Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Already losing interest after about a week of casual play

2»

Comments

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

If you've played PS1 then you should know what to expect with PS2..

its appeal is its massive warfare scale,it doesnt have any depth beyond that,but really what shooter does?

the epicness of this game keeps me coming back,scenerio's that you wouldnt expect to happen just may actually happen.

If youre expecting some epic quest to go on for some big boss fights and phat lewtz,then youre in the wrong neighborhood.

I see it as a breath of fresh air and a nice break from the stagnant smelly swamp we call todays world of MMOs

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388
    I had fun for a day.
  • SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    T9-Carv for TR is seriously one of the most powerful and effective weapons in Planetside 2....and its a starter rifle.  Same with the Orion for Vanu, the rest are just specialty weapons that you may pick later with your developing talents.  I hate to be offensive but you sound like a noob who got frustrated too easily.  You're going to get blown up and thrown around to the wind like a rag doll caught in a hurricane until you calm down and learn the game.
  • spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

I stopped playing PS2 aswell since New Year and actually I slowly lost interest already before Christmas.

Planetside 2 is still some kind of BETA for me like I said in the other closed thread before I could even get into more details. But in the meanwhile a lot of players just see that the game is just flashy at the beginning but lacks a lot of substance at the end, with really many issues from balance to architectonic missconcepts and missing gameplay features.

Iam speechless that older games, and in this case 10-12 year old ones,  like Planetside 1 or ww2online/Battleground Europe did offer such a superior metagame in comparison to a game almost released in 2013. They even had a predeccessor in form of Planetside 1 and instead they would take the chance to improve the game they actually crippled the game content and gameplay quality. They just released a BF/COD type limited gameplay whose very short game rounds on small maps just doesnt fit with an mmofps. A half finished game if you compare it to PS1 and such a boring one. An ingame shop with shiny new weapons wont cut it.

I did play Planetside 1 for a while and  ww2online/Battleground Europe for longer some years ago which had really epic battles, the greatness of victory/end of a campaign or to conquer the whole game world for one faction took sometimes four weeks with massive intense fights, until they focked up their own game, I did really love these mmofps games. These were the only two major mmofps on the market and people were just hoping for years that something already will be released with quality gameplay. The release of Planetside 2 is such a disappointment, biggest for me in 2012.

F2P..... better to pay for quality and someone still have to show me a game based on F2P which actually delivers great quality....have not seen a single  mmo so far and most are crappy asian grinders. Wonder how they will change Planetside 1 into a F2P game....Iam sceptical after I have seen PS2.

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Originally posted by Swiftrevoir
      I hate to be offensive but you sound like a noob....

Heh, ok so I'm a noob.  Feel better?  You're right, I'm too dim witted to be playing this video game.  I better just leave it to you experts.  You know I wanted to get my degree in video-game-ology but the local community college didn't offer it.  Tell me, could I play the game with just a masters degree or do I need to go for my Phd?

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495
    heavy starter gun is one of the best rifles in game, certs for that class are mostly utility with no improvements to stopping power or armor...

engineer and medic are useful from day 1, heavy tanks are competetive in stock loadout... even light assault kicks in stock setup.

the only viable argument is aircraft... those suck without certs. to people complaining about infantry I can only rolleyes
  • LuperzaLuperza Member Posts: 23

We recently implemented a new system that allows you to see where the action is happening. You'll notice a lot of little dots that indicate where the enemies are on the main map (when you hit M). The more dots the more enemies and action are in that area! 

I also recomend finding an outfit that really works with your playstyle and playtime. There are tons of them, so I'm sure you'll find one that suits your needs! They also provide a lot of information that isn't as well known amongst lone-wolfers. <3

Let me know if you still have concerns. :) 

Margaret "Luperza" Krohn
    Your Friendly Community Relations Representative
    @PurrfectStorm | Friday Night Ops

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

Since you're watching and I have played a bit more than casually the past two weeks or so...

Biggest issue:

What is the point? ATM there is no reward for defending and often no advantage to it. The bases are incredibly badly laid out for defense; honestly they are more like obstacle courses for infantry fights. The strategic advantages for holding an area are far too little to be incentive enough on their own.

Secondary issues:

You kind of missed on the spawn camping issues; in many cases the spawns are no harder to camp than they ever were and as part of the change you actually made it easier to bypass defenders/pin spawns in some places.

Engineers get way too little exp for repairing - no other profession has to make as big a target of themselves for snipers just to do their primary function

Base turrets have too few HP; vehicles really shouldn't be able to beat a fixed emplacement in a straight stand up slug match. Also, turrets should be able to elevate/depress to cover most of the angles they can be shot from - many of them are ridiculously blocked by their own base atm.

Your recent change to stealth cloaks is broken; anyone with middling to poor GFX can see stealthers clear as day now.

The assorted breathing mechanics and bolt action rifles applying only to Infils makes other profs with battle rifles/carbines more effective snipers in a great many situations - this is just wrong

Drop pods need to either go away or be more steerable; nothing is sillier than dying 10secs after you drop in because you just couldn't land anyplace that wasn't ground zero for a ton of firepower

De-grease the tank treads already! Not sure what changed recently, but tanks shouldn't slide down roads, off corners and such the way they do now.

Increase the elevation range on vehicle secondaries - the primary historical purpose of the commanders guns was as AA; as it stands most of them cannot elevate enough to hit aircraft

Lower aircraft armor/hp nearly across the board; watching tank main gun rounds and arty hit aircraft and not kill them is just sad. AA is grossly underpowered by comparison.

That's my short list :)

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Once you get over the games "awesome factor" meaning your new game experience is going to be full with a lot of cool battles, fun stuff happening, and occasionally some stunning moments when you realize just how big the battle your a part of is...the game starts to get stale rather quick.

There is just little in terms of meaningful progression.  Even less in terms of strategy, and far less in terms of depth to what you are doing in game.  Farm kills, flip bases, rinse repeate.  It gets old eventually, and interest in playing decreases untill you get distracted with another game and forget about PS2...which is what happend to me.

Logged in recently, checked my certs, had everything i really needed.  Checked the cash shop for guns, nothing much new that looked appealing to work for.  Checked the map, hopped into a battle, just couldnt get into it since i knew the outcome the second i hit the ground.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I played for about 2 weeks and there's just something missing.  I have no clue what it is, but I played PlanetSide for over a year.  In PS2, I'm just not hooked.  I used to be a pilot.  I would fly around transporting troops, but noone seems to want to do that anymore :(
  • Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by Neanderthal

Because I started this thread I guess I'll update my status again. 

Since my last post I've completely lost interest and stopped playing it.  I had some fun moments here and there but overall it just wasn't enough fun to motivate me to keep logging in.

A big part of the problem is that the starter guns are just too freakin weak.  Probably this is partly due to the fact that more dedicated players are getting armor upgrades by this point either through earned certs or by paying. 

Part of it is the generally pointless feeling of it all as others have mentioned.

And probably some other things but I guess I'm not going to bother with any more analysis.  The bottom line is that I wasn't having much fun.  I know SOE wants me to fork over some cash for upgrades but if I'm not having fun to begin with I'm not going to spend money on upgrades hoping that by doing so the game will suddenly become more fun.

Also, to those who advised joining a guild.  I don't like joining guilds willy nilly.  I will only join a guild if I already know I'm going to be staying with a game for a long time and even then I'm reluctant because I've had bad experiences with guilds.  Anyway, the "fun" principle holds true here as well.  If I'm not already having fun I won't join a guild in hopes that that will make it fun.

So that's it.  I tried it and didn't like it enough to keep playing.

Do you play on EU or US servers? If EU then send me a pm and I'll get you an invite to our outfit, in fact if you're in the US but don't mind playing on an EU server then you can join. We are fighting everyday, there's plenty of people to help and you'll always find battles since we are part of the Terran Republic Alliance that co-ordinates the destruction of the NC and VS.

Just create a Terran Republic char on woodman server and send me a PM on MMORPG.com.

Playing PS2 solo gets old very quickly as you've discovered, you need to be part of an outfit and even if our outfit isn't for you you'll get some idea of what the other outfits are like and can pick one that suits you,

See you on Auraxis soldier,

Loyalty until death.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    I played for about 2 weeks and there's just something missing.  I have no clue what it is, but I played PlanetSide for over a year.  In PS2, I'm just not hooked.  I used to be a pilot.  I would fly around transporting troops, but noone seems to want to do that anymore :(

I'm in a dedicated drop troopers outfit. Plenty of Gal flying. I see Gals all the time.

• LuperzaLuperza Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I recommend finding an outfit that is looking for a pro Galaxy pilot. :) There are a ton of outfits that would love for you to do what it seems like you already enjoy. 

Margaret "Luperza" Krohn
    Your Friendly Community Relations Representative
    @PurrfectStorm | Friday Night Ops

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

I just have to add this: since the most recent round of patches either you have had a massive influx of hackers or you introduced one massive bug.

I am routinely getting killed by non-infils who are totally invis, even while they are firing. I assume it is a bug, related to the new rendering problem where people are just suddenly popping on screen at 20m or less...these just aren't rendering at all even as they kill you lol.

(and no, it's not my machine...it wasn't happening a week+ ago)