Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Camelot Unchained: A New Beginning

Comments

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Oh my... I cant read it anymore: Redesign, rebirth, revamp, relaunch...

What Virus infected the human brain not being able to create Novelty anymore??

Is it SO hard to come up with genuine ideas these days??

Or is the game industry really so hardwired and tripping constantly over their contracts with bigoted publishers that do NOT UNDERSTAND A SINGLE BIT of art and design??

I could vomit left and right... such a bad bad time being a video gamer.

And whose fault is it? 80% of you people reading this, because you can NOT stop buying those god damn warmed up franchise-cr@p being released!!!

God damn hold back your wallet now and FORCE QUALITY to happen again OVER QUANTITY.

Motherhoppin brainless consumers.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

While this annoucement is all nice and good because I long for the DAOC days also when he said that there would be little to no PVE I mean come on.........

We can't have both I mean really?

Now the game is gonna be niche... I really hope that he can get enough backing for a completely RVR centered game..

Now before someone comes along and says well DAOC didn't have much I beg to difffer it actually may not have had many quests it still had plenty to do outside of just RVR......

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Mark, I can't wait to hear about how this game develops.  Thank you for reaching out to the community here.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ChakaCanChakaCan Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Oooh, yes the original way Daoc did archery was phenominal!!!   Bring us back those awesome archers!!!   I'm in!!!
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 627
    LOL their website is getting pelted currently... very slow...
  • gitskigitski Member Posts: 6

Mr Jacobs got Greedy with quick nasty game ruining updates that we all had to pay for.

I hope he is still not the Greedy money leeching MArk Jacobs of old  , then i found out this was a kickstarter so no change at all then , using other peoples money to make a game and make money for your large bank account .

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I say this, being a HUGE RvR fan, I love pvp the most in any game.

There's only one thing I wish he considers changing. Thats some pve. Some of my fondest memories were in RvR but because of my times in PvE uninstanced dungeons, out in the frontiers with pve groups, and Darkness Falls is the reason for the best time I've ever had in RvR.

I spent hours upon hours in dungeons/darkness falls and out in the frontiers in groups with people, meeting people every day and getting to know them. Grouping up with them and forming friendships and together making our realm as a whole very prideful.

Because of those people, RvR was made even more awesome, having those people by our sides as we rushed our keeps to save our relics or to rush an enemy's to get their relic as our prize. Daoc Pre-ToA did pve right, no quest hubs, just good fun.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    I played DAoC for the first 5 years it was out, starting on the 4th day after launch, so if Mr. Jacobs would like the input of a true believer, I would love to add my input to the conversation.  He should definitely be talking to the players before making major decisions.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Wouldnt it be greate if Camelot Unchained was more like The Elder Scrolls since The Elder Scrolls Online is just Camelot in a different skin!

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Whoever modeled the orcs in WAR is a genious. They are by far the coolest orcs seen in any game yet. I'll be genuinely surprised if any cooler-looking orcs ever get made for any game.
  • MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Will be interesting to see how they implement crafting and housing with no pve. Will leather grow on trees? If there are no mobs to kill or quests to complete where will gold come from?
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    I really hope this is more them a open world RvR map. I hope its much like DAoC when it launched with some good dungeon crawls and a nice crafting system. Does not need to be fancy but some solid meat and potatoes would be awesome.

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

Okay Marc, I'm going to to be a grown up. First, I admit I've been very frustrated with DAOC's ToA  expansion (ARG!) and the grossly unbalanced structure of Warhammer, but I'll let it go. Second, I can say that I've been very passionate about your previous games, so you do tend to make good games, I'll give you that much. So with that, I hope you read this: invite some dedicated PvP players to beta early in the process rather than late in the process, let them pound it out and find out how to break it, and then listen and ignore the "math" your quant guys give you about how it truly is balanced because of such-and-such.  All I keep thinking about is remembering the talk about all the class balancing tools you had prior to the launch of Warhammer....and then seeing the results of the unique combination of classes that could decimate waves of players. 

My PvP guild fooled around in Warhammer when it first launched, figured out in about 2-3 weeks how to build the ultimate group, leveled that group up and absolutely destroyed folks.  It wasn't because we were "l33wt awesome PvP players" or anything, we just quickly figured out certain combinations resulted in massive damage from bright wizards while limiting incoming damage.  We didn't have DPS meter tools or anything, we just used our PvP experience to break the game.  We laughed about how balance tools must have been created, when it was obviously so grossly unbalanced.  It also reminded me when DAOC first launched realm abilities and someone's idea of a great realm ability would be to swim faster (in a time when Old Frontiers had almost no water).  That proved to me that while they might be decent at playing a game and coding a game, they really had no clue what PvP players wanted or needed.

So, the moral of the story is that the quant aspects of balancing classes is important, you can't recreate the combinations that players can create to find the imbalances.  Furthermore, you can't rely on PvE focused players to figure it out either.  Finally, get the PvP folks in earlier in the game so that when you need to rebalance the classes, you can do it sooner rather than later in the process so PvE can be adjusted if needed.  It always seems to me that the game does the PvE first, then PvP last, and trying to rebalance the PvP screws up the PvE, then all chaos breaks out and people get really upset about having to redo so much stuff.

I understand making MMO games, er, successful MMO games, is really hard work. I certainly wish you the best in your upcoming venture and hope for a 3-way balanced PvP game that allows me to continue to grow my characters via PvP points that also never releases an expasion that requires massive PvE investment to be competitive in PvP (cough ToA cough).

Good luck.  Seriously.  

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

^^^ Didn't you read there is gonna be no PVE so you should love the game...

As for the rest of us who actully want some PVE in the game guess were screwed...

going back to waiting on teso and eqnext........

• ThedrizzleThedrizzle Member Posts: 322
    Originally posted by SBE1
    So, the moral of the story is that the quant aspects of balancing classes is important, you can't recreate the combinations that players can create to find the imbalances.  Furthermore, you can't rely on PvE focused players to figure it out either.  Finally, get the PvP folks in earlier in the game so that when you need to rebalance the classes, you can do it sooner rather than later in the process so PvE can be adjusted if needed.  It always seems to me that the game does the PvE first, then PvP last, and trying to rebalance the PvP screws up the PvE, then all chaos breaks out and people get really upset about having to redo so much stuff.

I understand making MMO games, er, successful MMO games, is really hard work. I certainly wish you the best in your upcoming venture and hope for a 3-way balanced PvP game that allows me to continue to grow my characters via PvP points that also never releases an expasion that requires massive PvE investment to be competitive in PvP (cough ToA cough).

Good luck.  Seriously.  

It's hard to tell what he is saying, but I think Mark stated there will be no pve, but from this quote, its not black and white.

"Mark Jacobs: CU first differentiator is that the entire game revolves around RvR not RvR+PvE or PvE+RvR or anything like that. Also, systems such as crafting and housing are also tied directly into RvR."

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Perhaps he's talking about instanced large scale RvR type battles that you queue for via lobby.  More than likely there would persistant growth of stats and such since the roots are in MMORPGs and the gameplay will likely follow.  It would be fun, maybe not taking the place of your favorite MMORPG but could definitely replace the PVP in your chosen game.  As long as there were tons of customization, gear to be won/earned, and a sense of persistance I could see myself losing tons of hours in it without the PVE, think Chivalry: Medieval Warfare only with a heap more MMO roots.  It wouldn't detract me from wanting to play other MMOs but would be successful in taking a chunk of my free time and money.  Ol' Jacobs is responsible for a lot of good that is often taken for granted, non of us are perfect but he's equipped with a good idea machine.  God speed man I hope your game turns out great, I'll be following it.
  • wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Originally posted by 4bsolute

Oh my... I cant read it anymore: Redesign, rebirth, revamp, relaunch...

What Virus infected the human brain not being able to create Novelty anymore??

Is it SO hard to come up with genuine ideas these days??

Or is the game industry really so hardwired and tripping constantly over their contracts with bigoted publishers that do NOT UNDERSTAND A SINGLE BIT of art and design??

I could vomit left and right... such a bad bad time being a video gamer.

And whose fault is it? 80% of you people reading this, because you can NOT stop buying those god damn warmed up franchise-cr@p being released!!!

God damn hold back your wallet now and FORCE QUALITY to happen again OVER QUANTITY.

Motherhoppin brainless consumers.

Agreed completely.

Also, I get the feeling most people here are mad at Jacobs for some updates done to WAR that "ruined" the game? When I actually played the game, it looked to me that no amount of updates could get me to play it beyond beta.

It was, and still is, sub-par game in most aspects to many F2P mmorpgs (which aren't that great either).

• RigamortisRigamortis Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Can't wait for this!
    Former GM and associate game designer for SOE and Square Enix.  (2001-2008)
  • BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259

Well I for one am thrilled to see developers embracing the three-sided PvP concept again. It’s really odd with the success of DAoC that future fantasy MMO’s didn’t embrace similar mechanics in their PvP design. Instead we ended up with two-sided conflicts, and when one side dominates the other side loses interest. Three-sided conflicts create quite a different dynamic and make it harder for one side to dominate. 

God speed to you Mark, we need a true spiritual successor. You helped create the original game, so let’s see what you can do. My only suggestion would be to remember what made DAoC successful and make it easier to access for all players.
  • Baramos79Baramos79 Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by winter
     More Trials of Atlantis? No thanks, I'll pass this time.

Someone obviously didn't read ANYTHING about the game.^

• Rampage9799Rampage9799 Member UncommonPosts: 35

DAoC was and still is my favorite MMO ive ever played, if this is even close (minus the Atlantis part) you may have a customer for years to come. Three way pvp is THE best way to do it,even if its not balanced it makes it very interesting.

disclaimer: Shadowbane was really my favorite game ive played but was run/maintained by idiots.....

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

This is a wait and see...

While I can see MJ making an open "I was an ass" appology. The point is, I and others have heard this before. GS, DAOC and WAR, each time an appology then a rant against the community a month later. It will take allot for me and others that know you this way to just "let it go". The old saying comes to mind " You made your bed, sleep in it". Time will tell and it will take years to do it for this isn't your first public appology .

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    Always happy to see those who gave us great games before give it another go. But as always no matter what your credentials don't expect a pre-order.
  • moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    This is merely a " hey look at this, go give them money " article.  I would have rather read about a homeless man creating a game than this drivel.
  • ShiotcrockShiotcrock Member Posts: 87

It would be awesome if it gets off the ground depends on how much Mark Jacobs is asking for $$$$$ I know Chris Taylor Wildman is a Kickstarter project that doesn't look like it's going to get off the ground cause he's asking for a million dollars!