Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Reputation System Detailed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As part of the upcoming v1.7 patch, Star Wars: The Old Republic players will be able to keep track of their 'galactic reputations'. Players will start off as unknown entities and, over time, will earn reputation points that will unlock rewards at special Reputation Vendors throughout the galaxy.

A key feature of Galactic Reputation is the fact that it is bound to your Legacy instead of your character. In Star Wars: The Old Republic, the consequences of your character's actions can span generations, and heroism is hereditary. This means that all Reputation Points and ranks that you earn are shared across your entire Legacy, and all characters in your Legacy contribute Reputation Points to the same shared pool. Once you've unlocked rewards or titles, all characters in your Legacy will have access to them. 

Read more on the Star Wars: The Old Republic site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Seriously, after all the things they could do to save the game they make a faction/rep grind? Really? It's like watching a train wreck you really can't look away it's so bad.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Seems they're still trying to clone the WoW model... But honestly, I don't know anyone who would say "I enjoyed earning rep in WoW".
  • IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Seriously, after all the things they could do to save the game they make a faction/rep grind? Really? It's like watching a train wreck you really can't look away it's so bad.

And the train engineer is discussing the dinner menu with the chef!

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    The goal of this system is to increase the rewards from endgame activities. My guess is that the leveling planets are busy, but the endgame activities are not. Beware tied the need for a sub to the endgame. For myself, I will get more rewards for stuff, I already do. However, will this entice players who are strictly character and story based to sub? I am not so sure.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Awesome, I was only saying the other day what SWTOR was missing was some grind.
  • Maverick827Maverick827 Member Posts: 71
    Yes, a video game adding a feature is essentially the same thing as a train wreck. Spot on.
    Originally posted by Maverick827
    Yes, a video game adding a feature is essentially the same thing as a train wreck. Spot on.

A job isn't a feature, it's work. Adding a senseless time sink with minimal rewards to a game that I wanted to succeed so badly is just dumb. Flat dumb. Especially when said game needs a lifeline.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Oh dear. Gone beyond humour now.
  • WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

What I find most amusing is the fact that even after a year after launch, they still haven't had a worthwhile patch.

Half of the patches were things that should have been ingame at launch but the die hard fans will accept any old crap and rejoice.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829
    So has SWTOR become as awful as the prequel movies are regarded to be yet? Sounds like it is getting there. But hey moar grind, just what the game needed!
  • AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    I find it amusing that every SWTOR thread always gets bashed, definetly not suprised tho lol. Haters,fanboys, and trolls.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Instead of adding factions to grind rep for, SWTOR needs to add a third playable faction.
  • QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

This thread summed up...

You are eating dinner, lets say steak, then the cook walks over and says hey, we will now offer pizza as well if you decide you want that, or you can ignore it and just continue eating what you are eating now.

And then you reply by saying HOW DARE YOU OFFER PZZA!!!!!! I HATE PIZZA!!!!!

Yeah, evil SWTOR offering something that someone may like.... How dare they!

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Czanrei
    Instead of adding factions to grind rep for, SWTOR needs to add a third playable faction.

Seems to be the trend atm....

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

SWTOR threads are growing stale, it's always the same plot and the same actors. Fail this, fail that, lots of whining from players who long ago quit playing.

I find it sorta fascinating that SWTOR is the most flamed game on these forums, yet the forums on this site for SWTOR manage to get top 5 in traffic on a regular basis. Must be that people love forum PVP - especially when they are on the side with the biggest zerg.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by cura
    Originally posted by Quicksand

This thread summed up...

You are eating dinner, lets say steak, then the cook walks over and says hey, we will now offer pizza as well if you decide you want that, or you can ignore it and just continue eating what you are eating now.

I think they served very old pizza but if you enjoy it feel free to eat.

I'm not commenting on the quality of the update, only that they have in no way done something bad by ADDING something, what ever it is they add.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

Originally posted by cura

This thread summed up...

I think they served very old pizza but if you enjoy it feel free to eat.

I'm not commenting on the quality of the update, only that they have in no way done something bad by ADDING something, what ever it is they add.

WoW, SWG, DAoC ToA, EQ2 etc. etc. would all like to have a word with you about adding useless content that is more of a hinderance than a feature. I want SWTOR to be successfull, but they aren't even trying anymore it seems. Adding a faction grind when a lot of players have been screaming enough with rep/faction grinds the past 2 years is a silly idea.

• jawapetjawapet Member Posts: 79
    I love how people hate on this game and say they don't care, yet whenever there is news about they immediately jump on and comment... and then read through additional comments to comment on those.  They claim they hate it and don't care, but they seem to spend a lot of effort making other people care about them not caring... If they honestly didn't care they wouldn't post anything would, let alone continue to comment on it multiple times.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

This thread summed up...

Or alternatively, make you do a load of washing up before you are allowed to eat the steak, and then saying "But hey, we added washing up, that's a good thing right, right"

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Will someone send the Bioware devs an email containing the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergent_gameplay

I swear, some of these developers are so far removed from the games they make, and gaming trends in general, that they have no clue the world is moving on.

(PS:  Is this the only forum left on the internet which does not auto-link posted URLs?  Time to ditch CFML and move on...)

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Maverick827

A job isn't a feature, it's work. Adding a senseless time sink with minimal rewards to a game that I wanted to succeed so badly is just dumb. Flat dumb. Especially when said game needs a lifeline.

The system gives the player a reason to re-visit certain areas/planets and how do you know the rewards will be minimal  , have you insight into what the vendors will sell at any given rank ? Do you not want to re-visit Ilum ?Who says it needs a lifeline , the term tortanic is very old and a load of rubbish ( not that you called it that ) .

For me I think it sounds pretty cool , another thing to do in the game or a few other things to do. i for one don't like the space missions too much but cool for the people who do and I'm still not sure if i want to be flagged on Ilum , but I will try the voss heroics and the section X parts of this new system , I hope the rewards are cool and that they add more really early planets to the system.

Remember originally most of us thought it was going to be a PVP only system , I'm glad it isn't.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

For those who hate rep grinds, there is hope for you.  You can just buy rep boosters from the cash shop.  Now everyone can win, yay!

Hint - look at the top right Bonus rating on the OP's screenshot.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Cypt1Cypt1 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by Karteli

For those who hate rep grinds, there is hope for you.  You can just buy rep boosters from the cash shop.  Now everyone can win, yay!

Hint - look at the top right Bonus rating on the OP's screenshot.

Taken from the official website:

Subscriber Bonus

You can earn additional Reputation Points each time you consume a Reputation Trophy if you have a Reputation Bonus in effect. All Subscribers get a natural +50% bonus to all Reputation Points earned. This value is displayed in the Galactic Reputation tab of the Legacy window.

Not that I'd be surprised if the cash shop offers an alternative. They did it with experience boosts,  (subscribers get a 25% bonus to xp, yet both subscribers and non-subscribers can buy 25% boosts in the cash shop), so why not? (Not looking forward to this system either way, heh.)

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

these are the kinds of things you add when ppl already love your game and want to keep playing despite having done everything already

is EA really this delusional about the games success still?

• GMan33GMan33 Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Lol, how pathetic this updates are lol. Man, there hasnt been one thing mentioned, in updates/expansion that will bring people back. Man this game blow so hard.