Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game is completely unplayable at high resolutions.

I don't mean that the game bottlenecks or causes frame rate issues.  I mean you can't see a bloody thing.  I can't find the menus, the character creation sliders, any text that ever pops up.  I tried this tweak guide and it simply did nothing: http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=41533

So, yeah... why can't gaming companies get this right?  When people play at like 1920 X 1080, the font sizes need to be doubled, automatically, and/or be adjustable for every piece of text in the whole game.  TSW is completely unplayable for me.  And I know someone will tell me to just play at a lower res, and my response is /grumpycat NO!  I didn't spend all this money on hardware to play at a crap resolution.

At least I was only funcommed out of $12 this time, thanks to the Amazon sale.  Conclusion:  Funcom yet again fails to understand the tech requirements for making a game, just like Age of Conan.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Comments

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Hate to tell you this... but it works just fine on max settings for me..
  • augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628
    I play at 1920x1080 just fine, and I may as well be blind the way my visions going.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    OP: your computer stats would really have helped here, right now we dont know if you have Fred Flintstones computer or not...
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    I play at 1920 x 1080 and I have no problems.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Loke666
    OP: your computer stats would really have helped here, right now we dont know if you have Fred Flintstones computer or not...

The problem is not with his gear, it's with his sight... (for sore eyes :) man, that outfit looks hilarious)

Frankly, it is a problem to some people, but luckily the TSW UI is customizable in every tiny detail, he even linked the step-by-step how to change your Fonts.xml... so I'm not quite understand his OP.

(btw I play 1920x1200 maxed out and I never had problems with the original font size... but that's just me)

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660
    Edited out.
  • SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    [mod edit]

I hate it when people call gamers who want a decent, working product... self-entitled. That phrase should be applied to issues of character progression, not bugs and playability. Excuse the fuck out of me for expecting a working product after paying money to get... a working product!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    [mod edit]

I hate it when people call gamers who want a decent, working product... self-entitled. That phrase should be applied to issues of character progression, not bugs and playability. Excuse the fuck out of me for expecting a working product after paying money to get... a working product!

Max settings work fine for me. Your system is clearly the problem not the product. I think that TwoThreeFours post hit a little to close to home for you.

Originally posted by f0dell54
    [mod edit]

Max settings work fine for me. Your system is clearly the problem not the product. I think that TwoThreeFours post hit a little to close to home for you.

No... thr fonts are so SMALL that they can't be read. This is not an issue of system specs. DUH! Edit: Specs- 37" 3DTV. Monster HDMI cable. Resolution: 1920 x 1080. Last eye exam: 5 months ago.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    [mod edit]

It seems to be working just fine for me, and for others it appears.  Perhaps you could post your tech specs (system and *display*) and something could be discovered?

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    [mod edit]

It seems to be working just fine for me, and for others it appears.  Perhaps you could post your tech specs (system and *display*) and something could be discovered?

There. I posted the relevant specs for the SMALL FONTS issue.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I play at 1920 x 1200 and most of the time the UI is just fine.  When I open the character screen it sometimes scales either really large or super small if I'm not looking straight ahead but looking forward it's fine.

I do agree that better control over UI scalling would be a nice to have but it's far from unplayable as it stands.

• JannSilverJannSilver Member UncommonPosts: 3
    [mod edit]

No... thr fonts are so SMALL that they can't be read. This is not an issue of system specs. DUH! Edit: Specs- 37" 3DTV. Monster HDMI cable. Resolution: 1920 x 1080. Last eye exam: 5 months ago.

Played at 3600x1600 when i was playing and didn't have any issues. Of course I'm maybe 2-3 feet from my monitors.

If you're trying to play at 1080p on a 37 inch screen when people have told you it works just fine at 1080p on their probably 24 inch screens, then I would think the problem is on your end. Since you're playing on a TV, are you trying to play from the couch like you're on a 720p Xbox game where the fonts are going to be twice as big by default?

Originally posted by JannSilver
    [mod edit]

Played at 3600x1600 when i was playing and didn't have any issues. Of course I'm maybe 2-3 feet from my monitors.

If you're trying to play at 1080p on a 37 inch screen when people have told you it works just fine at 1080p on their probably 24 inch screens, then I would think the problem is on your end. Since you're playing on a TV, are you trying to play from the couch like you're on a 720p Xbox game where the fonts are going to be twice as big by default?

I am 7 feet away. The fonts of most games are fine. In TSW, they are microscopic.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    [mod edit]

Like others I'm playing with max settings in 1920x1080p without issue. I'm not sure what your issue is. Could you maybe give us a screenshot so we can see whats going on? Your explanation of the issue seems like it's a font size issue or something which I'm not seeing myself. Better explanation of the issue + screen shots would help. 

Also if possible can you provide PC specs?

Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    [mod edit]

Like others I'm playing with max settings in 1920x1080p without issue. I'm not sure what your issue is. Could you maybe give us a screenshot so we can see whats going on? Your explanation of the issue seems like it's a font size issue or something which I'm not seeing myself. Better explanation of the issue + screen shots would help. 

Also if possible can you provide PC specs?

See post #12.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

You need to get your eyes checked, because I can see this fine on my monitor. Click on this to see the full image.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

Originally posted by Searias

You need to get your eyes checked, because I can see this fine on my monitor. Click on this to see the full image.

See post #12, wherr I clearly indicated my last eye exam was 5 months ago. BTW, the fonts on your screen shot are too tiny as well. But.. if I get out of my chair and walk up to 2-3 feet away, I can at least read what they say, but they still *feel* tiny. I haven't sat closer than 5 feet from my monitor since 1997 though.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

See post #12, wherr I clearly indicated my last eye exam was 5 months ago. BTW, the fonts on your screen shot are too tiny as well. But.. if I get out of my chair and walk up to 2-3 feet away, I can at least read what they say, but they still *feel* tiny. I haven't sat closer than 5 feet from my monitor since 1997 though.

"Game is completely unplayable at high resolutions"  has devolved into "I need to get my eyes checked"  ? 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Ahh, so your rant about Funcom was uncalled for then and this is nothing more than a personal issue. 

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Ahh, so your rant about Funcom was uncalled for then and this is nothing more than a personal issue. 

A personal issue which thousands and thousands of gamers are having? I'm not sure you understand what the word "personal" means.

Originally posted by eyelolled

"Game is completely unplayable at high resolutions"  has devolved into "I need to get my eyes checked"  ? 

Again, see post #12. Read the whole post.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I use 1680 x 1050. That might not be considered high resolution, but the game runs perfectly fine for me, and the fonts have never been an issue.

This is also the first time I've ever seen this particular issue brought up.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Again, see post #12. Read the whole post.

So the game is perfectly playeble on max settings, so yes your rant and tittle are both missleading and unacalled for.

Your gripe is the standard font size, which ironic enough is the very same font size as.. WoW, Rift and SwToR on this setting.. to name a few. The text in cutscenes is significant larger then in chat windows, so are the quest popup windows which.. enlarge by getting closer to it or even adjusting your camera distance to your character.

The achievent/lore page is the same size as chat. the AP/SP window has larger font sizes.

Now.. books and comics use smaller font sizes then TSW does as well.

Seems to me you are just pulling straws to rage about FC/TSW to me.

Edit : just realised having 2 identical monitors next to eachother.. The mmorpg.com forums use the exact same font size on 1920 x 1080 resolution.

• ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

I was gonna write a longer post in this thread, and now I realised that OP is either a troll or just not worth wasting the energy on. Especially since he clearly can't admit the error is on his end (set-up, not being able to follow a guide etc.).