Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Divinity's Reach should have been Lions Arch

PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
Anyone agree with this? Have you walked through the city? It is such an epic city, in my opinion one of the best cities every created in a game, but it just sits there and basically goes to waste. I wish it would have been the go to city like Lions Arch. What do you think?

Comments

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505
    I agree that one of the most beautifully designed cities in an MMORPG goes to waste but I think the problem is the quick travel and the fact that their is no reason to go back to any race capital after you complete the starter quests. It would be great if they could find a use for these areas.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC
    Anyone agree with this? Have you walked through the city? It is such an epic city, in my opinion one of the best cities every created in a game, but it just sits there and basically goes to waste. I wish it would have been the go to city like Lions Arch. What do you think?

To me, Lion's Arch has always seemed separate from the rest of the world. A sort of neutral middle ground with little to no relativity in regards to the ongoing conflicts of the world.

All it's ever been to me was a place to hop through portals to other areas, and one time I went to see Tixx the Toymaker or whatever. :p

Honestly, I could have done without it entirely and just had portals connecting all race cities in each race city. But if you're talking about switching Divinity's Reach with Lion's Arch.... well, yes, Divinity's Reach is a better city, in my opinion, but the Human city would absolutely SUCK as Lion's Arch, so... meh. I'd say no.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I'll go for that.  Divinity's reach is GORGEOUS.  It is sad that they sorta made it too large plus it is boring nothing to do in it and no reason for people to be in it.  The idea of it is very pretty though.  LA is sorta fugly but I guess it is supposed to be a cultural hodge-pog of sorts.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Please refer to my post here for an explanation of why the cities are amazing as fuck but don't have anything inside of them. 
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    There are several places within DR that have those mini games that supposed to be in at launch, so in the future we might have a reason to go there when they release the mini games.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by pb1285n
    I agree that one of the most beautifully designed cities in an MMORPG goes to waste but I think the problem is the quick travel and the fact that their is no reason to go back to any race capital after you complete the starter quests. It would be great if they could find a use for these areas.

They should be adding some mini-games and possibly other content to these areas some time. I'm on Tarnished Coast, and well... you may come across a horde of RPers in some cities, and Divinity's Reach has plenty of spots for them.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I'm hoping they build on them and sooner rather than later. Beautiful and boring sums it up well. 

They seem to be designed with far more activites than what launched. They initially boasted over 20 minigames but all we got was kegbrawl. Part of me thinks this is really just a matter of bandwidth, too many tiny instances taking up WvW space.

So yeah, hoping they do minigames and make those jokes we call home instances into something more compelling.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

- A racial skill > teleport to hometown   would increase activity in all racial city's....

- Free (map) teleporting from anywhere int he world to each city would increase the overall activity aswell

Those 2 things would spread the playerbase much better ... It's just that LA has everything going on + free teleport (via pvp map wich i personally always use)

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    ANet should simply add a FREE racial town "recall" with a 15 or 30 minutes cooldown. People mostly go to LA because of the ease of access via the mists. If they had an easy way to go to the racial towns, they would.

I do all my townly needs in LA because i can freely port there from the mists.. they could add a similar gate setup in the mists like how it is in LA giving you access to all cities.. Also more activites in the cities would help as well.. I know they talked about numerous for each town prior to launch but haven't heard about them adding an yet. Cities in this game are really amazing the amount of time it takes to explore them all is just crazy when considering how fast you could get through an entire city in other MMOs

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242
    There are lots of amazing areas in the game, but sadly they are all a waste of development resources because nobody ever uses them! They may as well have skipped the pve and just built the dungeons and pvp side of things!
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

If all gates were from DR it would be fine, it is really a great city that actually looks a bit like a real city (something you rarely if ever see in a MMO) but as long as the gates go to LA there is where the people will be.

I do all my crafting in DR myself though. :)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

It goes to waste because it is a sprawling shithole. "Epic" cities look cool but are useless as central hubs.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I agree with the OP, especially with the center of Divinity Reach. It is the most gorgeous city I have seen. I spent so much time just running around looking at everything. No other area feels quite like that, though they are all very well done in my opinion.

There Is Always Hope!

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    For me, the only other city that garners the same respect as DR is Rata Sum. That place is like a market place full of fun migdets.

This is not a game.