Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gw2: Hyped at first? What about now?

Comments

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by fs23otm

GW2 is still the best MMO on the market... and will remain that way until possibly ESO. 

not even close. It's only best in some categories : marketing,  monetization and hype

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

To be honest I wasent even following this game at all so the hype for this game rubbed off on me, I even posted a somewhat hate post back in the beta weekends.

I played the game as you would in any themepark  and didn't knew really what I was doing.

I gave it a second chance and really dove into the game mechanics and got hooked.

I'm still here.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Originally posted by FromHell

GW2 is still the best MMO on the market... and will remain that way until possibly ESO. 

not even close. It's only best in some categories : marketing,  monetization and hype

Best game is always a opinion, but on these boards It's more important to write " IMO, or opinion or IMHO" before writing your feelings  or your will get shot down by straw people who loves to point out things like you.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by FromHell

When hater's spend more time and energy posting in GW2 forums then moving on and playing some other MMO I think GW2 wins ,,,perhaps this is both good marketing and hype ?

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by dimnikar
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by akiira69
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by Volkon

3 mill is impressive while you have the goliath WOW at 10 Mill? you need your reasoning checked. Untill David(GW2) topples Goliath(which it never will) it will never be the fastest Growing MMO. Oh and justst for the Record the number 1 sales for MMO's for Amazon is Tera.

I'm sorry... I seem to have misplaced the data... how quickly did WoW hit 3 million again? Or SWToR? Tera perhaps... when did they hit 3 million?

Fastest growing. That means growing (or grew) the fastest.

Where's that 40K Kills screenshot from WvW by the way? Still waiting to see that...

Wrath of the Lich King sold 2.8 million copies in it's first 24 hours of availability. This makes it the fastest selling computer game of all time, beating the record set by the previous World of Warcraft expansion The Burning Crusade, which sold 2.4 million within its first 24 hours.

Expansion, yes. That's special. How about WoW itself? How long did it take WoW to reach 3 million? An expansion isn't growth. That's selling to the choir, to mutilate a phrase. WoW sold those copies to it's alleged 10 million subscribers, but how long did it take WoW to grow to that 3 million mark originally?

I love this your floundering for excuses every time i prove you wrong.

How did you prove him wrong? GW2 grew to 3+ millions accounts much faster than WoW did back in 2004 at its release. Volkon is actually right, and you are wrong. Part of why you are wrong is that you compare apples and oranges, aka vanilla games and expansions of well established games.

Oh and yes, where's that 40k kills in WvW thingy? Now that it's been mentionned, I'm eager to see it too.

If WoW hadn't created the market for this type of game, GW2 wouldn't sell jack squat.

It's amazing how many of you dare to compare a game releasing today to a game released nearly 10 years ago. Do you even know how much the market grew since then?

Think of it this way: if the market for a product is 10 people and you sell to 3 of those in 2005, but it's 100 people in 2012 and you sell to 5... Which sold faster?

Lots of ways to look at this. Only one is correct.

I'd like to also add that WoW also raised the bar so you can also look at it that way as well so numbers that would have seemed like a huge success 10 years ago would be seen as a failure today. You were correct when you stated there were lots of ways to look at it and no, not only one is correct because there are always going to be context.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

GW2 would need a complete overhaul for it to become my primary game. Right now that does not look like it will ever happen so long as all these people that think GW2 is a success or is making money now that release has come and gone continue to overhype the game.

World of Warcraft will remain the over all best mmo rpg on the market. MoP at first sounded stupid to me. I logged in anyhow and found out that it was actually great, and I really shouldn't be suprised. As much as people hate on wow as a whole or compares xpacs and says expac y was better than expac z and so on ....... The expacs have all been great and the game continues to be great.

It's really that simple.

It's greatness I would contribute most to it's versitility and ever changing environment.

--- It's missing player created content and housing

--- It's missing dynamic events to some extent. The wpvp in wow is actually a very dynamic event, no it does not offer in game rewards so much, but it does offer very memorable moments in time that Horde and Alliance throw in each others faces in game, on the forums, you tube,  facebook, it's everywhere............ It's the players that make it possible too.

Don't let other people ruin your fun, Wow is still great after all this time and is sitll head and shoulders above the rest. You can look and look and look, but you won't find a better one size fits alll game, it just doesn't exist.

Originally posted by KingofHartz

GW2 would need a complete overhaul for it to become my primary game. Right now that does not look like it will ever happen so long as all these people that think GW2 is a success or is making money now that release has come and gone continue to overhype the game.

World of Warcraft will remain the over all best mmo rpg on the market. MoP at first sounded stupid to me. I logged in anyhow and found out that it was actually great, and I really shouldn't be suprised. As much as people hate on wow as a whole or compares xpacs and says expac y was better than expac z and so on ....... The expacs have all been great and the game continues to be great.

It's really that simple.

It's greatness I would contribute most to it's versitility and ever changing environment.

--- It's missing dynamic events to some extent. The wpvp in wow is actually a very dynamic event, no it does not offer in game rewards so much, but it does offer very memorable moments in time that Horde and Alliance throw in each others faces in game, on the forums, you tube,  facebook, it's everywhere............ It's the players that make it possible too.

Don't let other people ruin your fun, Wow is still great after all this time and is sitll head and shoulders above the rest. You can look and look and look, but you won't find a better one size fits alll game, it just doesn't exist.

So you want WoW 2.0.

got it.

Originally posted by Torgrim

It's really that simple.

So you want WoW 2.0.

got it.

That wouldn't be a bad thing at all in the land of Tyria, but all we have now is a massive zerg fest and limited hotbar options. BORRRRRING!!!!!!!!

It's really that simple.

So you want WoW 2.0.

got it.

That wouldn't be a bad thing at all in the land of Tyria, but all we have now is a massive zerg fest and limited hotbar options. BORRRRRING!!!!!!!!

Great to see that you have a game you love, but why post your thoughts here in GW2 forums when you don't want to play GW2 you want to play WoW 2.0?

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I was excited had the most fun the first month and a half, then the nerfs to loot and to the engineering class began and it's been nothing but more bugs and disappointments so far. I dunno who took over the wheel post launch but Nov 15th left alot to be desired. They should never have turned 180 from their design plans.

and when it comes to things like DR, why is it companies don't have someone on staff who keeps up with mmo design history and how the playerbase receives those design flaws? DR would have never been implemented if they were really gamers with a knowledge of the history of mmo's because they would have remembered the large number of games that were cancelled because of devs implementing DR and it affecting players not bots.

And don't get me started on the fail design of "dungeon-only focus in a game about DE's" because that's a whole other pile of steaming fail entirely.

Don't misunderstand they had the best design at the beginning, what failed was their management post launch.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Well at the very least the developers don't sound so 'cocky' and 'we know better then you' tone as they did right after launch so I'm guessing (hoping) they were humbled. 

As for the game? Eh I'm not the best judge, I feel like its highly over-rated but considering how over he top the fan bois are the 'highly' part would probably not exist if it was another game without such over the top fanbois behind it. Its doing okay I suppose, nothing amazing. In some ways it might hurt since rather then promoting great F2P options a lot of Eastern games have been pushing (Aion or Tera as recent ones) its going to promote more box sales with the same type of cash shop those games have or worst, specially considering Secret world's shift did so good as well.

Yeah i know, somewhat off topic but truthfully I just feel the game itself didn't do much of 'changing' anything outside of making more focus on the concept of "B2P with cash shop" which can be a good AND bad thing for the consumer. Good that we don't have to maybe pay for a subscription, but bad that a cash shop will typically rake in a lot more cash from our pockets.

Welp, I thought that the cash shop complaining was done, but I forgot about you.  lol.  There's nothing bad about the cash shop.  You don't need to spend any money for anything outside of the box.  If you're impatient and/or you want to support the company, you can spend money, otherwise there's no reason to break out your wallet to remain competitive or access "hidden" content like practically every DLC based Steam game does these days, but I don't see anyone bickering about.

The cash shop doesn't have a "bad" side.  "Great F2P" options in Tera?  I don't see it.  You have to spend real money... there's no way to earn CS currency in-game like there is in GW2.

How is that "great"?  More to the point, how is it better? 

You're still on your crusade, I see.

It's really that simple.

So you want WoW 2.0.

got it.

Great to see that you have a game you love, but why post your thoughts here in GW2 forums when you don't want to play GW2 you want to play WoW 2.0?

There is wow bashing all throughout this thread. I figured I would throw out my two cents since I have played both.

It's not wow2.0 that I would be after but it would be better than what currently is.

I think GW2 could be fixed

- add better healing

- add about 12 more hotbar keys and open up the entire book of skills for use

- remove most if not all cooldowns - make the game more a  nuke fest than a zerg fest, but ad in warrior like defensive cooldowns so you have a chance of living through a nuke

- remove weapon swapping and give everyone a passive swiftness cooldown so we are not equipping weapons just for swiftness - what a huge waste

- talents may remain as they are but at least you can talilor them for your one primary weapon which you can do now but grudgenly

- add mounts or some faster form of travel - why? Well because this is a video game and it's fighting. A fighting video game should enable you to be very aggressive. As this game is right now, the long run back once you die makes your play style alot more passive than it should be and that is the fundamental problem with the entire game. I play as a warrior, I have some defensive cooldowns that make my invulnerable. When they are up I play aggressive just like I should be able to all the time, when they are down, I am running back from the dead or running back to my zerg group, where I will wait for them to come off cool down. I am playing agressively when I can, however most of them time, I am playing passively and so is everyone else. The game needs to become more of an agressive combate style game. I want to be emotionally angry when I am playing, that's my immersion. Right now, all that is broken because the run back is way to long and there is a downed mechanic.

- get rid of the downed mechanic I have said this from day one.

These things I have mentioned are not quiet a complete overhaul, but it's big enough of an overhaul to get me to come back and enjoy the game rather than just give it a second chance.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

That sure sounds like WoW 2.0 to me.. you want them to effectively remove most of the things that make GW2 different.

EDIT: I do kind of agree about the mounts though, even if it's just for an aesthetic.  I don't care if they make me faster.

It's really that simple.

So you want WoW 2.0.

got it.

There is wow bashing all throughout this thread. I figured I would throw out my two cents since I have played both.

It's not wow2.0 that I would be after but it would be better than what currently is.

- add better healing

- remove most if not all cooldowns - make the game more a  nuke fest than a zerg fest, but ad in warrior like defensive cooldowns so you have a chance of living through a nuke

- remove weapon swapping and give everyone a passive swiftness cooldown so we are not equipping weapons just for swiftness - what a huge waste

- talents may remain as they are but at least you can talilor them for your one primary weapon which you can do now but grudgenly

- add mounts or some faster form of travel - why? Well because this is a video game and it's fighting. A fighting video game should enable you to be very aggressive. As this game is right now, the long run back once you die makes your play style alot more passive than it should be and that is the fundamental problem with the entire game. I play as a warrior, I have some defensive cooldowns that make my invulnerable. When they are up I play aggressive just like I should be able to all the time, when they are down, I am running back from the dead or running back to my zerg group, where I will wait for them to come off cool down. I am playing agressively when I can, however most of them time, I am playing passively and so is everyone else. The game needs to become more of an agressive combate style game. I want to be emotionally angry when I am playing, that's my immersion. Right now, all that is broken because the run back is way to long and there is a downed mechanic.

These things I have mentioned are not quiet a complete overhaul, but it's big enough of an overhaul to get me to come back and enjoy the game rather than just give it a second chance.

WoW bashing?

Yet again you asking for WoW 2.0.

Why can't we have games that is not like you are used to?

I really don't get it, why do you want a clone when your fav game is right there?

It's really that simple.

So you want WoW 2.0.

got it.

- add better healing

WoW bashing?

Yet again you asking for WoW 2.0.

Why can't we have games that is not like you are used to?

I really don't get it, why do you want a clone when your fav game is right there?

Lol Wow has much more than what I have asked for. This does not even touch the surface of wow2.0 all I have mentioned is what it would take to fix GW2 and make it fun. It you want to play a passive combat game then have it it, I think it sucks and so do alot of others. Want to make it better? Then open up the floodgates to aggressive game play

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I'll just address the OP's title and avoid a lot of the mess lol. 

GW2: Hyped at first? What about now?

Answer: It's one of the most played and most talked about MMO's out there still. It's influencing future MMO's and some current MMO's already. It's rated high by professional reviews and players. Servers are still packed. 

So... fact is, while the game was hyped a good deal it's seemed to have lived up to it for the most part. Like any game there are some that don't like it for one reason or another, but they seem to be in the minority so it doesn't really matter. 

The game does have room for improvement, but those will come and be in the spirit of the game rather than trying to turn it into something it's not (Such as WoW2.0). 

Hope this helped clear things up for you OP. 

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126

Honestly i been full exotic for like...2 months or so now...and dont feel like grinding FOTM. So now they have laurels..and to get them u gotta do dailies. the dailies changed and now they feel more of a hassle instead of natural. In all honesty the game feels like i already beat it. Playin a mmorpg just for kicks is not what i like..either i like story progression or gear progression. I feel complete with my character and honestly i feel money has no value in this game...i have 200g and nothing to really buy..unless i wanna get a legendary i can spend some...but since legendaries are only like a costume skin what is the point of that??

All in all it was a pretty good game at first. and i did however like the events and actually seeing people around killing stuff etc..was epic...but now i have no reason to play...for fun? Perhaps for fun i suppose but to be honest there are alot of other games i could be having more fun with. for progression? no real progression to be had. Currently im playing Eve online and its a fun game....with real progression. Sometimes boring but even while offline i still get progression. Im putting all my eggs into final fantasy 14 arr....hopefully that game has progression and immersion...As for GW2..i have no reason to play besides just messing around for an hour or so...and to be honest im looking for an mmorpg i can really sink my teeth into and if i have 1 hour or 8 hours to play i can play that entire duration and not feel bored and enjoy it. With guild wars 2 after i grind a dungeon and then go to the world and just finish off low level zones im pretty much pooped...

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by shingoukieh

Honestly i been full exotic for like...2 months or so now...and dont feel like grinding FOTM. So now they have laurels..and to get them u gotta do dailies. the dailies changed and now they feel more of a hassle instead of natural. In all honesty the game feels like i already beat it. Playin a mmorpg just for kicks is not what i like..either i like story progression or gear progression. I feel complete with my character and honestly i feel money has no value in this game...i have 200g and nothing to really buy..unless i wanna get a legendary i can spend some...but since legendaries are only like a costume skin what is the point of that??

All in all it was a pretty good game at first. and i did however like the events and actually seeing people around killing stuff etc..was epic...but now i have no reason to play...for fun? Perhaps for fun i suppose but to be honest there are alot of other games i could be having more fun with. for progression? no real progression to be had. Currently im playing Eve online and its a fun game....with real progression. Sometimes boring but even while offline i still get progression. Im putting all my eggs into final fantasy 14 arr....hopefully that game has progression and immersion...As for GW2..i have no reason to play besides just messing around for an hour or so...and to be honest im looking for an mmorpg i can really sink my teeth into and if i have 1 hour or 8 hours to play i can play that entire duration and not feel bored and enjoy it. With guild wars 2 after i grind a dungeon and then go to the world and just finish off low level zones im pretty much pooped...

I agree with this assessment. While I am nowhere near your level of completion in GW2, I feel that it is lacking in things to strive for and that's ok, but I do like earning things and feeling like I have a reason to keep playing. Playing to have fun is fine and all but a large part of my fun is feeling like my character is growing. But, I haven't reached that point yet so I guess I am ok.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Originally posted by FlawSGI
    Originally posted by shingoukieh

I agree with this assessment. While I am nowhere near your level of completion in GW2, I feel that it is lacking in things to strive for and that's ok, but I do like earning things and feeling like I have a reason to keep playing. Playing to have fun is fine and all but a large part of my fun is feeling like my character is growing. But, I haven't reached that point yet so I guess I am ok.

Yep. By far the best argument against GW2 atm is the lack of a clear progression path and lack of progression in general. I am pretty suprised less people don't mention this. Personally I just play off and on until I decide on a goal. At first it was my legendary, then it was focus on getting sets of gear for different builds...and it still is! I also started leveling an alt so that helped me create some good goals for myself. Some people are not programmed this way and need something to hold their hand for progression. I think that the game is heading in that direction just fine though and in a few months we will have all these nice progression systems that will keep us playing so that they can start focusing on stuff like new dungeons, zones, and events. 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Yep here are problems with mid term progression and connection to the world lore through story telling. I think however most people who enjoy gw2 understand that its a fame that will keep maturing under the stewardship of Anet who genuinely seem to be award of issues and are proactive. My own trust comes from knowing their track record from gw1. Can't wait until they start expanding skills :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Celcius

Yep. By far the best argument against GW2 atm is the lack of a clear progression path and lack of progression in general.

By "progression" you actually mean "getting uber gear" and that is actually big argument FOR the game, not against it.

And theres plenty of lateral progression, even to point people claim theres "too much grind" lol

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by neobahamut20

Meh, wait to enter Eorzea.

Tyria died when they hired the maple story chick that ruins games and since her, their manifesto went down the toilet.

They made promises they couldnt keep. Unless they admit it, fire their whole team like Square-Enix did and hire people that care, Tyria will not be reborn.

One person does not ruin a company - a whole company does that.

The chick he's talking about is more than capable of bringing down an entire company, given enough influence, which she has.

You make me like charity

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Zzad

After playing for more than 5 months,i can still say GW2 is by far the best MMO i´ve ever played!

And it just born....wait a couple of expansions ^^

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

When you make a post like that you are obliged to post your MMO resume so you can show that its not the first MMO you play for more than 3 months.

I am not sure if this post is ironic or not but if it isn't just lol.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Zzad

After playing for more than 5 months,i can still say GW2 is by far the best MMO i´ve ever played!

And it just born....wait a couple of expansions ^^

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

When you make a post like that you are obliged to post your MMO resume so you can show that its not the first MMO you play for more than 3 months.

I am not sure if this post is ironic or not but if it isn't just lol.

more like cynacism.  how much stock can you really put into a comment that basically says "best game i've ever played" then shows off a few random screenshots, like it's an advertisement?

You make me like charity

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Was fairly hyped for it, bought it, played it 2ish months, moved on. Good game, but not something for a veteran MMO player or someone who likes progression or extensive content. Very good game for what it does though.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.