Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gw2: Hyped at first? What about now?

Comments

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    Originally posted by iamthekiller
    Originally posted by Celcius
    No one claims that games will "kill WoW"; these are just things people like to say when backing up an ill formed argument about a game not meeting their expectations. I personally think WoW is complete garbage and so is MoP, but hey thats my opinion. Fact is that the game is earning ArenaNet and NC Soft hand over fist and they have sold over 3million copies already, making it the fastest selling MMO to date. Take that for what you will, but I don't really see how anyone with any sense can deny the success of GW2. 

I didn't really mention how well it did do or didn't. I know MOP sold more then 3 million copies in a week though. I think that is probably faster then GW2. Im not knocking people who like the game at all...im not saying it's unsuccessful...it's succesfull for a mediocre game for sure..a real record setter!

An expansion is different then a game release. Saying your MMO sold 3 million copies in a week which was the first time the game did not break a previous record for sales and with an installed user base of 10 million doesn't mean anything. It was not the fastest selling MMO of all time, GW2 was and still is. Nice try though, considering you started your post off by claiming you did not mention how well it did yet still replied to me by claiming GW2's numbers were not as significant as I claim. 

You can't state your opinion as fact and claim I cannot defend your argument with facts. You like WoW and you don't like GW2..who cares. The fact is that GW2 has sold faster then any other MMO does not change. You can claim it is mediocre all you want though. That is your opinion. Unfortunately for you they already got your money so you basically voted for the game being a winner. Thanks for your contribution towards my current and future content patches for the game I enjoy. 

I never once stated my opinion as fact. I actually went out of my way to specifically say it was my opinion and it wasn't popular. Your attitude is quite amusing though, you come in here attacking me because you want to make sure everyone knows GW2 wasn't a failure...but I never said it was..you seem like you know deep down it's mediore but don't want to admit it to yourself.

As far as MOP being different because it's an expansion...that's pretty much something you made up to rationalize your viewpoint that GW2 is the fastest selling MMO of all time when it's not. MOP is...you don't get to discount it for subjective reasons. Or can you point me in the direction of the rulebook that defines these things? Did obama sign a executive action declaring expansions for mmo's don't count as mmo release's?

All that aside, if you don't care about the topic of my thread why post? Why not just go on with your life? GW2 isn't gonna magically become a good game because your white knighting it.

Actually, you attacked the game with really poor arguments that do not constitute logic or well formed thought; which is what I meant by you claiming your opinions as fact. Saying "its successful for a mediocre game" is one of those poor arguments where you do as such. So yeah, I will defend the game from baseless arguments as simple as it being called "a mediocre success".

GW2 sold faster then any other MMO to date and you cannot dispute that. MoP is a fast selling expansion, but it is not a launch MMO. WoW did not have this high of a sell through rate at this point in the game's life span, thus making GW2 outsell it. It is pretty undisputable logic. GW2 at 5 months = 3 million sold WoW at 5 months = not 3 million sold. GW2 clearly sold copies faster. End of that story. 

The end of your thread is you once again stating your opinion as fact. Claiming the game is not going to become good. I also post to make people like yourself look like blundering bafoons.

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65

I think it's a good game in the sense that they provided a lot of quality of life features and it felt like a new game, unlike SWTOR which felt dated at launch. But I really don't understand how people can play for 4-5 hours a day.

Leveling was OK but I felt that I got all my abilities way too soon, I didn't have enough abilities to choose from and only a couple of builds were viable. It's a good game for alts because of the different starting zones. The story is TERRIBLE, my characters were thief and necromancer yet I'm acting like a pussy trying to protect the innocent.... It was almost insultingly bad, like it was written for young children.

At endgame you get your + 'magic find' gear, farm events and run dungeons, with pugs. I saved up for the human t3 cultural in a couple of weeks, got the stats and weapons from explorable dungeons. What else is there to do?

I realize there is WvW but I found it boring, I'm sure it would be more fun as a guild but still not my cup of tea. 

Originally posted by Total_Hunt

I think it's a good game in the sense that they provided a lot of quality of life features and it felt like a new game, unlike SWTOR which felt dated at launch. But I really don't understand how people can play for 4-5 hours a day.

Leveling was OK but I felt that I got all my abilities way too soon, I didn't have enough abilities to choose from and only a couple of builds were viable. It's a good game for alts because of the different starting zones. The story is TERRIBLE, my characters were thief and necromancer yet I'm acting like a pussy trying to protect the innocent.... It was almost insultingly bad, like it was written for young children.

At endgame you get your + 'magic find' gear, farm events and run dungeons, with pugs. I saved up for the human t3 cultural in a couple of weeks, got the stats and weapons from explorable dungeons. What else is there to do?

I realize there is WvW but I found it boring, I'm sure it would be more fun as a guild but still not my cup of tea. 

This is a prime example of what is defined as an opinion not being stated as a fact. Kudos for a post that shows knowledge of the game that demonstrates why you do not like it other then simply saying 2 lines of ignorant dribble. 

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128

I'm in the same boat, I started with high hopes for GW2 but always knew I would be back playing WoW when the expansion came out. WoW can definitely get old but I just through some F2P games in there and go back to WoW  when I need a fix.

Works out pretty good if you ask me. As far as going back to GW2 I'm fairly sure that will never happen. If they can't pull me back before a expansion I won't ever get back into that game.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Tayah

That being said, what could bring me back to the world of Tyria? Honestly nothing short of a blumpkin from the devs...

Nothing can bring me back. I treated GW2 like the game it was. It was like a console game. I beat it then moved on. It's just not a good mmorpg. Perhaps too themepark for me, too.

How do you "beat" Guild Wars 2? Completing the personal story? Many people play and scarcely touch that. Win in WvW? Happens every week. Get your ascended gear from Fractals or the new Daily/Monthly rewards?

This is puzzling. How do you "beat" an MMO, especially one that's constantly changing?

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by BadSpock

I've recently gone back and the game is in a much better place - it's simply more fun than it was before.

I've just started exploring Orr which is fun - and apparently I'm a genius because Orr was really awful before?

sPvP is a lot of fun.

WvW still needs some major work IMO, but hopefully the big March update helps.

I really like the Living Story and can't wait to play the next chapters.

The game REALLY needs an in-game top-notch cross-realm LFG tool for dungeons/fractals.

Right now everyone seems to be using a 3rd party website, which is a huge turn off for me. The need is obviously there to do the same in game Anet.

I really hope they add in a WoW-like LFD tool when the next phase of dungeon fixes/tweaks comes out.

Beyond that, I'm still hopeful for more weapons and maybe weapon skills per weapon in the first expansion to make it a but more mix and match like GW1 was.

As it stands now, I don't really like the way the secondaries / elite skills work and I don't like the hard-set weapon skills.

Now that they've got guesting enabled, I also think they should do what WoW did and make the leveling zones cross realm to host a much healthier population across all zones.

Spock... you can always ask in guild for people willing to do Fractals/ Dungeons... image

Oderint, dum metuant.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    No one claims that games will "kill WoW"; these are just things people like to say when backing up an ill formed argument about a game not meeting their expectations. I personally think WoW is complete garbage and so is MoP, but hey thats my opinion. Fact is that the game is earning ArenaNet and NC Soft hand over fist and they have sold over 3million copies already, making it the fastest selling MMO to date. Take that for what you will, but I don't really see how anyone with any sense can deny the success of GW2. 

I didn't really mention how well it did do or didn't. I know MOP sold more then 3 million copies in a week though. I think that is probably faster then GW2. Im not knocking people who like the game at all...im not saying it's unsuccessful...it's succesfull for a mediocre game for sure..a real record setter!

Yeah and when a game that CLAIMS to have a 10 million subscriber base, and they only sell 3 million copies, that is a magnificent kick to the junk. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

GW2's combat is better then most other combats. 

I have a long history of MMO's, from 7 years of EQ, to 3 years of DAoC, and 5 years of WoW ... with numerous other MMO's tossed in. 

GW2 does a lot of things right, and very little wrong.

Few improvement they could make would be things like Group Finder, WvW improvements( on slate), instanced housing, Fishing, .... basically mostly fluff items to improve quality of life.

As long as they keep evolving the story and making bugs fixes the game will flourish.

Originally posted by Volkon

I've recently gone back and the game is in a much better place - it's simply more fun than it was before.

I've just started exploring Orr which is fun - and apparently I'm a genius because Orr was really awful before?

sPvP is a lot of fun.

The game REALLY needs an in-game top-notch cross-realm LFG tool for dungeons/fractals.

Right now everyone seems to be using a 3rd party website, which is a huge turn off for me. The need is obviously there to do the same in game Anet.

I really hope they add in a WoW-like LFD tool when the next phase of dungeon fixes/tweaks comes out.

Beyond that, I'm still hopeful for more weapons and maybe weapon skills per weapon in the first expansion to make it a but more mix and match like GW1 was.

As it stands now, I don't really like the way the secondaries / elite skills work and I don't like the hard-set weapon skills.

Now that they've got guesting enabled, I also think they should do what WoW did and make the leveling zones cross realm to host a much healthier population across all zones.

Spock... you can always ask in guild for people willing to do Fractals/ Dungeons... image

I cannot express this enough guys. This is by far the most useful tool you can use for finding a group. Honestly, having used it alot to find groups I can say that a group finding system would be a waste of development time at this point. They should just hire the guy who made this site. Gw2lfg.com  You can make groups like instantly and I am not even kidding. You post what you are looking for and can specify dungeon,ect. 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Well you know my thoughts.  It met the hype for me; I was excited about a game for the first time in a decade and it didn't disappoint.  Sure there were a few things I'd like to be changed like the lack of account-bound dyes, but otherwise, I love the combat, the collecting, the gameplay and the community (in-game anyway, the official forums are clogged with smug A-holes from what I've read.. I don't post there).  Even the story and voice overs grow on you after a while (except the Norn female, who still sounds like she has way too much testosterone for her own good).

So yeah... and I'd be playing right now if yet another gaming computer hadn't bit the dust recently.  I am not having very much luck with pc's lately.  Managed to get two characters to 80 though lol

sPvP is a lot of fun.

I cannot express this enough guys. This is by far the most useful tool you can use for finding a group. Honestly, having used it alot to find groups I can say that a group finding system would be a waste of development time at this point. They should just hire the guy who made this site. Gw2lfg.com  You can make groups like instantly and I am not even kidding. You post what you are looking for and can specify dungeon,ect. 

I agree... I've used that site a couple times for Fractals runs and it's surprising how quickly you get invites in game. I normally ask within guild or chat, but that site works wonders when you need it.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

sPvP is a lot of fun.

I agree... I've used that site a couple times for Fractals runs and it's surprising how quickly you get invites in game. I normally ask within guild or chat, but that site works wonders when you need it.

I'd love to set up a dungeon play date sometime!

I'm level 80 and I've done the Ghosts of Ascalon story mode once and maybe like two of the explorables? That's it.

I really do need to be proactive and find guildies interesting in tagging along.

Kind of want to finish the personal story first though... but I barely have enough time in the day to do the daily achieves for PvE and PvP and also have time to do a dungeon or personal story chapter.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by neobahamut20
    Originally posted by Zzad

After playing for more than 5 months,i can still say GW2 is by far the best MMO i´ve ever played!

And it just born....wait a couple of expansions ^^

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

When you make a post like that you are obliged to post your MMO resume so you can show that its not the first MMO you play for more than 3 months.

Ok.... I see your point...but i didn´t find it necessary...

Obviously GW2 is not my first MMO when i say that.... Been playing games since they were in cassettes for Spectrum...and I play mostly MMOs or RPG (my fav genres).

I played WoW for over 4 years...

Guild Wars...Aion...RIFT...Everquest 2...Star Trek Online...SWTOR...Tera...Age of Conan...Allods...Dc Universe Online...

and probably a couple more that din´t hook me enough for even mentioning ...

Currently playing also The Secret World along with GW2 ;)

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

GW2 has little to no staying power, in my opinion. The PvP isn't exciting in the least at the moment, the PvE is decent, but I mainly just feel like I'm grinding, run here for one event, run a bit farther for another event that's over in a matter of minutes, so on and so on. I'm sure this can be said of games like WoW as well, for many people, but even WoW breaks up the monotony on occasion. Up to level 30ish, I never did one event that I felt was very exciting or noteworthy.

The personal story is godawful. Just so bland. I don't really like any of the characters I can play as, and I sincerely wish they went with a silent protagonist route and let the NPC's do the work.

I do enjoy the crafting, however. Mainly because it's just a side thing that I can bang out quickly every 5 levels for new gear.

I just don't feel any motivation at all to want to level.

I actually played GW2 for a month or so after launch, and it was not long into it at WoW MoP came out, and all I could think about was playing WoW while I was playing GW2. lol

I did eventually go back to WoW, and I played it like crazy for 2 months and had a blast before I burnt out (which means started raiding and found it boring lol). What can I say? WoW still dangles the carrot better.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I avoided initial hype.  I found the game very enjoyable for a couple months but then became a bit bored (happens with every game, really). 

I found the game had a lot of eye candy and initial thrills.  But those sort of things only last a little while.  The meat of the game (strictly PVE) was pretty thin for me.  In the end, I think the game was a bit too casual for me.  It felt more like a console playing experience than a computer RPG.

• iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93

An expansion is different then a game release. Saying your MMO sold 3 million copies in a week which was the first time the game did not break a previous record for sales and with an installed user base of 10 million doesn't mean anything. It was not the fastest selling MMO of all time, GW2 was and still is. Nice try though, considering you started your post off by claiming you did not mention how well it did yet still replied to me by claiming GW2's numbers were not as significant as I claim. 

You can't state your opinion as fact and claim I cannot defend your argument with facts. You like WoW and you don't like GW2..who cares. The fact is that GW2 has sold faster then any other MMO does not change. You can claim it is mediocre all you want though. That is your opinion. Unfortunately for you they already got your money so you basically voted for the game being a winner. Thanks for your contribution towards my current and future content patches for the game I enjoy. 

I never once stated my opinion as fact. I actually went out of my way to specifically say it was my opinion and it wasn't popular. Your attitude is quite amusing though, you come in here attacking me because you want to make sure everyone knows GW2 wasn't a failure...but I never said it was..you seem like you know deep down it's mediore but don't want to admit it to yourself.

As far as MOP being different because it's an expansion...that's pretty much something you made up to rationalize your viewpoint that GW2 is the fastest selling MMO of all time when it's not. MOP is...you don't get to discount it for subjective reasons. Or can you point me in the direction of the rulebook that defines these things? Did obama sign a executive action declaring expansions for mmo's don't count as mmo release's?

All that aside, if you don't care about the topic of my thread why post? Why not just go on with your life? GW2 isn't gonna magically become a good game because your white knighting it.

Actually, you attacked the game with really poor arguments that do not constitute logic or well formed thought; which is what I meant by you claiming your opinions as fact. Saying "its successful for a mediocre game" is one of those poor arguments where you do as such. So yeah, I will defend the game from baseless arguments as simple as it being called "a mediocre success".

GW2 sold faster then any other MMO to date and you cannot dispute that. MoP is a fast selling expansion, but it is not a launch MMO. WoW did not have this high of a sell through rate at this point in the game's life span, thus making GW2 outsell it. It is pretty undisputable logic. GW2 at 5 months = 3 million sold WoW at 5 months = not 3 million sold. GW2 clearly sold copies faster. End of that story. 

The end of your thread is you once again stating your opinion as fact. Claiming the game is not going to become good. I also post to make people like yourself look like blundering bafoons.

You are doing an amazing job of making yourself look like a crazy GW2 fanboy. I stated multiple times it was my opinion and you keep insisting on this...Let me break it down real simple for you...ill even use the example you gave. You had me saying "It's successfull, for a mediocre game." The game was successful right? Ok fact checked past..me thinking the game is mediocre is my opinion. You also quoted me as saying the game was "A mediocre success" I never said anything like that at all...if you keep posting in this thread I will report you for harrassment/trolling. IF you want to have an actual discussion don't acuse people of being intellectually dishonest and don't put words in my mouth. Im not arguing anything at all and haven't been...I said my piece and if you don't like it go cry a river.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

As an explorer, I must say it's the best time in an MMORPG I've ever had.

As a writer, it's servicable much less immersive than I was expecting.

That being said I only have my various characters in their 30's so there's still a lot to go.  Either way, whenever I get to play the game I'm having a good time overall so, to me it's a success.

I'm enjoing multiple classes, love the way the combat feels more than any other MMORPG to date... and again, as an explorer, I really really enjoy the game.  No matter where I go, there's a visual feast to take in.  Wonderful world design.

It's also nice to be put into overflow servers even months after launch (not everywhere, but some cities for sure.)

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

It met what I was expecting, but I knew that from the beta.

It has a bit too much of RNG based systems for my taste, DEs still break too often, Ascended items was a bad idea to please people this game will never cater for, crafting could be improved by mixing different tiers of crafting materials, still needs Guild Hall, better guild identifiers, DEs don't scale very well when you have 10+ people.

Other than that it is really good, especially the combat (although I wouldn't mind they add click to move as well), although it can be esoteric for those used to a more traditional game.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

Only 3 Mill sales makes the fastest growing MMO to date? WoW Vanilla Launch beat that in its launch. When WoW Vanilla Launched if you could find a GameStop that had a Copy of it you were lucky. On the day of GW2 Launch I was going from GameStop to GameStop looking for a copy of ME3(I think I went to 6 and ended up going to BestBuy to get it) and every GameStop I went to had 3 Shelves of Game Boxes for GW2. And lets not forget the fact that WoW has close to 11 Million Active Subscribers how many does GW2 have? One last thing the only person stating anything as fact is you I have read the OP's Posts and see only opinion not once has he tried to warp his opinion as fact.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

sPvP is a lot of fun.

I'm level 80 and I've done the Ghosts of Ascalon story mode once and maybe like two of the explorables? That's it.

I really do need to be proactive and find guildies interesting in tagging along.

Kind of want to finish the personal story first though... but I barely have enough time in the day to do the daily achieves for PvE and PvP and also have time to do a dungeon or personal story chapter.

Variety is good. If you can find a good group to do dungeons with the story lines support, indirectly, your personal story.  I guess you would know that from the Ascalon ones you have done. There are, however, too many speed groups out there that don't want you to watch the cut scenes.  So finding I group like that can be a little more difficult. When I do a dungeon (fractals too) it fills quite a few of the daily PvE achivements so I wouldn't consider it an either or but it will not do all of them. 

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Originally posted by Tayah

That being said, what could bring me back to the world of Tyria? Honestly nothing short of a blumpkin from the devs...

Nothing can bring me back. I treated GW2 like the game it was. It was like a console game. I beat it then moved on. It's just not a good mmorpg. Perhaps too themepark for me, too.

Do we really need another 'I got bored of game A, Game B is great'  thread? 

Where did I say game b is great? I don't have a game b. I've been in between games for years now. There's nothing out there that sticks. It's all themepark cloned garbage for people like myself that want a good sanbox game.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Pirates 101 > GW2
    ...that sir is fact per MMORPG.com
    Game of the Year!

WoW is not even in the same league! Why even mention it?
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!

sPvP is a lot of fun.

When you're ready for the Arah leg of the personal story let me know, I'll be glad to help out. It's the only one that requires 5 people because it coincides with the story mode for Arah dungeon (same thing). 

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by akiira69

Only 3 Mill sales makes the fastest growing MMO to date? WoW Vanilla Launch beat that in its launch. When WoW Vanilla Launched if you could find a GameStop that had a Copy of it you were lucky. On the day of GW2 Launch I was going from GameStop to GameStop looking for a copy of ME3(I think I went to 6 and ended up going to BestBuy to get it) and every GameStop I went to had 3 Shelves of Game Boxes for GW2. And lets not forget the fact that WoW has close to 11 Million Active Subscribers how many does GW2 have? One last thing the only person stating anything as fact is you I have read the OP's Posts and see only opinion not once has he tried to warp his opinion as fact.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/world-of-warcraft-15-million-and-counting-6120659

That was nearly almost the same time frame from launch until that announcement as GW2's launch to the announcement of 3mil. Obviously the numbers today are different then what they were before since many more people are playing MMOs, but the fact still stands: GW2 is currently the fastest selling MMO to date.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by akiira69

http://www.gamespot.com/news/world-of-warcraft-15-million-and-counting-6120659

That was nearly almost the same time frame from launch until that announcement as GW2's launch to the announcement of 3mil. Obviously the numbers today are different then what they were before since many more people are playing MMOs, but the fact still stands: GW2 is currently the fastest selling MMO to date.

THis was posted Sept 9th, of last year a full 10 days after the launch of Guild Wars 2

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a404374/feature-top-five-most-influential-modern-mmorpgs.html

The MMO's they listed are Guild Wars 1, EVE Online, Final Fantasy XI, Star Wars the Old Republic, and WOW

Another SOurce:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115658-The-Old-Republic-Becomes-the-Fastest-Growing-MMO-Ever

And another:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/02/01/the-old-republic-is-the-fastest-growing-subscription-mmo-in-history-has-1-7-million-subscribers/

3 Completely different Websites with 3 Completely different authors and all 3 of them proving you wrong. Oh and just for the record I got these links by typing in to google "what is the fastest growing mmo". I got 1,220,000 results back and every link on the first page alone lacked anything to do with Guild Wars 2.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"