Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Camelot Unchained: A New Beginning

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com has teamed up with City State Entertainment to bring our readers an exclusive developer blog to talk more about the just-announced Kickstarter campaign for "Camelot Unchained" (working title). Check out the first installment and then join the discussion in the comments!

Not surprisingly, the past six weeks have been very interesting. During this time, we released our first two teaser trailers, and I had the chance to be interviewed by the fine folks at Massively and here at MMORPG.com. The reactions from fans, frienemies as well as detractors have run the entire gamut from “Please create a DAoC 2” to “Get out the tar and feathers, he's back!!!” 

Read more of Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained: A New Beginning.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87
    The only way you can prove you've changed is by your actions in the future.  DAoC was amazing.  Keep up the positive news.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    At first glance I thought DAoC was going F2P. I got excited. Then got sad.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Toxic_RevengerToxic_Revenger Member UncommonPosts: 12

Time moves on and people change and grow. None of us are the same people we were ten years ago. I appreciate Mr Jacobs taking the time to share his insight with us. Too often people tend to forget that there are living breathing human beings on the other side of the internet gulf, and that those people have the same hopes, dreams, fears, failings and feelings as the rest of us.

What's past is past Mr. Jacobs. And while I'm sure there will be some who will want to continue to dwell there, I hope your new game turns out to be everything you wish it to be. My only advice would be to always remember that actions speak louder than words. So ignore those that want to drag you back to what was and instead focus on making the best game you know how to, and let that project do your speaking for you.

“Not even Jove can please all, whether he rains or does not rain.”

—Theognis

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I wouldn't want an exact daoc replacement, mix it up a bit.

E.g. go 4 factions (e.g. Romans), or stick with 3 but also have a ffa / gvg frontier where players build forts, add mounted combat in the vein of chivalry, mount & blade or war of the roses, or move it to a different timeline like middle ages instead of dark ages, heck get wild and fast forward to daoc40k or something.
  • NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    Why Two articles? The first one is where people are commneting, but oh well.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by NC-John

This is a blog article by Mr. Jacobs. The other is the simple announcement of the game. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I have higher hopes for Matt Firor and TESO than Mark Jacobs and this game, but I'll stay tuned to see how it develops.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

My only reaction is: "Spiritual Successor to DAoC. Again?"

What is this, the tenth developer trying this sell?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

I enjoyed WAR, you guys did alot of things right, the classes in that game are some of the most fun classes in any MMORPG I've played and I really like that the classes aren't directly mirrored on both factions. For me it was primarily in the performance of the game with desynching etc that WAR failed to live up to expectations. Three factions would also have improved the RvR I believe.

I hope you guys will put alot of effort into making sure Camelot unchained runs smoothly, it's very important for an MMO and it's the aspect where WoW really shines imo. I have no experience in game development so it's easy for me to say but harder to do I suppose since many MMO's have problems with it.

Good luck with the new game!

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Mark Jacobs said it best re: F2P vs Subscription! I really wish ALL game developers thought this way!

What business model (i.e., free-to-play, buy to play, subscription) are you looking at for this game?

Multi-tiered subscription with no free-to-play option but with (maybe) some cosmetic items for housing. I think F2P and buy-to-play have their places, but we are trying to create a very niche-oriented MMORPG that won't benefit from using those models. I'd rather have 30K people paying and playing monthly than hundreds of thousands playing for free and hope to convert 5%. This game is geared to doing one thing spectacularly, and that one thing is RvR. I believe there is a core group of players who have been waiting for this type of game, and our Kickstarter campaign will either prove or disprove this notion.

Source:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/05/rvr-unchained-mark-jacobs-returns-to-camelot/

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Originally posted by SBFord
    Originally posted by NC-John

This is a blog article by Mr. Jacobs. The other is the simple announcement of the game. :)

Don't mind me still working on my first cup of coffee :P

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Awesome. I can't wait to see what you put together. Hey, everyone makes mistakes and as long as you learn from them you come out a better person. Now all you have to do is make a kick ass game :) Love 3 faction games, glad to see them coming back.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

"I've also always been willing to go out among the players and speak to them..."

Maybe a bit more "with" instead of "to"? That might have helped DAoC stay on course...just a thought.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    This will be epic, DAOC 2 woooaahhh! played daoc a few years ago but it was pretty much a graveyard.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

I think this Kickstarter will definitely get my money.

God dammned, I'm quite easy to hype with anything related to DAOC!

Hodor!

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by gwei1984

I think this Kickstarter will definitely get my money.

God dammned, I'm quite easy to hype with anything related to DAOC!

It's a curse all old DAoC vets share. Reclaiming the lost glory of true PvP.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

I got 200 bucks mark that was for the beer fund, will be checking your site finding ways to get it to you. this sounds pretty amazing, i feel giddy with excitement for some reason.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I'll stick with Elder Scrolls Online for the time being as first I feel it has the money to back up its talk and I do not trust an indie game to deliver and secondly Matt Firor was the man behind DAoC's RvR success and Mark was responsible for the game following the ToA debacle.  For now my $$$ is behind soemthing that can be backed but I'll pay close attention to this new game.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Icewhite

The difference is that Mark Jacobs was apart of the original DAoC team. So if anyone is going to create a spiritual successor to DAoC, it would be the former lead designer of that same game. Which is Mark Jacobs.

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136

Zod approves

Zod will still play ESO however Zod will still support the kickstarter with ill-gotten funds.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    Originally posted by Icewhite

The difference is that Mark Jacobs was apart of the original DAoC team. So if anyone is going to create a spiritual successor to DAoC, it would be the former lead designer of that same game. Which is Mark Jacobs.

Maybe.  I'd like to be hopeful, but much as I believe WOW was delivered in the right place and the right time, I think DAOC was a "perfect storm" of conditions in the marketplace that aren't likely to be replicated ever again.

And failing in any way to bring back the true spirit of the game will likely result in the same angry backlash that WAR met when it didn't meet the fan's expectations. (I was one of these)

I wish Mark, Matt and all the others the best of luck, but just like the failed attempts to recapture the feel of UO, I don't think there's much hope of that actually ever happening.

Best if new titles try to carve their own legends.......

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• slide_k9slide_k9 Member UncommonPosts: 45

Matt,

Please listen to your community this time.

And please please re-implement archery (nocking an arrow) the way it was before EA tar'd over it.

slide

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I like what he has to say so far. Everyone makes mistakes and at least he's man enough to admit to it, and try to move on forward and do better. I'm also glad he shares my opinion of the subscription model with mmo's. I'd much rather play an mmo with 30k-100k  like minded players, rather than a few hundred thousand - a few million people that want a free to play game.

Subscription all the way for me.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• keitholikeitholi Member UncommonPosts: 140

Mark,

It's great to hear that you are throwing your hat back into the ring. I will be checking out the kickstart page and pointing some of my friends in it's direction as well. I am glad to hear that you have learned a lot through all your previous dealings and I look forward to a better end product (if it's possible) this time around.

DAoC is still one of my all-time favorite games, so you have a herculean task ahead of you to try to bring that back to life in a new form. I wish you the best of luck :)

• Clear8888Clear8888 Member Posts: 8
    are we talking about making a brand new game or reuse the old client?