Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

non-isometric mmorpg with Diablo-style loot system?

fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208
Anyone know of a 3D mmorpg with a random item generation loot system like in the diablo series (most gear is found, not bought or crafted)?

Me

Her

Comments

• SykozenSykozen Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Try Path of Exile, it looks like diablo and it's free to play without a p2w shop. Might be what you're looking for.

• fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Sykozen
    Try Path of Exile, it looks like diablo and it's free to play without a p2w shop. Might be what you're looking for.

I'm actually playing it right now, whcih is what got me thinking about the loot system again.  The isometric view just kills it for me though.  I much more prefer games where I can actually look where I'm going and see more than what's 10 feet around me.

I used to play DDO, and in hindsight, DDO has a similar loot system, which is probably one of the reasons I liked it so much.  There must be other games with that loot system that have the standard WASD control/view set up.  Come on people!

Me

Her

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

The only 3d MMO I'm aware of to do a Diablo loot system is Asheron's Call. Maybe DDO like you mentioned, but AC is 1000 times better (no exaggeration)

Sooooooooo much item variety off of killing stuff. Its crazy. 

However, it was made in 1999...so....yeah

I guess WoW could work, it had quite a large item variety. Maybe better than DDO. That is only other one I can think of.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    He said non-isometric, path of exile is isometric. I want to see a first person diablo style loot game personally.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Wow IS diablo in mmo form.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Wow IS diablo in mmo form.

not really. It does have item variety, but the same amount as other MMOs. He is looking for a Diablo-style loot system, and WoW is more like a quarter of the way there. There is variety, yes, maybe a bit better than a lot of MMOs...but noway near the item variety as Diablo or Path of Exile (though that is isometric)

Asheron's Call is far more like diablo than WoW in the item department. AC is a true diablo loot system, and only MMO that is 3d that has one. But its so old. 

SWG was up there too imo...but that relied on crafting, not finding items off of mobs.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by fivetigers
    Anyone know of a 3D mmorpg with a random item generation loot system like in the diablo series (most gear is found, not bought or crafted)?

Seeing as every ARPG is isometric theres no need.

What the world needs is an ARPG set in a 3rd person, using WASD movement and Hotbar skillbased combat.  Now that is a game I can get into.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

i would say hellgate tokyo, if you dont need fantasy setting.

edit: added item stats picture

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by fivetigers

Asheron's Call is the only dynamic loot style MMO.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Hahaha, yes Asheron's Call is the greatest MMO of all time and I am looking for a replacement.  I figured I'd try to tackle that impossible project by approaching the endeavor starting from the loot system.  Hellgate Tokyo I might have to look into.

Me

Her

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Seeing as every ARPG is isometric theres no need.

What the world needs is an ARPG set in a 3rd person, using WASD movement and Hotbar skillbased combat.  Now that is a game I can get into.

http://www.allgame.com/style.php?id=417&tab=games

Lots of them in that list. Dungeon Lords makes for a nice multiplayer adventure. Skyrim kinda rocks, too.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre