Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Favorite Expansion?

WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Think we have all answered the question before, "What is your favorite game"?

But what I want to know is  -- What is your favorite expansion? SO many gems and bombs I would love to hear what is top, and what is not!

And also, what is your most hated or resented expansion? If you want to put in a runner up, go for it!

-------------------------------------------------

For me,

Favorite expansion:  Shrouded sles (DAOC).  It didn’t change anything that broke the game, only added awesomeness!! A huge continent, New raids, New race, and a new class for each realm. Plus it introduced spell crafting, so armor and weapon crafters made money hand over fist!

Runner up: Burning Crusade (WoW)

--

Most Hated:   Has to be Trials of Atlantis (DAOC) ruined everything that made the game fun. Only mom’s basement bums had the time to sink hundreds of hours into Artifacts and master levels, so the normal 9-5’ers were getting destroyed by all the ppl with too much free time.

Ironically my runner up has to be Cataclysm (WoW)  It was the final Nail to a process of turning a fun, social mmo into an anti social lobby game, ending my 5 year stint with it.

What about you guys?

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

Comments

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Man that is strange I really have not had a lot of positive expansion experiences to be honest.  :o  I did not even realize this until I read OP.

I think I will have to say Guild Wars: Factions and Nightfall.  OK so they were stand alone games, but really they are the only expansions I have ever really enjoyed.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed

It was an entirely new game in and of itself.

Originally posted by Vayman

Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed

It was an entirely new game in and of itself.

I almost said that too!  It was a great space simulator actually, very advanced compared to what you might expect from such a game.  But I had a sort of bad computer and I JtL added loading screens to a game that was near-seamless.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Burning Crusade was to me the greatest expansion ever.

It allowed us to get out of the 40 man grinding and into the smaller friendlier setting of guilds with friends, while still having a lot to do as a guild, and make alliances of small guilds to tackle 25 mans, also allowed Hybrids to start doing multiple roles essentially adding another 10+ choices to class builds.  Pally Tanks, Shammy DPS, Shadow Priest, Warrior DPS etc

Wrath of the Lich King and further, worst expansions ever

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Hands down Burning Crusade in WoW.  

First: the Dark Portal.  Awesomesauce.  The aura and atmosphere of events that were transpiring just had an urgency to them. 

The reduction from 40 to 25 man raids and the honing of raid mehcanics mostly eliminated the days of 5-10 afk players (paladins) at any given time.  The raids themselves were some of the best the game ever had, the apex of which were undoubtedly the Kael and Vashj fights.  Archimonde and Illidan both felt appropriately diabolical as the final baddies of their respective dungeons, but they simply couldn't compete with the total raid coordination required for Kael and Vashj.  I also thoroughly enjoyed the tiered progression of the expansion.  

The entire expansion's raid content remained relevant throughout the lifespan of the xpac.  Almost 2 years in, on any given server, there were 2-6 guilds who had Hyjal and BT cleared, several guilds progressing through tier 5 content, and even guilds who happily raided tier 4 content weekly and felt good about it.  You can't say that about the future expansions.  I had an alt in another friend's guild and I helped them progress through tier 5 content, while my other guild had long had tier 6 content on farm.  I was there for their victory cheers in ventrilo as they downed "old" content for the first time.  That's how it should be.  

Then there were the 10 mans, Karazhan and eventually Zul'Aman.  2 of the best raids ever.  I personally felt (mostly from a healer's perspective) that WoW's combat was perfectly suited for 10 players (which was why I was thrilled about 10 mans in the ensuing expansion--and those 10 man hardmodes were a ton of fun.  If one person messes up in a 10 man progression encounter, it's a wipe.  As a healer, your heals are felt.  It's no longer whack-a-mole where 10 other players are whacking at the same moles as you and you can't tell who's contributing what.  When you save the group with your heals in a 10 man, everyone knows. It just felt good.  ZA's timed bear mount runs were  blast.  We went in all cocky with 5/5 tier 6 gear thinking we'd trash the place.  Wrong.  Quickly learned we didn't have the dps to use 2 tanks and 3 healers, even with rogues dual-wielding legendaries.  Reduced to 2 healers and experienced some of the most intense healing of my life.  

Heroics were cool, but not as cool as most of the HUGE, cavernous, open-ended dungeons of vanilla.  

And now I'm just letting the nostalgia sweep me away.  I'll stop!

Runner up: Chains of Promathia in FFXI.  The CoP missions were a ton of fun to progress through with your linkshell.  Unfortunately, that kind of gameplay comprised a mere 1% of the game.  

• bsukalabsukala Member UncommonPosts: 36

Without a doubt Burning Crusades.

Every zone was enjoyable and the dungeons were challenging. The first time running Kara was probably the most fun i have ever had with my MMO experience.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

Diablo 2:LOD - The expansion just added so much I never returned to the base game after trying it at a friends house, I drove straight to Best Buy and abandoned my old characters.

Honorable mention WoW WOLK-  While technically in all respects BC was a better expansion, except for one thing. Beating the Lich King with my guild who I had been with for years was MY favorite moment in WOW ever.  I still wish I hadn't bought CATA though.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Chains or Promathia for ffxi was my favorite. The storyline was amazing and the battles were allexciting, challenging, and deverse.

Worst was probably Trials of Atlantis for DAoC. Had actually quit to play SWG galaxies before that but returned only to leave quickly and play ffxi.

Close second for worst would be Treasures of Aht Urghan for ffxi. I hated colibri and salvage is just horrible.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

For me Worst wss TBC it turned wow from a decent game to a single player game that rewarded people with top end gear for just paying a sub fee.

Best was vanguards one that bumped us up to lvl 55 ( not sure if it was really a xpac but it was my fav ) 

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    For its time Scars of Velious for EQ 1 is it for me. So many advancements were made in that expansion that have now been duplicated many times over in other games.
  • BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Originally posted by bsukala

Without a doubt Burning Crusades.

Every zone was enjoyable and the dungeons were challenging. The first time running Kara was probably the most fun i have ever had with my MMO experience.

This!

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    Originally posted by k11keeper

Chains or Promathia for ffxi was my favorite. The storyline was amazing and the battles were allexciting, challenging, and deverse.

Worst was probably Trials of Atlantis for DAoC. Had actually quit to play SWG galaxies before that but returned only to leave quickly and play ffxi.

Close second for worst would be Treasures of Aht Urghan for ffxi. I hated colibri and salvage is just horrible.

was about to post exactly that

CoP was the best expansion that i played so far. The battles , the OST , the zones , but what i loved the most the fucking epic storyline !

and yeah ToA was the worst :(

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I've got several.  The first is prolly the Dark Majesty for Asheron's Call.  The Second is Shrouded Isles for DAoC and lastly I would go with Wrath of the Lich King for World of Warcraft.  I know alot of people liked BC better but I didn't like it as it was a bit to devoted to hardcore raiders.  I loved how WotLK allowed casuals to progress in Hardmode 5 mans and normal raiding.  Plus it had my all time favorite class in an MMO the Death Knight.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Guild Wars 1 - Nightfall

Great Middle East setting and Paragon is awesome.

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Guild Wars 1 - Nightfall

Great Middle East setting and Paragon is awesome.

+1!  Good music and gorgeous setting too.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Wotlk, nightfall and mines of moria
  • MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King.

Kara, ZA, BT, Hyjal and Sunwell were the best times. 

Sanctum, Naxx and Icecrown were great too. and oh Ulduar!

Sigh. I miss hardcore raiding.

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95

Ruins of Kunark by far.

New Race and their own city/lore

New Continent - 30% (if not more) more zones

Epic Quest

10 more levels

Many new dungeons to explore (group or raid oriented)

Released on April 2000 (a little over a year from the original game release)

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by LauraFrost

Ruins of Kunark by far.

New Race and their own city/lore

New Continent - 30% (if not more) more zones

Epic Quest

10 more levels

Many new dungeons to explore (group or raid oriented)

Released on April 2000 (a little over a year from the original game release)

+1 to this.i remember  being fully planared and cowering in Karnors Castle die to all the trains... Lol good times.