Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] WildStar: Uncovering Nexus' Secrets

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

WildStar is one of those games that has been languishing behind the veil but Carbine Studios is ready to start releasing more information to an excited audience. We've got a hands on preview of WildStar that you definitely won't want to miss. Check it out and then let us know what you think in the comments.

The Carbine team members believe that you should be able to play the game according to your own play style, and are developing WildStar with the intention for players to level in a large, interactive world, with a variety and density of interesting content available.  This world is modifiable by both the devs and players, and will offer several types of level cap content, including skill-based and competitive group raids, solo story content, and a PvP mode that is as of yet unannounced.   The only thing we know so far about WildStar's PvP is the presence of Warplots, giant shared battle fortresses that can be shaped in ways similar to those found in the game's housing system.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's WildStar: Uncovering Nexus' Secrets.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    This is beginning to gather pace.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    If you can get past the art style, which seems a little overly cartoony (looney toonsy might be a better description) to me, the game seems very interesting.
  • drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

I am ready to give it a try. I have somewhat been following things on WildStar here and there. Hopefully it will be fun. Currently when I want to play a shooter style game my go to is Fire Fall. Not sure Wild Star will be enough to take Fire Fall's place, but it does look fun. I dont mind the "looney toonsy" graphics. 

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Gotta say the Animation is top-notch from what I've seen.

I reckon Pixar should even pick up this IP as well for one of their future animations.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    The game may be great, but my trust for NCsoft is nil at this point. NCsoft - where MMOs go to die.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Originally posted by Leethe
    This is beginning to gather pace.

It's an explosion of news for February. A February Newsplosion, if you will! (the link goes to WSC - a fansite that is collating all the new stuff, and has all the old too!)

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    I can't get into the art style at all, and I'm usually not picky about such things.  It's like watching Saturday morning cartoons circa 1985 or something.  

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

The animation in the first clip is amazing :D no 'stiffness' and just silly :D

I like the fact that's it's a non-serious MMO for once ^^   Been a while since we saw a good one. Too many MMO's try to create realistic graphics in which only a rare few succeed imo :)

I hope i can get to test this game, can't wait

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    The art style works for me. I can't wait to get to try this game.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    I look forward to trying this one, especially the explorer path.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619

I cant wait to give this one a try. Im still alittle hesitant about some things, like the path system. Im not thrilled about having to always be near 3 other people with different paths to be able to access all the content.

At least the two paths they have shown are very content oriented. Without an explorer nearby youll never get in those caves and hidden areas. And the soldier is the only one who can start most Pq/De type content. So other players just have to sit around and wait for a soldier to come by? If the other 2 paths limit content as much as these two, its gonna be a PITA to access the games content. But im willing to wait and see.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by aslan132

I cant wait to give this one a try. Im still alittle hesitant about some things, like the path system. Im not thrilled about having to always be near 3 other people with different paths to be able to access all the content.

At least the two paths they have shown are very content oriented. Without an explorer nearby youll never get in those caves and hidden areas. And the soldier is the only one who can start most Pq/De type content. So other players just have to sit around and wait for a soldier to come by? If the other 2 paths limit content as much as these two, its gonna be a PITA to access the games content. But im willing to wait and see.

Tbh, this 'problem of yours' is something many mmo's are lacking nowadays. Some stuff should require more players then just 1. It encourages community and teamplay.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Derros
    If you can get past the art style, which seems a little overly cartoony (looney toonsy might be a better description) to me, the game seems very interesting.

Get past it? Are you kidding me? I love it! :D

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by MikeB

I've found that a good stylized game can create more immersion than games that try to be 'realistic'.  This is the case for me, anyway.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    Those screenshots are gorgeous. I want to jump in and explore.
  • DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Nope. Im usally not big into graphics, but the artstyle seems a bit "kiddie" for me.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Djildjamesh
    Originally posted by aslan132

Tbh, this 'problem of yours' is something many mmo's are lacking nowadays. Some stuff should require more players then just 1. It encourages community and teamplay.

Which is all fine and good until you want to do something and there are no players there. Its the same old story.  Waiting for a group breaks the flow of playing a game.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    How is the combat?  Is tab-target or action-based like Guild Wars 2.   That will be a critical deciding factor for me.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    How is the combat?  Is tab-target or action-based like Guild Wars 2.   That will be a critical deciding factor for me.

Action based. No targeting at all. Dodging with a much more advanced telagraph system. Unlike GW2 they have the holly trinity. IMO thats a step up.

• aerinndisaerinndis Member Posts: 67
    I actually love the art style. It's one of the things that originally drew me to the game. It's one I'm keeping an eye on for sure.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    This looks like fun. But with that amount of detail and design, the QA is going to be a serious PITA. Lets hope NCsoft doesn't push the game out before its ready, or kill it before it has time to find its audience.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

As long as you can do all 4 paths on the same character to really, really create some great play variety I'll be happy.

For some reason it kind of reminds me of Earth and Beyond - you had 3 seperate leveling paths in that game - Combat/Trade/Exploration - but the concept was a bit underdeveloped in that game.

I love the idea of the Explorer/Scientist/Colonist in this game - now we just have to see about how well that idea is executed.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    As long as I'm not required to quest grind I would be interested in this despite the art style.  Good to hear that dodging is in for combat.  Should be interesting to see how this pans out.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by MikeB

I'm certainly not saying its bad, it just might not be for everyone.  I usually like most art styles, from AoC, to WoW, to Tera (minus the bunny girls), to TSW, to Binding of Isaac. 

Wildstar just seems "off" to me for whatever reason, I felt the same way about Rift (although for different reasons), maybe the colors are a little TO vibrant. I'm not saying that I wont play it or get used to the style,  It may just be that I'm not actually seeing it running on my own screen, or the videos I've seen havent been of a quality to do it justice.

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Looks prity awesome and ofc there is NC Soft so 50 euros for BETA Testing !!!