Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gw2: Hyped at first? What about now?

Well I think it's safe to say it didn't kill WOW like some claimed it would. I personally played for a month or so and got an ele to lvl 80..I did all the dungeons once or twice and started pvping..I did that for a couple weeks before I realized it was really boring and not fun. I haven't played since and that was couple months ago...

I went back to WOW after a really long break..like since wrath release and I was actually pleased with what I found. I think Pandaland alone is better then GW2 in it's entirety....I realize thats probably not a popular opinion but it's mine.

That being said, what could bring me back to the world of Tyria? Honestly nothing short of a blumpkin from the devs...

Comments

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    No one claims that games will "kill WoW"; these are just things people like to say when backing up an ill formed argument about a game not meeting their expectations. I personally think WoW is complete garbage and so is MoP, but hey thats my opinion. Fact is that the game is earning ArenaNet and NC Soft hand over fist and they have sold over 3million copies already, making it the fastest selling MMO to date. Take that for what you will, but I don't really see how anyone with any sense can deny the success of GW2. 
  • neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

Meh, wait to enter Eorzea.

Tyria died when they hired the maple story chick that ruins games and since her, their manifesto went down the toilet.

They made promises they couldnt keep. Unless they admit it, fire their whole team like Square-Enix did and hire people that care, Tyria will not be reborn.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

GW2 is still the best MMO on the market... and will remain that way until possibly ESO. 

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

After playing for more than 5 months,i can still say GW2 is by far the best MMO i´ve ever played!

And it ´s just born....wait a couple of expansions ^^

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

• iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Celcius
    No one claims that games will "kill WoW"; these are just things people like to say when backing up an ill formed argument about a game not meeting their expectations. I personally think WoW is complete garbage and so is MoP, but hey thats my opinion. Fact is that the game is earning ArenaNet and NC Soft hand over fist and they have sold over 3million copies already, making it the fastest selling MMO to date. Take that for what you will, but I don't really see how anyone with any sense can deny the success of GW2. 

I didn't really mention how well it did do or didn't. I know MOP sold more then 3 million copies in a week though. I think that is probably faster then GW2. Im not knocking people who like the game at all...im not saying it's unsuccessful...it's succesfull for a mediocre game for sure..a real record setter!

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by neobahamut20

Tyria died when they hired the maple story chick that ruins games and since her, their manifesto went down the toilet.

They made promises they couldnt keep. Unless they admit it, fire their whole team like Square-Enix did and hire people that care, Tyria will not be reborn.

One person does not ruin a company - a whole company does that.

Originally posted by Zzad

After playing for more than 5 months,i can still say GW2 is by far the best MMO i´ve ever played!

And it just born....wait a couple of expansions ^^

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

When you make a post like that you are obliged to post your MMO resume so you can show that its not the first MMO you play for more than 3 months.

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

Other then blumpkins from the dev team...expansions are also something I will keep my eye on...Im not against the game..just feel it was mediocre and lacking content....lack of devs giving fucks about pvp and such.

Originally posted by botrytis

One person does not ruin a company - a whole company does that.

You've never worked in a company with more than 10 employees, have you?

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

When you make a post like that you are obliged to post your MMO resume so you can show that its not the first MMO you play for more than 3 months.

He likes the game - nuff said - if he didn't like it nuff said. People posting their MMO creds is just utter nonsense because it could be all lies anyway. After all, this is the internet where fake stories are the King.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Been playing GW2 since headstart and have been loving it. Best game on the market for the non gear treadmill (raiding) crowd. Its all about the look, not the stats. Its very easy to get the best gear, but how cool do you want to look? I personally think for the WoW type games, Rift takes the cake. With the new expac, its really an epic game.

WoW is a good game, but when a person has been playing it long enough it loses its luster. You're probably not there yet. But it will happen at some point.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    My average game time is still ~4-5 hours a day since launch. And I don't see it dropping any time soon.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Originally posted by iamthekiller

I didn't really mention how well it did do or didn't. I know MOP sold more then 3 million copies in a week though. I think that is probably faster then GW2. Im not knocking people who like the game at all...im not saying it's unsuccessful...it's succesfull for a mediocre game for sure..a real record setter!

An expansion is different then a game release. Saying your MMO sold 3 million copies in a week which was the first time the game did not break a previous record for sales and with an installed user base of 10 million doesn't mean anything. It was not the fastest selling MMO of all time, GW2 was and still is. Nice try though, considering you started your post off by claiming you did not mention how well it did yet still replied to me by claiming GW2's numbers were not as significant as I claim. 

You can't state your opinion as fact and claim I cannot defend your argument with facts. You like WoW and you don't like GW2..who cares. The fact is that GW2 has sold faster then any other MMO does not change. You can claim it is mediocre all you want though. That is your opinion. Unfortunately for you they already got your money so you basically voted for the game being a winner. Thanks for your contribution towards my current and future content patches for the game I enjoy. 

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

This is from the Holidays. Been playing since before the launch and not only am I still going strong in there but the game is going strong as well. Three million sales for this fledgling game, they're adding staff, still growing, still making it better. 

For me, personally, hype exceeded. Your mileage may vary.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Ok so to play devils advocate here, MOP only selling 3 millions copies in a week conciddering WoW's "subs" triples that by peoples estimates then I think that in and of itself is a sign. You have already praised  WoW and in the same sentence took a dig at GW in your first post, then called GW2 a mediocre game in this post so I am not sure of your intentions but I am guessing it isn't for a discussion nor are you really wanting your origional question answered.

I am still playing and enjoying GW2 and I had played WoW untill shortly after CATA. I feel the hype was warranted and the game is good, I just think it isn't as flushed out and deep as I was looking for. I detested the direction WoW was going and only stuck around as long as I did because friends played. If you wanted an honest discussion you probably should have stayed away from attacking and comparing one game to another. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

An expansion is different then a game release. Saying your MMO sold 3 million copies in a week which was the first time the game did not break a previous record for sales and with an installed user base of 10 million doesn't mean anything. It was not the fastest selling MMO of all time, GW2 was and still is. Nice try though, considering you started your post off by claiming you did not mention how well it did yet still replied to me by claiming GW2's numbers were not as significant as I claim. 

You can't state your opinion as fact and claim I cannot defend your argument with facts. You like WoW and you don't like GW2..who cares. The fact is that GW2 has sold faster then any other MMO does not change. You can claim it is mediocre all you want though. That is your opinion. Unfortunately for you they already got your money so you basically voted for the game being a winner. Thanks for your contribution towards my current and future content patches for the game I enjoy. 

I never once stated my opinion as fact. I actually went out of my way to specifically say it was my opinion and it wasn't popular. Your attitude is quite amusing though, you come in here attacking me because you want to make sure everyone knows GW2 wasn't a failure...but I never said it was..you seem like you know deep down it's mediore but don't want to admit it to yourself.

As far as MOP being different because it's an expansion...that's pretty much something you made up to rationalize your viewpoint that GW2 is the fastest selling MMO of all time when it's not. MOP is...you don't get to discount it for subjective reasons. Or can you point me in the direction of the rulebook that defines these things? Did obama sign a executive action declaring expansions for mmo's don't count as mmo release's?

All that aside, if you don't care about the topic of my thread why post? Why not just go on with your life? GW2 isn't gonna magically become a good game because your white knighting it.

I'm not saying its a bad game though, just that they just didnt deliver on their promises.

I quit playing when I got bored of doing the same things over and over and over again. It was missing both Fun and Challenge, which IMO, are key ingredients to an MMO. I had more fun in jumping puzzles (halloween was by far the best) than the actual game.

WvW is always the same, Stalemate or one-sided. I appreciate their attempt at making it work though. It confirms my doubts about a direct 3-faction system done in that fashion. It doesnt help that it includes jumping puzzles, for example, which when combined with player caps makes for unbalanced teams.

Maybe I'm just too good for this game type, but does anyone else die of boredom in dungeons? EG: Easy, really easy bosses, where finding good players is more challenging than the game itself? Its worse than WoW even since there is nothing to get players to group together. I'm still waiting on a game which will tier people with a rating based on successes/failure rate on dungeons (by dungeon), now that would make people care enough to play well... well if they are as good as they claim to be.

• GundricGundric Member UncommonPosts: 345
    I have played since beta and now have 3 main toons that are very geared (Ele, Guardian and Thief). At first I was a bit unsure about the dungeon mechanics but I now really enjoy them and the way my classes can play in a group and have them all set up very differently and have gotten pretty good with each. Me and my ingame friends have a good time exploring, doing jumping puzzles and dungeons. Occasionally we jump in WvW (I can only take it in small doses). I've played around 850 hours so I feel that I've gotten my moneys worth so far and am patiently waiting for the content updates coming in Feb/March. I would like to see more guild content but I do realize that GW2 is still very much a baby and look forward to what the future holds for the game. I'm probably going to throttle back on my playtime and check out some other games for now though.  GW2 isn't everything I've ever wanted in an mmo but hey, I've had a good time enjoying it for what it is so far. I am looking forward to a good sandbox type game to play though but no reason I can't play GW2 on the side when new stuff comes out. Just have fun people. If it's not for you then just go play something else.
  • GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

GW2 isn't gonna magically become a good game because your white knighting it.

A lot of people feel GW2 is a good game. Are they wrong? Why is your opinion the correct one?

What makes your negative opinion of the game more valid than a dissenting  positive opinion?

I became bored in GW2 after 2 months and haven't gone back.

I don't rant about how the game is not good, it's just not for me.

Maybe, just maybe there are good games out there that just do not appeal to you.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

WvW is always the same, Stalemate or one-sided. I appreciate their attempt at making it work though. It confirms my doubts about a direct 3-faction system done in that fashion. It doesnt help that it includes jumping puzzles, for example, which when combined with player caps makes for unbalanced teams.

Just as an aside, have you checked out this weeks T1 match between JQ, SoR and SoS? Easily one of the best matches I've been in in awhile... all three sides are tenacious and going for the win. It's been an absolute blast.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Well I think it's safe to say it didn't kill WOW like some claimed it would. I personally played for a month or so and got an ele to lvl 80..I did all the dungeons once or twice and started pvping..I did that for a couple weeks before I realized it was really boring and not fun. I haven't played since and that was couple months ago...

I went back to WOW after a really long break..like since wrath release and I was actually pleased with what I found. I think Pandaland alone is better then GW2 in it's entirety....I realize thats probably not a popular opinion but it's mine.

That being said, what could bring me back to the world of Tyria? Honestly nothing short of a blumpkin from the devs...

Well its obvious that the game was not gonna kill WoW and no one in their right mind said otherwise.  If you listed to anyone who said as much then that is your own silly fault.  But the obvious truth is it did take a great number of subscriptions from WoW seeing as it outsold WoW for the first 2-3 months and Pandaland is considered the poorest selling xpac to date.  The only conclusion is GW2 did take away alot of sales.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Nothing can bring me back. I treated GW2 like the game it was. It was like a console game. I beat it then moved on. It's just not a good mmorpg. Perhaps too themepark for me, too.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Tayah

Nothing can bring me back. I treated GW2 like the game it was. It was like a console game. I beat it then moved on. It's just not a good mmorpg. Perhaps too themepark for me, too.

Do we really need another 'I got bored of game A, Game B is great'  thread? 

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Ghern

GW2 isn't gonna magically become a good game because your white knighting it.

A lot of people feel GW2 is a good game. Are they wrong? Why is your opinion the correct one?

What makes your negative opinion of the game more valid than a dissenting  positive opinion?

I became bored in GW2 after 2 months and haven't gone back.

I don't rant about how the game is not good, it's just not for me.

Maybe, just maybe there are good games out there that just do not appeal to you.

If a game doesn't appeal to me and I don't find it fun..It isn't a good game to me. Im not gonna preface every statement I make about GW2 with..."Don't worry you sensitive fanbois, GW2 is actually a good game but here is why I don't like it." Frankly, I already said in my OP this was my opinion...yet people come into this thread accusing me of stating opinions as facts..I say thats just them being insecure because what Im saying is striking a nerve. I mean I honestly don't know what else to do...if I preface what im saying with "THIS IS MY OPINION" and people still accuse me of making up facts.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I've recently gone back and the game is in a much better place - it's simply more fun than it was before.

I've just started exploring Orr which is fun - and apparently I'm a genius because Orr was really awful before?

sPvP is a lot of fun.

WvW still needs some major work IMO, but hopefully the big March update helps.

I really like the Living Story and can't wait to play the next chapters.

The game REALLY needs an in-game top-notch cross-realm LFG tool for dungeons/fractals.

Right now everyone seems to be using a 3rd party website, which is a huge turn off for me. The need is obviously there to do the same in game Anet.

I really hope they add in a WoW-like LFD tool when the next phase of dungeon fixes/tweaks comes out.

Beyond that, I'm still hopeful for more weapons and maybe weapon skills per weapon in the first expansion to make it a but more mix and match like GW1 was.

As it stands now, I don't really like the way the secondaries / elite skills work and I don't like the hard-set weapon skills.

Now that they've got guesting enabled, I also think they should do what WoW did and make the leveling zones cross realm to host a much healthier population across all zones.