Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ANet misses the scheduled WvW update for Feb

Comments

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by xArsonistx

I wanna throw out there I don't blame Anet.

I believe NCsoft put foruth a very ridgid Min/max for bandwidth restraints on ANet due to the game being b2p. They have eluded to as much in some of the comments they have made. They might very well be doing the best they can within the confines of the parameters they are being given but the parameters are so low that even if they do the best they can NCsoft will never allow enough bandwidth to render more then 20 people on screen.

Hey can I witness the screenshot of 40k kills in WvW please =)

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I believe NCsoft put foruth a very ridgid Min/max for bandwidth restraints on ANet due to the game being b2p. They have eluded to as much in some of the comments they have made. They might very well be doing the best they can within the confines of the parameters they are being given but the parameters are so low that even if they do the best they can NCsoft will never allow enough bandwidth to render more then 20 people on screen.

What? NCSoft has nothing to do with "bandwidth"... the entire thing is controlled by ANet here in the US. NCSoft is staying out of the way and collecting profits for their investment.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

What? NCSoft has nothing to do with "bandwidth"... the entire thing is controlled by ANet here in the US. NCSoft is staying out of the way and collecting profits for their investment.

lol wow.

So am I going to see the 40K kills or what? =(

lol wow.

That's pretty much what I was thinking when I read your post. The degree that people will go to make things up to bash is ridiculous. Oh, about those 40K plus kills... still waiting to be amazed here...

Oderint, dum metuant.

lol wow.

That's pretty much what I was thinking when I read your post. The degree that people will go to make things up to bash is ridiculous. Oh, about those 40K plus kills... still waiting to be amazed here...

Hold tight google has not  yet shown a screen shot of 40k kills in gw2 yet

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by elitero

lol wow.

Hold tight google has not  yet shown a screen shot of 40k kills in gw2 yet

Go go gadget Photoshop!

Edit: to stay on subject, I have to say that I wouldn't be surprised if the fix wasn't hotfixed sooner than later.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• xArsonistxxArsonistx Member Posts: 31

Uninstalled along with d3 weeks ago. I don't know why it would be so hard to believe

#1 I rolled a staff ele they just closed his eyes and aoe spammed culled zergs...render bodys collect loot.

#2 there were tons of guys in my guild with more kills then me by far

#3 theres a dude in redguard with almost 150k  kills lol.

Uninstalled along with d3 weeks ago. I don't know why it would be so hard to believe

#1 I rolled a staff ele they just closed his eyes and aoe spammed culled zergs...render bodys collect loot.

How... convenient. So we're expected to believe that you were apparently some form of WvW god yet you've also happened to uninstalled the game (which you can easily reinstall and access for no cost, btw), preventing there from being any evidence to your boasting. Also, having uninstalled the game, doesn't is seem... obsessive... to be hanging around these forums bashing it still? Kind of like dumping a girl then bashing her hoping no one else will go out with her.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Don't forget that he got 40K kills in WvW despite it being a pile of buggy crap no one plays. I always laugh at these "I've player Skyrim for 300 hours and IT SUCKS!" posts.

Oh, wait, I just saw that other post where this guy said he's played GW2 for 900 hours. Oh dear.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I just find WvW to be a bit boring... unless you get lucky and join up with a good 4-8 person group and actually find small scale combat with other 4-8 person groups.

It actually got me thinking about ways to counter the "zerg" in OWPVP like this through system design.

This is the issue.  GW2 should have been designed with multiple small-team objectives so squads could form up and make a difference.  Some people just don't give a rip about zerging, and I am one of them.  I was bored with WvW after about a week in the game because it was one-dimensional and boring.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!! so is there a screenshot for that? or are we just imagining stuff because with a good connection you can DL it within 2 hours at max. =) I am at work have all the time. actually let me just start GW2 up on my nexus 7 and I will add you whats your IGN?

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

How... convenient. So we're expected to believe that you were apparently some form of WvW god yet you've also happened to uninstalled the game (which you can easily reinstall and access for no cost, btw), preventing there from being any evidence to your boasting. Also, having uninstalled the game, doesn't is seem... obsessive... to be hanging around these forums bashing it still? Kind of like dumping a girl then bashing her hoping no one else will go out with her.

So he went around and attacked invisible people? The more I think of it, he may be confusing "mass invisibility" with culling.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I just find WvW to be a bit boring... unless you get lucky and join up with a good 4-8 person group and actually find small scale combat with other 4-8 person groups.

It actually got me thinking about ways to counter the "zerg" in OWPVP like this through system design.

This is the issue.  GW2 should have been designed with multiple small-team objectives so squads could form up and make a difference.  Some people just don't give a rip about zerging, and I am one of them.  I was bored with WvW after about a week in the game because it was one-dimensional and boring.

There actually are tons of small team objectives, but the rewards/motivations are not there so what happens is the zerg just moves in a big circle chasing another zerg and every once in a while the two zergs meet, one of them wins, and the whole thing starts over.

What they should do?

Divide the maps into many smaller maps - limit players per faction in those smaller maps and allow players to see what maps are populated and what maps need reinforcements / strike teams.

Allow these smaller maps to be controlled and protected from flipping for X amount of time.

Once enough of the smaller maps/objectives are secured for your faction, the larger maps for a lot more players open up for things like keep sieges - then you can get your zerg attacking and zerg defending game on.

Something like that.

The worst part about it is how open it all is. It becomes more efficient to just roll with the zerg and flip objectives.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

This is good news. I would rather they put off something this game changing for WvW players to polish it more. I knew it wouldn't take long for people to spin this out of control. This is the first time ArenaNet has delayed something since launch that was pretty much set in stone prior, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt that it just was not quite ready. A one month delay won't kill me. 

I find it highly ironic that in the same post you say that ArenaNet is delaying a patch to make sure it is polished and bug free that when the patch comes out it will still be a mess. So if they hit the deadline and it is not polished enough you will come here flaming the game, but if they miss it so that they can make sure it is polished you will still flame the game. Can't win, can you? Culling is also largely improved, to the point where it is very much in an acceptable state with improvements coming in nearly every patch. They don't focus just on WvW as you so blindly don't understand, the game is very large and there are alot of areas they are focusing on at once. Saying that Feb is going to be "barren" is highly ignorant of you considering they have not even really told us what is coming this month yet. 

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

There actually are tons of small team objectives, but the rewards/motivations are not there so what happens is the zerg just moves in a big circle chasing another zerg and every once in a while the two zergs meet, one of them wins, and the whole thing starts over.

What they should do?

Divide the maps into many smaller maps - limit players per faction in those smaller maps and allow players to see what maps are populated and what maps need reinforcements / strike teams.

Allow these smaller maps to be controlled and protected from flipping for X amount of time.

Once enough of the smaller maps/objectives are secured for your faction, the larger maps for a lot more players open up for things like keep sieges - then you can get your zerg attacking and zerg defending game on.

Something like that.

The worst part about it is how open it all is. It becomes more efficient to just roll with the zerg and flip objectives.

For me, the main issue is the same one Planetside 2 suffers from.  The entire WvW game is a giant circle-jerk.  Zerg here, Zerg there, rinse, repeat.  

What both of these games need is open land with player-built bases and objectives.  I know this is something SOE wants to eventually do with PS2, but we'll have to see if they follow through.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

What they should do?

Something like that.

For me, the main issue is the same one Planetside 2 suffers from.  The entire WvW game is a giant circle-jerk.  Zerg here, Zerg there, rinse, repeat.  

What both of these games need is open land with player-built bases and objectives.  I know this is something SOE wants to eventually do with PS2, but we'll have to see if they follow through.

That's a tough sell too though. Ends up leading to major turtling. Territory doesn't change hands very often. Like in EvE. Guilds post up defenders for their holdings and will very rarely take the risk of a major offensive.

I think my solution counters that problem well too. Forces keep holders to defend the smaller objectives with smaller strike teams. Also encourages deploying attack forces to secondary objectives outside the other side's keeps.

If you allow players to gather in mass - they will. You HAVE to direct them. In a sense, you have to control them. Sad but true.

The idea of open PvP in a MMO where this isn't true is an idealistic pipe dream.

Sure, those scenarios do occur from time to time but it's the exception, not the norm.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Yes I have 40k wvw kills I've been on nearly every #1 server since launch. I think my guilds record in WvW before I quit the game was 60-1? lol. Guess what guild I was in. anywho. You tell me who has more experience with wvw's lulz.

I've read your post history, and I know that you've never played the game or at least have never played the game past level 10. You completely miss the truth on so many points it's amazing.  It's funny that you try and impress on anyone that you  have 40k kills 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

You have them missing March already?  I can spin too, watch this: "ArenaNet is still putting the last bit of polish on the WvW update and it will be deployed as soon as it's ready!"  See, I can say the same thing without the negativity.  Considering the OP's views regarding GW2, I'm not shocked that this would be painted in a negative light. 

Negative light?

So, if a company says 'We will do X by Y' and fails to do so, you want to spin that in a POSITIVE light?

If a company fails to do what they said they will, I would suspect a reasonable person would understand that a customer might be upset. Just maybe? You know?

Jeez, this isn't rocket science. /facepalm

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

You have them missing March already?  I can spin too, watch this: "ArenaNet is still putting the last bit of polish on the WvW update and it will be deployed as soon as it's ready!"  See, I can say the same thing without the negativity.  Considering the OP's views regarding GW2, I'm not shocked that this would be painted in a negative light. 

Negative light?

So, if a company says 'We will do X by Y' and fails to do so, you want to spin that in a POSITIVE light?

If a company fails to do what they said they will, I would suspect a reasonable person would understand that a customer might be upset. Just maybe? You know?

I would think the degree of upset a resonable customer might have would be based with the explanation, though, wouldn't you? If they simply said it wouldn't be ready or were going to leave out things promised that would be one thing. However Colin gives a reasonable and detailed explanation of what's going on. I give credit where I see it due, and if it takes a few more weeks for the polish and shine phase to produce a bug-free release I'm willing to give it those few more weeks. Besides, it's hardly worth wasting the emotion over this... it's a release date for a little more content in a game being pushed out by a few weeks. Those kinds of things hardly draw more than a raised eyebrow... certainly not a notable emotional response. Sandy Brook - emotional response. 9/11 - emotional response. GW2 delays WvW update a few weeks... ok, I'll wait.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Negative light?

I was going to say, anyone who thinks MMO devs are great at meeting their deadlines and promised release/update dates hasn't been playing in this genre for too long!

After 13+ years playing MMOs, if a developer actually met a deadline I'd be MORE worried because it probably means the content/patch/whatever was rushed, is incomplete, or will be far too buggy/broken.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Your source proving your statement is? Have you seen their contract?

• GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172

As much as I was looking forward to a major WvW update this month, I can certainly keep waiting another month.  Hopefully March doesn't become April, April become May and so on ...

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Originally posted by evilastro

Yes I have 40k wvw kills I've been on nearly every #1 server since launch. I think my guilds record in WvW before I quit the game was 60-1? lol. Guess what guild I was in. anywho. You tell me who has more experience with wvw's lulz.

Lets debunk some things here WvW has ques on maybe 3-4 servers in all of NA and thats only during the primetime and maybe the top 3 servers hold ques all week once again only during primetime. Anet recently lowered the map caps to what 50-70 players on the BL's Maybe 100 on EB?  Where are all these players you speak of? Lets do some real fun math

being nice lets say 6 servers take wvw seriously which its prolly only 3 but hey im being nice. lets say 500 people per server for alls bls and EB?? being nice again. thats only 3k players doing wvw every night buddie in all of NA.

If i were to ask you tho 100k people are wvwing....lol.

I guess we prolly have a bit of a different definition when it comes to what is considered successful.

Also culling will never be fixed period never happening plz stop they have even admitted to as much themselves...I wish I could find the quote but it was awhile ago.

I'd be more impressed with 40k wvw kills if you had played on the bottom rated server since launch ....the fact you have been on nearly every #1 servers since launch is not something I'd be proud of ...in fact it leaves a stigma about your wvw skills and actually taints the value of the entire post .

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

such a trash game....

- Continual work to re-build the way our game loads models and compresses data, to allow for more visible characters/names in WvW in the long run as we build towards removing as much culling as possible from the game.

God, I never played a game in which enemys and mobs disappear or don't even render right in front of you. I really just can't wrap my head around this game even making it out of beta just fuckin mind boggling. I have so much hate torwards this game because of culling. Wish I could get my money back. Guess I should look into selling my account.

I never played war or swtor so I didnt know what culling was. Now I know tho and I will never play a game with such a trash feature ever again.

Every game has culling in some form. You can't place 500 people in one area without it. Yes, even WoW has a culling feature. The difference is how it's implemented, and it depends on the number of people.

For small numbers, it's not an issue. 

For medium size numbers, generally games load in a low-resolution model in place of your actual character model, while waiting for the higher res model to be be able to render. This is what GW2 has now.

For extremely large quantities of players (most games don't have to worry about this), not even the low res solution works that well. 

You forget, not many games have to be prepared for 500 people being in exactly one area at the exact same time.  But culling is always there, in every online game. It's put in place so people the clients don't crash trying to load 500 character models. Only so much data can be transfered over the network at once. 

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Negative light?

I will be upset if they postpone it for another 6 months.

Overreacting much?

Well, the thing is its fast paced and you can jump in and out at a whim.

OTOH you have game like EvE (great game) which you need to invest half of your life and have superior organisation which is awesomely hardcore.

Anyway, from time to time theres some awesome gameplay in GW2 like 4 hour keep sieges where both sides do a lot of crazy stuff to try to capture/defend and its definately worth participating. At other times its just zerg vs. zerg capturing/recapturing ;P

Originally posted by Bad.dog

I'd be more impressed with 40k wvw kills if you had played on the bottom rated server since launch ....the fact you have been on nearly every #1 servers since launch is not something I'd be proud of ...in fact it leaves a stigma about your wvw skills and actually taints the value of the entire post .

He is a prime example of WvWvW bandwagoner feeding of other people efforts. I guess he is upset his "style of play" of jumping servers and leech has been shut down (or cost a lot of gems). Its "style of play" people DONT want on their server and is generaly despised by community.

Anywas....dont feed it ;P