Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera Europe goes P2W

eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

A sad day for Tera, the game goes P2W.

Items like MW Alkahest will be cash shop only aside of some drops from pve instances (or the instance finder?).

That means a player that wants to be competive most likely need to gamble with real money. After all MW Alkahest does not have a 100% chance but a lot lower one. That means players with bad luck may need to buy 100s of alkahest packages with his credit card/paypal account before they got their gear enchanted.

If you ask me, gambling with real money to get better gear is the WORST implementation of P2W you could ask for.

There is still some hope since the MW Alkahest is sellable on broker, meaning that game forge legalized real money trading (RMT). If enough people buy their gold using a credit card the market might get flooded with MW Alkahest meaning prices will stay low, thus you could also gamble with the real money of other players.

I find this a terrible change but there's no real hope that GF changes their mind. Pay To Win is generating large amounts of money for the publisher in PVP games and it most likely will do the same thing in Tera.

(http://mmopals.com/updates/tera-going-free-to-play-f2p-or-pay-to-win-p2w/)

LFG!

Comments

• Black-DogBlack-Dog Member Posts: 18
    Why do you post like its today its gone f2p...? its not till feb
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    If they are also available in game, at the same chance, then it is not p2w.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    They  said it will be changed yes but i doubt they will be only avaible from the shop.

Tera NA just released this information: http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/Update-on-Common-Enigmatic-Scrolls-Spellbinds-and-Masterwork-Alkahests since Tera EU will follow the same model, i think its fine, they also won't add these items to the shop for now. Ontop of the enchanting changes to make enchanting easier there will also mw and preenchated Gear that drops in dungeons and for pvp from the pvp vendor.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Things will change, not sure if they'll go P2W or not.

If you can simply buy your way to MW+12 compared to spending weeks/months making one it'll get unbalanced and P2W rather quick.

If GameForge truly follows Enmasse we don't have anything to worry about. Then again if GF starts to see dimes in their eyes it's goooodbye TERA EU :j

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by Black-Dog

I posted it when it was officially confirmed. Why would you wait until it's F2P and too late to warn the people buying accounts so they have veteran status?

LFG!

Since they added the lockbox system from GW2 you can gamble for MW alks in a sense.

But the keys are really expensive so I doubt people will be spending too much on them.

Tera EU is basically a F2P game with a sub that gives you some boosts and an insanely expensive cash shop if you wish to put some more money on top of that.

This said it's completely playable as F2P and you can stay competitive without putting any money in the game.

But the possibility of going heavy spender still exists.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by eHug
    Originally posted by Black-Dog

I posted it when it was officially confirmed. Why would you wait until it's F2P and too late to warn the people buying accounts so they have veteran status?

Good point, its always best to know exactly what your buying into beforehand, than after the fact. image

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Since they added the lockbox system from GW2 you can gamble for MW alks in a sense.

But the keys are really expensive so I doubt people will be spending too much on them.

Tera EU is basically a F2P game with a sub that gives you some boosts and an insanely expensive cash shop if you wish to put some more money on top of that.

This said it's completely playable as F2P and you can stay competitive without putting any money in the game.

I might not have gotten you right, but how do you stay competive without having +12 gear? The MW ranks add major stats improvements. And from what GameForge (and EME) announced MW only has a low chance to be earned ingame, it has been removed from the npcs and will be available only at the cash store in larger amounts. Which means cash shop will be the major source for MW alkahest from now on.

The only hope the game has at the moment is people buying MW Alkest and MW scrolls at the cash store to sell them for ingame gold. Due to the giant amounts of money required to get decent end game gear, the cash shop might feed the auction house indirectly giving players half way normal prices.

LFG!
    Korea had the same changes and MW Alkahest and MW scrolls are now way cheaper on the Broker there then they where bevore from NPC Shop.
    Originally posted by tet666
    Korea had the same changes and MW Alkahest and MW scrolls are now way cheaper on the Broker there then they where bevore from NPC Shop.

That's because koreans play 30hrs/day and farm those bad boys up so the broker is stacked with them.

I might not have gotten you right, but how do you stay competive without having +12 gear? The MW ranks add major stats improvements. And from what GameForge (and EME) announced MW only has a low chance to be earned ingame, it has been removed from the npcs and will be available only at the cash store in larger amounts. Which means cash shop will be the major source for MW alkahest from now on.

The only hope the game has at the moment is people buying MW Alkest and MW scrolls at the cash store to sell them for ingame gold. Due to the giant amounts of money required to get decent end game gear, the cash shop might feed the auction house indirectly giving players half way normal prices.

The chances of getting MW alks is quite high. People are farming ET and getting lots of them. Also at the moment they are not going to put MW alks in the cash shop so only way of getting them is through playing or buying from other players (+ the lockboxes).

Sure you can boost your way through just like using RMT for in-game gold but it definately doens't block anyone from competitive gaming.

The chances of getting MW alks is quite high. People are farming ET and getting lots of them. Also at the moment they are not going to put MW alks in the cash shop so only way of getting them is through playing or buying from other players (+ the lockboxes).

Sure you can boost your way through just like using RMT for in-game gold but it definately doens't block anyone from competitive gaming.

How many are "lots of them" and do you have any rough numbers on how high "quite high" is? I neeed more then 2000 alkahest for +10 to +12 on my last set, would be interessting to find out how many runs that would be.

LFG!

How many are "lots of them" and do you have any rough numbers on how high "quite high" is? I neeed more then 2000 alkahest for +10 to +12 on my last set, would be interessting to find out how many runs that would be.

That'll take you awhile. But I'd say you need to farm them and spend gold on broker to actually get those 2k alks. They did improve the enchanting giving you a better chance for upgrading everytime you fail the enchant so it'll take less alks to enchant a full set.

But basically you get Alks for playing the endgame and you got higher chances for success now. Also dungeons drop MW'ed items now so selling those will earn you few pieces aswell.

That'll take you awhile. But I'd say you need to farm them and spend gold on broker to actually get those 2k alks. They did improve the enchanting giving you a better chance for upgrading everytime you fail the enchant so it'll take less alks to enchant a full set.

But basically you get Alks for playing the endgame and you got higher chances for success now. Also dungeons drop MW'ed items now so selling those will earn you few pieces aswell.

I wish I could force myself to do these boring dungeons anymore :(

After 100+ FOK runs and at least the same number of queen runs along with several instance nerfs I got so sick of this boring easy mode crap that I never did them again. All I did in the last months was open world pking (i didn't find many ppl though) and BG runs where i bought the random reward to sell the stuff that came from it on broker.

Well i'll watch how it works out. If MW item are cheaper or same price as previous NPC I might be playing some more, if getting gear gonna be a lot harder if i keep playing a pvp oriented game I'll just move on.

LFG!
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

This is a troll thread. The game is not P2W in any way more than GW2 is (lockboxes and keys, sound familiar?)

The only current problem with TERA is that the servers can't hold the incredible amount of players trying to log in.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

German server is a mess atm 1+ Hour Queues, Lags and so on, i heard its way worse on the international servers.

Tomorrow Gameforge will open 3 new Servers but without free transfers i somehow doubt this will help mutch...

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

You misread the info.  What they said was "Master Work ITEMS will have a low chance to drop now".  Thats MW weapons & armor minus the + on them.  This is new because MW items never was on the drop list before.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Everyone begs and pleads for games to go F2P, so they can play without paying a dime.  Then instantly complain when they give any form of advantage to those who are paying for them to be able to play for free.

There are certain cash shop systems that offer wallet warrior advantages with no ceiling on how much you can pay to redeem advantages...those are the bad p2w.  What people call p2w these days is any old advantage, even if there a limit to how much you can get out of that small payment.

Games where endgame pro's are thousands of dollars into the game are the ones that i stay away from.  Games that give me a small advantage for $50 worth of spending, without much need for any more investment other than cosmetics, im fine with.

In fact, with an item mall game im not going to spend unless it gives me some form of advantage over those who refuse to pay for entertainment. I just dont want to get into a wallet war.  Hope that makes sense.

If they sell items that are rare drops, im fine with that...i can only use so many drops and after that it becomes moot if you spend more.  Thats fine.

I think its so sad that so many people want the game to be fair like a P2P game, but refuse to pay a single cent towards the game they play so much. Wonder how these no paying players feel when a game shuts down due to not making enough to keep running...do they even care?

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    i had brought TERA EU CE. and gave up after some months... will i be able to play again with my current client or i have to download a new client?  
    You can play with your old account, in Veteran status (means you'll gain some perks compared to F2P people, mostly more bank space and extra character slots).

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

I am deeply dissapointed. I downloaded the game, and was looking forward to spending an obscene amount of money, just so that I could brag about winning... However, when I got in game, I found that not only had they not launched the cash shop... but that this was basically a lame attempt to get people to pay monthly fees.

I am deeply dissapointed in the quality of todays trolls. In my day didnt troll a game until AFTER it had done someting trollable. You didnt simply 'guess' what they 'might' do in order to be the first to troll. There was an art to trolling, none of this spam approach of decrying every possible mistake, before it happens, on the off chance that you might get one right.

Sigh...

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

OP made me think they were gonna make it so you couldn't by alkhaest with in gamemoney, lol.

It's not P2W mr uneducated, it's called "speed-up character progression". 

If you want an idea of what P2W really is, go check out Atlantica Online, there are items you can ONLY BUY ON THE CASH SHOP that make your char stronger.

I already reported this thread for trolling and false information/besmirching. It got locked and then opened again for some reason...

But yeah I can also confirm that Akahest drops all the time while killing world mobs, and even more in dungeons. It's nothing even close to P2W. It's just that if you have a hurry for gathering a large amount of Akahest you can buy it in the shop, but really? The Broker is filled with Akahest listings, so I don't really see much need for it unless you prefer to farm money in real life instead of in TERA.

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer
    You can play with your old account, in Veteran status (means you'll gain some perks compared to F2P people, mostly more bank space and extra character slots).

Yes i understand i can play the game normaly.. what im not sure is if i have to download a new client to be able to play now .. 

seems that my instalation does not work.. try to upgrade but stay at 0% is the something i should know about?