Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hoping Tera Rising would be more Community based

BigbadwlfBigbadwlf Member UncommonPosts: 117

I just want to say that I’m a long time MMO player.  My first MMO was FFXI, and I’ve played nearly every MMO and ORPG that has come out since, finally settling on Tera Online.  I was originally satisfied with the subscription + chrono scroll model for the game, but I felt that the game simply did not have enough content at launch to warrant a continued subscription and so I quit.

Even though 8 months later I feel Tera is still light on content, the fact that the game is now F2P has excited me enough to come back.  I think Tera really does have a chance to succeed in this competitive MMO market, if it tries to advertise itself as a community based MMO.  Part of the reason why I left World of Warcraft after 3+ years of fun, was that I realized I didn’t make a single real friend in that game.  It was really just a gear based game, with a treadmill endgame where grouping was simply an inconvenience to character progression.  I feel that sort of mentality is the anti-thesis of a community based MMO, and it seems that most MMOs follow this trend, and I’m hoping Tera Rising goes in the opposite direction.

I believe that Tera can really shine as a community based game because it has features that no other MMOs have.  

1. The tank, melee dps, ranged dps, healer classes are a lot more simplified and a lot more balanced in Tera compared to most MMOs.  Usually before you can tank or heal you have to min/max your stats and gear properly before you could actually play your character.  Making all the classes viable lowers the bar of entry into this game compared to other MMOs.
  2. The Vanarch system and Guild vs Guild PvP makes the reputation of your guild and other guilds actually an important part of  your character’s endgame
  3.  Farming BAMs is really group content done right. Widely available, completely optional, and a lot of fun.
  4. The combination of the game’s amazing graphics and its F2P structure will definitely keep steady influx of players running around, willing to give this game a try.

To me, FFXI and EVE Online were the last MMOs that emphasized social skills over gear progression.  I think there’s definitely a demand for MMOs where player interaction is the focus and not a necessary evil, and I’m hoping that Tera Rising becomes that game.

Comments

• Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167

You might be interested in Firefall. It is an open world shooter that focuses heavily on community/group events. It's still in development (closed beta) but they are doing and plan on doing some really amazing things. The community is also great so far.

Tera has possibly the worst community I've seen in an extremely long time, maybe a decade. Unfortunate as I like the game a lot.

• BigbadwlfBigbadwlf Member UncommonPosts: 117

Well,  I think it's better to give Tera one more chance before moving to another MMO.

It's true that the original  english Tera community was really obnoxious, but I'm hoping that the fresh new servers will bring in a different crowd of players.

• Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Of course, I'm still playing it now and even got a friend to play with me that didn't want to subscribe previously. It's fun, the community is just awful for the most part. I do hope it brings in better people but they'll likely all be on the new servers. Not sure if I want to transfer yet.
  • BigbadwlfBigbadwlf Member UncommonPosts: 117

Well, I rerolled on an English PvE server, I can't help but feel that the NA community is slightly better than the EU one.  I feel that the hate for the EU publisher Gameforge just puts everybody in a bad mood, despite the game itself playing pretty identical to each other.

What really needs to be fixed is this UI lag that's going around.  It's in both versions of the game and it's a lot more noticiable in Tera with it's action combat based mechanics than other MMOs.  I was able to fix my version by editing the S1engine.ini file, but they need to apply a universal fix for everybody.  Getting this game to work with Steam also would be do wonders to attract a better community.

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    i met a few people while playing tera online...you know u be out there and see someone and u guys kill a few bams etc. then afterwards u go on questing together. its not the most social mmorpg out there but it is a hell of alot better than say GW2.  the problem is with mmorpgs is that alot of the game u can solo. 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by shingoukieh
    i met a few people while playing tera online...you know u be out there and see someone and u guys kill a few bams etc. then afterwards u go on questing together. its not the most social mmorpg out there but it is a hell of alot better than say GW2.  the problem is with mmorpgs is that alot of the game u can solo. 

This is one of the things I really like about the game and totally agree on. Its one of those special mmo factors thats been lost over the years and I am really glad that Tera has it. Also the community is not the world / area chat. Dont look at that and say the community is bad because really its not. Join a guild and go out and meet people.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by Bigbadwlf

Well,  I think it's better to give Tera one more chance before moving to another MMO.

It's true that the original  english Tera community was really obnoxious, but I'm hoping that the fresh new servers will bring in a different crowd of players.

LOL if you can speak 119 different languages and write it..You should be good to go..Like all Free to play games it brings in the trash...Hue,hue,hue,Jajajaja...

I retired retroactively..Haha

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by shingoukieh

Its a good thing that you can solo to hold people hands at every turn is ridiculous..image

I retired retroactively..Haha