Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the real DAOC2 please stand up

So...Camelot Unchained...pretty obvious it will be DAOC2...if the Kickstarter is successful and game gets released...where will that leave TESO?

I mean, they seem to have designed the game around the DAOC format but if someone actually releases a proper successor to DAOC will that leave TESO out in the cold? Have they deviated too far away from the PvE TES fanbase, included too much of a PvP influence and generalised too much of the TES gameplay to MMO'ify it?

Thoughts?

Comments

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

Honestly mate.....

TESO is TESO

DaoC unchained is DaoC unchained. Thats it.

2 Pair of shoes.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's a big IF.

Mmos need lots of money, I'm not sure kickstarter is the right place to fund a mmo. Better than EA sure, but other than that I think youre better pitching to a producer.
  • NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    No PVE sounds very exciting if they can meet the goals, I got a few hundred bucks to burn for this to happen. Some people love edler scrolls, not sure this is a good place to start a topic since it will draw flames possibly.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

IF Camelot Unchained gets funded your still looking at maybe a 2016 release date at the earliest.

It seems its in the concept stage / Idea stage at this point. After the funding I would imagine at least a 3-4 year development time.

I think TESO will be fine. How threatened could it be from a game thats still in concept.?

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Mark Jacobs isn't thought of very highly in the (ex-)DAOCer community, so it's premature to assume this game will meet its kickstarter goals and see the light of day.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Seems a bit late to me. Jacobs had his chance and decided to do Warhammer Online instead, a game that felt nothing like DAoC. He went 2-sided with symetrical classes and umpteen underpopulated RvR "lakes" all over the place.

Now that TESO is well underway with major money (and no need for panhadling funding) and looks like the real DAOC II he sees the error of his ways and wants to do the real DAoC II? When he still had DAoC to direct he decided to change it intead of enhancing it... and killed it in the process.

I'm extremely skeptical about Camelot Unchained amounting to much... TESO, otoh, is well underway.

TESO is the real DAoC  II.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Iselin

Seems a bit late to me. Jacobs had his chance and decided to do Warhammer Online instead, a game that felt nothing like DAoC. He went 2-sided with symetrical classes and umpteen underpopulated RvR "lakes" all over the place.

Now that TESO is well underway with major money (and no need for panhadling funding) and looks like the real DAOC II he sees the error of his ways and wants to do the real DAoC II? When he still had DAoC to direct he decided to change it intead of enhancing it... and killed it in the process.

I'm extremely skeptical about Camelot Unchained amounting to much... TESO, otoh, is well underway.

Good speech tho!

but if TESO is the real DaoC 2.....hmm....we will see. Time will tell.

Fact is, that he fucked it up with WAR. True. But there was EA involved. So....hmm...

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

So...Camelot Unchained...pretty obvious it will be DAOC2...if the Kickstarter is successful and game gets released...where will that leave TESO?

Remember that one last year, with the aliens, went vaporware and vanished?

By this point, after all of these different developers have promised to "pick up the ball" and failed to deliver, you're not just a little bit skeptical...

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Wasn't rob denton and then Jeff hickman in charge of war?
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

I mean, they seem to have designed the game around the DAOC format but if someone actually releases a proper successor to DAOC will that leave TESO out in the cold? Have they deviated too far away from the PvE TES fanbase, included too much of a PvP influence and generalised too much of the TES gameplay to MMO'ify it?

Thoughts?

Well Camelot Unchained isn't even to the kickstarter yet and has a LONG way to go before it ever see's light of day if it ever does. Its still headed by Mark Jacobs who IMO destroyed DAoC with TOA. Opinions of course will vary with this but after the whole trails of Atlantis bit I'm less willing to support more of the same only under a different developer.

In the end TESO is TESO and will succeed or fail on its own merits and at least will be out years before Camelot unchained so no reason not to give it a shot, not like the 2 will be competing at leaast not for several more years.

Originally posted by Ilaya

Good speech tho!

but if TESO is the real DaoC 2.....hmm....we will see. Time will tell.

Fact is, that he fucked it up with WAR. True. But there was EA involved. So....hmm...

EA had nothing to do with the design. They came in when the game was practically done and threw some much needed money at them. All the idea's about what kind of game WAR was came from Jacobs and friends.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Wasn't rob denton and then Jeff hickman in charge of war?

The way I hear it, when Jacobs is involved everyone works for him.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

^this^

Said better then i ever could

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by winter

^this^

Said better then i ever could

Ah, and the war is ready to get under way, while ALL of the (potential) products are still vapor...!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    It's only a good thing for us if they feel the pressure of having to do better than "the other game".
  • CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

What... we're taking Mark "Bloated Toad" Jacobs seriously now?

Hes still and arrogant and full of himself... bloated like a toad in mating season... only difference is, hes not a toad that fucks, hes a toad that fucks everything up. Like I said before he has the oposite gift of Midas. Everything Midas thouched turned to gold, everything Mark Jacobs touches turns to shit.

And yes, like the above poster said, EVERYONE works for Jacobs, Jacobs works for NOONE. Its like a really sad Chuck Norris of video games...

(...)Do you see this as the spiritual successor to Dark Age of Camelot?

No, not really. While legally I would be able to make a spiritual successor to Dark Age of Camelot,"

Yes well Mark, anyone can make a "spiritual successor of anything"... now to involve "legal matters" you have to actually use the IP, so it wont be "spiritual" and no, legally you CAN'T do a DAoC 2 because its not owned by you... its owned by the guys that, you know... (lets use Jacobisms here) "let go free" from EA (because we all know that King Jacobs is NEVER fired... he is... let go... to be free... like a bird... yes that bird... the same bird that shits in your shiny hood right after the car wash).

And... damn lawyers, its not a "spiritual successor", but it has 3 factions, Arthur, an Elf and Vikings, same ip, pvp centered and it has Camelot in the name... and its on the "Arthurian Era"... or to make it simple, brets, hibs and Mids. But... with different names... but you know... he could legally named them that but he just doesnt want to because... you know... he's Mark "Sargeant Awesome" Jacobs and better than to do something, is to KNOW that you COULD do if you wanted to, but you choose not to! Thats the Jacobs Way.

I dont really like EA... but I would love if EA got some ground to sue his bloated ass - I think if you design a car like a Mercedes-benz but you only call it Mercedes or only Benz you can still get a hit from Daimler AG. Hope he gets roughened up by EA.

Ending the trailer... "You thought you'd be rid of the J-Virus... you were wrong. It's back"

Damn this free world that still allows Jacobs to own companies, specially game companies. I just hope hes a better lawyer than game director...

EDIT: Oh yes, and now he makes this announcement after The Elder Scrolls announcement which is made also by a former DAoC game director. Community started calling TESO "DAoC 2 in different ip" and he thought "damn this is a great opportunity for me to bring DAoC back, since everyone is talking about DAoC now, but I'll bring them the real ip... its perfect plan, PURRFECT. Mwahahah.... <looks in mirror> whos the hunkiest guy huh? Mighty Mark... oh yes you are... oh marky you've done it again - LETS FIGHT ZENIMAX AND BETHESDA mwahahaha... BUT I wont say its DAoC successor, nor that I'm even trying to make something like DAoC... because if I fuck up, which will happen <chuckles> I cant be directly blamed for it and I can deflect any incoming blow - I will be untouchable!... mwaha... MWAHA. mwaHAHAHA"

Damn its so funny to get into his fucked up mind and be Mark Jacobs... its like you're some sort of Satan's little idiot helper 1 feet tall with a silly voice that always fucks everything up trying to get the master's throne... yet the master puts up with him because hes not a menace and isnt worth the trouble of burning...

Oh Mark... you've done it again, you bad boy!

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    The battle of 3 faction games is gonna be great. Bad for my wallet and social life though.
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

lol any of you guys with daggers out for Mark Jacobs like to point at the doll and show me where the bad man touched you....

I find it funny people are bigging up Matt Firor for his involvement in TESO but putting down Mark Jacobs here when it was Mark that designed DAOC and Matt was the producer. I obviously am missing something...

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

TESO isn't really like DAoC....

Sure it has 3 factions, and one RVR area that all three fight in. However it ends there.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

lol any of you guys with daggers out for Mark Jacobs like to point at the doll and show me where the bad man touched you....

I find it funny people are bigging up Matt Firor for his involvement in TESO but putting down Mark Jacobs here when it was Mark that designed DAOC and Matt was the producer. I obviously am missing something...

Good thing I respect both of these men, even if we don't always see eye to eye :) They are truly talented people, both of them, so no need for all you guys to draw knives like Mael said.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Problem with Jacobs is that I feel I can't trust him.  I remember some of the pre-launch Warhammer Online stuff he said.  It went a little more than hype.  Either he was delusional about the game he was leading or he was lying to the gaming community.  Either way, it's not a good sign.
  • CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

Jacobs was Executive producer in DAoC at its launch... Firor was producer. Then Jacobs moved (after failing hard with Trials of Atlantis and major overhaul trying to go after WoW) from DAoC and Firor became Executive producer during Catacombs and after in Labyrith of the Minotaur. See a pattern?

And btw... Jacobs cant "design" a straight like if you ask him to. Btw... hes a lawyer, lawyers just dont "design". They "bend" and "distort"... some do it well and are praised for it, and I respect those. Mark... well... hes just the "80s car salesman" of the Video Game Industry.

Put it simple: He acts, talks and brags like a con man. Which he is. You just cant trust Mark "1word1lie" Jacobs

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

I have yet to put faith in Kickstarted MMOs. As of yet, none have proven they have what it takes to make it. I hope they do but without the backing of a company thats fully funded, Im not sure how well they will do. I will say I am sick of companies like EA but proof so far is in the pudding. I am looking info ESO but there is not enough info out yet on both games to say who will be better. 

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Sure about all that Crazy? I know wiki isn't the best resource but it seems like Matt was Exec producer for TOA while Mark was Lead design for TOA. If TOA is the problem shouldn't both of them be a target? Again, i don't really undestand where the problem lies but the anger I find odd and kind of psycho!
  • uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128
    DAoC was boring.