Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: The Two Lures

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

There are two lures for MMO gamers everywhere: The lure of being a godlike power in a given world and the lure to be just an Average Joe who happened on greatness. We take a look at why these are important with particular regard to The Secret World. Read on before heading to the comments.

Sure, I never actually get far enough in my play to actually experience most the new content (I have some weird unresolved latency issues that make area transitions a pain in the butt), but whenever there’s some new perk or quality of life addition, I come back, I chat with people, and I just run around killing whatever’s evil enough to be in reach with gleeful abandon.

One of the main reasons why I keep coming back to TSW is the fact that it’s one of the few MMOs that comes closest to being my favorite personal escape. 

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s The Secret World: The Two Lures.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
     Good read. i enjoyed TSW been busy of late with RLZ but need to get back there to check out the new stuff.
  • KoolVirusKoolVirus Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I recently bought TSW while it was only $10 on origin. I heard from people that it was terrible and it sucked but after playing guild wars 2 for a few months I needed to find a other mmo. I've been playing TSW for a few weeks and I love it. I haven't really enjoyed any mmos since city of heroes and I'm really glad I bought TSW.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    TSw is by far not a bad game in any way , the main issue with it is it just lacks a little polish and gets pretty grind heavy towards the end of the game. The stories especially in the savage coast and kingsmouth are really really good and it gives you that resident evil 1 feeling doing the quests and running around . Once you get to egypt though the game kinda gets more grindy and the story just isnt as polished IMO. But overall for a buy to play game and the speed of their updates makes this game worth the money for sure.
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

While i do enjoy the Ordinary to Extrodinary part of the game. the other thing i like is that they flat out tell you, your not alone, Your not the only one, your not even rare. This makes it so that when you start running into other people in TSW, its not a OMG another chosen one, and another... and another... and another. Where as in games like WoW and GW2 they make a big deal about you being this awesome amazing hero who is standing in a MASSIVE CROWD of amazing heros while still treating your like your special.

The only people that  treat you special in TSW are those who are not apart of the "Secret World", Thats probubly out of fear too. I just enjoy a game actually taking a moment to comment on the fact that while your special your not rare. that way when i enter agartha and see a crowd of Anima users, its not immersion breaking.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198

It's a cool game, but it dosen't have very lasting content, I enjoy that the quests are not tun to X pick up item, but some are just too far out there. I don't think most people spend 5 hours on a single quest so they just google it, in the end you just google before even trying hwich is sad.

Originally posted by paul43

It's a cool game, but it dosen't have very lasting content, I enjoy that the quests are not tun to X pick up item, but some are just too far out there. I don't think most people spend 5 hours on a single quest so they just google it, in the end you just google before even trying hwich is sad.

Actually i dont have anyone in my cabal that does that. i can see it happening on Servers like Grim and Cerb however when you walk into the RP servers its almost like a completely different game.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

Originally posted by cura
    Originally posted by Rayshe

While i do enjoy the Ordinary to Extrodinary part of the game. the other thing i like is that they flat out tell you, your not alone, Your not the only one, your not even rare. This makes it so that when you start running into other people in TSW, its not a OMG another chosen one, and another... and another... and another. [...]

rofl, its exactly that. Its not like the whole world got powers. Still its the choosen few.

I take it your not a templar, Its a main part of the templar opening when your meet the person giving you weapons. i can see why Illuminati want you to feel special, Because they want their people to be full of themselves thinking they are amazing. As for the Dragon they keep you in the dark on everything they can, also makes sense why they wont say anything.

If you want i can find a youtube link to prove EXACTLY what im saying. 

Because i can.

Of course you will, its just that the game actually Told you that you would. Well atleast the templar side did.

Because i can.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    Of course you will, its just that the game actually Told you that you would. Well atleast the templar side did.

This is what he says specifically:

"Never mind why this power's been awakened in you. You're not the only one, and you're not The Chosen One. You're part of an army -- our army -- and from now on, you'll do what you're told."

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Think they're forgetting the lure that trumps both of those, the lure of good gameplay.  If the game mechanics are fun and engaging enough, people will enjoy playing as almost anything.  Hero, nobody, whatever, as long as it's entertaining.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    I think TSW is a very good game, for what it is.....Love the stories, just hard to keep up the content, just like any other themepark, especially for them, since their stuff is more detailed imo.
  • Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    TSW is my favorite MMO right now. And although I started playing Tera since it went FTP, I still like TSW best. Can't wait for more missions, and the whip sounds AWESOME!
  • PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Xthos
    I think TSW is a very good game, for what it is.....Love the stories, just hard to keep up the content, just like any other themepark, especially for them, since their stuff is more detailed imo.

Very nicely put.

Ofcourse I have my own set of gripes and list of things that could have been done better, but over all I feel its a amasing game.

One of the things I like about this game is it feels more down to earth and over all feel more realistic then most mmos out there.

The weapons for instance give a the feeling they are actually practical and usefull in RL (most actually are), unlike the oversized trent in most mmos nowadays that look like weapons that would be more harmfull to the wielder then their opponant.

Even the combat animations feel more like those used in actual combat instead of the holywood-dragonballz hybrid combat animations that look very flashy and spectacular but would get you killed in RL..

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Funcom are the masters of immersion, don't know exactly how,but TSW and AoC are worlds which draw you in completely and make you part of the worlds. Everything else is just a game

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• WillyMMORPGWillyMMORPG Member UncommonPosts: 78

Was psyched when I heard about the new 1.6 whip aux weapon. But, I was a bit disappointed that the "free gift" for subscribers this month was the Anubis piece(s) instead of unisex Indiana Jones fedora that would have went really well with that whip.

Overall, I'm really liking the game. I had been kind of set adrift after a long (LONG) time playing World of Warcraft -- I quit that game after 6.5 years about a year after Cataclysm because the design philosophy and developer attitude had abruptly changed and I didn't like the direction WoW was headed.

I tried Star Wars: The Old Republic for 3 months, started that game on day one of early game access, and absolutely hated it. Sigh, what a mess.

I hit the fork in the road around late spring and the two choices were Tera which had already launched or Secret World which was delayed a bit, but seemed like the better choice. Being impatient, I tried Tera instead of going with TSW and while the graphics were great, and the gameplay was innovative, the game just felt "odd" and I could never warm up to it (I don't think Tera being f2p would even make a difference, I could never connect to the game, so I canceled that subscription).

I went back to Star Trek Online a while back and while I always like the game, it was never a real AAA MMO game and when they threw their loyal subcribers under the bus with Season 7 patch in November, I canceled that subcription after 33 months of uninterrupted sub'bing. Sigh, another one bit the dust.

So, I needed a new MMO and since I was trying to avoid the 600 pound gorilla (GW2) the only "new" game left on the list was Secret World. I gave it a try in November before it went b2p and I was very impressed. It's not perfect and still has a lot of warts to overlook, but it's fun and different enough to keep my attention (for now). Now, if they'd only get their internal distractions settled (restructuring, layoffs, other growing pains) maybe I'd feel a bit more comfortable playing the game. In the meantime, I'm having fun playing the game and crossing my fingers, hoping they sort out all their issues and are around for a long time because it is one of the more unique MMOs out there.

• Xardas2Xardas2 Member Posts: 11
    The real winner for me in this is how much you can link passives to active skills for different effects! I'm really picky when it comes to an mmo character skill build, I have left other mmos previously for unimpressive skills. Long range assault rifle shots also doing damage over time that have an explosive aftermath, whats not to like!
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Great game. 'Nuff said!

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212

Hey folks.

Some thoughts: One of the things I like about the story is the implications of getting supernatural powers is what havoc it does to your ordinary life. 

Opening is that it flies in your mouth.... prior to that, you were asleep. BUT PRIOR TO THAT? You were probably wondering what breakfast would be, and what work was going to be like.

The contrast between that and facing the horrors of a world beyond the doldrums of existence... that's the big draw for me. Even if I do happen to be a rank and file soldier against the apocalypse. :)

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    yea i love TSW, but pvp peaple plz make pvp bigger.. autojoin dungs and pvp(all minigames at once) add more maps.. etc and this game will be legend !
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by KoolVirus
    I recently bought TSW while it was only $10 on origin. I heard from people that it was terrible and it sucked but after playing guild wars 2 for a few months I needed to find a other mmo. I've been playing TSW for a few weeks and I love it. I haven't really enjoyed any mmos since city of heroes and I'm really glad I bought TSW.

TSW seems to be really hit and miss for most people....I was part of the "its awful" crowd.....I followed it for 2 years before it launched and was just very disappointed in it......IMO Funcom's best game was made in 2001 (AO) and they've gone downhill ever since.