Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nerf POE Difficulty?

2»

Comments

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    If you are dying alot, get more life/energy shield nodes. I play hardcore and not dying at all isn't that difficult once you get some experience in building characters and what to watch out for.
  • stygianapothstygianapoth Member UncommonPosts: 185

OP I think you only say this so you can get more views on your monetized videos. You've posted links to your other videos on different parts of the forums. I don't think you really care about the discussion, only come up with controversial topics to try and make money off your videos.

It's getting rather annoying now.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Foncl
    If you are dying alot, get more life/energy shield nodes. I play hardcore and not dying at all isn't that difficult once you get some experience in building characters and what to watch out for.

Yeah, I'm learning that, but it's taken me a lot of hours, and I think I probably have to scrap my first (lv.38) character.  It's not just a steep learning curve, but a long one.  Not a complaint necessarily, but just, I can see why a lot of people might be having similar issues.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by Foncl

Yeah, I'm learning that, but it's taken me a lot of hours, and I think I probably have to scrap my first (lv.38) character.  It's not just a steep learning curve, but a long one.  Not a complaint necessarily, but just, I can see why a lot of people might be having similar issues.

It takes some playtime to learn what you need to do to minimize the risk of dying. Resists are very important in the game, make sure to have good resists, especially on later difficulties, you can get one-shot by nasty mobs otherwise. If you use life then always have atleast one flask that heals instantly on use(bubbling or seething affix) and preferably one flask that dispels frozen. A granite flask(gives +4000 armour on use) is also nice to have for tough moments so keep an eye out for those.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Its not impossible to do so why nerf it?

If its possible to finish it i dont see a reason to dumb things down like every game. Why does everything need to be easy in this world of laziness.  People really feel satisfied if their character takes no damage, does a shitload of damage himself and makes them all feel powerfull?:P

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

I was lvl 73 in the hardcore league a couple months ago, and I never felt the game was ever to difficult that I couldn't cope with it some way.  It was awhile ago so I'm not to sure how much has changed in difficulty manner, but It's hard to imagine the game being to difficult.

There were some places were transitions were rough between zones because of level difference and adapting to new mob mechanics I remember, but maybe because I played hardcore I always approched everything slowly and safely.  All the top 10 guys in the ranking I played with never had any trouble either. 

If you're honestly having trouble in this game then you probably jacked up your build bad.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Oh hell no ...... if your cryin nerf then you need try a different play style.  I'm level 28 and in the last stages of act 2.  Yeah, I know that's bad ..... the reason is I havn't spent any of my passive skill points.  Level 28 and 29 skill points left to spend.  Should give it a try, it's rough killing level 22/23 monsters at level 28 with all your skill points.

Point I'm getting at is the game is fine with the current difficuly (as the OP video said.)  If your having trouble, you need to try something different or level up some more.  A nerf is not the answer, I happen to like it being difficult.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Don't nerf the difficulty, please. Pretty tired of casual buttonmashing grinders.

Give us a run for our money, make us earn our trophies. I love the difficulty as it is, it's just right and cool, and it's nothing extremelly stupid like Diablo3 Inferno was originally. Please allow us to palate this great game and get the full experience of it while progressing through it with skill and mind.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    I am personally just playing a little bit... because the game is too easy. I am waiting for Ironman to start, so that I can put more time into playing.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Vannor

even glass cannons shouldn't just get randomly insta-killed.

Of course they should.. that's where the name comes from.

Anyway, the answer is don't go glass cannon.

That right there is exactly the problem.  When the answer is don't even try to play that role, I think there's a balance issue.  

Glass cannons should be fragile, but that doesn't mean they should be one-shotted that often, or even ever.  They should die quickly, yeah of course.  Die instantly, no.  Not IMHO.

I get what you are saying but the passive skill tree is so flexible that you can easily go 80% glass cannon and get a few armor, energy shield, evasion, all resist and/or health nodes here and there. I'd say that is still a glass cannon, high DPS and lower tankyness than other builds. It's a game where you can make bad builds. It's not a balance issue, it's a build issue.

Other games, like most MMOs, give all classes the basic amount of defence you need, you have no control over it. The only difference here is that you have to choose those defences yourself. Specifically which type you're are going for, because the game doesn't automatically know which type of armor you have chosen to wear or what stats you will choose on your items. That type of control is one of the main reasons the game is so good. You get enough skill points and the tree is laid out in such a way that makes it completely possible to make a extremely damaging build, whilst getting the basic defences you need as well. Don't think that not going 100% damage nodes will mean you have low DPS, it doesn't, full DPS means you will have over the top DPS.. more than you will ever need. You'll then be gimped, the real kind of gimped.. the kind of gimped that has been lost in most modern games. Like if you could make a warrior in Baldur's Gate with 1 constitution from the start, they'd be useless (they put the minimum of 8 in there so that people couldn't do that). PoE just doesn't have the minimums in there, you have to decide what it is. Full control. You can even do crazy things like get Chaos Inoculation and Eldritch Battery together in the passive tree.. which would leave you with 1 Health and 0 Energy Shield... totally useless combination, the most glass cannon you can be, but you can do it.

When you have this much control over your build; full control. You are the only one that can decide what you need as a minimum to survive. You have to, the game 'can't' do it for you. They'd have to remove some of our customization to do it.

Glass cannon is a trinity role anyway and relys on group composition to perform well. This isn't an MMO or a trinity game. If you had zero defences in any stat based game you would be useless against bosses without help from others, like a tank.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607
    I'd say anyone who wants this game nerfed is just playing the wrong game. It's okay. It happens.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

Originally posted by Vannor

I get what you are saying but the passive skill tree is so flexible that you can easily go 80% glass cannon and get a few armor, energy shield, evasion, all resist and/or health nodes here and there. I'd say that is still a glass cannon, high DPS and lower tankyness than other builds. It's a game where you can make bad builds. It's not a balance issue, it's a build issue.

Other games, like most MMOs, give all classes the basic amount of defence you need, you have no control over it. The only difference here is that you have to choose those defences yourself. Specifically which type you're are going for, because the game doesn't automatically know which type of armor you have chosen to wear or what stats you will choose on your items. That type of control is one of the main reasons the game is so good. You get enough skill points and the tree is laid out in such a way that makes it completely possible to make a extremely damaging build, whilst getting the basic defences you need as well. Don't think that not going 100% damage nodes will mean you have low DPS, it doesn't, full DPS means you will have over the top DPS.. more than you will ever need. You'll then be gimped, the real kind of gimped.. the kind of gimped that has been lost in most modern games. Like if you could make a warrior in Baldur's Gate with 1 constitution from the start, they'd be useless (they put the minimum of 8 in there so that people couldn't do that). PoE just doesn't have the minimums in there, you have to decide what it is. Full control. You can even do crazy things like get Chaos Inoculation and Eldritch Battery together in the passive tree.. which would leave you with 1 Health and 0 Energy Shield... totally useless combination, the most glass cannon you can be, but you can do it.

When you have this much control over your build; full control. You are the only one that can decide what you need as a minimum to survive. You have to, the game 'can't' do it for you. They'd have to remove some of our customization to do it.

Glass cannon is a trinity role anyway and relys on group composition to perform well. This isn't an MMO or a trinity game. If you had zero defences in any stat based game you would be useless against bosses without help from others, like a tank.

I totally agree with what you're saying, and think all that flexibility is a huge part of what I'm enjoying about the game.  The more I think about it, the more it seems like it's just a matter of some balance issues, at least in my case.  I didn't neglect defense entirely, but most of the points I put into it, went into evasion and armor, because that's what was closest to my corner of the skill map.  From what I can tell though,  I'd have done a lot better to go a bit more out of the way, to get those points into health and energy shield, instead.  

I'm still learning, and could still be way off about this, but it seems like damage mitigation isn't nearly as effective as simply having a huge hit point pool.  I think that could stand to be adjusted, so that they're a little more equal in effectiveness.  It's one thing, if people are neglecting defense entirely, but another if they just wasted points on defenses that don't really work.   I'm all for flexibility, but think some base elements therein could be better balanced.

I think it could be exactly that sort of balance issue that leads some people to feel the game is just plain old too damn hard. 

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by moosecatlol

I enjoy the difficulty of the game, I've never been stone-walled, but I was never bored. Granted that was probably due to my style of play, where if I were to get hit I would die.

The only thing I didn't enjoy was how overpowered Multiple Projectile gems are, they literally triple your dps for a 50% increase in mana cost.

Currently I'm awaiting new content while playing "Space Ninjas Online" (Warframe)

didnt the game come out last week?

Path of Exile is rumored to have a planned 10 acts, however only 3 of them have been fully developed. This means we only have about 30% of the games story content. Maps didn't quite satisfy me, if anything the disconnecting would cause frustration when having farmed up a rather impressive map, only to waste it.

As far as Warframe is concerned I think I'm as progressed as I would like to be, maxed out the frame I want, awaiting one more catalyst for my pistol, and I'll have a maxxed weapon load out as well. Not enjoying the "Randomness" of Alerts, but that's a different story for a different thread.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I'm still learning, and could still be way off about this, but it seems like damage mitigation isn't nearly as effective as simply having a huge hit point pool.

Well, high elemental resistences are hard to come by pre-40 and the only area which really excels in it is the Templar's, there's others dotted around of course. Armor rating only affects pyhsical damage.. which a lot of people overlook as well (only about 20% of the enemies in the game do physical damage as their primary damage type). Then there is Chaos damage.. which is intentionally there to mess you up, it's a killer. Every melee should have a decent shield in their second set of equipment in case they come up against a lot of chaos damage. But the devs have stated that it's on purpose, so that there's something for most builds to be extremely afraid of. It's hard to get good chaos resist levels, almost impossible without endgame unique items. Chaos Inoculation is popular with high energy shield builds level 50-75 because of this. Once they come across the endgame items that have more chaos resist they refund Chaos Inoculation.

So, yeh, high health is probably better for.. I'd estimate.. levels 1-35 because you can't get your block, evade or resistences high enough for them to make a real impact. Energy shield is also hard to get good at low level because the bonus works on a percentage.. that bonus works out much much higher when you have the higher level gear with higher base energy shield, same for armor and evade. Whereas, elemental resistences are a direct damage reduction; 10% fire resistence is a full 10% damage reducion from that type.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by moosecatlol

Path of Exile is rumored to have a planned 10 acts, however only 3 of them have been fully developed. 

How substantial is that rumor?  Are we talking about six other acts, already in various states of completion, or more like one of those dev pipe dreams, for where their game will be 10 years from now?

I'd love to see more acts, I thought maybe one more might be coming.. but six more?  Just seems a little hard to believe, given how long its taken them to put out just three.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    It's pretty typical now days to blame the game when you fail, not how you play. The people saying it too hard are obviously great at everything and don't need to learn or adjust what they're doing. Thier moms told them they are special and special people don't fail. They have a wall of participation ribons to prove it.
  • UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    Generally no I think its almost perfect the way it is.  Some things in the game are super unforgiving though which is pretty lame (like faster than you can react -->dead).  Maybe a few things need to be tweaked so that you don't get one shotted.  I'm not talking about elemental damage either per say, if your fighting Mervil without cold resistance or Piety w/o electrical your just dumb.
  • VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Too hard? We are super heroes.. Been in a party, even at cruel difficulty? You wipe the floor with enemies.. People have figured out some of the most outrageous builds that are simply destroyers of life in 360 degrees.. if they make it any easier it would probably turn more people off than it would turn on..

Plus, even though I am getting my ass KICKED in Act 2 cruel, I enjoy the sense of accomplishment I get from leveling up or even beating a dungeon solo.. This is looking to be a long ride for me and I am getting that same sense of accomplishment I got from my days in EQ..

Lv. 45 and still looking to continue flying..

Btw: PORTALS are your friend!!! GET THE GEM (keep in your inv, to switch in at any time and make a portal in dunegons) or buy plenty of scrolls.. You do NOT want to die in Lunaris 3 at the final boss... ... ..... .....

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

This game is challenging. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be enjoying ourselves so much :D I am on Act 3 merciless now. I soloed everything but 1 of the bandits on cruel. The last act 3 boss was actually easier solo then in a party. I died once fighting it solo and then had to go back to click the thing and just joined a group and helped them. We died like 8 times each and just lold the entire time. I wasn't upset either, it was hilarious. I usually lead off throwing skelletons at the edges of maps. if the skellys move in any direction i know mobs are there. I then throw a fireball-totem down behind my zombie. then raid down firestorm. Its all about strategy. At the same time I have 4 zombies so i just try to avoid ALL dmg always. If i walk into a group of elemental range mobs. It appears im one shotted. Just instant 0 hp. Those r the more sad moments but they arent that often. I also dont push content if im about to level. Just go to the ledge or something and finish the xp off. Its the easiest map to xp on imo. I am lvl 63 and the lvl 53 ledge gave me an entire lvl tonight while lazy mode farming hehe.

Challenge is gud. Me likey challenge.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    It always turns out to be a failure if companies adjust their difficulty to the players instad of the game. Hope they dont ruin it at PoE :P
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

I had fun in closed beta with a few 70+ chars, but with the diff now I just don't have fun anymore. I quit today when my third build failed at late 50ies, going to be awhile before I spend time in PoE again, just sick of it at the moment.

Abandoned chars (no I am not a noob): Summoner lvl 50, kripps wand build lvl 57, dual ice spear totems (gmp) lvl 58.