Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Vanguard is the BEST Free to Play MMORPG out!

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

This past week I revisited one of my favorite mmo's Vanguard Saga of Heroes. While most of us cringe when a company says it is making a title free to play. I know I do,  the idea of content, character customization, classes getting shredded all for the mighty dollar makes me queesy!

But I was delightfully surprised when I logged into Vanguard. All of my characters were still there! Every one of them! As with many free to play titles I did not have a character lock! OUTSTANDING!

I logged in and was expecting some of my really good items to be locked as well.  Looking up my bank and character backpacks. I realized they were untouched. I had the freedom of the entire world of Telon at my hands! I still could go anywhere, do anything, and still use some of the very good items I had when I ended my sub.

So I asked myself, "whats the catch?". I found the answer when I decided to relog in and check out the upgrade for Vanguard. I realize now that only a few small changes had taken place as a premium member. You can check it out here. https://www.vanguardthegame.com/free.vm

I am surprised that the only hits taken for it F2P format is faction , experience bonus, and character slots. Compared to many of the other free to play titles out there. The loss for going free is minimal. You still get every class. Most loot and still have access to the functions Vanguard povides. This includes owning a home :-D.

This is the first free to play game where it really is almost free! If you have not tried Vanguard I recommend it highly!

This is by far the BEST MMORPG title that has the tag of FREE TO PLAY on the market!

Comments

• DizzlerDizzler Member Posts: 231
    Agree

• sylentnytesylentnyte Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Really is
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    It really is. Some of my items can't be equiped anymore that is really the only noticable difference I can see.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I resubbed and have been having a really good time in the game lately. It's about time for me to sub up another month and I will be doing the 3 or 6 month option for sure. I'm not going anywhere, anytime soon. But yeah, a buddy is playing for free and also very much enjoying his time in game again. Either way works, just depends on what you want out of it.

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    currently downloading Tera F2P and if it dont intrest me ill try this out

Originally posted by emperorwings
    It really is. Some of my items can't be equiped anymore that is really the only noticable difference I can see.

Not to mention it is a very small fee to do so. Way less than the standard 14$ a month. I think it cost around $1.50 to unlock 5 or so items.

Originally posted by Dantae87
    currently downloading Tera F2P and if it dont intrest me ill try this out

I just tried Tera, really needs a controller. Almost console like gameplay. 

• DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Originally posted by justtires
    Originally posted by emperorwings

Not to mention it is a very small fee to do so. Way less than the standard 14$ a month. I think it cost around $1.50 to unlock 5 or so items.

So for $14, I could unlock ~46 items.   Typically, how many times would a F2P player need to unlock an item during a month?  

• birkenbirken Member Posts: 122
    You wont have 46 items to unlock sence u can use alot of the tiems already. Certain items have to be unlocked so u would use half that amount a month. I think VG is the best game out there hands down i am just glade people are finally giving it a chance again. PLus u dont have to buy item unlocks from Cash shop u can buy them from in game auction house for in game money, Just  like most of the other cash shop items :).
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    One look at SoE/Vanguard F2P model and I walked away. This game as way to many restrictions and IMO for a game as old as it is, put it at the bottem of the line for me and I used to be a Vanguard fan and subscriber. Heck, I bought a new video card just to be able to play Vanguard. I will play this game again when the F2P model matches industry standards. Till then, Vanguard is FAR from F2P. I would more call it perview mode.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    One look at SoE/Vanguard F2P model and I walked away. This game as way to many restrictions and IMO for a game as old as it is, put it at the bottem of the line for me and I used to be a Vanguard fan and subscriber. Heck, I bought a new video card just to be able to play Vanguard. I will play this game again when the F2P model matches industry standards. Till then, Vanguard is FAR from F2P. I would more call it perview mode.

Like bank space, buying one house plot instead of two and unlock for high end armor which is not even worth it till lvl 50+? yeah way too many restrictions.

*rolls eyes*

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

You might want to relook at the F2P matrix, they revamped it recently. You need to buy unlockers for end game items, but as others have said, its like 5 unlockers for $3. Its actually cheaper just to buy unlockers than to sub.

The performance of the game is still terrible though.

You have no idea what u are talking about but thanks for the troll post:)

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by birken

You have no idea what u are talking about but thanks for the troll post:)

^this

They changed a lot of the restrictions, making it better which is why a lot of folks are returning

Am I still limited in the items I can use?

EDIT: Did a little reading and you are right it is better BUT.... and this is a big BUT. Item restriction makes F2P players nothing but 2nd class gamers and again the restrictions makes it not worth playing. For a game thats been out this long and restrictions that make you a second string player to any team, no thanks. 

Look at GW2 and the price of the box gets you access to everything. Neverwinter F2P and you get access to everything without a box price. The list goes on and on. Sad thing is I would play Vanguard tonight if the F2P option was real but its again perview mode that makes F2P gamers nothing more then 2nd class and any team would rather a montly sub players just because they will be more powerful.

Your not limited at all you can buy item unlock from in game Auction house. The point is you are a free loader and you think everything should be given to you like you earned it. 
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Eh... if we are talking about 'F2P' model then its pretty bland, though blame the eastern market for making many of the western F2P options look like a massive rip off. 

The game itself is alright, truthfully I'm tainted by the fact I had played in Beta testing and it just really turned me off quite quickly being quite a mess. Its improved but it is really hard to get into a game considering I've been spoiled with much better graphics and gameplay. Its one of those things that, given maybe it happened years ago I'd probably jump back in, the fact I was tainted by the game being quite lack luster at launch and with such a long time passing I just have no desire to even bother to download it.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      The game is kinda meh to me.   I feel empty and alone.  My toon Is currently at the three rivers and the once or twice a month I log in.  The entire region seems to be my own. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Your not limited at all you can buy item unlock from in game Auction house. The point is you are a free loader and you think everything should be given to you like you earned it. 

Nope, I been MMOing since EQ1 launched 12 years ago. When networking costs made 15 bucks a month worth it. Now server costs are so low they are a foot notes on quartly meetings. I question the 15 bucks a month. I been playing GW2 with no monthly sub and they have a great cash shop I can buy things I want that are not buy to win model. I am happy to support the game I play but I refuse to be told 15 bucks a month is fair. I would sub to Vanguard for 4.99 a month if it gave me everything. I would use the cash shop every few weeks if they gave me access to the whole game. SoE needs to get with the times.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    This game looked so promising when it was first released, but it was unloved for a long time.  I tried to jump back into the F2P recently but the graphics just look so dated now and the world so empty I couldn't stick with it.  
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

I'd give the game a second chance if they would make the character models and animations a bit better than the circa-2003 crap they have going.  They weren't super great on release, and 5 years later has only made them look even worse.

I know the whole "game play over graphics" argument, but that's no excuse for studios to completely ignore basic levels of animations.

You make me like charity

... The game graphics are better than 95% of game out  there and this game  give you the Whole game for free 1-55 everything but certain item in which u can get them without paying real money is great. For saying the game is dead wow just casue u played 2 year ago if i log in now alll the start zone have 20 plus players isle of dawn has 40 + 90% of time that is crazy. It wont have  as many people as WoW or other Top name games but then it also has less trolls and no gold sellers. or hackers. It so funny that people can make comment on thing they have no idea what they are talking about. If u did feel like spending money on this stuff u dont get for argument sake $4.99 would give u a ton of item unlock in which case u could not use them in a month unless u gave them out,But again u dont need to pay cash and still can use 100% OF GAME.
  • KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Vanguard has always had a part in my heart, but lately, that part is fading away. For many weeks I could just log into the game, go through Isle of Dawn, do some quests, talk with people and so on. For the first time, when I finally got time, I decided to go all in! I made a Blood Mage, just because it is very unique and because so many talked about how good and fun the class was. I bought a mount, some appearance cloth and came up to level 10. Now, I am very bored! 

When I am questing, it takes FOREVER (compared to other standard mmorpgs) and when I deliver the quests, I get like 10% of the whle xp bar. For me, it feels like I will never get to highest level. I die easily, just because I take so much damage (even if I am attacking with the right spells) and it is very hard to play. Sure, it is fun when it is challenging, but for me it is a pain in da arse right now!

So, should I re-roll? Any easier class or something more fun? Maybe the game is like this and it does not suit for me? I would love to love this game and be tempted to log in whenever I get time...but it is not like this. So, is it "wrong with me" or should I make a change?

Anyway, great game for those who enjoy it! Huge world and one of the best communities I have ever met!

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Nope, I been MMOing since EQ1 launched 12 years ago. When networking costs made 15 bucks a month worth it. Now server costs are so low they are a foot notes on quartly meetings. I question the 15 bucks a month. I been playing GW2 with no monthly sub and they have a great cash shop I can buy things I want that are not buy to win model. I am happy to support the game I play but I refuse to be told 15 bucks a month is fair. I would sub to Vanguard for 4.99 a month if it gave me everything. I would use the cash shop every few weeks if they gave me access to the whole game. SoE needs to get with the times.

Give it up dude. Many already explained that armor unlocks can be bought from trade post with in game currency. So why are you still crying about 15 bucks a month when you don't  even need it to enjoy the game? you already have access to whole game i don't know what more you want?

Vanguard has the most flexible and better F2P model. You want to see real nickle and diming go play SWTOR freemium model and then come back here and tell us what you think.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Definitely a great F2P model now that they lifted the class / race restrictions. Came back recently, can't get enough! Haven't touched Tera much since. Not to mention Gw2, which I can't even use as a door stopper because I got the digital edition =/ Sad.