Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Casual vs Hardcore in AA

SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80

After a topic regarding housing brought some heated discussion, the old topic of hardcore vs casual playing came up.

Seemingly, when players who have a bit more playtime can 'rush' and acquire houses in a safezone and not worry about losing it. Yet there is a finite number available.

In another area, players can still build but be subjected to non carebear mechanics.

My question to AA players is are there any other examples of players with more playtime acquiring items/benefits/whatever that could possibly make it 'unfair'? Im very interested in this game and WILL PLAY IT REGARDLESS, but am still finding out about the content.

Last thing, I am NOT IN FAVOR OF 'WELFARE GEAR' and things like that. Players that put in more time and effort should be rewarded.

Im sick and tired of western players crying because they can only play 3 hours a week they cant have everything a player who plays more has. I want content that we have to work for INSTEAD OF BEING HANDED EVERYTHING ON A PLATTER AND HAVING CONTENT NONEXISTANT BECAUSE OF IT.

And the old argument of 'not wanting a job after I get home from my job" excuse? Lol, please.........Just because some players have more time to play then you, they shouldn't be punished for that, period.

All Will Be Well.....

Comments

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

To a certain extent more play time will indeed translate to better gear in ANY game.

In AA you will need a pretty serious investment in time and effort to get a Crafter to top rank. You will then need to supply then with materials to get good gear. 

But seriously, unlike EQ/WoW/Rift etc... Top end Boss drop isn't god like in AA, top ranked crafted should excede the drops.  Even top crafted won't be that much better than Boss drop or midrange crafted. True it will be better than lesser gear, but 10-20% rather than a Raid drops typicall 100% better.

For instance a Grey quality L50 Dagger lists at 81.6 DPS, Common 102 DPS, Uncommon 107.1, Rare 112.2, Ancient 117.3, Heroic 122.4, Unique 127.5.

Other than the Grey mob drop, all the rest have a fixed +5.1 DPS improvement, for a greatly increased cost in materials and rarity of materials. So a Common crafted isn't ridiculously beat by even an Unique item.

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    I hope that by hardcore you mean players that are good in mmorpgs and not the ones with too much time in their hands since it's 2 completely different races.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    man i love reading these threads. I don't care how many there are. 
  • JaddenJadden Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Negative. Hard core doesn't mean you're a good player, spending large amounts of time in game does. You can be the best player in the world but only play 30 mins a day and more than likely you are not gonna get a lot done. I know a few terrible players who play all day long, and and have all the gear in the world, but I consider them hard core, just on the hours they put in.

You can be a better player than the person that puts in the hours, I just think that makes you a more skilled player, not more hard core. Just my opinion though.
  • NakaweNakawe Member UncommonPosts: 14

I could care less if the were nagative , positive or somewhere inbetween.  Games needs all aspects and killing someone that is negative is far more rewarding then killing a positive player.

On the OP topic, I want a slow grind and want players who play alot or join a guild that plays alot to have an advantage.  I am getting sick and tired of games releasing more of a single player game then an MMO.

Guild have been weakened over the years and most people who play MMO's now don't see any advantage to joining a guild.  This needs to be addressed and a good guild structure can offset the advantage's of a hardcore player with more time.

Basically I would like to see harcore players be able to florish because they are hardcore and casual players florish because they have a strong guild structure.  

There is a balancing act that needs to be accomplished and it would be nice to see a different approach to appeal to the masses OTHER then welfare epics or punishing hardcore players because they play alot.  These are not easy fixes and the next game that truely addresses these issues instead of a bandaid approach will finally be the next BIG MMo.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    It's almost impossible to be a casual player in a sandbox MMO and stay competetive with other players in the upper tiers. The best thing to do is just play casually and don't worry about the top teir. The same can be said for themeparks to a lesser degree, but since sandboxes are a lot more open about many things and open ended in general, it's harder to "catch up".

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Please, the hardcore/casual war is just about ten years old, unofficially.

It shows signs of finally dying out some day, if we just duck out quietly.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Help me understand this. Why would a casual player even worry about top gear? Arent they just casually playing the game.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Example why :

Top skilled player plays casually at 2 hours a night and 6 at weekend and is outgeared by an inferior player who only plays 2 scheduled nights at 12 hours a week. Why exactly should the superior skilled player who plays more hours lose out again?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Daxamar
    Help me understand this. Why would a casual player even worry about top gear? Arent they just casually playing the game.

I can give you a perfect example. I have 2-3 hours 3 or so nights a week to play games. That's pretty damn casual compared to most. What do I enjoy most about MMOs? Advancing my character, getting better gear, making my numbers go higher. It's what I enjoy. I want the best possible gear I can get even if it takes me 3 months instead of 3 weeks like a "hardcore" player.

To me the casual/hardcore debate has always been about time invested, not a skill level or activities in game.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    dude just tell me one game on the people who have more time to play is not better? be it gear, skill, money if you play the game more then others you should be better
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

I can give you a perfect example. I have 2-3 hours 3 or so nights a week to play games. That's pretty damn casual compared to most. What do I enjoy most about MMOs? Advancing my character, getting better gear, making my numbers go higher. It's what I enjoy. I want the best possible gear I can get even if it takes me 3 months instead of 3 weeks like a "hardcore" player.

To me the casual/hardcore debate has always been about time invested, not a skill level or activities in game.

I undrstand about char progression, but why should a casual have the same gear compared to a hardcore player. Yes, its time invested.

Lets say a player takes the time to get a raid together, takes the time to make sure everyones ready to take on a hard boss. Why should a player who only logs in a few hours be given the same gear top gear? It can take hours just in preparation to get a good raid together. Hours to get a good dungeon run. Not just  a PUG that may or may not finish it.

I apoligise if im coming on as an elitist jerk. Not my intention. In WoW I didnt raid, I didnt have top gear. I did have fun getting my char up in levels and better gear asI leveld. Just not Raid purples.

MMOs are about time invested. Theres a grind. IF I dont invest my time into an MMO, why should I get top geaar compared to someone who did.

I undrstand about char progression, but why should a casual have the same gear compared to a hardcore player. Yes, its time invested.

Lets say a player takes the time to get a raid together, takes the time to make sure everyones ready to take on a hard boss. Why should a player who only logs in a few hours be given the same gear top gear? It can take hours just in preparation to get a good raid together. Hours to get a good dungeon run. Not just  a PUG that may or may not finish it.

I apoligise if im coming on as an elitist jerk. Not my intention. In WoW I didnt raid, I didnt have top gear. I did have fun getting my char up in levels and better gear asI leveld. Just not Raid purples.

MMOs are about time invested. Theres a grind. IF I dont invest my time into an MMO, why should I get top geaar compared to someone who did.

thing is people complain about the hardcore because they can play for longer and get top gear first, then the casuals have to catch up, but they never really catch up because the hardcore have not only top gear but is rich, then new content appears next week hardcore is full geared again and with the money they spend to upgrade buy things faster and the casual is catching up for the first gear still, then casuals start to cry hardcores are breaking the game and the hardcore hate this cry.

new content and they make the first part easyer then hardcore most of time don't care, some will complain about it, casuals will complain about the complains, toss it the pvp aspect of the game then you have a river of crybabys and pricks all over the place,

TL; DR? don't matter if you are hardcore or casual people will complain if all are given its too easy, if you have to work they have "life" and can't spend playing the game.

• rpg_gunnerrpg_gunner Member Posts: 80
    It really depends on the time you put into these games. A very small percentage for better items comes from luck on monster drops. But playing more does increase the odds for you. 
  • IrondustIrondust Member Posts: 29

Stop thinking in Wow categories. Hardcore/casual in Archeage it's not just about better/worse gear. It is completely different gameplays.

Casual players in AA will have their house, garden, little ship to travel around with friends, trading, exploring and treasure hunting, they will participate in boss batlles and PvP events like common members.

Hardcore players in AA will engaging in politics, clan wars, castle management, handling with members of the clan and large wars, will make top PvP groups and top Raid for killing bosses. It isn't about "I'm farming for 12 hours and have better gear than you, who farming for 3 hours", it's completely different gamestyle, more responsible , when they should be ready to wake up in 3.A.M just because their clan was attacked and need them, for instance.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Irondust

Stop thinking in Wow categories. Hardcore/casual in Archeage it's not just about better/worse gear. It is completely different gameplays.

Casual players in AA will have their house, garden, little ship to travel around with friends, trading, exploring and treasure hunting, they will participate in boss batlles and PvP events like common members.

Hardcore players in AA will engaging in politics, clan wars, castle management, handling with members of the clan and large wars, will make top PvP groups and top Raid for killing bosses. It isn't about "I'm farming for 12 hours and have better gear than you, who farming for 3 hours", it's completely different gamestyle, more responsible , when they should be ready to wake up in 3.A.M just because their clan was attacked and need them, for instance.

If you wake up at 3 AM for the sake of the game, you are not being responsible where it matters.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

If you wake up at 3 AM for the sake of the game, you are not being responsible where it matters.

Like where?

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Like where?

Family, work, politics and scientific research.  It is often irresponsible to not sleep properly due to how they affect those areas.

Family, work, politics and scientific research.  It is often irresponsible to not sleep properly due to how they affect those areas.

Well, hardcore gamers aren't politicians, scientists or good family men, so i don't see anything wrong

Well, hardcore gamers aren't politicians, scientists or good family men, so i don't see anything wrong

or don't know sleep earlyer? also note not everyone need 8 hours of sleep, I work well with 5-6 hours, had a professor who only sleep 4 hours and he was good, other did 2-3 hours, course this last one the moment he stoped queit he would sleep :p

if someone want to wake up 3 am for a siege go for it, I did a lot of all night during weekend for sneak attack or because since the server was more empty I could farm for bosses

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

I know what you mean however if you note i said its not actually about hours played, in themeparks (for example) a casual player actually means someone who does not do scheduled events for 3+ time blocks (usually).   A casual player can (and often does) do more hours than the hardcore player - 'casual' is a devisive term used by those trying to protect personal interests.   

In other words skill & hours played does not equal best rewards, best rewards = those who commit big blocks of time - regardless of how good or bad they are get the best rewards.  The rich get richer, its an old disease.  In themeparks having best rewards means you have the ability to simply overpowqer those with greater skill, which is flawed and turns a game into gear > player mess.

This should not matter as much in a Sandbox, sop Archage should be ok, much like Eve is ok.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D