online and its a fun game....with real progression. Sometimes boring but even while offline i still get progression. Im putting all my eggs into final fantasy 14 arr....hopefully that game has progression and immersion...As for GW2..i have no reason to play besides just messing around for an hour or so...and to be honest im looking for an mmorpg i can really sink my teeth into and if i have 1 hour or 8 hours to play i can play that entire duration and not feel bored and enjoy it. With guild wars 2 after i grind a dungeon and then go to the world and just finish off low level zones im pretty much pooped...

I agree with this assessment. While I am nowhere near your level of completion in GW2, I feel that it is lacking in things to strive for and that's ok, but I do like earning things and feeling like I have a reason to keep playing. Playing to have fun is fine and all but a large part of my fun is feeling like my character is growing. But, I haven't reached that point yet so I guess I am ok.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• CelciusCelcius Franklin, TNPosts: 1,000Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by FlawSGI
    Originally posted by shingoukieh

Honestly i been full exotic for like...2 months or so now...and dont feel like grinding FOTM. So now they have laurels..and to get them u gotta do dailies. the dailies changed and now they feel more of a hassle instead of natural. In all honesty the game feels like i already beat it. Playin a mmorpg just for kicks is not what i like..either i like story progression or gear progression. I feel complete with my character and honestly i feel money has no value in this game...i have 200g and nothing to really buy..unless i wanna get a legendary i can spend some...but since legendaries are only like a costume skin what is the point of that??

All in all it was a pretty good game at first. and i did however like the events and actually seeing people around killing stuff etc..was epic...but now i have no reason to play...for fun? Perhaps for fun i suppose but to be honest there are alot of other games i could be having more fun with. for progression? no real progression to be had. Currently im playing Eve online and its a fun game....with real progression. Sometimes boring but even while offline i still get progression. Im putting all my eggs into final fantasy 14 arr....hopefully that game has progression and immersion...As for GW2..i have no reason to play besides just messing around for an hour or so...and to be honest im looking for an mmorpg i can really sink my teeth into and if i have 1 hour or 8 hours to play i can play that entire duration and not feel bored and enjoy it. With guild wars 2 after i grind a dungeon and then go to the world and just finish off low level zones im pretty much pooped...

I agree with this assessment. While I am nowhere near your level of completion in GW2, I feel that it is lacking in things to strive for and that's ok, but I do like earning things and feeling like I have a reason to keep playing. Playing to have fun is fine and all but a large part of my fun is feeling like my character is growing. But, I haven't reached that point yet so I guess I am ok.

Yep. By far the best argument against GW2 atm is the lack of a clear progression path and lack of progression in general. I am pretty suprised less people don't mention this. Personally I just play off and on until I decide on a goal. At first it was my legendary, then it was focus on getting sets of gear for different builds...and it still is! I also started leveling an alt so that helped me create some good goals for myself. Some people are not programmed this way and need something to hold their hand for progression. I think that the game is heading in that direction just fine though and in a few months we will have all these nice progression systems that will keep us playing so that they can start focusing on stuff like new dungeons, zones, and events. 

• BladestromBladestrom edinburghPosts: 4,941Member Uncommon
    Yep here are problems with mid term progression and connection to the world lore through story telling. I think however most people who enjoy gw2 understand that its a fame that will keep maturing under the stewardship of Anet who genuinely seem to be award of issues and are proactive. My own trust comes from knowing their track record from gw1. Can't wait until they start expanding skills :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• mikahrmikahr ZagrebPosts: 1,066Member
    Originally posted by Celcius

Yep. By far the best argument against GW2 atm is the lack of a clear progression path and lack of progression in general.

By "progression" you actually mean "getting uber gear" and that is actually big argument FOR the game, not against it.

And theres plenty of lateral progression, even to point people claim theres "too much grind" lol

• asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by neobahamut20

Meh, wait to enter Eorzea.

Tyria died when they hired the maple story chick that ruins games and since her, their manifesto went down the toilet.

They made promises they couldnt keep. Unless they admit it, fire their whole team like Square-Enix did and hire people that care, Tyria will not be reborn.

One person does not ruin a company - a whole company does that.

The chick he's talking about is more than capable of bringing down an entire company, given enough influence, which she has.

You make me like charity

• fivorothfivoroth LondonPosts: 3,657Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Zzad

After playing for more than 5 months,i can still say GW2 is by far the best MMO i´ve ever played!

And it just born....wait a couple of expansions ^^

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

When you make a post like that you are obliged to post your MMO resume so you can show that its not the first MMO you play for more than 3 months.

I am not sure if this post is ironic or not but if it isn't just lol.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Zzad

After playing for more than 5 months,i can still say GW2 is by far the best MMO i´ve ever played!

And it just born....wait a couple of expansions ^^

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

When you make a post like that you are obliged to post your MMO resume so you can show that its not the first MMO you play for more than 3 months.

I am not sure if this post is ironic or not but if it isn't just lol.

more like cynacism.  how much stock can you really put into a comment that basically says "best game i've ever played" then shows off a few random screenshots, like it's an advertisement?

You make me like charity

• AeonbladesAeonblades Home, GAPosts: 2,083Member
    Was fairly hyped for it, bought it, played it 2ish months, moved on. Good game, but not something for a veteran MMO player or someone who likes progression or extensive content. Very good game for what it does though.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• HomituHomitu Hometown, HIPosts: 2,030Member
    Hyped about the future of the game. 
  • idgaradidgarad NOwhere, MNPosts: 174Member
    Originally posted by botrytis

Meh, wait to enter Eorzea.

Tyria died when they hired the maple story chick that ruins games and since her, their manifesto went down the toilet.

They made promises they couldnt keep. Unless they admit it, fire their whole team like Square-Enix did and hire people that care, Tyria will not be reborn.

One person does not ruin a company - a whole company does that.

No, you'd actually be surprised. The wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time can bring even the largest of companies to it's knees.

• VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Was fairly hyped for it, bought it, played it 2ish months, moved on. Good game, but not something for a veteran MMO player or someone who likes progression or extensive content. Very good game for what it does though.

Well, it's definitely something for this veteran MMO player. Nice lateral progression without the forced treadmill, extensive content, addictive open world realm style PvP in the WvW maps, flat out gorgeous world... to each his own.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Yeah veterans don't all like the same things.  Besides, what 'veteran' usually means on these forums is "someone who agrees with me".
  • paulythebpaulytheb Wauwatosa, WIPosts: 261Member Uncommon

I wasn't terribly hyped to begin with. I received this game as a birthday gift. It hasn't really held my interest, but I'm not here to bash it.

There is a falsehood being spread throughout this thread.

The falsehood is that this game sold 3 million copies in 5 months.

The game started selling on April 10 2012, and has been for sale for nearly 10 months now.

How do I know this without even looking it up?  My Birthday is April 10. I told my wife to put it on her credit card.

I don't really like the fact that A-net is playing pretty fast and loose with this fastest to 3 million claim when the game was for sale much earlier than what they are actually claiming with the sales data.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

Originally posted by Deleted User
    ... I play as a warrior, I have some defensive cooldowns that make my invulnerable. When they are up I play aggressive just like I should be able to all the time, when they are down, I am running back from the dead or running back to my zerg group,...

Here's a quick summation...

I don't know how to dodge.

They made dailies to train these types of people.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by paulytheb

I wasn't terribly hyped to begin with. I received this game as a birthday gift. It hasn't really held my interest, but I'm not here to bash it.

The game started selling on April 10 2012, and has been for sale for nearly 10 months now.

How do I know this without even looking it up?  My Birthday is April 10. I told my wife to put it on her credit card.

I don't really like the fact that A-net is playing pretty fast and loose with this fastest to 3 million claim when the game was for sale much earlier than what they are actually claiming with the sales data.

There is a safe assumption to be made, however. Anyone that pre-purchased would have bought it anyhow. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

There is a safe assumption to be made, however. Anyone that pre-purchased would have bought it anyhow. 

I did purchase it. In April.

• bliss14bliss14 eleva, WIPosts: 565Member
    Originally posted by dimnikar

If WoW hadn't created the market for this type of game, GW2 wouldn't sell jack squat.

It's amazing how many of you dare to compare a game releasing today to a game released nearly 10 years ago. Do you even know how much the market grew since then?

Think of it this way: if the market for a product is 10 people and you sell to 3 of those in 2005, but it's 100 people in 2012 and you sell to 5... Which sold faster?

Lots of ways to look at this. Only one is correct.

It is a rather moot discussion methinks.  Could people perhaps just agree that Guild Wars 2 has sold many copies and could be considered a successful venture?  Regardless of personal opinion on the qualities of the game, of course.  Objectivity!  The real question and reflection on it's popularity will be how many copies of it's first expansion sell.

Concerning WoW, I would still be a happy camper if I was the developer of a game that has 9 million active subs vs 10 million subs.  Dinner is still on the table.

Would you have bought it at release if you couldn't?

Oderint, dum metuant.

I did purchase it.  IN APRIL  (more emphasis)  

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite ManilaPosts: 879Member

You're too stuck with the 5-month thing. You think sales made before September shouldn't count under the 5-month thing. It's arguably true, but think about the fact that the product wasn't really available before September. If there was no prepurchase...people who were likely to buy it at launch time will set aside money for it. Since there was pre-purchase people can opt to put down money beforehand for a product that will be available in September.

And, NO. You did not PURCHASE it in April. What you did is a pre-purchase. What's the difference? You didn't get your product in APRIL. You got your product in SEPTEMBER, with the 3-day headstart.

Would the sales have been less if there was no pre-purchase? Maybe. Some people would have needed the time until September to think deeper and change their minds about buying the game. The concept of a pre-purchase is actually bait to a consumer's weak point: impulsiveness.

Originally posted by KhinRunite

You're too stuck with the 5-month thing. You think sales made before September shouldn't count under the 5-month thing. It's arguably true, but think about the fact that the product wasn't really available before September. If there was no prepurchase...people who were likely to buy it at launch time will set aside money for it. Since there was pre-purchase people can opt to put down money beforehand for a product that will be available in September.

And, NO. You did not PURCHASE it in April. What you did is a pre-purchase. What's the difference? You didn't get your product in APRIL. You got your product in SEPTEMBER, with the 3-day headstart.

Would the sales have been less if there was no pre-purchase? Maybe. Some people would have needed the time until September to think deeper and change their minds about buying the game. The concept of a pre-purchase is actually bait to a consumer's weak point: impulsiveness.

I'm not stuck on the 5 month thing.  The 5 month thing is a lie.  I pre- PURCHASED the game in April. Wow, some of you people are really dense.  I'll spell it all out nice and slow. They took the MONEY for the PRODUCT in APRIL.

They counted me among the 3 million I'm sure, but I did NOT purchase the game in the last 5 months.I puchased the game 10 months ago in APRIL. What is so hard to understand about this?? It is a LIE from A-net.

THEY LIED.  Get it?  They told an untruth, a falsehood. Companies do this all the time. Not just game companies.They call it spin.

The rest of you guys posts are all IF,IF,IF.

If i had a million dollars, I'd be rich.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.

Come back when you have a real argument and not a bunch of IF.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite ManilaPosts: 879Member
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

I'm not stuck on the 5 month thing.  The 5 month thing is a lie.  I pre- PURCHASED the game in April. Wow, some of you people are really dense.  I'll spell it all out nice and slow. They took the MONEY for the PRODUCT in APRIL.

They counted me among the 3 million I'm sure, but I did NOT purchase the game in the last 5 months.I puchased the game 10 months ago in APRIL. What is so hard to understand about this?? It is a LIE from A-net.

THEY LIED.  Get it?  They told an untruth, a falsehood. Companies do this all the time. Not just game companies.They call it spin.

The rest of you guys posts are all IF,IF,IF.

If i had a million dollars, I'd be rich.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.

Come back when you have a real argument and not a bunch of IF.

What you don't understand is that you didn't get the product when you gave them your money. A purchase is only completed when the buyer acquired what he/she paid for. They can count you as part of the sales made in September because that's when they made the product available to everyone, including you, who gave the money months ago.

I agree that their statement paints a false picture. It makes unknowing people think that the company only started taking money for about 5 months. But it's shallow to think that they lied. If ANet or NCSoft included the earnings from prepurchases in their Q1 and Q2 reports, you have a case. As far as I know, money from pre-purchases reflected on Q3,  as were actual launch purchases.

• CelciusCelcius Franklin, TNPosts: 1,000Member Uncommon

By your logic it still would have beaten all the other MMOs to the punch as they too had pre-purchases started beforehand. That is not logical. The fact is that the game did not LAUNCH until months after you pre-ordered it. Just because you pre-ordered it does not mean that it counts towards sales until the actual launch of the game.  Ironically even if you don't count pre-order sales, the game still sold nearly 2 million in the same time frame which is still the fastest selling MMO of all time. 

But yeah, if you don't understand basic economics there is no use in arguing semantics with you. You can't lie to investors. That is a great way to you know, lose investors.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,801Member Uncommon

Oh not the "I bought it in April so it has been selling for almost a year now!".

Imagine there was no pre-purchases and pre-orders-

Come launch day the 1 million pre-purchasers would have to buy it then.

Simple.

I bought it in April. Had I not bought it in April, I would have bought it in the 28th August.

They received it earlier, good for them - they had €70 more earning interest in their bank account for 5 months more. And I was able to have sneak peak and be certain to play it in the second it went live.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,801Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by bliss14
    Originally posted by dimnikar

If WoW hadn't created the market for this type of game, GW2 wouldn't sell jack squat.

It's amazing how many of you dare to compare a game releasing today to a game released nearly 10 years ago. Do you even know how much the market grew since then?

Think of it this way: if the market for a product is 10 people and you sell to 3 of those in 2005, but it's 100 people in 2012 and you sell to 5... Which sold faster?

Lots of ways to look at this. Only one is correct.

It is a rather moot discussion methinks.  Could people perhaps just agree that Guild Wars 2 has sold many copies and could be considered a successful venture?  Regardless of personal opinion on the qualities of the game, of course.  Objectivity!  The real question and reflection on it's popularity will be how many copies of it's first expansion sell.

Concerning WoW, I would still be a happy camper if I was the developer of a game that has 9 million active subs vs 10 million subs.  Dinner is still on the table.

The market would have grown anyway.

The gaming market grew.

Internet access became faster, cheaper and reached more people.

PCs became cheaper.

Asia became richer.

Also, it is alot harder to sell in today market because the number of competitors grew tremendously as well (vide WoW western population that dropped from a max 10-12 million to today 3-4million).

Blizzard and WoW had a great opportunity window and they had the skill to take it, reaching to an untapped market of more casual gamers than those playeing games like UO, EQ and such, and then years later was able to carve a nice market in China.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders