Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ANet misses the scheduled WvW update for Feb

jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Upcoming-WvW-Updates/first#post1385839

ANet will miss the scheduled WvW update for this month and is now targetting 'March'.

Knowing ANet's schedules and how they managed to keep them (not a whole lot so far), I wouldn't put it pass them to miss the March release as well. Or put it in the game at a broken / buggy state and try to patch it later; 'Culling' comes to mind.

Not sure why ANet consistantly bungles the 'WvW' area so much.

Feb is going to be a pretty barren month in terms of new content for GW2 players. Not something I (as a GW2 player) want to hear as I always want to hear 'here's more content / skins / STUFF tomorrow!'

Gdemami -
Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

MMO patches often gets delayed, particularly PvP patches that needs a lot of balancing.

I just dont see the big deal here, if you start a thread every time a games patched gets delayed this forum would be filled just with that.

GW2 needs to focus on the expansion and to get Guild Vs Guild in the game anyways. 

• Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Originally posted by jpnz

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Upcoming-WvW-Updates/first#post1385839

ANet will miss the scheduled WvW update for this month and is now targetting 'March'.

Knowing ANet's schedules and how they managed to keep them (not a whole lot so far), I wouldn't put it pass them to miss the March release as well. Or put it in the game at a broken / buggy state and try to patch it later; 'Culling' comes to mind.

Feb is going to be a pretty barren month in terms of new content for GW2 players. Not something I (as a GW2 player) want to hear as I always want to hear 'here's more content / skins / STUFF tomorrow!'

The Feb patch is going to focus on sPvP content according to Jonathan sharp hes also going to be on the Guildwars2guru livestream tomorrow which will focus on sPvP did you actually think the whole patch was gonna be about WvW and not include PvE and sPvP?

• Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Ignore this
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Loke666

MMO patches often gets delayed, particularly PvP patches that needs a lot of balancing.

I just dont see the big deal here, if you start a thread every time a games patched gets delayed this forum would be filled just with that.

GW2 needs to focus on the expansion and to get Guild Vs Guild in the game anyways. 

I disagree.

WvW has been a really big feature pre-release and an absolutely awful support post-release.

GvG was a 'post release when we get to it' feature rather than a big advertised one.

Considering one of the most advertised feature WvW is suffering as it is, how much support will GvG get once it is release anyway?

'Walk before run' I say. Fix what's broken in the game right now rather than introduce new things and then forget about them.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Full post from Colin:

Hey all,

I wanted to quickly give an update on where we stand with upcoming releases for WvW to help give a sense of where we’re at, and set expectations for the coming months. We’re in the midst of finalizing our February release, which I know had been discussed as a potentially large month for WvW additions.

Because of how broad the WvW game type is, and how large testing for features for this area of the game can be we’re going to hold off on any major WvW updates until March to allow a bit more time to test and polish.

March will see the release of the WuvWuv progression system, new ranks you can earn in WvW visible to all other players, and new DubVDub specific abilities/bonuses that you can earn as you rank up. Our team working on WvW will discuss this system in more detail as that date approaches.

Other major systems currently in the works, which will see updates in the future, include:

- Continual work to re-build the way our game loads models and compresses data, to allow for more visible characters/names in WvW in the long run as we build towards removing as much culling as possible from the game.

- Expanding on reasons to be winning in WvW beyond the total weekly score, providing stronger incentives for specific objectives and additional short term goals/rewards for winning minute-to-minute in the WvW maps.

- Providing additional ways for WvW players to earn various power-progression rewards available across the game currently in PvE for participating in WvW content.

- Exploring ways to help get more people playing WvW, as well as dealing with queue issues that come with those inherent issues of player population and demand.

- And of course additional polish and cleanup features to make the general experience in WuvWuv more fun and exciting.

We’ll discuss timelines and more details for the projects for 2013 listed above as they get closer to being finalized and we can safely say we know for sure when they will be released. We’ve recently expanded the staffing on our WvW team to build up and expand this core part of Gw2 even more, and we look forward to sharing with you more details and features in the coming month as this group polishes and grows the WvW experience.

Let them polish it up more before releasing, I have no issues with that. The reset in WvW scores will have things a bit screwy until then anyhow.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    So many months (since release) without a single content update for WvW and now we see an indefinate push back (again). It's pretty obvious ANet doesn't care for WvW in the least. There is nothing but promises and excuses to keep you entertained until TESO comes out. Hopefully other devs know how to support an RvRvR format
    Originally posted by IPolygon
    So many months (since release) without a single content update for WvW and now we see an indefinate push back (again). It's pretty obvious ANet doesn't care for WvW in the least. There is nothing but promises and excuses to keep you entertained until TESO comes out. Hopefully other devs know how to support an RvRvR format

I guess in your rush to spew more anti-GW2 venom you failed to actually read the post above by Colin which tells a completely different tale.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Originally posted by IPolygon

I could not agree more .The incessant 24/7 point scoring we are supposed to accept as server vs server "warfare" is one of the dumbest ideas I've seen.Boring, repetative,lacking meaning are the mildest descriptors that come to mind.

But endless rat race thats more like a 24/7 basketball game, has been good for one thing.It's has reduced the ques of players(some lasting many hours) wanting to play WvW. People now see it for what it is and isn't and have moved on.Thats why I don't play the game.

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353
    Call the cops!

Eat me!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I just find WvW to be a bit boring... unless you get lucky and join up with a good 4-8 person group and actually find small scale combat with other 4-8 person groups.

It actually got me thinking about ways to counter the "zerg" in OWPVP like this through system design.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Volkon

Full post from Colin:

Hey all,

I wanted to quickly give an update on where we stand with upcoming releases for WvW to help give a sense of where we’re at, and set expectations for the coming months. We’re in the midst of finalizing our February release, which I know had been discussed as a potentially large month for WvW additions.

Because of how broad the WvW game type is, and how large testing for features for this area of the game can be we’re going to hold off on any major WvW updates until March to allow a bit more time to test and polish.

March will see the release of the WuvWuv progression system, new ranks you can earn in WvW visible to all other players, and new DubVDub specific abilities/bonuses that you can earn as you rank up. Our team working on WvW will discuss this system in more detail as that date approaches.

Other major systems currently in the works, which will see updates in the future, include:

- Continual work to re-build the way our game loads models and compresses data, to allow for more visible characters/names in WvW in the long run as we build towards removing as much culling as possible from the game.

- Expanding on reasons to be winning in WvW beyond the total weekly score, providing stronger incentives for specific objectives and additional short term goals/rewards for winning minute-to-minute in the WvW maps.

- Providing additional ways for WvW players to earn various power-progression rewards available across the game currently in PvE for participating in WvW content.

- Exploring ways to help get more people playing WvW, as well as dealing with queue issues that come with those inherent issues of player population and demand.

- And of course additional polish and cleanup features to make the general experience in WuvWuv more fun and exciting.

We’ll discuss timelines and more details for the projects for 2013 listed above as they get closer to being finalized and we can safely say we know for sure when they will be released. We’ve recently expanded the staffing on our WvW team to build up and expand this core part of Gw2 even more, and we look forward to sharing with you more details and features in the coming month as this group polishes and grows the WvW experience.

Let them polish it up more before releasing, I have no issues with that. The reset in WvW scores will have things a bit screwy until then anyhow.

It's obvious that they are trying to make some major changes to the WvW system, and considering the types of changes they are making it's not surprising they have to push their schedule back a bit.

I am all for a delay to ensure the quality of the patch. It needs to be released with very few bugs. The system itself needs to work and be as exploitation free as possible, or else a few idiots are going to ruin things for everyone.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

You have them missing March already?  I can spin too, watch this: "ArenaNet is still putting the last bit of polish on the WvW update and it will be deployed as soon as it's ready!"  See, I can say the same thing without the negativity.  Considering the OP's views regarding GW2, I'm not shocked that this would be painted in a negative light. 

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• xArsonistxxArsonistx Member Posts: 31

such a trash game....

God, I never played a game in which enemys and mobs disappear or don't even render right in front of you. I really just can't wrap my head around this game even making it out of beta just fuckin mind boggling. I have so much hate torwards this game because of culling. Wish I could get my money back. Guess I should look into selling my account.

I never played war or swtor so I didnt know what culling was. Now I know tho and I will never play a game with such a trash feature ever again.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

'The devs never communicate with the playerbase!!'

(devs communicate with the playerbase, and give them a guide to future plans)

'The devs said it would be done by (insert date here)  ZomG its not DONE!'

'They hates (insert playstyle here) us !!!  These guys sux!!'

It just never ends.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Dude, you're seriously complaining about them trying prevent something that you will complain about if it happens? Seriously?  And you also claim that they will release it buggy anyway because that's what they did before when they are actually trying to prevent that? And didn't they already minimize culling with the low-res renders that appear before the proper renders?

This is not a game.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by Marcus-

It just never ends.

Seriously, I'm contemplating shooting my computer screen due to the level of stupidity.

This is not a game.

Originally posted by xArsonistx

such a trash game....

God, I never played a game in which enemys and mobs disappear or don't even render right in front of you. I really just can't wrap my head around this game even making it out of beta just fuckin mind boggling. I have so much hate torwards this game because of culling. Wish I could get my money back. Guess I should look into selling my account.

First: This supposed "game-breaking" culling isn't stopping players from playing.  I spent about six hours doing WvW just yesterday.  It's not as bad as some people attempt to paint it.  The disinformation campaign against GW2 is hilarious.

Second: You've already predictied that culling would take "years" to fix.  If GW2 isn't the game for you, that's fine but mud-slinging isn't really necessary.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Originally posted by Zeroxin
    Originally posted by Marcus-

It just never ends.

Seriously, I'm contemplating shooting my computer screen due to the level of stupidity.

It's not stupidity, since they know exactly what they are doing.  There is a clear and difinitive disinformation campaign being driven by people who simply want the game to fail.  

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

such a trash game....

First: This supposed "game-breaking" culling isn't stopping players from playing.  I spent about six hours doing WvW just yesterday.  It's not as bad as some people attempt to paint it.  The disinformation campaign against GW2 is hilarious.

Second: You've already predictied that culling would take "years" to fix.  If GW2 isn't the game for you, that's fine but mud-slinging isn't really necessary.  

I Actually perdict culling will never be fixed not years...thanks tho.

Mud slinging? no Fact slinging? yes. You really think they will ever fix culling? wow bro wow just wow lol. Its a feature its apart of the game the game would explode without culling.

People who believe this crap perpetuate shit. You allow companys to get away with murder and continual churn out poo to gobble up.

As far as keeping my mouth shut I feel obligated to get the word out and warn anyone away from buying this game. Or else I would just be perpetuating poo just like you. If i can stop one person from buying this game then 10x post are worth it.

Gw2 only servers one purpose right now and thats to show TESO and Camelot unchained how not to abysmally fuck up RvRvR

Do these people even play the game or do they just latch onto the one thing that GW2 fails at?

I rarely see culling in WvW, it wouldnt even be something that happens often enough for me to complain about. I know it exists and they are working on fixing it, but these trolls make it sound like WvW is unplayable.

It is not.

WvW constantly has queues every single night. It is one of the most popular parts of GW2, interest isnt deminishing. It took me 1-3 hours to queue when the game launched, and it still takes me 1-3 hours to queue now.

If culling was such a massive issue, you wouldnt see those numbers. People would just stop playing.

Can't wait til they fix culling so the trolls can go die in a corner somewhere. Although I'm sure they will just switch their focus to ascended items.

Originally posted by evilastro

such a trash game....

Mud slinging? no Fact slinging? yes. You really think they will ever fix culling? wow bro wow just wow lol. Its a feature its apart of the game the game would explode without culling.

People who believe this crap perpetuate shit. You allow companys to get away with murder and continual churn out poo to gobble up.

As far as keeping my mouth shut I feel obligated to get the word out and warn anyone away from buying this game. Or else I would just be perpetuating poo just like you. If i can stop one person from buying this game then 10x post are worth it.

Gw2 only servers one purpose right now and thats to show TESO and Camelot unchained how not to abysmally fuck up RvRvR

Do these people even play the game or do they just latch onto the one thing that GW2 fails at?

I rarely see culling in WvW, it wouldnt even be something that happens often enough for me to complain about. I know it exists and they are working on fixing it, but these trolls make it sound like WvW is unplayable.

It is not.

WvW constantly has queues every single night. It is one of the most popular parts of GW2, interest isnt deminishing. It took me 1-3 hours to queue when the game launched, and it still takes me 1-3 hours to queue now.

If culling was such a massive issue, you wouldnt see those numbers. People would just stop playing.

Can't wait til they fix culling so the trolls can go die in a corner somewhere. Although I'm sure they will just switch their focus to ascended items.

As I said, there are just people who participate in a concerted disinformation campaign against GW2.  They've already stated how they are going to fix it (by replacing the character with a lower-res copy) while it waits to load.  There are just a crap ton of calculations that need to be done to make this happen. 

EDIT: that being said, Culling isn't a "game breaking" issue and there is a terrible exaggeration of instances of it's occurence.  As an avid WvW player, I've come to recognize when it might happen (i.e., when a bazillion players are rushing my team).  But the way some people talk, they have it being worse than SWTOR's Ilum.  The fact is that WvW works very well and is far from broken.  If a player doesn't like it, no problem.  If they don't like the design, that's their opinion.  It's working as intended.

There are PLENTY of studios that have a bad habit of announcing features etc., and never come through with them. Anet isn't one of those studios.  If a player doesn't like GW2, that's perfectly OK! There are plenty of other games to play, but to keep calling rumors and lies "facts" is nothng more than misinformation at best, and slander at worst.

such a trash game....

It is not.

Yes I have 40k wvw kills I've been on nearly every #1 server since launch. I think my guilds record in WvW before I quit the game was 60-1? lol. Guess what guild I was in. anywho. You tell me who has more experience with wvw's lulz.

Lets debunk some things here WvW has ques on maybe 3-4 servers in all of NA and thats only during the primetime and maybe the top 3 servers hold ques all week once again only during primetime. Anet recently lowered the map caps to what 50-70 players on the BL's Maybe 100 on EB?  Where are all these players you speak of? Lets do some real fun math

being nice lets say 6 servers take wvw seriously which its prolly only 3 but hey im being nice. lets say 500 people per server for alls bls and EB?? being nice again. thats only 3k players doing wvw every night buddie in all of NA.

If i were to ask you tho 100k people are wvwing....lol.

I guess we prolly have a bit of a different definition when it comes to what is considered successful.

Also culling will never be fixed period never happening plz stop they have even admitted to as much themselves...I wish I could find the quote but it was awhile ago.

such a trash game....

It is not.

Yes I have 40k wvw kills I've been on nearly every #1 server since launch. I think my guilds record in WvW before I quit the game was 60-1? lol. Guess what guild I was in. anywho. You tell me who has more experience with wvw's lulz.

Lets debunk some things here WvW has ques on maybe 3-4 servers in all of NA and thats only during the primetime and maybe the top 3 servers hold ques all week once again only during primetime. Anet recently lowered the map caps to what 50-70 players on the BL's Maybe 100 on EB?  Where are all these players you speak of? Lets do some real fun math

being nice lets say 6 servers take wvw seriously which its prolly only 3 but hey im being nice. lets say 500 people per server for alls bls and EB?? being nice again. thats only 3k players doing wvw every night buddie in all of NA.

I guess we prolly have a bit of a different definition when it comes to what is considered successful.

Also culling will never be fixed period never happening plz stop.

Why don't you stop stating your negative opinion as fact.  You don't like the game, no problem.  You claim that you've played a bazillion hours in the top guild on the top servers on a game you clearly hate.  Your opinion is your opinion, but you're not stating facts.  It doesn't matter how many hours you've been playing the awful game, it doesn't make your opinions factual.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

such a trash game....

Culling seems to have gotten a lot better for me recently, to the point i'm no longer overly concerned about it, so progress is definelty being made, and i have hopes it gets even better. People complain they want these top notch graphics, then complain aboul lag/culling in games that jam 100s of people in the same spot, with all the pretty colors etc..   Its a vicous circle in my opinion, and a problem all these RvR games face. 

But i'm sure TESO and Camelot will be different then all the rest...

umm..  Good luck with your crusade!

Also culling will never be fixed period never happening plz stop they have even admitted to as much themselves...I wish I could find the quote but it was awhile ago.

Orly?  How about a screenshot of those WvW kills, 'k? Real easy to get... achievements, WvW, there it is. Oh... what server you on again? Hmm?

Right now, Jade Quarry has WvW queues nearly 24/7 with no-queue times being the rarity. We have an absolute blast playing it. You forget... prime time rotates around the planet with the clock... European  prime time != US East coat prime time. 

As for culling, they're working on removing it completely, so your painfully biased opinion against it is irrelevant.

Oderint, dum metuant.

I wanna throw out there I don't blame Anet.

I believe NCsoft put foruth a very ridgid Min/max for bandwidth restraints on ANet due to the game being b2p. They have eluded to as much in some of the comments they have made. They might very well be doing the best they can within the confines of the parameters they are being given but the parameters are so low that even if they do the best they can NCsoft will never allow enough bandwidth to render more then 20 people on screen.