Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Eldevin: Small Beginnings Evolving Into Big Things

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Eldevin is a game that has evolved over its eight years in development from a small browser-based project into a full fledged MMO. We caught up with Andrew Mulholland and John Stewart to find out more about Eldevin. Check it out and then let us know what you think in the comments.

MMORPG: You mention how the world is at war in Eldevin, can you tell us about the factions players can choose from?

John Stewart: When players join the world of Eldevin, it is very much a Kingdom in disarray. In recent years the Kingdom of Eldevin discovered 6 magical spheres which, when brought together, caused disaster for the kingdom as the power of their magic could not be contained. Therefore they were each entrusted to the Champions of the Eldevin Army and taken to the far corners of the known world. Over time these orbs have corrupted the Champion, their armies and even the land itself. Creating 6 distinct factions aligned to each sphere; Fire, Ice, Dark, Light, Blood and Nature. You begin your journey in the Nature realm, which is preparing for War with the Dark Realm, while forging an uneasy alliance with the Light Realm. However as you can expect some of the other realms such as the Blood realm may also be trying to gain a foothold in the struggle for power. 

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Eldevin: Small Beginnings Evolving Into Big Things.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    That looks good. I'll keep an eye on this one.
  • shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186
    I must say this seems very sweet...I want to play it now.

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    I'm just trying to decipher as to whether or not it is a sustainable Runescape alternative or not. :p
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Hmmm, interesting..seems an RPG to have stepped back to RPG roots.....interesting

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• HCS-RadnetoHCS-Radneto Member Posts: 64

Glad to see some interest in all our hard work =)

If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer them!

John Stewart

Currently working around the clock on Eldevin

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    It looks like an interesting hybrid of many gameplay styles.  I want to trapse in your meadows and help liberate your world from evil already.  Can't wait to give it a try.  
  • RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Gives me the impession of an ARPG meets Runscape. That is enough to give it a try if anything.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by FelixMajor
    Hmmm, interesting..seems an RPG to have stepped back to RPG roots.....interesting

Interesting in deed. Will keep my eye on this one.  I saw a video of it on Massively and it looks to be click-to-move.  Hope they offer the opportunity of WASD. Also I have to ask... housing? :-)

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by HCS-Radneto

Glad to see some interest in all our hard work =)

If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer them!

John Stewart

First off, thanks for talking about your game. It seems like a real labor of love and it shows.

How easy/difficult is it, if possible at all, to change talents once chosen?

Originally posted by MaxJac

First off, thanks for talking about your game. It seems like a real labor of love and it shows.

How easy/difficult is it, if possible at all, to change talents once chosen?

Well our skills and talents were one of the things that actually got re-designed and rebuilt from scratch because during the long development we felt they didn't offer enough variety and simply weren't good enough. In our old system we simply had an NPC in a tavern you could go to and spend some gold and you could unlearn your talents and change your character.

I don't think we've finalized how it is going to work in the new system but its definately something that we'll have, but maybe not for the first round of closed beta. As we mentioned we're all big MMO fans, and we're trying to make the best game we can!

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Looks like a Runescape Ultima Online hybrid with updated graphics...looks really fun. I'll give it a shot.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    will there be a wipe after closed beta

• bluezone5bluezone5 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Stupid question, but what language did you use to code?
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    I will try this out. I like a good browser game here n there. :D

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• GrumpyBuddhaGrumpyBuddha Member Posts: 8
    Looking pretty amazing for a browser game.
    Originally posted by bbbb42
    will there be a wipe after closed beta

Yes, I think we plan to have a wipe after the closed beta, but assuming everything goes well the open beta will hopefully not require a wipe before the game goes live. We may however run into some problems as, so unfortunately this is something I can't promise.

• HCS-CowboyHCS-Cowboy Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by bluezone5
    Stupid question, but what language did you use to code?

The whole game is written in Java, actually 100% pure java, down to a mere int[] buffer for the 3d canvas, which was rather painful :). In theory it should work in any browser with the Java 7 runtime installed, though we have a few tweeks to sort out on different OS but it mosty looks like it works on Windows, Mac and Linux ok, at least for now :)

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

The game looks amazing, I'd very much love to give it a try :)

Three simple questions to developers:

1. Would you call your game a themepark or a sandbox?

2. I watched the trailer and liked what I saw but the graphics seemed a bit simplified, even for a browser game. Is there an option to add AA or anything else to make the world and character models smoother?

3. Are you considering "founder package" deals like almost any other new releasing mmorpg does?

Thanks!

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366
    The game looks great and with over 8 years of development. This game will probly be a gem amoung the browser mmorpgs that are currently out.

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• TithenonTithenon Member UncommonPosts: 113
    I'm probably very strange, but I find most people who play MMOs to be unpleasant and ridiculous in their play styles and their thought-processes.  In other words, many MMO players would rather bash their way through everything, and will do so to the continuing detriment of their hit points until their eventual death, leaving me in a lurch almost every time.  This is a sad extension of the World of Warcraft community, based from their game design.  Thus, I tend to play alone, and am very cautious about whom I group with, with this typically being family or friends outside the game.  Therefore, I will likely not be playing this game, as nice as it looks.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    3D graphics with no GPU acceleration makes me worry that you're going to have some rather severe performance problems.  I hope you're really, really good at getting Java to exploit SSE.
  • HCS-CowboyHCS-Cowboy Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    3D graphics with no GPU acceleration makes me worry that you're going to have some rather severe performance problems.  I hope you're really, really good at getting Java to exploit SSE.

I know a few tricks :D

This coming Monday the Eldevin closed beta begins! 

We're super excited that it's finally arrived, and we can't wait for people to join us in Eldevin Kingdom.

Sign up now at http://beta.eldevin.com/ for a chance at getting into the beta!