Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo clone

12346»

Comments

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Maybe but I will stick with Diablo III

• daydreamerxxdaydreamerxx Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Its not a diablo clone. It is a type of game, a genre. Get over it. Plus PoE does a ton different than all other games of this genre. Kthxbai.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by daydreamerxx
    Its not a diablo clone. It is a type of game, a genre. Get over it. Plus PoE does a ton different than all other games of this genre. Kthxbai.

so the fact that it looks and feels exactly like diablo doesn't make it a diablo clone?

there are ARPG's out there that are nowhere near this close to ripping off diablo.

if this isn't a clone then no game is a clone. yes it has a few different core features but they obviously ripped off a heck of a lot of things directly from diablo.

character selection, the overall dark and gritty feel of the game, the UI is almost exactly the same, waypoints, town portals, randomized monsters and elites with randomized special powers and resists, i could go on and on.

honestly, it would be much easier to name the few things that poe does differently than diablo.

so some of you guys can stick your head in the sand and pretend that this isn't a diablo clone all you want to.

but its not changing the fact that this is indeed a gigantic diablo rip off and a good one too IMO lol (at least so far)

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by baphamet

so the fact that it looks and feels exactly like diablo doesn't make it a diablo clone?

there are ARPG's out there that are nowhere near this close to ripping off diablo.

if this isn't a clone then no game is a clone. yes it has a few different core features but they obviously ripped off a heck of a lot of things directly from diablo.

character selection, the overall dark and gritty feel of the game, the UI is almost exactly the same, waypoints, town portals, randomized monsters and elites with randomized special powers and resists, i could go on and on.

honestly, it would be much easier to name the few things that poe does differently than diablo.

so some of you guys can stick your head in the sand and pretend that this isn't a diablo clone all you want to.

but its not changing the fact that this is indeed a gigantic diablo rip off and a good one too IMO lol (at least so far)

Most of us are well aware and have even stated that we know GGG took many elements from D2 - anyone with any semblance of intelligence and/or consciousness can clearly see that. But that still doesn't make it a "complete D2 ripoff" and you're delusional if you really believe that. Either that, or you're a drama queen and exaggeration is your thing.

But whatever man. Keep on avoiding thorough posts (like Zezda's) that lay your weak argument to waste. It's been mildly entertaining to watch.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Downloaded this game late last night and played till 6 am, it was much more fun than I thought it would be!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

So because it's an ARPG it's a D2 'clone'?

Torchlight must be a D2 clone then, it has a character select, a similar UI, waypoints, town portals and randomized monsters too!

Star Trek Online is just a clone of EVE as well while we are at it using your dodgy reasoning.. I mean it's got spaceships and you fight other spaceships and you have a character even though most of the time you don't see them! They even both have a market/auction system in place as well!!!!

I like how you still haven't took me up on my offer of explaining why it's a ripoff other than sticking your fingers in your ears and going 'BUT IT LOOKS THE SAME!!!'

But then again, why would we bother using facts and reasoning to explain something when you can just type the same thing 50 times until people get bored and stop responding. How about you spend 5 minutes and tell us what makes it a ripoff in some level of detail without resorting to citing features that are considered very standard for any ARPG, especially point and click ones.

Until you do that then you have no argument whatsoever.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by SwissToni
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    WoW, Diablo and Blizzard cloned 1st Edition Dungeons and Dragons.

Made me laugh...awesome! 

Fun Fact: 1st edition of Dungeons and Dragons was complete garbage.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by Crunchy222
    Originally posted by aleos

i dont see any double standard. i see a game filling a space that was left empty.

all anyone ever wanted was Diablo 2 in HD, at least thats all i wanted.. not a carebear overhaul to appease a greater audiance. So unlike this new diablo. Path of Exile actually allows me to allocate skill points. it doesnt do it for me. And the ability to use ANY power i flippin want by meeting basic requirements and an open slot on my weapons or armor that i can remove and replace at any time with no charge or hassel. sign me up.

have you even seen that skill tree? its glorious..

Did i mention its free.

More people play D3 than POE.

More people listen to justin bieber than to real music.....give PoE some of the million for marketing and the staff of developers under the lead of chris and lets see what GGG comes up with compared to D3.

The game mechanics are deeper than any other blizzard game and the game itself feels like a D3 because it has the core mechanics with enhanced gameplay. While WoW startet with an idea ( World of WARCRAFT....do you actually see any warcraft ?) and got more and more simplified lacking any deep gameplay. You grind through the contant and thats it, no freedome nothing.

Thats why WoW clones are so hated because they throw in another casual mass market game, basicly they open ANOTHER Mc donalds rather than a new restaurant

• tomato_kwantomato_kwan Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Niburu
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

More people play D3 than POE.

More people listen to justin bieber than to real music.....give PoE some of the million for marketing and the staff of developers under the lead of chris and lets see what GGG comes up with compared to D3.

I laughed out loud here.

Even when PoE is a clone of Diablo, it's still a better game than D3, period.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

not saying this is a bad game but why is it that if a game is labeled a "wow clone" its automatically hated on but this game being a diablo clone gets praise?

not only is this game a diablo clone, some of it is a direct rip off.

from character selection to the inventory panel to the UI (and this is just from playing the game for 10 minutes, there is probably much more)

its actually pretty funny how blatantly they ripped off diablo.

whatever happened to these indie companies being more creative? isn't that why so many of you support them? or is it just because you hate the big companies like blizzard that make tons of money?

i am not trying to post flame bait, but the double standard just seems odd to me.

to make it short: WoW is crap, so a WoW clone is an insult. D2 was godly, and thereby a D2 clone is a good thing. whats there not to understand?

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by moosecatlol

Made me laugh...awesome! 

Tunnels and Trolls all the way... ^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnels_%26_Trolls

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Zefire

not saying this is a bad game but why is it that if a game is labeled a "wow clone" its automatically hated on but this game being a diablo clone gets praise?

not only is this game a diablo clone, some of it is a direct rip off.

from character selection to the inventory panel to the UI (and this is just from playing the game for 10 minutes, there is probably much more)

its actually pretty funny how blatantly they ripped off diablo.

whatever happened to these indie companies being more creative? isn't that why so many of you support them? or is it just because you hate the big companies like blizzard that make tons of money?

i am not trying to post flame bait, but the double standard just seems odd to me.

Once you realise how awesome the mechanics of this game are you will throw your diablo 3 box to the garbage just like kripparrian did.

At the beggining i was saying that this game has no chances even against the crap game diablo 3 but after iu played it for a while i realised that poe is 100 times better than diablo 3.

Sure diablo 2 was a great game and diablo 3 ruined everything we knew but poe is here to give us back that oldschool feeling.

For those saying that combat is slow etc wait till you gain some lvls and see for your self how slow the combat is,otherwise look some streaming on twitch.tv and you will get the idea.

I see poe becoming a huge success over the years for an arpg and it's the best on the market right now.

this!

PoE is fun as hell to play , has a depth gameplay ,pvp (with ladder) , no p2w , and its free ! what more u can ask for?

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

I think the thing to really take away from this is that there is a large difference between what we consider good clones and bad.  A bad clone takes a good ideal and adds little, or nothing, to it.  A good clone takes a good ideal and expands on it, making everything about its success larger and grander than before.  Path of Exile took a style, both artistic and gameplay, and drove it forward.  Its the very same reason that WoW was a success in the first place.  They took the core concepts of the EQ style MMO game and expanded on it and added to it in a way that made in more fun to play.  Then Blizzard forgot that this was the reason they owned THAT market, and failed to apply it to D3. 

Its not the fact that a game is cloning positive aspects of another that we hate.  Its the lack of innovation and drive AFTER the fact we hate.  PoE took the D2 formula for success and souped the engine up then added some Nitrous and flashy lights to the undercarriage.  We LIKE that.  For all the talk otherwise, I don't really think we expect someone to reinvent the wheel here.  But we do expect them to make it last longer and work better with each new model.  With the average WoW clone, its the opposite.  You get the bare bones of a good game, with all the pretty lights said game has stripped away.  Its like replacing a rubber racing tire with a spoked wagon wheel.  YAY!  They both make stuff roll forward!  Just make sure you have a carpenter before you ford the river, I dunno about you guys but my trips to Oregon usually cost me about 3 of those things each time. 

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by moosecatlol

Made me laugh...awesome! 

Tunnels and Trolls all the way... ^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnels_%26_Trolls

Yeah that's good stuff not many remember those old PnP "Dungeon Crawl" games.  I used 1st Edition D&D as a reference simply because very few gamers today even know the roots of todays MMORPGs.

Remember Star Frontiers by TSR?  Or how about James Bond and Runequest from Victory Games?

• eyeqdkeyeqdk Member UncommonPosts: 37

Lets look at it this way. 

U just had s*x (kinky time with a GF or BF) for the first time...  it was OK, but it was not good. This is how i see Diablo 3

But i did it in the same way, like i did it with my old GF, --- lets say Diablo 2.... wich were alot better

But then, 12 month later, i find new GF, and start having kinky time with her. Yes, we doing the same thing, but now its better, ALOT better.  Thats how i see PoE

Its hard to make hack and slash game, that does not look like diablo1. coz there are ALOT of games, that look the same way.  but they are not the same...