Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the longest running profitable MMO?

what is it? i mean in the sense that it has a strong showing on the books every quarter, not some "oh we're spending 3600/mo in upkeep and we're making 4100/mo" type deal. something that represents at least 15%(or more) of the parent company's earnings every quarter.

is it Lineage?

Comments

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

what is it? i mean in the sense that it has a strong showing on the books every quarter, not some "oh we're spending 3600/mo in upkeep and we're making 4100/mo" type deal. something that represents at least 15%(or more) of the parent company's earnings every quarter.

is it Lineage?

Impossible to say really...Could be Lineage, Could be Runescape...

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

WoW?

Otherwise maybe Runescape?

• BaxslashBaxslash Member UncommonPosts: 237
    I would have to say Eve Online, they've gone through at least 1 ownership swaps, and, are still going strong.
  • 64faint64faint Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Well one of the oldest mmos is Everquest and it still has strong player base could be that, but definitely WoW is still making money Blizzard did good there
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

UO is still running and still profitable.

Even recently had an expansion I believe.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    did RS ship before Lineage? it's gotta be one of those two. i don't know if UO meets the requirements. i know EQ is doing well but probably not old enough.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    did RS ship before Lineage? it's gotta be one of those two. i don't know if UO meets the requirements. i know EQ is doing well but probably not old enough.

Lineage older than EQ?  I'm surprised.  I always figured LIN as an eastern EQ clone.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Meridian 59

http://www.meridian59.com/

then Ultima Online

http://uo.com/

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Would be UO I think
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by FromHell

Meridian 59

then Ultima Online

But I doubt meridian is actually profitable at this point, they are running purely open source through donations.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

Meridian 59

then Ultima Online

Meridian 59 has had several lengthy shutdowns (longer than 6 months), but I guess that wasn't really specified in the OP's question.

I would say that it disqualifies it from being "the longest running".

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

Originally posted by XAPGames

Lineage older than EQ?  I'm surprised.  I always figured LIN as an eastern EQ clone.

shipped in between UO and EQ. 

FYI, unless UO makes 15% or more of EA's profits i don't think it really qualifies. ganted EA has like 100 IP's.

Originally posted by paulytheb

Meridian 59

then Ultima Online

Meridian 59 has had several lengthy shutdowns (longer than 6 months), but I guess that wasn't really specified in the OP's question.

I would say that it disqualifies it from being "the longest running".

M59 definitely doesn't count. been shut down several times, gone open source too.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    UO I suppose but I think in the minds of many of us it is EQ1 that started the genre.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• IrondustIrondust Member Posts: 29

It is Lineage, started in 1998 and still has millions of players in Korea

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Lineage came out in 98 EQ came out in 99.

Edit. those are US release dates.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

First is Lineage second is Runescape.

Both still make a ton of money.

• ResiaResia Member Posts: 119
    Last i heard EA still said UO is profitable, that was launched in 1997 correct?

"Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better." parrotpholk

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Definitely Lineage 1.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DraucantDraucant Member UncommonPosts: 34
    FFXI should be close to be one of them
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    uo
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Irondust

The problem with those of you who said it is Lineage is, Lineage is NO LONGER running (closed 2011), regardless of how much profits it made.

If it is no longer running, it cannot, at this stage, be claimed to be the "longest running profitable MMO" - since UO has already outlived it in length (because it is still going) and strong sign that WoW will probably also do that.

So at the moment, it is UO - until WoW stacked on enough years to oust UO and everyone else too.

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

The problem with those of you who said it is Lineage is, Lineage is NO LONGER running (closed 2011), regardless of how much profits it made.

If it is no longer running, it cannot, at this stage, be claimed to be the "longest running profitable MMO" - since UO has already outlived it in length (because it is still going) and strong sign that WoW will probably also do that.

So at the moment, it is UO - until WoW stacked on enough years to oust UO and everyone else too.

Lineage is still running in Korea.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

NCSoft closed the US servers since it wasn't profitable there, but it's still running on Korea, and actually if you check their Q4 report, it's reponsible for 24% of their sales for Q4 2012 (second only to GW2's 45%, and higher than AION, Lineage 2 and blade and soul combined), and the sales numbers are almost twice as much compared to both Q3 2012 and Q4 2011.... so it's not only still profitable after all this time, it's actually growing.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

NCSoft closed the US servers since it wasn't profitable there, but it's still running on Korea, and actually if you check their Q4 report, it's reponsible for 24% of their sales for Q4 2012 (second only to GW2's 45%, and higher than AION, Lineage 2 and blade and soul combined), and the sales numbers are almost twice as much compared to both Q3 2012 and Q4 2011.... so it's not only still profitable after all this time, it's actually growing.

Yet they shut down their NA servers? Sorry but Lineage can't be counted if they had to cut it back due to lack of players. If you want to see a game with little overhead still turning over a good profit look at Everquest. 100k players still 14 years later.