Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained: Be Careful What You Wish For Dev Blog

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A new developer blog has cropped up on the Camelot Unchained site. Entitled "Be Careful What You Wish For", Mark Jacobs discusses the road he and his team traveled as they began to consider making an MMO. 

Well, quite a while ago a friend of mine and I were discussing what kind of games could succeed in Asia. He gave me some tips and I filed those away for future use. Many months later I remembered one of those tips, the one that had been especially important to me throughout my career, use dragons! One of my first online games was, of course, Dragon’s Gate and I still wear the same dragon charm that I have worn for over 20 years. Putting dragons into a game is hardly new. However, what if our world’s dragons were a mere reflection of what these beings are in their own reality? In addition, what if in their dimension their technology is what we call magic? Then, what if a cataclysmic event pierced the walls (Veil) and the power from that dimension flooded our world – a world with no magic, wizards, and dragons? Moreover, what if that power brought these legends and stories, dreams and nightmares, to life all at once? How would the world be changed? Would it even survive? This shattered world is the backdrop for what comes next.

Read the full post on the Camelot Unchained site. Also be sure to head to our forums and see what else Mark Jacobs has to say. He came by for a visit!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

So...

No DaoC 2 then. It could have been so simple Mark, so simple.

But if you decide to go another way, then without me and a lot of Friends.

Your MMO will then just be "another MMO" out there in the Massive MMO Soup pot.

And you said to us that you have learned from what happend. So i ask myself what you have learned. For me when i read that, you have learned NOT to listen to the community. They have only one single wish, just one; Make the fucking DaoC 2.

Nothing more nothing less. And instead of pick that up (you would sink in money on Kickstarter with that) you go and give us "just" 3 Realm PvP, cut off the whole PvE Part and thats it?

Sry, i dont see "all the Old Vets" running to you. Some, sure, because they are still searching. They are unsure about what TESO will give us/them. But sry, 3 Realm RvR is just not enough. Period.

Anyways....good luck with your "Dragon Magic" whatnot World. It will be just 1 of 10000, nothing special.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Thanks for more Camelot Unchained info. I signed up on the mailing list. Look forward to hearing more over the next few years until it's finished.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• vkejaivkejai Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Have to agree with Ilaya
  • rimaxo14rimaxo14 Member Posts: 118
    Oh man!! This truly excites me!

EVGA FTW-3 MOBO X58
    EVGA GTX 580
    G.SKILL RIPJAW 12GB
    INTEL I7 950
    CORSAIR H70 CPU COOLER
    CORSAIR 1200W 80+GOLD

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Age of Camelot Unchained ?

Why do redundancy needs to start at the title already ?

Do we have Conans here maybe ?

So, who is in charge for that crap this time ?

Let me guess, its a game were you can raid a horse and swing a sword ?

• rimaxo14rimaxo14 Member Posts: 118
    damn whose cranky today....

EVGA FTW-3 MOBO X58
    EVGA GTX 580
    G.SKILL RIPJAW 12GB
    INTEL I7 950
    CORSAIR H70 CPU COOLER
    CORSAIR 1200W 80+GOLD

• bstar666bstar666 Member UncommonPosts: 9

If you want to make a game for the asian market, do that. But i don´t think, that the US/eu Market is going to like that.

Oh,... and don´t forget to put big boobs and a short skirts on the dragons.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468
    Originally posted by Ilaya

So...

No DaoC 2 then. It could have been so simple Mark, so simple.

But if you decide to go another way, then without me and a lot of Friends.

Your MMO will then just be "another MMO" out there in the Massive MMO Soup pot.

And you said to us that you have learned from what happend. So i ask myself what you have learned. For me when i read that, you have learned NOT to listen to the community. They have only one single wish, just one; Make the fucking DaoC 2.

Nothing more nothing less. And instead of pick that up (you would sink in money on Kickstarter with that) you go and give us "just" 3 Realm PvP, cut off the whole PvE Part and thats it?

Sry, i dont see "all the Old Vets" running to you. Some, sure, because they are still searching. They are unsure about what TESO will give us/them. But sry, 3 Realm RvR is just not enough. Period.

Anyways....good luck with your "Dragon Magic" whatnot World. It will be just 1 of 10000, nothing special.

Really?  I'm really tired of this "entitled" attitude.  Simply, it's crap and just as destructive as any "greedy" publisher in the industry.

Hate to break it to you, but this is as close to DAoC 2 as you'll get.  You have the RvR and you have a game world drawing from the very same myths, legends and lore that DAoC did.  What more could you ask for?

It's actually the best of both worlds.  Essentially Mark and his team are revisiting some of the core aspects that made DAoC but with more knowledge and experience.  For me, much of the charm of DAoC wasn't just the RvR and the community that came with it, but it was the lore (something the game strayed from with each expansion).

For me, that's exciting.  It gives them room to re-think how all this rich "history" is resolved from scratch as opposed to having to carry some baggage and poor decisions from DAoC.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    anyone thinking this game will be what he is saying at this moment need to learn a bit about the industry more. Games evolve over time and so will this one as more people give imput and interest. He has a small team now so he cannot build a true DAOC 2 like the first but there will be a evolution of pve im sure later on if people want and ask for it. This guy got shit on by his peers and his fans during the warhammer EA times , if anyone has learned their lession to listen to his fans , its mark jacobs trust me.
  • killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    That's OK Ilaya go back and sit on that couch and be a hater, while others try to change things.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by killahh
    That's OK Ilaya go back and sit on that couch and be a hater, while others try to change things.

Mate.....

Dont take me as an "Hate everything" guy. I can assure you i am not. I have an open Mind especially when it comes to games. I love innovation, i dont like ppl which just hate a game because it has not the features others game had and so forth.

The Thing is, that the whole (i think) DaoC Community wait's for just DaoC 2. I think also that when you would cut back DaoC to Vanilla times, take a Cry Engin 3 or [insert Game Engine you like/prefer], reforge it, re texture it, do some new quests, cut out some of the classes or/and Add-ons,  it would sell itself like butter. But, and now it comes, most of us want to have a "as close as possible" 1:1 ""copy""/new version of that. With PvE, with all the Classquests and therfore the Lore which was closly bound to that.

We want to have back the Strenght buff to wear our crafting mats and wanna have back a good laugh when that Buff goes away and you where stuck in the middle of nowhere. We want to sit on that one Fin Spot again, deep in the Woods and ""grind"" Exp and do socializing. We also want back DF and do PvE down there,we want the DF feeling back, never sure if a foe has logged off down there, we want to have open Dungeons and so forth. Also we want back the Feeling standing in Front of the Closed DF and then, because angry of that, going out in the Fields and take our beloved Keeps back and relicts. I could go on for hours.....i think you to.

And now it comes. A Great announcement and a Trailer/Teaser, which INSTANTLY makes you think we FINALLY get our DaoC 2. But then, reading through the Interviews, going through all the articles, reading the Webpage, we are let down. Everything we hoped for dissapeard in a second. You start reading about Asian Market and Dragons ( it was so cool to get the respec stone finally back then), 3 Factions with nearly no PvE and so forth. This is just disappointing, for many of us. I am quite sure that i am not alone with that feeling.

And as i said already. With the concept as it stands now, with no more info of that, it will be just another MMO in that huge MMO sauce pot. Nothing more nothing less.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

People seem to be failing to grasp the forest for the frickin trees here.

THE single most important thing about this game/announcement is that a developer has FINALLY figured out that trying to make a "do all" MMO isnt going to work.

This is the way MMO's were trending before WOW released.  The community was moving towards a larger number of smaller games targetted towards different styles of MMO players.  I.E. a game for people who like FFA PVP, a game for RVR PVP'ers, a game for Raid PVE'ers, etc etc.

I'll support this game 100% simply for the fact that he had the stones to tell people he is putting extremely minimal PVE in and focusing the game entirely around RvR and supporting said RVR via crafting, etc.  And i'm not even a huge PVP fan, i generally like raid drive PVE.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

People seem to be failing to grasp the forest for the frickin trees here.

THE single most important thing about this game/announcement is that a developer has FINALLY figured out that trying to make a "do all" MMO isnt going to work.

This is the way MMO's were trending before WOW released.  The community was moving towards a larger number of smaller games targetted towards different styles of MMO players.  I.E. a game for people who like FFA PVP, a game for RVR PVP'ers, a game for Raid PVE'ers, etc etc.

I'll support this game 100% simply for the fact that he had the stones to tell people he is putting extremely minimal PVE in and focusing the game entirely around RvR and supporting said RVR via crafting, etc.  And i'm not even a huge PVP fan, i generally like raid drive PVE.

Yes, this!

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414

Even if he wanted to make DaoC 2, he couldn't. I am pretty sure he doesn't own the IP anymore.

Deal with it.

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    It's gotta get made first. I will donate some. It sounds good, but we shall see if he can reach that goal which is freakin huge. When I start my MMOs kick starter campaign in Q2 2014 i'm not asking that amount, but I will have it out of alpha almost by then. keep us informed mark I know your reading this :)

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by rwyan

Hate to break it to you, but this is as close to DAoC 2 as you'll get.  You have the RvR and you have a game world drawing from the very same myths, legends and lore that DAoC did.  What more could you ask for?

^ Agreed ^

Some people are never happy. But I certainly am excited about this, and will be eagerly following Camelot Unchained.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Sounds awesome, can't wait. A new and refreshing idea.
  • DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Sounds good so far.

Ahh, Dragons Gate. Good times on AOL. Before they wanted to charge by the hour of gameplay. :(

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    LOL AT THE FIRST COMMENT! SO SILLY. LOVE MMORPG.COM

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• Deerhuntah60Deerhuntah60 Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by OgreRaper
    Originally posted by rwyan

^ Agreed ^

Some people are never happy. But I certainly am excited about this, and will be eagerly following Camelot Unchained.

+1 Will be following this for sure. And he cant make it a DAoC 2 since the franchies and title franchies and licenses are out of his hands, so this is about as close to a possible DAoC 2 that we may ever get but time will tell.

Happy to see Mark Jacobs is back at it. He already has my attention from his past  2 blogs and I still play DAoC to this day purely for the RvR (or whats left of it since its mainly stealth group) with friends that I met in DAoC over the years. Heres to hoping Mark Jacobs pulls another rabbit out of his hat with his past gem of DAoC.

DAoC didnt have a very big team at first, but of course of development he got investors and expanded. Nice thing now is a smaller team has more freedom with less investors letting him focus on his past success and improve upon his mistakes. :)

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Sounds like he has no real own idea for a new game and just wants to make a game which might be successfull in the biggest mmo market (asia). So lets add some dragons. Doesn't sound too exciting.

And concerning his question how our world would do if dragons entered it... we would kick their asses back to oblivion for sure. ;)

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Oh man! Just do DAOC2 ! Dont make experiments . This is your last chance in industrie!

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    It sounds interesting on paper, but I stick with and enjoy MMOs for a long time because of variety in them. Something like this would probably be a blast for the short term, but after a few months of it I would likely tire. MMOs that kept me hooked for years were complicated beasts, with tons of different things to do and work on. 
  • hadatihadati Member UncommonPosts: 28

I played DAoC from release until ToA.  This is the spiritual successor to DAoC.  

To get the rights to the DAoC IP they'd have to buy it back from Mythic which, even were it for sale, would jack the price and thereby detract from the quality of the game because instead of the money going into development it would be sunk first and foremost into the IP rights.  

Or they could get into bed with EA, which would be worse because, as we all know, EA is the devil.

To me, MJ and crew are doing the very best possible thing - they are taking the part of DAoC which the hardcore crowd loved (RvR) and removing the 50 level PvE grindfest and sidestepping IP rights by calling it Camelot Unchained, code for "This *IS* DAoC 2, but we can't call it that".  Why else would they use the word "Camelot" and say it's a tri-realm RvR game?

Connect the dots man.  It's not that hard.  They're not that far apart.

@ Ilaya (OP) - What has MJ learned?  He's learned not to get into bed with EA and other big companies that end up effing up the game by trying to bend it into something that he and the hardcore RvR playerbase doesn't want.  

You think he has learned not to listen to the community?  He's kickstarting it with his own money and the help of loyal fans precisely so that he can make it what longtime DAoC fans want.  If it was not done in this way EA would be calling the shots and they'd demand a WoW-clone with lots of PvE and a slapped-on RvR system as an afterthought and they'd want it spammed out ASAP so it'd be released without a lot of features and it'd suck and flop in 6 months because it'd be a frankenstein of what MJ wanted, EA wanted and the players wanted.

Think man!  Think!  You should be excited.  This is DAoC2 in all by name.  Finally, after 12 years we are going to get a chance to back the spiritual sequel to the greatest MMO ever!

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.