Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a one-of-a-kind MMO

KazariiKazarii Member Posts: 4

Hi, I have been checking out games on this site for months but to no avail, because every one of them turns out to either be a WoW-clone, Diablo-clone or Dota-clone (especially the latter two seem to be hot atm) Its pointless even starting to play these games after having seen a gameplay video because they will turn out to be exactly the same apart from slightly improved graphics and some different spells...

I'm getting rather tired of this, the only game I still enjoy playing is APB because its a truly unique game, but I have been playing that for over 2 years and I want to try something else now. So please, does anyone know of a MMO that is truly unique among its genre and one that keeps you interested for a very long time ?   I'm not that picky on the genre or style.

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Vanguard

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

A Tale in the Desert is probably the most unique game I've played.  Any crafting mechanics that have been done in any MMORPG at all are likely to have been done in ATITD.  Also, there's no combat.

Puzzle Pirates and Uncharted Waters Online are also nifty games that go way off the beaten path.

• steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434
    Originally posted by Quizzical

A Tale in the Desert is probably the most unique game I've played.  Any crafting mechanics that have been done in any MMORPG at all are likely to have been done in ATITD.  Also, there's no combat.

Puzzle Pirates and Uncharted Waters Online are also nifty games that go way off the beaten path.

Wow!  Now there's a blast from the past!  If you're a die hard craft/creater then you definately want to check this one out.  Graphics are old, but the small community there is top notch!

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• KazariiKazarii Member Posts: 4

Tbh Uncharted Waters online looks like a Voyage Century Online clone.  I loved VCO but don't see myself enjoying a game so similar to something I've played for a long time.  

The Repopulation looks like an interestesting game, I will definitely keep an eye on that. 

A Tale in the Desert is too old for my likings, sorry.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Kazarii

Tbh Uncharted Waters online looks like a Voyage Century Online clone.  I loved VCO but don't see myself enjoying a game so similar to something I've played for a long time.  

The Repopulation looks like an interestesting game, I will definitely keep an eye on that. 

I dunno if you have tried Age of Conan, it isn't exactly the most groundbreaking game of all time or anything, but it does have a few features I like over other newer games. The combat is unique and feels very fluid, classes are unique, dungeons are fun and actually challenging. Just an all around good game, with a few unique features, but it's not breaking the mold by any means. I know you wanted a newer one of a kind game, there just aren't many out there. The one of a kinders died years ago.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

I know that I have frequently touted TSW, not because I am  a fanboi but because it is unique.  I have yet to find (or remember) any game with investigation missions, sabotage missions, and an absence of "kill ten rats" missions.  There is NO handholding.  Some people have, indeed, complained re: pvp, but, I don't pvp so I cannot comment on that aspect.  It is relatively easy to  find  groups for dungeons.

All the myths, legends and conspiracies you have ever heard of are true. 

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

Wasnt Age of Conan a complete flop?  I heard that the the numbers of people playing dropped in no time and that the future of the game is unsure.

I will definitely look into The Secret World, if Im right they just removed the monthly fee (which was the main reason I didnt start playing it when it was released) and I like the sound of missions that actually involve something else than mindless killing. One thing I would like to know though, how about the character development? Is there some sort of skill tree and (visua;) modification avaiable?

Wasnt Age of Conan a complete flop?  I heard that the the numbers of people playing dropped in no time and that the future of the game is unsure.

I will definitely look into The Secret World, if Im right they just removed the monthly fee (which was the main reason I didnt start playing it when it was released) and I like the sound of missions that actually involve something else than mindless killing. One thing I would like to know though, how about the character development? Is there some sort of skill tree and (visua;) modification avaiable?

Age of Conan has had a small resurgance now that a lot of bugs/glitches have been fixed, also the F2P game carries you all the way to 80 before you have to worry about buying anything for the game. It really is worth a shot in my opinion, I hated the game when it came out, and came back to try it out with F2P and was pleasantly surprised. A lot of my complaints were taken care of from release.

I'm not saying every server is maxxed full population, but there are people playing, and it is fun :)

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

There's plenty of unique games. For example, Firefall, Guild Wars 1&2, The Secret World, EVE, Vanguard and Ryzom are all quite different from the norm. People just like to call everything they don't like a WoW clone, even if the game in question is nothing like WoW.

http://wiki.crygaia.com/view/Ability_Wheel

It's a pretty good system, although not as fun as the one Guild Wars has IMO.

Originally posted by Scalpless
    There's plenty of unique games. For example, Firefall, Guild Wars 1&2, The Secret World, EVE, Vanguard and Ryzom are all quite different from the norm. People just like to call everything they don't like a WoW clone, even if the game in question is nothing like WoW.

Vanguard is pretty unique as well, the last true sandbox worth playing in recent memory. If you decide to give it a shot send me a PM as I play Vanguard currently as well (despite them locking me out of my poor pally), always looking for people to group with in any game I play.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I've been messing around with it these past two weeks. The game was pretty unplayable for me at release, rampant bugs and memory leaks, and my PC was dated.

It's pretty decent today. There seems to still be a working population playing, at least on the pve server. I've had no problems getting a group on tortage, and the trader network seems to be fairly active.

I haven't gotten to the mainland yet, so I can't really comment on it, but it's worth checking out since it's free and people are still playing.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

There's plenty of unique games. For example, Firefall, Guild Wars 1&2, The Secret World, EVE, Vanguard and Ryzom are all quite different from the norm.

An excellent list to start with.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Thanks for all the suggestions, I decided to try out The Secret World first as it looks nothing like I've ever seen, with an interesting plot. 

Oh and GW1 was absolutely amazing (spent 500+ hours on it) but GW2 feels more like WoW than GW1. Because they removed the entire skill build customization and replaced it with a pathetic alternative the game became boring fairly quick to me.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

It's trivially impossible for UWO to be a clone of VCO when you consider that UWO launched first by about 20 months.  Furthermore, UWO is based on some old console games from roughly the early 1990s, and those predate VCO by more than a decade.

While I haven't played VCO, I'm quite skeptical that anyone would try to clone a Koei game (well, other than Koei itself).  Koei lives in their own world, and blatantly ignores conventions that nearly the entire rest of the genre follows.  That gives you a steep learning curve, as it takes a while to figure out what you can do, let alone ought to do.  But it also tends to create rather unique games.

They may both have quite a bit of "get in a ship and sail around".  But it's highly probable that the details are going to be wildly different.

-----

Edit:  just to give you some idea of how complicated UWO makes things, I once wrote up something on how to refill your vigor (loosely equivalent to mana in some other games).  To explain the various options and the nuances of each ran about 20 paragraphs.  If I wrote up something on how much stuff you can carry and store, it would probably run about that long, too.  Ditto for how to acquire quests.  The entire game is like that, as Koei does things their own way and doesn't make anything simple if they can help it.  Does that sound like it could describe VCO, or for that matter, any other game you've played, ever?

• FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756

TERA just went Free2Play, and it has action based combat unlike WOW etc (aim skills). I'm playing it right now and it's quite refreshing!

Also theres Eve Online, it has been running for 10 years and there really isn't anything quite like it.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

There's plenty of unique games. For example, Firefall, Guild Wars 1&2, The Secret World, EVE, Vanguard and Ryzom are all quite different from the norm.

An excellent list to start with.

I will throw in STO .. there is NO star trek MMO except STO. In fact, there is no recent Star trek games, period.

DCUO is also pretty unique with DC heroes and universe as the back drop. The new Marvel Heroes will also be unique ... essentially a new Marvel Ultimate Alliance game in MMO form.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Skooma2

I know that I have frequently touted TSW, not because I am  a fanboi but because it is unique.  I have yet to find (or remember) any game with investigation missions, sabotage missions, and an absence of "kill ten rats" missions.  There is NO handholding.  Some people have, indeed, complained re: pvp, but, I don't pvp so I cannot comment on that aspect.  It is relatively easy to  find  groups for dungeons.

All the myths, legends and conspiracies you have ever heard of are true. 

really? because i remeber doing that in Kingsmouth, blue mountains, and the second map. Killing 10 rats to collect bear asses.

with everything else i agree with you. (except pvp because i never did pvp so i dont now how is it and not interested in pvp there either, only pve). Also the ¨no handholding¨ is fake... everything is in google step by step. (designed that way by Funcom, go to ingame google browser for the handholding) 

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Eve

Secret World

Age of Conan

everything else is run off the mill, or still in beta, or in development until 2014

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    If people choose to use the B Key (which knows all) to look up solutions instead of working on clues, that's their business.   If you use it to investigate an answer based on clues available, then it is not handholding. 

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• LuckshmiLuckshmi Member Posts: 74

idk about you but I can't seem to move on with GC and Dragon Saga despite how many times i've quit these games and move on to different servers..

people often complain about GC being p2w which is entirely true.. but if you manage to get the playstyle.. winning over some all-cashed-out dude is no problem

and people often complain about DS having no real content update since the change of developer.. plus I really think that re-naming it is a stupid idea..

I always come back to these two bastards. g'dmnt

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Age of Wushu. Hop on it.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    EVE Online, Uncharted Waters Online, Age of Wushu or even Wizard 101

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Both Love(http://www.quelsolaar.com/) and Minecraft with right mods and server can be a rather interesting experience, even if not full scale MMO.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I enjoyed VCO but did not like UWO.....