Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the longest running profitable MMO?

Comments

• sea.shellsea.shell Member Posts: 63

My Vote for Lineage.

UO released on 24 September 1997, (NA) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Online
    Lineage released 1. september 1997, (KR) http://m.lineage.plaync.com/board/free/381926

I don't count the NA release date, because as someone who plays rather on EU servers it's seems dumb to fixate on NA release especially when i measure the MMOs in a global scale. If i would go there, i'd only count games which have specific EU releases with EU hostet servers and then it's neither UO or L1.

But the difference between UO and L1 is, the later still makes money AND still gets real updates.

Playing: EVE Online
    Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
    WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

• OrenshiiOrenshii Member Posts: 61

BaramTK, not to be confused with nexustk. Which some wanabe annonymous dork hanging around this

site got his info wrong on another post.

BaramTK went gold in 1996. been going since, strong. which was the product of nexon korea.

not nexon north america which created nexustk. which went gold in 1997, almost 2 years after the

orignal project Baram.

But there are games like meridian thats been around a alongtime also.

But then again i just posted on a topic filled with "statistics" LMAO!!

who cares which game has been around the longest or made the most money.

Bounce

*jumps on a pogo stick*

Jump bounce.

Look @ me!!!               that is seriously how view most of the post on this site.

O

Destiny has cheated me
    By forcing me to decide upon
    The woman that I idolise
    Or the hands of an automaton

Without these hands I can't complete
    The opera that was captivating her
    But if I keep them, and she marries him
    Then he probably won't want me dating her

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    SADLY longets running and most profit would be World of Warcraft HANDS DOWN!....what others tell u is rubbish...

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    It is lineage, like a poster above me said it came before UO in korea and makes millions.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Irondust
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

If you are talking about "really profitable" that's even worse - because as I've mentioned repeatedly Lineage is unlikely to ever beat WoW, even if you give Lineage 5 extra years and Wow dies now (of course UO is not in the equation in this instance).

You are still not comprehending the mathematical part of this dilemma.

We have different meanings of "really profitable". I mean "really profitable" in a way that game earns more money, than needed to keep servers up, make updates, new content and tech support. You are said than "really profitable" is "most prifitable in world", which is not true. 

And I'm not talking about mathematics, I'm talking about which game can be considered "profitable" or "not-profitable". Lineage can be considered profitable, UO and EQ can't, basing of publishers financial reports.

"really profitable" is your own criteria. The OP's assignment of "15% of the books" is equally ridiculous when comparing companies with 8 titles and other companies with 20-50 new titles every year for over 15 years.

"What's the longest running profitable MMO?"  The answer, by any measure, is Ultima Online. Had the question been "What's the most profitable MMO of the MMOs that have been around for over a decade?" the answer most likely would have been Lineage.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by strykr619
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

Yet they shut down their NA servers? Sorry but Lineage can't be counted if they had to cut it back due to lack of players. If you want to see a game with little overhead still turning over a good profit look at Everquest. 100k players still 14 years later.   

Does Everquest have servers in Korea? If not, I don't think it counts either. /sarcasm

Ofcourse its Lineage.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Definitely Lineage 1. It still makes 20-30% of NCSofts profit after 15 years.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

"What's the longest running profitable MMO?"  The answer, by any measure, is Ultima Online. Had the question been "What's the most profitable MMO of the MMOs that have been around for over a decade?" the answer most likely would have been Lineage 2.

Lineage 2 isnt profitable. Lineage 1 is.

Originally posted by evilastro

"What's the longest running profitable MMO?"  The answer, by any measure, is Ultima Online. Had the question been "What's the most profitable MMO of the MMOs that have been around for over a decade?" the answer most likely would have been Lineage 2.

Lineage 2 isnt profitable. Lineage 1 is.

My mistake. I have L2 on the brain today.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

MMORPG.COM

Home to armchar finiance predicitions!...with absolutely no sources or facts to back up any shit!

Remind me how many of you invest?

I live to go faster...or die trying.
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Definitely Lineage 1. It still makes 20-30% of NCSofts profit after 15 years.

Percent of profit is irrelevant when comparing this with this.

To clarify, if one company has 100 titles that make 200k each, then a 200k ttile makes up 1%

If another company has 5 titles that make 50k each, then a 50k title makes up 20%.

It's good marketing math for the 5 title company, but not real math for anything else.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

It's gotta be pretty close between UO and Lineage

Lineage only managed to pull in 1.3billion lifetime. NA servers were actually shutdown due to the game being unprofitable in 2011. 

Sadly we don't have figures for UO. But box sales + expansions + cash shop sales + subscription + merchandise for 16 years should put them pretty close if nothing else. 

Originally posted by Lienhart

MMORPG.COM

Home to armchar finiance predicitions!...with absolutely no sources or facts to back up any shit!

Remind me how many of you invest?

I do. I was also programmer and tech support rep for Microstar's Indigo Investment Software, an end-of-day stock analysis and signal generation program. That said, I do get your point, though. :)

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

It's gotta be pretty close between UO and Lineage

Lineage only managed to pull in 1.3billion lifetime. NA servers were actually shutdown due to the game being unprofitable in 2011. 

Sadly we don't have figures for UO. But box sales + expansions + cash shop sales + subscription + merchandise for 16 years should put them pretty close if nothing else. 

If nothing else, UO, Lineage, EVE, EQ and WOW (don't shoot me for suggesting that) have proven that if you identify a section of the gaming audience and focus on supporting it, you've got a game world that will stand the test of time.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Gemstone (currently IV) has been around since 1988 and I'm sure it accounts for a healthy portion of Simutronics income... probably because they charge out the ass in monthly subscriptions (anywhere from $15-$40) for what amounts to a game that costs next to nothing to operate.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

If you are talking about "really profitable" that's even worse - because as I've mentioned repeatedly Lineage is unlikely to ever beat WoW, even if you give Lineage 5 extra years and Wow dies now (of course UO is not in the equation in this instance).

We have different meanings of "really profitable". I mean "really profitable" in a way that game earns more money, than needed to keep servers up, make updates, new content and tech support. You are said than "really profitable" is "most prifitable in world", which is not true. 

And I'm not talking about mathematics, I'm talking about which game can be considered "profitable" or "not-profitable". Lineage can be considered profitable, UO and EQ can't, basing of publishers financial reports.

"really profitable" is your own criteria. The OP's assignment of "15% of the books" is equally ridiculous when comparing companies with 8 titles and other companies with 20-50 new titles every year for over 15 years.

"What's the longest running profitable MMO?"  The answer, by any measure, is Ultima Online. Had the question been "What's the most profitable MMO of the MMOs that have been around for over a decade?" the answer most likely would have been Lineage.

Well, if the information provided by a sea.shell is correct, then it really is Lineage 1, by a nose.

UO released on 24 September 1997, (NA) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Online
    Lineage released 1. september 1997, (KR) http://m.lineage.plaync.com/board/free/381926

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Draemos
    Gemstone (currently IV) has been around since 1988 and I'm sure it accounts for a healthy portion of Simutronics income... probably because they charge out the ass in monthly subscriptions (anywhere from $15-$40) for what amounts to a game that costs next to nothing to operate.

I had no clue that was still around. I have to check that out again. Thanks!

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357

I find the definitions being thrown about rather interesting, particularly the % of a company's income without taking into account how many games the company has or how much the company makes overall. The fact that an individual game wouldn't show up on EA's financial report isn't surprising given how many IPs and games they have, most of which would be easily be a large part of the income of the smaller publishing companies in their own right. That fact alone makes this measurement severely flawed.

As for attempting to differeniate between asian and western markets; do you really think the company cares what market their product is succesful in as long it's successful? If it's still making millions of dollars, it's still making millions of dollars, and that is all the initial criteria really asked about, not where it was making it.

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230

longestrunning AND making most money is definately World of Warcraft

anyone who argues different must be a fan of the respective game and good in ignoring facts :)

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

Originally posted by Kyleran

Well, if the information provided by a sea.shell is correct, then it really is Lineage 1, by a nose.

NCSoft puts the commercial launch of Lineage KR in September 1998.

Source: http://global.ncsoft.com/global/aboutus/nchistory.aspx

• MesfenlirMesfenlir Member Posts: 208
    wow
    Originally posted by Mesfenlir
    wow

If the question was "most profitable long-running MMO," that would be the answer, hands down.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by FromHell

Meridian 59

http://www.meridian59.com/

then Ultima Online

http://uo.com/

It depends on how you count.

I would say Lineage since it still rake in plenty of money after 12 years, UO and M59 are still up but I doubt you still can call them "profitable". Lineage on the other hand is still NC softs second most profitable game for 2012 after GW2 (and its most profitable own game).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by angzt

longestrunning AND making most money is definately World of Warcraft

anyone who argues different must be a fan of the respective game and good in ignoring facts :)

The question was "What's the longest running profitable MMO?" not the most profitable long running game.

Wow is from November 2004 and several other games that rake in money still is older, including Eve and Lineage.

• sea.shellsea.shell Member Posts: 63

NCSoft puts the commercial launch of Lineage KR in September 1998.
    Source: http://global.ncsoft.com/global/aboutus/nchistory.aspx

Thank you was looking for something offical, so i probably found reviews about "beta" tests of the service in the korean corner of the internet. Then that makes UO older going by release date.

Playing: EVE Online
    Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
    WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2