Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not a very fun game

13»

Comments

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    While I played alot less then you (about 45 mins total) I know from the get go whether or not a game is for me and this wasn't for me.  I agree with almost all your sentiments exactly.  The gameplay was my biggest turn off, it just isn't as exciting as I like it to be.

I can´t take any1s opinion on a MMO serious, when they say they played it 45 minutes total and then made up their mind. What MMO out there is as shallow as showing you how the game is in less then 45 minutes? None... And AoW is one of those gems that grows on you the more you play it, and the more you find out. Me and my buddy was going " Wtf? These quest is so boring and standard etc", but then the game opened up like a flower and showed us all it´s beauty from PVP, crafting, bounty system, clan wars etc.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Wtf is going on here!? I'm agreeing with a Lahuzer post!

What's next, a cure for cancer?
  • GrableGrable Member UncommonPosts: 66

Oh look, another "review" based on the horribad few hour tutorial (every AoW player agrees it's the worst part of the game, along with the translations) that you sadly need to mine through to get to the gold that is other features in the game

This worries me a bit though. As seen a lot of players get the idea that you'll be doing those boring quests all the time in this game... I know it's stupid to judge the game so fast, but sadly people do it. This tutorial part of the game could really really hurt the game's pop, or is already hurting it.

Also, your comments on combat are lulzy. It's understandable because you're new to the game, but saying it's just spamming attacks is absolutely false. Spamming attacks gets you killed. It also gives a false impression that it's clunky until you understand and get the right feel for it. Also a protip: rebind the block key to E or something.

Originally posted by Biskop
    Wtf is going on here!? I'm agreeing with a Lahuzer post!

What's next, a cure for cancer?

Roflmao.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    While I played alot less then you (about 45 mins total) I know from the get go whether or not a game is for me and this wasn't for me.  I agree with almost all your sentiments exactly.  The gameplay was my biggest turn off, it just isn't as exciting as I like it to be.

I can´t take any1s opinion on a MMO serious, when they say they played it 45 minutes total and then made up their mind. What MMO out there is as shallow as showing you how the game is in less then 45 minutes? None... And AoW is one of those gems that grows on you the more you play it, and the more you find out. Me and my buddy was going " Wtf? These quest is so boring and standard etc", but then the game opened up like a flower and showed us all it´s beauty from PVP, crafting, bounty system, clan wars etc.

These snap judgements are probably why you see some awesome starting zones in games that taper off into mediocre.

Originally posted by GrayKodiak
    Originally posted by Lahuzer

These snap judgements are probably why you see some awesome starting zones in games that taper off into mediocre.

Your most def. right about that. But either way. You can never judge a MMO on 45 minutes of gameplay. You've barely scratched the surface of the game during that time.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Finally got around to trying this, and.. same experience as the OP.  Gave it a few hours.  Seems like they have a lot of good ideas, but really awful implementation.  

Right at the top of that list is the combat.  Unlike the OP, I don't even want to hear about the PvP, really.  I'm not against PvP, but I'm primarily a PvE'r, and if the PvE is this bad, I don't care how good the PvP is.  So that said, the PvE combat.. I can't imagine how it gets any better, later on.  It's just so clunky and disjointed.  Plus, it seems utterly pointless.  I'm not sure why they even have themepark style mobs milling around in fields, as if waiting to be farmed, when there's nothing to farm them for.

There's a lot I didn't understand, and I want to be open minded, but the vibe I'm getting, now that I have some context to put it in, is that this is really a PvP game.  I already knew it had a PvP element, but I had no idea that it was the main appeal of the game.  Maybe even the only major appeal of the game, in that if you don't get into the PvP, the rest of it won't really stand on its own.  Is that fairly accurate?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by Vhaln

Finally got around to trying this, and.. same experience as the OP.  Gave it a few hours.  Seems like they have a lot of good ideas, but really awful implementation.  

Right at the top of that list is the combat.  Unlike the OP, I don't even want to hear about the PvP, really.  I'm not against PvP, but I'm primarily a PvE'r, and if the PvE is this bad, I don't care how good the PvP is.  So that said, the PvE combat.. I can't imagine how it gets any better, later on.  It's just so clunky and disjointed.  Plus, it seems utterly pointless.  I'm not sure why they even have themepark style mobs milling around in fields, as if waiting to be farmed, when there's nothing to farm them for.

There's a lot I didn't understand, and I want to be open minded, but the vibe I'm getting, now that I have some context to put it in, is that this is really a PvP game.  I already knew it had a PvP element, but I had no idea that it was the main appeal of the game.  Maybe even the only major appeal of the game, in that if you don't get into the PvP, the rest of it won't really stand on its own.  Is that fairly accurate?

There are dungeon guilds and pve guilds, but I would say if you wish to totally avoid the pvp and the crafting then there is not a lot of reason to come bang you head against this particular wall, Neverwinter looks like a good PvE game coming out soon.

PvE in this game, other than just killing a random mob for no reason, is mostly done in the challanges, where you go to a npc martial arts family and challange them in a mini instance kind of phased event, or the forbidden instances...which are what you would call a dungeon in most other games of which there are a few but we have only access to two at the moment. Though those two already have 6 and 12 man common hard and hell modes. Both of those two events have very real purpose of raising your reputation and getting the good loot drops (skills, recipies, jackdaw potions) but your random mob..no you will not be grinding random mobs.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

There are dungeon guilds and pve guilds, but I would say if you wish to totally avoid the pvp and the crafting then there is not a lot of reason to come bang you head against this particular wall, Neverwinter looks like a good PvE game coming out soon.

PvE in this game, other than just killing a random mob for no reason, is mostly done in the challanges, where you go to a npc martial arts family and challange them in a mini instance kind of phased event, or the forbidden instances...which are what you would call a dungeon in most other games of which there are a few but we have only access to two at the moment. Though those two already have 6 and 12 man common hard and hell modes. Both of those two events have very real purpose of raising your reputation and getting the good loot drops (skills, recipies, jackdaw potions) but your random mob..no you will not be grinding random mobs.

Ok, the crafting then - I didn't experience any of that really, aside from a little fishing.  Tried learning music too, but couldn't figure out how to do anything with that.  What sorts of things can players craft?  What's the purpose of crafting, in this game?  Is it just to make money, or is it where the best equipment comes from, and that sort of thing?

edit: what would be a good quick way to get started with that, to check it out for myself?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• django-djangodjango-django Member Posts: 115

Ok, the crafting then - I didn't experience any of that really, aside from a little fishing.  What sorts of things can players craft?  What's the purpose of crafting, in this game?  Is it just to make money, or is it where the best equipment comes from, and that sort of thing?

edit: what would be a good quick way to get started with that, to check it out for myself?

The best equipment will come from players, you'll find the best recipes though in dungeons and sold through the market.

You can craft anything from armour, weapons, experience conversion pills, poison, jewellery, food, HP/MP potions, stat raising potions and more.

Of course you can only have one of these crafting options, and all the gathering skills.

You get a max amount of exp you can gain for life skills, so you can't just grind out as many levels as possible, but you can also participate in a mini game to gain life experience and skip having to craft a million noob swords or daggers to raise said level.

As long as you long into your character every day your life experience cap raises, say you log into the game, the day rolls over and you gain 950 experience as your daily cap, if you log off and log back on without touching your crafting and the day rolls over again you will have 1900. So the best option is as soon as you start playing your toon, read as much as you can about the life skills and choose one to your benefit, you can craft later on in the game and all you will have to do is grind out the crafting mini game in order to gain all the experience for the days you didn't craft.

Hope that wasn't too confusing lol.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Ok, the crafting then - I didn't experience any of that really, aside from a little fishing.  Tried learning music too, but couldn't figure out how to do anything with that.  What sorts of things can players craft?  What's the purpose of crafting, in this game?  Is it just to make money, or is it where the best equipment comes from, and that sort of thing?

Almost everything in the game is player crafted, just like EVE online.  Recipes drop in instances but gear really doesn't at least not that i have seen.  I've been playing for over a month and never seen any gear drop except some real newbie stuff found in treasure chests.  Also, gear is not permanent.  All gear has a durability stat that very slowly goes down.  The gear can be repaired but it permanently loses max durability.  That means that eventually your gear will be destroyed.  This keeps crafting armor and weapons more relevant than most mmorpgs.   The degradation is very slow, i have been using the same gear for a month and it is at half durability without having to repair yet.  The top tier gear can't be repaired at all which makes it wrecked much faster. 

In addition to weapons and armor players can craft food (which you need to eat or you will starve to death and it also can provide nice buffs/heals), pills to increase xp gain and provide buffs, upgrades for enchanting gear, components for crafting gear, jewelry, poison to buff/debuff/enchant, and pretty much everything else in game.  Drops are in the form of recipes and mats, all useful items are player crafted for the most part. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Indeed arguing over whether x is good or not probably isn't going to improve your mood towards the game, but the big square comment was just starting to get on my nerves. If you are looking for a PvE experience, especially one with good PvE grinding mechanics like terra or TSW (I like signet farming in tsw it is ok to pass time), this isn't going to do anything for you period.

There are some ok boss fights in the instances on hard mode, as in they can be a challange but you would probably not have fun getting to the point where a group would accept you if you didn't enjoy anything but PvE so it is a moot point.

Good to hear from someone knowledgeable about the game.  You have confirmed my biggest fears with the game.  I think I'm just too PvE centered to enjoy this game.  I rarely feel like PvPing ( I don't feel like being pissed off after a long day which PvP tends to do) and thus I don't think this game would be worth it for a PvE focused gamer.

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292
    @BigHatLogan wait till durability drop low or to 0 then repair with tradeable silver
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by BigHatLogan

Almost everything in the game is player crafted, just like EVE online. 

To avoid confusion, while it is true that most items are player crafted in both games, AoW crafting is nothing like EVE Online.

EVE Online represents robust complex system based on mass production, AoW on the other hand is standard themepark RNG and drop based crafting.

Originally posted by Mardukk

Indeed arguing over whether x is good or not probably isn't going to improve your mood towards the game, but the big square comment was just starting to get on my nerves. If you are looking for a PvE experience, especially one with good PvE grinding mechanics like terra or TSW (I like signet farming in tsw it is ok to pass time), this isn't going to do anything for you period.

There are some ok boss fights in the instances on hard mode, as in they can be a challange but you would probably not have fun getting to the point where a group would accept you if you didn't enjoy anything but PvE so it is a moot point.

Good to hear from someone knowledgeable about the game.  You have confirmed my biggest fears with the game.  I think I'm just too PvE centered to enjoy this game.  I rarely feel like PvPing ( I don't feel like being pissed off after a long day which PvP tends to do) and thus I don't think this game would be worth it for a PvE focused gamer.

Don't get me wrong the dungeon pve is fun, especially if you miss that old world wow two+ hour long raids, but as far as go to a new zone and do quest and fight new things...not so much, I view mobs as sources of resources for hunters and not much else.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by BigHatLogan

Almost everything in the game is player crafted, just like EVE online. 

To avoid confusion, while it is true that most items are player crafted in both games, AoW crafting is nothing like EVE Online.

EVE Online represents robust complex system based on mass production, AoW on the other hand is standard themepark RNG and drop based crafting.

I disagree. WoW, RIFT, SWTOR, TSW, GW2 crafting aren't even in the same league. Crafting is at the heart of this game like EVE. It's more of a "unique handcrafted" type feel though.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Originally posted by bcbully

I disagree.

That is within your right but that does not change the fact that crafting system is pretty much the same as in games you listed.

I disagree.

That is within your right but that does not change the fact that crafting system is pretty much the same as in games you listed.

Way more moving interconnected pieces in AoW.  In those games I listed above, a tailor/blacksmith/alchemist only needs himself and a drop. On top of that a low level crafter, low level mats and recipies are useless. 

In AoW each profession needs other professions , low level crafters can and do earn decent incomes. Your recipes grow with you skill, there are no usless recipes only common to rare. This makes each crafter unique.  Plus there are many more professions. I don't think there are "drop materials" either it's all created by players.

The professions are mini games aswell. I'm a top 10 ranked calligrapher. I write better than most. I write faster and more efficiantly because I'm good at it. 

About the only things AoW has in common with those above is the base UI (AoW crafting UI does much more), and that you put stuff together .

In those games I listed above, a tailor/blacksmith/alchemist only needs himself and a drop.

Untrue.

However, it is just a minor difference how pretty much same concept is implemented.

In those games I listed above, a tailor/blacksmith/alchemist only needs himself and a drop.

Untrue.

However, it is just a minor difference how pretty much same concept is implemented.

That is true. Why edit my statements? Why not just quote them? 

I'm growing silk worms, from silk worm larva at silk worm harvesting stands for silk right now btw. I had to go get something to kill the bugs. The bugs killed the worms in two of my stands. I'm still new to this.

I'm haversting the silk from this stand. There are only so many stands in am area.

1. Buy larva

2. Buy medicine

3. Buy food

4. Find some stands

5. Lay the larve

6. Feed or medicate or both when needed as they grow.

7. Harvest silk worms

You have to do it efficiantly or some will die if you take too long. There are other types of worms that you need to spin a different type of silk to combine into something workable by a Tailor. 

The biggest differences, and what keeps many other games from being crafter capable games, is the level lock associated with crafting that so many games feel the need to implement. That is if you want to craft burning crusades level stuff in wow you need to be at a level to do burning crusades...they are tied into each other the crafting and the "Adventuring"

Major difference here.

1) In some games your level is tied to your crafting ability, therefore there is no such thing as a guild "Tailor" who just tailors because such a person by virtue of the system HAS to also adventure and fight. In wushu you can tailor away to your hearts content being just as good as any other tailor.

2) BoP, in some games the best crafted gear is bind on pickup meaning only a crafter can use it, this is why you take up crafting to improve your own character more than to make things for others. In wushu all items that are crafted are something you can sell.

3) In all the other examples BC listed better gear is available from other sources (raids, dungeons, quests, tokens) not so in Wushu every single viable piece of gear, and most consumables are player crafted. You can by some cheap starter weapon or some weak wine and hp recovery herbs from npc's...but that is it. This is needed for a crafting economy vs a dungeon reselling economy.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

Videos looked dry and cheap.

Can't say this one interested me either.