Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: NCSoft Reports Healthy Earnings

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to the NCSoft earnings report, the company experienced healthy earnings during the fourth quarter of 2012. Barring losses by Aion and Lineage II, the company maintained an 'in the black' report due to strong sales of Lineage, Guild Wars 2, and Blade & Soul.

Check out the earnings report here.

Source: Massively.com

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Uh oh

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280
    "how unexpected" "GW2 is profitable after all, I wonder why is that"
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by SBFord

According to the NCSoft earnings report, the company experienced healthy earnings during the fourth quarter of 2012. Barring losses by Aion and Lineage II, the company maintained an 'in the red' report due to strong sales of Lineage, Guild Wars 2, and Blade & Soul.

Do you realise that "in the red" indicates losses and is generally considered a bad thing. That is why massively ended their article with this statement "NCsoft's net income was in the red for the quarter and its stock has slid since September, losing half of its value in the process."

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    amazing how many people still play lineage 1
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    how the hell does Korea (assuming south Korea), a nation of 50 mil people, beat Europe + N America's in sales? :O....last i checked Koreans' are not rich....how the heck do they spend that kind of money on mmos? what does the average Korean family do once they get a paycheck ? "buy food, pimp out my GW2 character, and then pay rent if there is anything left..."?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by RefMinor

According to the NCSoft earnings report, the company experienced healthy earnings during the fourth quarter of 2012. Barring losses by Aion and Lineage II, the company maintained an 'in the red' report due to strong sales of Lineage, Guild Wars 2, and Blade & Soul.

Do you realise that "in the red" indicates losses and is generally considered a bad thing. That is why massively ended their article with this statement "NCsoft's net income was in the red for the quarter and its stock has slid since September, losing half of its value in the process."

I'd assumed that was a typo, and that she'd meant "in the black" but now, I'm confused.  Why would NCSoft be in the red?  Would that be in spite of those strong sales, or were those sales not strong enough, or what?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• revcasyrevcasy Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Originally posted by Vhaln

I'd assumed that was a typo, and that she'd meant "in the black" but now, I'm confused.  Why would NCSoft be in the red?  Would that be in spite of those strong sales, or were those sales not strong enough, or what?

Because they spent more money than they earned. Building infrastructure to support two growing MMO's is expensive, plus the advertising blitz for GW2, plus who knows what else.

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Wow i thought they were doing good. NcSoft last hope will be BnS that will probably bail them out.
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    how the hell does Korea (assuming south Korea), a nation of 50 mil people, beat Europe + N America's in sales? :O....last i checked Koreans' are not rich....how the heck do they spend that kind of money on mmos? what does the average Korean family do once they get a paycheck ? "buy food, pimp out my GW2 character, and then pay rent if there is anything left..."?

are you serious dude?

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Ignorance at it's finest, Korea used to be a poor nation but they boomed the last few decades and have become very wealthy and online gaming is huge in Korea, definitely bigger than any other country. Whereas here it's still taboo and nerdy to play online games, it's basically the norm/cool there. Internet cafes are all over south korea basically allowing people to have lan parties with friends while out for a coffee, gaming is huge and Korea is starting to become the powerhouse for developing games too.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Etherignis
    Wow i thought they were doing good. NcSoft last hope will be BnS that will probably bail them out.

If you look at their report, there's nothing really to bail out. There is a signficant amount of increase in spending from Q3 to Q4. You have to spend money to make money. Their overall revenue is trending upwards, hence the titles of the thread and the Massively article.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

In the US, our teens waste money on A&B clothes, sports jerseys and smartphones.  In Korea, gaming is the biggest sport and the in-thing.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

Unless GW2 box sales keep up the pace OR cash shop sales go up even further, they might not get a return on their investement.

I'm guessing their exceedingly high expenses were due to producing / marketing GW2. They might not be.

• sea.shellsea.shell Member Posts: 63

Go Lineage GO! ?(????)?

Oh wait, wrong party :)

Playing: EVE Online
    Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
    WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Talonsin

In the US, our teens waste money on A&B clothes, sports jerseys and smartphones.  In Korea, gaming is the biggest sport and the in-thing.

The easier explanation is that NCsoft is a Korean company and their portfolio of games primarily leans on the Korean market. The Guild Wars series is their primary foray into the western market.  Right now Guild Wars 2 alone makes up 45% of their game sales which is what the their European and North American sales add up to.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

" NCsoft's net income was in the red for the quarter and its stock has slid since September, losing half of its value in the process."

Why did MMORPG leave that out from the massively article?

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

So

around $40M in the 3Q12 + around $110M in 4Q12 = $150M

for GW2.

At an average of $30 a box that is 5 millions, so it seems a nice stream of revenue from gems.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

They could've made a bad investment or bought out a company with debts, or perhaps they're just ran by a corrupt board of directors bleeding it dry.

WIth the money they're raking in I also find it hard to believe losses are due to operating costs / marketing alone. They should be smart enough to make those calculations right.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,875
    That is in Korean Won . 1000 over Korean won is 1 US dollar.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Huh?  A profit from Linage, thought they took all those servers off line?  Did you get it backward?
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/earnings.aspx

Read for yourself. As expected a nice portion of box sales were held over from the 3rd qt. Even with that it looks like they lost quite a bit. Stock went down another 5% today too.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Oh boy, a quarterly. You guys know what this means?

What Does It All Mean Doom Forecasting™, with Bunny, our happy fluffy weather girl, tonight on Action Seven News.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

In the red was only NC Soft korea. If you add it's subsidiaries (like ANet with gW2). they are actually far on +.

Here: http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2013/02/05/25/0503000000AEN20130205002551320F.HTML  "Consolidated net profit reached 101.9 billion won (US$93.7 million) in the October-December period"

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by bcbully

http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/earnings.aspx

Read for yourself. As expected a nice portion of box sales were held over from the 3rd qt. Even with that it looks like they lost quite a bit. Stock went down another 5% today too.

Stocks a funny thing, it's not a measurment for company performance but a percieved value which can be VERY misleading.