Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: WvW Delayed to March

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As the final preparations are made for the release of the Guild Wars 2 February update, Colin Johanson hit the official forums to tell players that the much-anticipated WvW improvements would be delayed until March. Johanson cites the need for more polish, testing, and improvements as the reasons behind the delay.

Other major systems currently in the works, which will see updates in the future, include:

• Continual work to re-build the way our game loads models and compresses data, to allow for more visible characters/names in WvW in the long run as we build towards removing as much culling as possible from the game.

• Expanding on reasons to be winning in WvW beyond the total weekly score, providing stronger incentives for specific objectives and additional short term goals/rewards for winning minute-to-minute in the WvW maps.

• Providing additional ways for WvW players to earn various power-progression rewards available across the game currently in PvE for participating in WvW content.

• Exploring ways to help get more people playing WvW, as well as dealing with queue issues that come with those inherent issues of player population and demand.

• And of course additional polish and cleanup features to make the general experience in WuvWuv more fun and exciting.

Read the full post on the Guild Wars 2 forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    AKA: we still have no idea how to fix culling. Its ok Anet, I still like your game. :)

Joined - July 2004

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Its DUB V DUB not WuvWuv. Stop trying to be Nintendo, Anet.

This is not a game.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by remyburke
    AKA: we still have no idea how to fix culling. Its ok Anet, I still like your game. :)

Real talk they still hiring maybe you can go and show them, you might make a lot of money doing so, I'm not even being sarcastic right now.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I suppose a delay is better than a rushed buggy patch. I am really interested in what they have in mind for WvW progression.

OR they could just start work on GvG thus assuring I'll be playing for years to come. :)
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    The picture above always makes me laugh.... who in their right mind sits on the ground in snow? :-)
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

I respect the delay. Better well done than a' halph assed.' rush..weve seen to many rush on games with catastrophic results.

the www is fine atm anyways.never had any harsh issues with it.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Fine with me, better to do it right the first time than have to release hotfixes like a sob

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Originally posted by Benbrada
    The picture above always makes me laugh.... who in their right mind sits on the ground in snow? :-)

You just blew my mind.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Ah look as GW2 flushes down away into being terrible and god aweful, making dumb choices and...

Haha yeah, I'm just kidding but 90% of fan bois will read that first tad bit and flame me most likely. Ignorance is bliss! Anyways my biggest complaint is with WvW in a bit of 'problems' (thus why a fix is needed) it baffles me why it wasn't focused more to the forefront considering the game itself basically prides on being a 'pvp' game. Lets not sugar coat it, the pvp in this game is  quite lack luster if your looking on it as a 'pvp focused' game so having it working perfectly (as close as possible) would IMO do more for boosting how well a game performs. 

Then again I can see how 'fixing' something won't general grab new people's attentions in as well as pretty events and other distractions I suppose over internal fixes that are hardly really 'visible'.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

Yay now I get to continue playing the same content that I have been since August! I was hoping these Jan-Mar content updates would be able to bridge the gap till Archeage but it appears that will not be the case. I always feared B2P would mean little incentives for content updates and these fears are coming to fruition.

And before someone decides to flame me, I mean PERMINANT content updates which there has been very little of since the game was released.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by steelwind

Yay now I get to continue playing the same content that I have been since August! I was hoping these Jan-Mar content updates would be able to bridge the gap till Archeage but it appears that will not be the case. I always feared B2P would mean little incentives for content updates and these fears are coming to fruition.

And before someone decides to flame me, I mean PERMINANT content updates which there has been very little of since the game was released.

i totally agree with you and one of the reason i do not play hardly at all anymore. This game has the slowest updates ive ever seen in a game. They  add in events yes with a quick quest line and a couple of dungeons but overall all their content patches are small with just bug fixes. The world vs world has had hardly anything at all added to it since release yet people continue to claim this game is faster then rift updates and trion . Yes they patch bug fixes and small amounts of content with events but its by far nothing at all to call good patches.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by cronius77

i totally agree with you and one of the reason i do not play hardly at all anymore. This game has the slowest updates ive ever seen in a game. They  add in events yes with a quick quest line and a couple of dungeons but overall all their content patches are small with just bug fixes. The world vs world has had hardly anything at all added to it since release yet people continue to claim this game is faster then rift updates and trion . Yes they patch bug fixes and small amounts of content with events but its by far nothing at all to call good patches.

LOL - whut? Some updates are slow but you also seem to the type of person that would complain if a patch came out and broke something - you would complain about not enough testing was done. Now that they are testing things to make sure stuff doesn't break, you complain that they are to slow. Which do you want - fast and broke or slow and working?

Originally posted by botrytis

LOL - whut? Some updates are slow but you also seem to the type of person that would complain if a patch came out and broke something - you would complain about not enough testing was done. Now that they are testing things to make sure stuff doesn't break, you complain that they are to slow. Which do you want - fast and broke or slow and working?

i knew it was only a matter of time before you attacked me on here when i said something about your beloved game man but seriously give it a rest you dont know me nor what I would and wouldnt complain about nor do you even know my history. Just because you are so zealous over this game doesnt change the fact the updates are slow and little to no content but some events. I was an avid fan of this game from alpha on but I do not make up lies and excuses for how bad this game drops the ball now. Just like in another thread where you attack the poster because his account was banned and it turned out it was a billing address issue yet you avidly went after his name being ritz......You seriously need to step back away from the computer and respect others opinions , its not the end of the world and not everyone is going to agree with you , yet you feel entitled to be in every single thread someone says something negative about this game , even if its as valid as your opinion.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

i knew it was only a matter of time before you attacked me on here when i said something about your beloved game man but seriously give it a rest you dont know me nor what I would and wouldnt complain about nor do you even know my history. Just because you are so zealous over this game doesnt change the fact the updates are slow and little to no content but some events. I was an avid fan of this game from alpha on but I do not make up lies and excuses for how bad this game drops the ball now. Just like in another thread where you attack the poster because his account was banned and it turned out it was a billing address issue yet you avidly went after his name being ritz......You seriously need to step back away from the computer and respect others opinions , its not the end of the world and not everyone is going to agree with you , yet you feel entitled to be in every single thread someone says something negative about this game , even if its as valid as your opinion.

The thing is, saying something negative about something not true at all will make people react this way. Saying that this game has the slowest updates you've seen is just plain false. It's actually quite the opposite, I've never seen an MMO who could release a patch per month. Sure they didn't make a good amount of permanent content, ill totally agree on this but witch game did that many patches in that amount of time?, permanent content or not. Not many. Little to no content but some events? Guess what, an event is some content, even if its not permanent. Which games can do this? Exactly. At least if you try to bash something, give us some good example and facts with proofs instead of just saying "your opinion" which is just false. Facts > opinions even if you don't think it's working that way. Also, I've never seen someone claiming that Anet are releasing patch faster than Trion. Also guess what, most of Trion patches are the same thing as Anet, some bug fixes and tweaks. So your calling Anet patches weak but Trion one's good? Yeah like that makes any sense... Just go look at rift patch notes and you will see that most of them are just hotfixes.

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by Benbrada

You powers of perception are impressive. I never even noticed that. :)

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by SirFubar

The thing is, saying something negative about something not true at all will make people react this way. Saying that this game has the slowest updates you've seen is just plain false. It's actually quite the opposite, I've never seen an MMO who could release a patch per month. Sure they didn't make a good amount of permanent content, ill totally agree on this but witch game did that many patches in that amount of time?, permanent content or not. Not many. Little to no content but some events? Guess what, an event is some content, even if its not permanent. Which games can do this? Exactly. At least if you try to bash something, give us some good example and facts with proofs instead of just saying "your opinion" which is just false. Facts > opinions even if you don't think it's working that way. Also, I've never seen someone claiming that Anet are releasing patch faster than Trion. Also guess what, most of Trion patches are the same thing as Anet, some bug fixes and tweaks. So your calling Anet patches weak but Trion one's good? Yeah like that makes any sense... Just go look at rift patch notes and you will see that most of them are just hotfixes.

Honestly, being an ex-Rift player, GW2 can't even come close to comparing nor was I expecting it since it is b2P. I played Rift for a year and I found myself time and time again wondering how they were able to develop so much in so little time. They added new game modes, alternate advancement, large land masses, new professions the list goes on and on. Also a large chunk of it were game features that no one expected. Also, World Events came along with just about every patch and they actually gave rewards that people wanted. If you have played Rift for any decent amount of time, you would know they don't compare. Though Rift really isn't the point.

First, you are fooling yourself if you think they developed the holiday events during that time. GW1 holiday events were huge and part of the core game. All those holiday events you saw in GW2 I can guarantee were in design for a long time prior to the game's release. I cannot recall I single thing that GW2 has added in a patch that was interesting or something to look forward to. Now they lowered expectations yet again to a point where I do not expect anything new until at least april or may. This is a LONG time for an MMO to not release anything new yet they expect us to keep consuming the same ol' content while at the same time tooling drops so you get less and less. Take for instance the new chests that drop for greens and above, I can guarantee the only reason they did this was because they wanted to be able tool greens and above separately from trash and blues. Breaking them out into separate sources allows them to tool them separately which I can guarantee will end with less greens and above.

It also doesn't help that Anet is the least communicative to it's comunity than any other MMO dev I have seen. I have never seen a game where we don't know what will be in a patch until after it is released. Unless you give something concrete for players to look forward to, you risk loosing them.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

^ ehem 

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/february-2013/

• brand new PvP map
    • guild missions
    • 2 Team rated PvP
    • choose you own achievements

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    It also doesn't help that Anet is the least communicative to it's comunity than any other MMO dev I have seen. I have never seen a game where we don't know what will be in a patch until after it is released. Unless you give something concrete for players to look forward to, you risk loosing them.
    This shows me how you don't really follow GW2 at all. You obviously didn't even read the OP and post this? Nice try.
    i think hes talking about the midnight patches that the notes are not up until the next day where the it tells you to restart for a new build etc. They do not always have patch notes up until after the patch , but they have been good about the major ones. WvW is long overdue for a real patch though its been a very long time with a lot of promises so you can expect some of us to be a little annoyed.

if you just stick here @mmorpg.com for GW2 news yeah you may think that ANET is the least communicative, but if you check out the dev posts in the official forums, they share much more info there on a daily basis

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/devtracker 

some patches are just maintenance patches (no new content), and they dont release patch notes before the actual patch because they may change/remove features at the last minute and they dont want angry mobs going after their throats cuz of that

patches and patch notes has been that way since GW1 btw

• JackyD30JackyD30 Member Posts: 20

to those clamouring that GW2 has a faster update/content addition cycle than rift:

http://forums.riftgame.com/official-rift-news/patch-notes/145022-rift-1-1-3-30-11-8-00am-pdt-4-00pm-bst.html Patch 1.1 released 03/30/2011

http://forums.riftgame.com/official-rift-news/patch-notes/185421-rift-1-2-spoils-war-5-10-11-na-11-5-11-eu.html Patch 1.2 released 05/10/2011

http://forums.riftgame.com/official-rift-news/patch-notes/185421-rift-1-2-spoils-war-5-10-11-na-11-5-11-eu.html Patch 1.3 released 06/22/2011

http://forums.riftgame.com/official-rift-news/patch-notes/236198-rift-1-4-8-00am-pdt-8-3-11-na-1-00am-gmt-4-08-11-eu.html Patch 1.4 released 08/03/2011

http://forums.riftgame.com/official-rift-news/patch-notes/261049-rift-1-5-8-00am-pdt-9-28-11-na-1-00am-gmt-29-9-11-eu.html Patch 1.5 released 09/28/2011

These are only the major patches/content additions Trion has released over the first 6 or 7 months for a full list of hot fixes and minor patches 1.1.1 etc head to http://forums.riftgame.com/official-rift-news/patch-notes/index8.html

Even tho ANet might not be the slowest in their patching cycle it can in no way shape or form be compared to the additions Trion had made to Rift over the same time frame.

Edit: MMORPG.com Y U NO allow bbcode?

Originally posted by illyana

oh i can come up with a list too:

September > http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/September_2012

October > http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/October_2012

November > http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/November_2012

December > http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/December_2012

January > http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/January_2013

its the quality of the content updates illyana that people are talking about. We are not just bitching to bitch trust me , they do not give you much meat for their updates is all. No one is saying that do not patch fast . I can think of only two patches with actual new content added to the game since release that is quality. The small events are not quality updates they are just fillers. Plus we still to this day do not have a real world vs world update and its now going to be march ? This is lame beyond other games even. TSW new content every single month with major patches. Rift about the same . Hell even wow releases major patches every two months now. You got fractals and world events since release and a new pvp map that was probably done ages ago.

what made you think that fractals and new pvp maps were done ages ago? got some inside info? care to source? you're just speculating and the source of your frustration and disappointment is mere speculation

Fractals is so differently designed than the at-launch dungeons that i highly doubt they were designed at the same time; ANET said that they took what they learned from the way players run dungeons to design fractals properly. they never talked abt or hinted of fractals or ascended items prior to launch