Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] WildStar: Uncovering Nexus' Secrets

Comments

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Pyuk
    The game may be great, but my trust for NCsoft is nil at this point. NCsoft - where MMOs go to die.

^^This

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'm always very picky when it comes to games' graphic style. I'm very biased towards "ultra realistic" gfx, yet I love the Wildstar cartoony style :D

I guess it's because the art fits the game's humorous and over-the-top approach. This is not a game that takes itself seriously. If it plays like a cartoon, then it's perfectly fitting that it looks like a cartoon. It's supposed to be lighthearted and fun, but that doesn't mean it has to be shallow and trivial. We'll have to see how it all plays out in the long run, though. 

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    The art style is very Don Bluth like, which is cool. Reminds me a lot fo the old Space Ace and Dragon's Lair games.
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

I like the art style, and the world looks great to me, but I can't get past the console style combat, which (to me) does not lend itself well to a mmo setting, at all. I'm also not fond of the whole path system; I'd think it was rather stupid if they actually tried to divide development time equally between soldier and any of the other paths.

To clarify why I don't like "action" combat in a mmo, it makes gear and skill balance impossible and not as meaningful. I guess I do prefer the numbers game, in an RPG. If I am able to ever get past that, and maybe look at this, not as a mmorpg I invest in, but just a game, I might find it fun.

• Heretic451Heretic451 Member Posts: 69
    Cartoony? Yep. But at least it isn't trying to pretend it's not, hiding behind cheesy 2004 graphics. The animation looks great.
  • inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    I cannot wait for this to come! Art looks fantastic!

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Well, I am hyped again. Finally a developer that understands importance of solo players. Man, end game with solo content? Freaking awesome!!!! Don't care what the wow haters say about this game I am absolutely thrilled that Carbine is saying that they Improved on WOW. Now that is what I am looking for. This game is drawing on the best of wow, gw2 and others. Now those are smart developers!!!
  • SWGbestevaSWGbesteva Member Posts: 10

action as well as tab targeting, if u so choose. too lazy to look for the link i read that in

but i did read it

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Been a few months for some decent videos on this game. The explorer path looks very platform heavy. That may be lots of fun if there is enough content to keep it going.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by BadSpock

As long as you can do all 4 paths on the same character to really, really create some great play variety I'll be happy.

For some reason it kind of reminds me of Earth and Beyond - you had 3 seperate leveling paths in that game - Combat/Trade/Exploration - but the concept was a bit underdeveloped in that game.

I love the idea of the Explorer/Scientist/Colonist in this game - now we just have to see about how well that idea is executed.

This is exactly what I was thinking too! Hopefully Carbine are the ones who makes it a better concept!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by Pyuk
    The game may be great, but my trust for NCsoft is nil at this point. NCsoft - where MMOs go to die.

^^ This

If it was published by someone else, I'd consider it. But NCSoft will not be getting any more of my money.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by BadSpock

As long as you can do all 4 paths on the same character to really, really create some great play variety I'll be happy.

For some reason it kind of reminds me of Earth and Beyond - you had 3 seperate leveling paths in that game - Combat/Trade/Exploration - but the concept was a bit underdeveloped in that game.

I love the idea of the Explorer/Scientist/Colonist in this game - now we just have to see about how well that idea is executed.

I'm glad someone else remembers old E&B. The 3-path leveling system was interesting, it was my first MMO so I had nothing to compare it to. It was one of the earlier games so I can forgive it for being underdeveloped. What annoyed me the most was that no one class could go from raw materials to finished product when it came to crafting. Explorers mined asteroids and tradesmen turned it into components then each class had their own set of finished items they could make. I could see someone saying "game balance" but it cut out a style of play for the pure crafter. I hope this game doesn't do that.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Djildjamesh

The animation in the first clip is amazing :D no 'stiffness' and just silly :D

I like the fact that's it's a non-serious MMO for once ^^   Been a while since we saw a good one. Too many MMO's try to create realistic graphics in which only a rare few succeed imo :)

This

• NeikenNeiken Member Posts: 254

Shut up and take my money! Id give my left nipple to test for this game.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by drtack1

I am ready to give it a try. I have somewhat been following things on WildStar here and there. Hopefully it will be fun. Currently when I want to play a shooter style game my go to is Fire Fall. Not sure Wild Star will be enough to take Fire Fall's place, but it does look fun. I dont mind the "looney toonsy" graphics. 

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by drtack1

I am ready to give it a try. I have somewhat been following things on WildStar here and there. Hopefully it will be fun. Currently when I want to play a shooter style game my go to is Fire Fall. Not sure Wild Star will be enough to take Fire Fall's place, but it does look fun. I dont mind the "looney toonsy" graphics. 

This not a shooter style MMO so it can't take fire falls place, in that regard, as they are different styles altogether. I will say that fire fall is meh, but Wild Star could be fun, who knows. 

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    hahaha i love that top video of the Girl with the cowgirl accent. That was great.
  • HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Bring it!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Originally posted by Leethe
    This is beginning to gather pace.

The hype certainly is. I have reached the conculsion that no MMO is worth playing at launch, give it a year and you will have something thats fleshed out into a MMO.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    God do we really really need to decide that enthusiasm is 'hype' once more. Really old record. Game looks like it could be another wow like experience, interesting to see How end game developed, could be fun potentially.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    really looking forward to this game,  this is the first game that made me want a house since SWG , really like the telegraphs as well since in most action games you just roll out of the way in one of 4 directions well as the telegraphs increase in complexity to me it brings more skill to dodging. I was not a huge fan of the overly cartooney look at first , but considering how well WoW's graphics have held up over the years its probably a wise choice. To me the MMO industry needs inovation now more than ever, and i hope this game raises the bar for the industry.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    lol Meet the Exiles is probably one of my favorite MMO promos ever loved it!:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    How is the combat?  Is tab-target or action-based like Guild Wars 2.   That will be a critical deciding factor for me.

Action based. No targeting at all. Dodging with a much more advanced telagraph system. Unlike GW2 they have the holly trinity. IMO thats a step up.

I'm afraid that's not true. There is tab-targeting in the game, although they recently introduced a "free-form" targeting as well.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Derros
    If you can get past the art style, which seems a little overly cartoony (looney toonsy might be a better description) to me, the game seems very interesting.

He, he, ... you wanted to say it looks like wow? :-) It does, at least to me, cartoony, vivid colors, ... but have no problem with that, wow style rocks as rocks gw2 realistic style.

Anyway ... as long as they are not pvp only and as long there is tab targeting ... I will for sure try.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

I'm not too bothered by the artsyle.  As long as there's some conflict or reasons lorewise I can, 'buy', into then that'll keep me playing for longer then a couple of days. If it's all cutesy, slapstick, then that'll get tiresome quickly.

The path thing could be a double edged sword.  It's great that people can actually feel useful potentially in a group by being able to access areas or missions a solo player couldn't, it could mean being reliant on others and working together to complete this stuff, which I've always enjoyed about MMOs.

Or it could mean players get cockblocked progression wise because an explorer/solider/whatever isn't about at the time and they can't complete something.  Or more likely, certain classes will be underpowered/boring to play so players won't bother rolling them and you'll end up top heavy in certain classes and missing out on doing half the content.

That's assuming everything synergises as well, (crafting, combat, story, world, etc, etc).  Time will tell I suppose.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!