Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Faction locks, alts and PvP

As it currently stands factions are race locked with each faction having 3 races and no crossover.

Developers have stated that they encourage people to make alts.

Creating alts will be the only way to see the entire continent.

If alts are expected and there is only 1 server then there is every possibility that you can have all your characters in the same campaign.

If you have alts in the same campaign you can pick and choose which alt to play depending on how the fight is going.

So...

Comments

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I voted I will only have one character and I don't like not seeing the rest of the world (if I even buy it).

I also like glue, it was a tough decision.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

I like making alts, so it wont bother me at all.

Tough choice tho. I also like glue.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

It depends how the PvP system  and progression is built.

If it is like in GW2 where only your server winning matters and there is no personal progression then yes I might transfer to another more competitive server.

If it is like DAoC/WAR where personal progression is more important than your realm winning then I will stay and fight (as long as my realm mates are competent PvPers)

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    no
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • XlugonPyroXlugonPyro Member Posts: 2

I like glue.

If I have an alt on other factions that I enjoy, I would seriously consider jumping ship.  As much as I love coming from behind to win and fierce struggles, I won't put up with those who wont even try to fight back and work together to win despite the odds.  At the end of the day, if my team just can't win, I'll jump ship and play on the side that wins if they have something I enjoy playing.  Even easy wins are preferable to miserable losses.  Maybe I'm part of the problem, but I do give people a chance before I take off and play elsewhere so that I can enjoy myself more.

However, I could very well end up not having many alts, especially on other factions if I find out there are races I don't like.  My character's feel and appearance limit me far more than how the people around me play, even in competitive areas.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Where is the idea coming from that if you have a character in one faction in campaign #12, your alt on an opposite faction can also be in #12? It'd be pretty simple to make your alt elligible to join any campaign EXCEPT #12.

In DAoC faction lock per server didn't guarantee zero spying but it made it tougher. You either had to have a second account (somet had 3) to do it yourself or get the info from a friend playing the other faction in your server.

There's always a way for someone determined to cheat the system but I seriously doubt they'll make it as easy for you as just rolling an alt.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• It's unlikely you'll be able to join the same campaign with an alt on a different faction. If they allow it they are dumb since it will be exploited.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Spyings not the issue

Cross faction guilds, or mass alting by guilds to exploit pvp systems and pve farm them is.

E.g. what happened in swtor and tsw.
  • jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94
    Poll is biased toward OP's hatred of no faction locks.
  • TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    i like peeling glue from my fingers

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    i ll have only one toon(if play this game coz not sure yet),& dislike limitations in freedom
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    I played DAoC for years and was fine not seeing the entire world. When I rolled on another server it was to jump on a server where the war was balanced and I picked the same faction lol. I will pick a faction with TESO and I will be fine and happy with what I am given. My guess is the areas will mirror to some level. Same style dungeon at the same level. Same instance dungeons. I dont think we will be missing out on much more then seeing the art. My guess is the quests may even be the same in all 3 areas. 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    If I make Alt's it will be to simply see all the PVE content in alliance territories. I'll only have one toon geared for RVR.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

The negativity on this subject is driving me nuts.

3 locked out factions makes the Game far more Interesting. The other 2 realms are a mystery, you feel way more pride when fighting them, and when you feel your ready to move on; switching to another faction feels like a completely new game.

This was a HUGE factor for why DAOC lasted YEARS for people. 3 locked factions are huge contributor for longevity.

This is a good thing.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• urzanurzan Member Posts: 5

I think they stated that you wont be able to play in the same campaign with other characters of different factions.

On the other hand, im also sure faction locks will increase the longevity of the game.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Not sure which option to pick (may just pick glue)

Are there situations where I might log an alt when losing? If I'm not having fun sure, but winning isnt the main thing that makes pvp fun for me.

Theres as much chance of me logging an alt because I'm playing in a campaign where my faction is rolling face and I'm bored as there is if i'm being rolled and am bored

• smackizarsmackizar Member Posts: 2

I won't know til I see it implemented.

However I DO think basing the factions on race is a severely stupid move on their part.

If I'm an Argonian in the elder scrolls universe, I definetely don't (and shouldn't) expect every other argonian on the planet to be my pal. I would have much rather seen actual factions that you choose during character creation, theres so many sweet factions that would all have their reasons to fight over the empty throne.

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by WellzyC

The negativity on this subject is driving me nuts.

3 locked out factions makes the Game far more Interesting. The other 2 realms are a mystery, you feel way more pride when fighting them, and when you feel your ready to move on; switching to another faction feels like a completely new game.

This was a HUGE factor for why DAOC lasted YEARS for people. 3 locked factions are huge contributor for longevity.

This is a good thing.

I have to agree with this guy. Back in DAoC, it definitely had a more interesting and mysterious element to it when exploring regions of another realm than your own. It really did feel like 3 completely different games/experiences. It also made me feel more of a sense of community, and loyalty to my realm. If I saw a fellow albion player in trouble, I felt the urge to help them out rather than run past and ignore them. Along with that comes a feeling of glee any time I could kill one of those tree hugging hibs or dark and dreary mids. :p

As a comparison, in something like WoW everything just feels the same. If I get bored and want to try out the other faction, it's really no different. When I pvp, there's not really any sense of diversity outside of races. If some guy is getting out numbered by mobs, who cares? Let him die.. he's stealing my quest mobs anyway. I think locked factions are a great thing for this game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I'm holding out for alternate rules servers, with FFA PVP and no lockouts. Yeah, I know, will never happen but a guy can only dream.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    No. I will be playing as an Altmer Healer/Mage for AD and will only PvP for that faction, so the only alts that I will be pvping on are the ones that I make in AD. The only reason to log on an alt in a different faction for me will be to see the other faction lands and experience the story lines. If we lose, we lose. Its a game and someone has to lose.
  • CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    I'm holding out for alternate rules servers, with FFA PVP and no lockouts. Yeah, I know, will never happen but a guy can only dream.

Actually DAoC had mordred and their terrible gank fest... its possible. But it was really bad.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

I really detest this setup.  Nothing irks me more than a community and game divided by lame two faction conflict...with races ect locked.

I cant stand making alts tbh...more than one alt and im close to premanant burnout on a game typically.

Not sure why they went with the boring old faction locked conflicts.  I like knowing the people i fight against, i like "sandbox" style factions and the community as a whole.

I dunno, just seems so boring when theres plenty of people i know from chat that i so want to kill but cant since they are on my faction...and killing random guy #22334 from the other factions has no meaning to me...he might as well be a mob.

Its really looking like this games going to be yet another reskinned wow-park...how boring.  Another overhyped one month blowout then downward spiral then f2p.  Can development studios learn something please.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

I really detest this setup.  Nothing irks me more than a community and game divided by lame two faction conflict...with races ect locked.

I cant stand making alts tbh...more than one alt and im close to premanant burnout on a game typically.

Not sure why they went with the boring old faction locked conflicts.  I like knowing the people i fight against, i like "sandbox" style factions and the community as a whole.

I dunno, just seems so boring when theres plenty of people i know from chat that i so want to kill but cant since they are on my faction...and killing random guy #22334 from the other factions has no meaning to me...he might as well be a mob.

Its really looking like this games going to be yet another reskinned wow-park...how boring.  Another overhyped one month blowout then downward spiral then f2p.  Can development studios learn something please.

Lets see...

We have the "cool sandbox" comment... this is a must have these days, then we have:

"I detest..." "I cant stand..." "I like..." "not sure..." "I dunno..." "I know" "I want" "looks like..." and ending with a futurism.

Ok since when is this game about "you" "you" "you"? And you dont know... just looks like.

Oh... look!... see? There goes the logic train. Try to catch up - while you're there, get a game you like, this isnt for you - dont let the door hit you on yer way out.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

You are contradicting yourself, wow isnt faction locked, so it cant be a reskinned wow-park because of it. And it isnt a 2 faction game its 3 factions.

This game is more like 3 seperate pve mmo's linked by a massive 3 faction pvp map, not really all that like wow at all form whats been said/shown