Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So...

Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

DAOC "reborn" "2.0"

is this what people are looking for?

Will this game do it right? or will be get another warhammer online type game that everyone flocks to for a month then moves on?

I see its going to kickstarter...wich dissapoints me...i want a game like this to have a big budget, as ive been dabbling in the low budget games for years and know what to expect.

Comments

• Chief021Chief021 Member Posts: 107
    I'm not sure what to think about this one... the kickstarter program is a bit of a turn off for me as well.  However I love that fact it's going to include "old school" elements as indicated by the new teaser.

A PS4 ESO guild accepting applications at http://lowlyknights.enjin.com

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

WAR was a flop and Mark's name was all over that. I would like to hear how this will be different. If he plans on going back to vanilla DAoC I maybe intrested depending on what he has planed for the rest of the game. Takes a lot more to make it today then just one really well polished idea. You need cross over into many areas PvE raids, player housing, deep crafting system, etc. Does not need it all but its going to need more depth then just a RvR system. I really am intrested in answers to 2 questions.

How is Mark's working on this project going to be any different then WAR?

What is his over all flavor for CU? (ie. type of crafting, raids, world type etc) Overall vision.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

DAOC "reborn" "2.0"

Will this game do it right? or will be get another warhammer online type game that everyone flocks to for a month then moves on?

I see its going to kickstarter...wich dissapoints me...i want a game like this to have a big budget, as ive been dabbling in the low budget games for years and know what to expect.

I've been dabbling in big budget games just the same...

Its not much better there either  image

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by Marcus-

DAOC "reborn" "2.0"

Heres the thing, most big budget games follow one specific game as their role model.  Focus nearly 100% on the casual players and the leveling up process, and fail 100% at endgame.

If this game takes another path, i would much rather see it use a state of the art game engine, be somewhat polished and complete...rather than yet another game that did something different but didnt have the money to use a great game engine, and launch a half baked game.

Then again, i guess at this point just about every game does a dumbed down version of DAOC...so i guess it doesnt matter.

I just want the game to have great combat, a great preforming game engine, and to not be in some perma beta state where the games both lacking in content and in stability/playability due to issues that cant be handled by a 5 man dev team.

Again...with so little info, all i can do is assume based on the kickstart being used.  Who knows.  Just hope theres no EA/SOE/Crappy F2P publisher involved in this one.

DAOC "reborn" "2.0"

Heres the thing, most big budget games follow one specific game as their role model.  Focus nearly 100% on the casual players and the leveling up process, and fail 100% at endgame.

If this game takes another path, i would much rather see it use a state of the art game engine, be somewhat polished and complete...rather than yet another game that did something different but didnt have the money to use a great game engine, and launch a half baked game.

Then again, i guess at this point just about every game does a dumbed down version of DAOC...so i guess it doesnt matter.

I just want the game to have great combat, a great preforming game engine, and to not be in some perma beta state where the games both lacking in content and in stability/playability due to issues that cant be handled by a 5 man dev team.

Again...with so little info, all i can do is assume based on the kickstart being used.  Who knows.  Just hope theres no EA/SOE/Crappy F2P publisher involved in this one.

Fluid combat is often ignored, like in SWToR for something the developers think is ground breaking like story. This really is the bread and butter of any MMO. Combat, class balance and UI. If they are not great first, why make the rest of the game? Would like to see some Alpha combat videos. 

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Notice how as soon as big money got involved DAoC went to shit? And WAR was shit from the start, due to EA?

Yeah, Kickstarter is the only way this type of game would get made. Publishers ruin everything, and force games to become clones of WoW. 

Besides, it sounds like this won't just be vanilla DAoC, but something different entirely. 

I'd rather have interesting indie MMOs than play soulless WoW clones ever again. There's a reason that games like Eve and Darkfall grew over time, and WoW clones like LotRO, AoC, Rift, and SWTOR died. 

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    This is exactly what I've been waiting for. And DAOC didn't have a big budget. Camelot Unchained won't either, especially considering they are only focused on RvR, they don't have to waste any resources on PvE content.
    Originally posted by OgreRaper
    This is exactly what I've been waiting for. And DAOC didn't have a big budget. Camelot Unchained won't either, especially considering they are only focused on RvR, they don't have to waste any resources on PvE content.
    DAoC had PvE, it had really fun PvE that often tied back into what was going on in RvR. Before EA steped in, there was a great crafting system. None instanced dungeons. Player housing. CU is going to need a lot more then RvR to make it. Sure make it the meat of the game but that a long way from a MMO that will make it. 

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    I'm very excited but I hoped it would go B2P+cash shop instead of sub. What does he mean with "multi-tiered subscription"?

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Have any of you even read the interview and/or dev blog?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

lol

mystic asking for a kickstarter..

Pff mark should have kept his own vision of games instead of letting it fcked up by EA

GL mark.. i hope you get some investors for your game.. 

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

DAoC had PvE, it had really fun PvE that often tied back into what was going on in RvR. Before EA steped in, there was a great crafting system. None instanced dungeons. Player housing. CU is going to need a lot more then RvR to make it. Sure make it the meat of the game but that a long way from a MMO that will make it. 

Mr. Jacobs pretty much said they're making a niche game with Camelot Unchained. Fact is, if PvE is important to you, this is not your kind of game. They are aiming at players like me, hardcore PvP/RvR people who really don't care about PvE... AT ALL.

This game is not meant for PvEers

Originally posted by boxsnd
    I'm very excited but I hoped it would go B2P+cash shop instead of sub. What does he mean with "multi-tiered subscription"?

4.99 a month - Access to 50% of the content and other restrictions on your account like maybe less bank and bag slots

9.99 a month - Access to all the game and no restrictions to account

14.99 a month - Access to all the game and added bonuses on account, like 10% exp and cash on all kills. 

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Mr. Jacobs pretty much said they're making a niche game with Camelot Unchained. Fact is, if PvE is important to you, this is not your kind of game. They are aiming at players like me, hardcore PvP/RvR people who really don't care about PvE... AT ALL.

It will be niche, that's for sure.  I wonder what these little myopic niche games, such as Darkfall, are going to do when some great well-rounded sandbox games come out with fun PvP *and* all the other stuff too.  Become even more niche is my guess.

More power to them if the business model is sustainable, but the niche PvP mmo genre is never going to be very big.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by MindTrigger

It will be niche, that's for sure.  I wonder what these little myopic niche games, such as Darkfall, are going to do when some great well-rounded sandbox games come out with fun PvP *and* all the other stuff too.  Become even more niche is my guess.

More power to them if the business model is sustainable, but the niche PvP mmo genre is never going to be very big.

Utopia?

And we have been waiting how long for that?

I'm certainly not holding my breath.

I hope you are wrong. I want to see something on the level DAoC did when they launched. Open world dungeons and RvR style dungeons and crafting. Does not have to be a gear focused game but something to do different with your char when you log in. DAoC did that well at the start. 

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Utopia?

And we have been waiting how long for that?

I'm certainly not holding my breath.

About as long as we've been waiting for a PvP niche game that doesn't suck ass...

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

nevermind, not worth it, delete please.
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

God I hope this game is good. 

Edit:  I wonder if these "hardcore pvpers" who don't care about pve "at all" even played DAoC.  lol.  Game would not have been nearly as good if it were strictly RvR. 

Originally posted by redcapp

God I hope this game is good. 

I think of how much money they could make if it is? =-) If only all MMOs were good, we would have no time to post here lol I also hope its worth its salt. I am rdy for a MMO that can bring back the glory days of DAoC RvR. 

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

How is Mark's working on this project going to be any different then WAR?

He won't have EA breathing down his neck for starters.

Anyone who thinks some of Mark's decisions were not heavily influenced by EA is fooling themselves. He graciously accepts responsibility for his part with WAR, I think that in itself is refreshing to see coming from a developer, not many around these days that don't try to pass the buck for failure onto as many others as possible.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by Vinterkrig

They will never recapture what DAOC was because the players aren't the same anymore. 

.. it'll just be another zerg fest of keyboards smashing into mindless gamer's heads, cheering themselves on victories of a laggy 50 v 50 v 50 battle where they spammed TAB to auto target and fired off random spells.

This is a key point i think.

Back during the first generation of MMORPG's gamers seemed to make do with what was presented to them.  People enjoyed the game more because of it.  The community in those games was fantastic as trolling really hadnt become a cool thing to do.

Current generation of gamers walks into a game with a long checklist of features and systems that not only must be present, but executed EXACTLY as they envisioned...else there are huge problem and there can be no enjoyment.

A reskinned DAOC today would be dubbed a "zerg fest" "skill-less pvp" "terrible combat"  "boring same old"  "endgame sucks"  ect

It would be hyped to high heaven prior to launch then nose dive.  Global chat would be turned off by most, unable to bear with the flood of chat but not a single conversation taking place.  Nothing but people pretending they have alienware and its awesome and then people pretending that guy isnt trolling and entertaining the idea, along with people explaing why the guy pretending to like alienware is wrong and stupid...multiply this across all internet meme's  mix a pinch of "XXX game is better" and "wow did it first" and you have every global chat in any modern thempark.

Anyway....i appreciate the first gen games, glad i was a part of a lot of them, it will never be like that again.  The only hope is some truely unique combat mechanics and unique game systems.  Doing what EQ, DAOC, and Anarchy online did all those years ago meshed together as one game, with a twist...its just too much of it...we need new.  This game isnt offering that, its offering "a blast from the past" which everyone will want, until the get it.

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by Vinterkrig

They will never recapture what DAOC was because the players aren't the same anymore. 

.. it'll just be another zerg fest of keyboards smashing into mindless gamer's heads, cheering themselves on victories of a laggy 50 v 50 v 50 battle where they spammed TAB to auto target and fired off random spells.

I think you have a valid point that it won't recapture what DAoC was to us. However, I don't think it's fair to accuse the game of being "just another zerg fest of laggy 50 v 50 v 50 battles." At the moment, we know next to nothing about how this game will be implemented. They have already stated that it's not a clone of what DAoC used to be, but rather that it's a new game entirely. I think we should wait until more information is available to judge what the game will turn out to be.

• noblotnoblot Member Posts: 287

There is no reason that this can't be a big budget title. Kickstart can easily raise millons, and they you don't have to make a tonne of compromises to ensure that you make lots of "profit" to apease the bankers.

I'm very optomistic, DAoC was the best MMO ever (IMHO), and for all the slagging off, WAR was not a bad game and had alot of good features. Mirror classes, Public quests, RVR lakes and Tiers, and not to mention that you could PvP at level 1 (and not have to get to level 50 via PvE to play RvR).

• LongLivePvPLongLivePvP Member Posts: 102
    This will take at least 3 yrs to go full blown release if Kick starter is successful ...so yeah

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars & ArcheAge(Alpha)
    Backed: Shards Online, Camelot Unchained
    Loved: Vanilla WoW,UO,Shadowbane,EQ,DAoC,Asheron's Call(Darktide)