Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gw2: Hyped at first? What about now?

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Volkon

Well to be fair the man in charge of A-net said he wanted to take on WOW in not so specific words.

They said they wanted to be #1. Nothing wrong with that. They never said they wanted to kill WoW or anything, just be #1

Didn't say there was anything wrong with that, but I fail to see a difference between killing WOW and dethroning it, I don't see how anyone can define killing as being a literal use of the word on this subject.

its all meaningless words, the only people that use these kinds of words and get wound up by it are people on forums like this and probably marketing men trying to impress.  Killing, dethroning ,hyping blah blah, they are games, and pretty different games at that.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by akiira69
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

3 mill is impressive while you have the goliath WOW at 10 Mill? you need your reasoning checked. Untill David(GW2) topples Goliath(which it never will) it will never be the fastest Growing MMO. Oh and justst for the Record the number 1 sales for MMO's for Amazon is Tera.

I'm sorry... I seem to have misplaced the data... how quickly did WoW hit 3 million again? Or SWToR? Tera perhaps... when did they hit 3 million?

Fastest growing. That means growing (or grew) the fastest.

Where's that 40K Kills screenshot from WvW by the way? Still waiting to see that...

Wrath of the Lich King sold 2.8 million copies in it's first 24 hours of availability. This makes it the fastest selling computer game of all time, beating the record set by the previous World of Warcraft expansion The Burning Crusade, which sold 2.4 million within its first 24 hours.

Expansion, yes. That's special. How about WoW itself? How long did it take WoW to reach 3 million? An expansion isn't growth. That's selling to the choir, to mutilate a phrase. WoW sold those copies to it's alleged 10 million subscribers, but how long did it take WoW to grow to that 3 million mark originally?

I love this your floundering for excuses every time i prove you wrong.

How did you prove him wrong? GW2 grew to 3+ millions accounts much faster than WoW did back in 2004 at its release. Volkon is actually right, and you are wrong. Part of why you are wrong is that you compare apples and oranges, aka vanilla games and expansions of well established games.

Oh and yes, where's that 40k kills in WvW thingy? Now that it's been mentionned, I'm eager to see it too.

I have shown source after source proving him wrong and he hasnt shown 1 source to back up his claims that is why he is wrong. Where is this source that says GW2 is the fastest growing video game of all time? hell the viewers of this site picked Pirate 101 as MMO of the Year for 2012. and Video Game of the Year went to Mass Effect 3.

Actually, I did like the source... for some reason you're ignoring it. Scroll up a bit.

Here's something else interesting: From that VGCharts thing you mentioned, the latest entry...

Guild Wars 2 :  8587

WoW, MoP    :  7162

TERA             :  2008

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Not the greatest game in the world, but exactly what I expected. Anyone expecting different obviously wasn't paying attention to the loads of info out there months and months before launch.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

3 mill is impressive while you have the goliath WOW at 10 Mill? you need your reasoning checked. Untill David(GW2) topples Goliath(which it never will) it will never be the fastest Growing MMO. Oh and justst for the Record the number 1 sales for MMO's for Amazon is Tera.

I'm sorry... I seem to have misplaced the data... how quickly did WoW hit 3 million again? Or SWToR? Tera perhaps... when did they hit 3 million?

Where's that 40K Kills screenshot from WvW by the way? Still waiting to see that...

Wrath of the Lich King sold 2.8 million copies in it's first 24 hours of availability. This makes it the fastest selling computer game of all time, beating the record set by the previous World of Warcraft expansion The Burning Crusade, which sold 2.4 million within its first 24 hours.

Expansion, yes. That's special. How about WoW itself? How long did it take WoW to reach 3 million? An expansion isn't growth. That's selling to the choir, to mutilate a phrase. WoW sold those copies to it's alleged 10 million subscribers, but how long did it take WoW to grow to that 3 million mark originally?

How did you prove him wrong? GW2 grew to 3+ millions accounts much faster than WoW did back in 2004 at its release. Volkon is actually right, and you are wrong. Part of why you are wrong is that you compare apples and oranges, aka vanilla games and expansions of well established games.

Oh and yes, where's that 40k kills in WvW thingy? Now that it's been mentionned, I'm eager to see it too.

If WoW hadn't created the market for this type of game, GW2 wouldn't sell jack squat.

It's amazing how many of you dare to compare a game releasing today to a game released nearly 10 years ago. Do you even know how much the market grew since then?

Think of it this way: if the market for a product is 10 people and you sell to 3 of those in 2005, but it's 100 people in 2012 and you sell to 5... Which sold faster?

Lots of ways to look at this. Only one is correct.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

I have shown source after source proving him wrong and he hasnt shown 1 source to back up his claims that is why he is wrong. Where is this source that says GW2 is the fastest growing video game of all time? hell the viewers of this site picked Pirate 101 as MMO of the Year for 2012. and Video Game of the Year went to Mass Effect 3.

So how fast has WoW got 3+ million accounts at its release in 2004? Please tell us. What I see is that you're full of it, like many here, and now that you've been cornered, you're trying to escape having to admit you were wrong with futile diversions and attempts to change the discussion topic, and also attempts to change what other people have said to make them appear wrong.

And where's that 40k kill screenshot? Still waiting... :)

Show me this source that says Guild Wars 2 is the Fastest Growing Video Game of All Time. Im still waiting.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

So how fast has WoW got 3+ million accounts at its release in 2004? Please tell us. What I see is that you're full of it, like many here, and now that you've been cornered, you're trying to escape having to admit you were wrong with futile diversions and attempts to change the discussion topic, and also attempts to change what other people have said to make them appear wrong.

Show me this source that says Guild Wars 2 is the Fastest Growing Video Game of All Time. Im still waiting.

Fastest Growing MMO, not video game. No moving the goalposts.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by colddog04

Your perception about his excuses vs your "proof" is strange. You seem completely incapable of looking at facts and and accepting them as facts. Every time you just talk about current populations of WoW and their expansion sales numbers. 

Here's a hint. When people talk about "fastest growing," they are not talking about current populations. WoW is actually declining right now. It was up around 12 million a couple of years ago and now it's down around 9 or 10 million. WoW is actually currently DECLINING, not GROWING. And when it first came out, it's growth was slower for the first 5 months than GW2's growth is now.

That isn't to say that GW2 will ever grow to 10 millionish, but up till this point, no other MMORPG has grown faster than GW2 during the first 5 months.

Before that, it was TOR, before that it was something else. At WOW's release the market wasn't as well known, it was in fact much smaller, with successful numbers being in the hundreds of thousands rather than millions. SImple fact of the matter is the market has grown and continues to grow with every new release.

There's also the simple fact that games such as WOW have grown old at this point, regardless of expansions. The graphics, the game-play, the presentation etc.. People are moving on to newer games, GW2 being one of them.

Not to take anything away from GW2's success as they have been very successful, I just won't be surprised when the next major release surpasses GW2's initial sales.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by dimnikar

If WoW hadn't created the market for this type of game, GW2 wouldn't sell jack squat.

It's amazing how many of you dare to compare a game releasing today to a game released nearly 10 years ago. Do you even know how much the market grew since then?

Think of it this way: if the market for a product is 10 people and you sell to 3 of those in 2005, but it's 100 people in 2012 and you sell to 5... Which sold faster?

Lots of ways to look at this. Only one is correct.

Yeah, you make a good point. Without WoW, the market MAY have not gotten as large as it did. GW2 is definitely profiting off of WoWs success. But that doesn't change the fact that GW2 is the fastest selling paid for MMORPG to date. 

And it's really only like 1 person that is actually trying to claim that WoW grew at a faster rate. Everyone with half a brain knows that the times were different then and that WoW definitely did not sell anywhere near the same rate.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Your perception about his excuses vs your "proof" is strange. You seem completely incapable of looking at facts and and accepting them as facts. Every time you just talk about current populations of WoW and their expansion sales numbers. 

Here's a hint. When people talk about "fastest growing," they are not talking about current populations. WoW is actually declining right now. It was up around 12 million a couple of years ago and now it's down around 9 or 10 million. WoW is actually currently DECLINING, not GROWING. And when it first came out, it's growth was slower for the first 5 months than GW2's growth is now.

That isn't to say that GW2 will ever grow to 10 millionish, but up till this point, no other MMORPG has grown faster than GW2 during the first 5 months.

Before that, it was TOR, before that it was something else. At WOW's release the market wasn't as well known, it was in fact much smaller, with successful numbers being in the hundreds of thousands rather than millions. SImple fact of the matter is the market has grown and continues to grow with every new release.

There's also the simple fact that games such as WOW have grown old at this point, regardless of expansions. The graphics, the game-play, the presentation etc.. People are moving on to newer games, GW2 being one of them.

Not to take anything away from GW2's success as they have been very successful, I just won't be surprised when the next major release surpasses GW2's initial sales.

Yup, I agree. The market has grown and WoW was honeastly a huge part of the reason GW2 sold so much.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

That is a Dev Chat Transcript not a news article saying Guild Wars is the Fastest Growing MMO. I have tried every possible combinations of wording to find what is the fastest growing mmo of last year and every time i get either SWTOR or Diablo 3.  Not once have I found a single article to back up your claims that it is GW2. When you find that News Article THEN I will admit defeat. I will be waiting on baited breath for this undeniable proof.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well at the very least the developers don't sound so 'cocky' and 'we know better then you' tone as they did right after launch so I'm guessing (hoping) they were humbled. 

As for the game? Eh I'm not the best judge, I feel like its highly over-rated but considering how over he top the fan bois are the 'highly' part would probably not exist if it was another game without such over the top fanbois behind it. Its doing okay I suppose, nothing amazing. In some ways it might hurt since rather then promoting great F2P options a lot of Eastern games have been pushing (Aion or Tera as recent ones) its going to promote more box sales with the same type of cash shop those games have or worst, specially considering Secret world's shift did so good as well.

Yeah i know, somewhat off topic but truthfully I just feel the game itself didn't do much of 'changing' anything outside of making more focus on the concept of "B2P with cash shop" which can be a good AND bad thing for the consumer. Good that we don't have to maybe pay for a subscription, but bad that a cash shop will typically rake in a lot more cash from our pockets.

It's possible ... even probable... that there will be games surpassing this in the future. I wonder which... maybe TESO if the Elder Scrolls crowd goes for it... Defiance, in my opinion, has the possibility simply due to the fact that I'm seeing ads all over ScyFy for it already (the show the game ties into starts in... March I think?  Right now, these two I think may have a shot... not really following what else is in development.

Oderint, dum metuant.

O

I was there in 2004 at WoW's launch, and I still have two active accounts in addition to my GW2 one. I'm not a WoW hater, and I agree WoW changed the market drastically (for the best? for the worse? that's not he topic here). But that doesn't change the fact that GW2 grew much faster than WoW. We could also argue that the guy who long time ago invented the wheel is impacting today's car sales, that would be similarly true and also similarly out of topic ;)

A better example would be how Doom shaped the success for the modern day FPS.

That is a Dev Chat Transcript not a news article saying Guild Wars is the Fastest Growing MMO. I have tried every possible combinations of wording to find what is the fastest growing mmo of last year and every time i get either SWTOR or Diablo 3.  Not once have I found a single article to back up your claims that it is GW2. When you find that News Article THEN I will admit defeat. I will be waiting on baited breath for this undeniable proof.

You posted out-of-date articles, nothing showing greater than three million sales in the comparable time period. Show me the data, not an out-of-date article.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Blah blah blah... what about the 40k kills in WvW?

You make up things as they come to fit your agenda, you will dismiss any proof anyway, mind you, you could have to admit you've been wrong on an Internet video game forum, that would be awful for your reputation.

Anyway, your nonsense was entertaining for a while... time to go watch a movie. Volkon and me are also still waiting "on baited braith" for that 40k kill thingy... well, actually, I'm not, because now I know you're just arguing for the sake of arguing and that there's no real base of facts in your nonsense. Have a nice evening.

Time to head home here as well. Fire up some dinner, help the kids with the homework, settle down and get some play time in.

Oderint, dum metuant.

It's possible ... even probable... that there will be games surpassing this in the future. I wonder which... maybe TESO if the Elder Scrolls crowd goes for it... Defiance, in my opinion, has the possibility simply due to the fact that I'm seeing ads all over ScyFy for it already (the show the game ties into starts in... March I think?  Right now, these two I think may have a shot... not really following what else is in development.

I don't know if it will be TESO simply because of how much resentment has formed around it's direction, which many view as a departure away from the TES franchise. We'll see though, I too haven't been keeping up with many of the in development MMO's, I know it won't be the repop that does it heh.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

I don't know if it will be TESO simply because of how much resentment has formed around it's direction, which many view as a departure away from the TES franchise. We'll see though, I too haven't been keeping up with many of the in development MMO's, I know it won't be the repop that does it heh.

'Resentment' is a forum thing, if a game is good people will buy it play it, Youtube to the rescue ultimately.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by iamthekiller
    Originally posted by Celcius
    Originally posted by iamthekiller
    Originally posted by Celcius
    No one claims that games will "kill WoW"; these are just things people like to say when backing up an ill formed argument about a game not meeting their expectations. I personally think WoW is complete garbage and so is MoP, but hey thats my opinion. Fact is that the game is earning ArenaNet and NC Soft hand over fist and they have sold over 3million copies already, making it the fastest selling MMO to date. Take that for what you will, but I don't really see how anyone with any sense can deny the success of GW2. 

I didn't really mention how well it did do or didn't. I know MOP sold more then 3 million copies in a week though. I think that is probably faster then GW2. Im not knocking people who like the game at all...im not saying it's unsuccessful...it's succesfull for a mediocre game for sure..a real record setter!

An expansion is different then a game release. Saying your MMO sold 3 million copies in a week which was the first time the game did not break a previous record for sales and with an installed user base of 10 million doesn't mean anything. It was not the fastest selling MMO of all time, GW2 was and still is. Nice try though, considering you started your post off by claiming you did not mention how well it did yet still replied to me by claiming GW2's numbers were not as significant as I claim. 

You can't state your opinion as fact and claim I cannot defend your argument with facts. You like WoW and you don't like GW2..who cares. The fact is that GW2 has sold faster then any other MMO does not change. You can claim it is mediocre all you want though. That is your opinion. Unfortunately for you they already got your money so you basically voted for the game being a winner. Thanks for your contribution towards my current and future content patches for the game I enjoy. 

I never once stated my opinion as fact. I actually went out of my way to specifically say it was my opinion and it wasn't popular. Your attitude is quite amusing though, you come in here attacking me because you want to make sure everyone knows GW2 wasn't a failure...but I never said it was..you seem like you know deep down it's mediore but don't want to admit it to yourself.

As far as MOP being different because it's an expansion...that's pretty much something you made up to rationalize your viewpoint that GW2 is the fastest selling MMO of all time when it's not. MOP is...you don't get to discount it for subjective reasons. Or can you point me in the direction of the rulebook that defines these things? Did obama sign a executive action declaring expansions for mmo's don't count as mmo release's?

All that aside, if you don't care about the topic of my thread why post? Why not just go on with your life? GW2 isn't gonna magically become a good game because your white knighting it.

I don't get it why people come to this forums and then look for a subforum of a game they DO NOT LIKE so they can post their opinions about something they don't like...

If there's somehting I don't like, I usually don't waste any more time on it and I move on with my life...

also, by trying to defend your precious WOW with those crap how it's the fastest selling (when it even didn't break a record of previous expansions) and trying to compare a newly released game with an expansion for a game that's practially a relic now is just pathetic... what, you see less and less people in WOW and it starts to itch?

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Originally posted by Bladestrom

'Resentment' is a forum thing, if a game is good people will buy it play it, Youtube to the rescue ultimately.

True

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

At this point should be clear to know that no game will kill WoW, and if you ask me im happy to see that Gw2 its no exception because the so claimed "throne" WoW stands for its something that i will like to remain that way, between many other things because i dont want too see Gw2 ( or any mmo at all ) being converted to the most hated and disputed mmo of all time, its not really worth it if you ask me.

Also Gw2 has lived to its hype for a lot of people and its still kicking ass for much gamers today. Because not all games need all those Millions of people to succeed or even be remembered,

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    gw2 is by far the best game out there atm, and it just started ;)
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    to me GW2 is the best themepark MMO on the market right now.. it has an amazing world that feels more alive than any other MMO world i can think of. It has many shortcomings and many things i hope are changed/fixed but as a whole it is a great game.. I tried going back to pretty much every other themepark out there since they went f2p, b2p, or offered trials and none to me can even come close to compare to the overall feel GW2 gives me. Hoping other games in the future take the "living world" concept and step it up even further but things like static lifeless zones stick out to me the most and really turn me off to these games, which is a huge reason GW2 takes the top spot for me..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Where are all the folks that played WOW now?....what’s the excuse for a game that had 12 million subscribers now showing numbers in the 2.5 million range?

• kihakujinkihakujin Member UncommonPosts: 2

Firstly lemme thank you guys for making me lol in class :)

Why is everything always a comparison to WoW? Every mmorpg discussion ultimately bring that game in as the benchmark that a completely different game isnt meeting upto or a similar game is being pitted against, with alot of my observed instances involving the words: "WoW clone!"

A WoW killer - would be a game that drains WoW dry wont it? Makes it so servers merge due to lack of players? Always have diehards so the most forseeable WoW killer is the dev team of WoW.

The facts are - in 5 months GW2 did better than ALL other mmorpgs. They came from a player base of 0 to 3mil. Whereas no-one else did that. Previous posts have clearly made that clear. With that stated, the expansion argument is not a fair assessment, as an expansion means there are a playerbase. I can bring ym friends into a game i play because i like it and if an expansion comes out... it shows the devs are furthering the community and my friends should come in cause this game wont be dying anytime soon - or thats what I say when expansions are out.

iamthekiller you said that you are stating opinion, then let the arguments rest. Your objectivity is compromised because of your bias against GW2. Likewise, fond memories and boredom could have made your return to WoW more enjoyable than it should have (stating possibilities). Point is though that GW2 isnt your kettle of fish, and after your initial post going along with the argument until you lost your point was unnecessary

Going back to the original post - I doubt anything other than boredom, or curiosity about ane xpansion can bring you back to Tyria.

Open world PvP...must have...must kill..must see blood

• Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe Member CommonPosts: 221

PvE wise, yeah its actually a pretty nice game and they delivered. Graphics and combat were improved upon and they did their own takes here and there.

PvP wise..I believe that it failed to hit the mark and continued to crash into everything. Balance is subjective, promises haven't been kept so far and it can be a bit hectic in the sPvP forums.