Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Through the Flame and Frost!

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    The people are not unsocial, just join a massive guild of guilds. Re map chat it's a common problem with all mmorgs it does my head in, , most are chatting away in guild chat and don't watch map chat, but do you notice there is at least no anti social morons swearing and being obnoxious in city chat compared to other games.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

Well I logged in today for the first time since right before Christmas. I had some fun for a bit.. Tried to spark up some conversation with people in just area shout chat, one person responded a few times other than that nothing. I dont understand why this game is so unsociable. More and more games are becoming like this.. Which is killing MMOs for me. I used to make friends in them.

GW2 is one of the worst yet for social interaction. I am thinking of returning to TERA I left  that game not because I didnt like it or even because i got bored. I left it due to RL issues that were going on at the time. By the time I was able to play again my friends were all amped over GW2.. now they are all just spread  out everwhere.

What I will say about GW2. Beautiful world, some fun gameplay, some good stories. but the unsocial people that play it are turning me off. As for this content patch. What does it matter if you dont make friends to play along with.

action combat is going to = less talking.. how do you have time to talk it up while dodging from that champion who will one shot you with anyone of its attacks? i found if people aren't engaged in combat most of the time you can get a conversation going.. it's not hard ot join a guild either.. i'm personally in 4 guilds and can always find at least a couple people chatting it up in guild chat.. honestly i'm such a slow leveler because i spend way to much of my time in game just talking instead of actually playing heh.. just because a game doesn't "require" social interaction for a lot of it doesn't mean people aren't willing to talk and have a conversation and help people out.

This pretty much. Not to mention there are plenty of programs out there that guilds use to chat rather than typing. I know my guild rarely chats in game because we are in mumble. Other than that I answer questions in map chat when I catch one. I can imagine this is normal.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by FlawSGI

Well I logged in today for the first time since right before Christmas. I had some fun for a bit.. Tried to spark up some conversation with people in just area shout chat, one person responded a few times other than that nothing. I dont understand why this game is so unsociable. More and more games are becoming like this.. Which is killing MMOs for me. I used to make friends in them.

GW2 is one of the worst yet for social interaction. I am thinking of returning to TERA I left  that game not because I didnt like it or even because i got bored. I left it due to RL issues that were going on at the time. By the time I was able to play again my friends were all amped over GW2.. now they are all just spread  out everwhere.

What I will say about GW2. Beautiful world, some fun gameplay, some good stories. but the unsocial people that play it are turning me off. As for this content patch. What does it matter if you dont make friends to play along with.

action combat is going to = less talking.. how do you have time to talk it up while dodging from that champion who will one shot you with anyone of its attacks? i found if people aren't engaged in combat most of the time you can get a conversation going.. it's not hard ot join a guild either.. i'm personally in 4 guilds and can always find at least a couple people chatting it up in guild chat.. honestly i'm such a slow leveler because i spend way to much of my time in game just talking instead of actually playing heh.. just because a game doesn't "require" social interaction for a lot of it doesn't mean people aren't willing to talk and have a conversation and help people out.

This pretty much. Not to mention there are plenty of programs out there that guilds use to chat rather than typing. I know my guild rarely chats in game because we are in mumble. Other than that I answer questions in map chat when I catch one. I can imagine this is normal.

yea forgot to mention that one.. voice chat is much more widespread today than it was years ago and more people using that will also equate to less typing in chat

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    They are heading in a good direction, but I feel like they are focusing on too many aspects of the game at once and spreading their new content too thin. They honestly have to put in a significant change in the next quarter to keep their player base up. I'll still be playing, but I am already feeling my excitement since beta deplete

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351

My problem is This !

We were told we would have a choice in what dailyes we do.

I only play wvw could care less about the rest.

Now i am forced to craft and run dungons to compleat the daily and the monthly.

Every time a developer says we are going to let you play the way you want to  I hear Hi I am here to lie to you.

Originally posted by WarWitch

My problem is This !

We were told we would have a choice in what dailyes we do.

I only play wvw could care less about the rest.

Now i am forced to craft and run dungons to compleat the daily and the monthly.

Every time a developer says we are going to let you play the way you want to  I hear Hi I am here to lie to you.

they said they are adding in the selectable dailies.. the implementation isn't done yet

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Just want to clarify: There is no daily for completing jump puzzles. There is no monthly for completing jump puzzles either. So please edit that out of the article as it is misleading and not correct. You can also do the crafting daily in a few seconds crafting basic components. (ie: salt and pepper, ball of dough, bolts of cloth,ect) I would like to add that pretty much everything surrounding the daily short of crafting is stuff you would normally get just by playing the game. If you don't want to do the daily because it requires you to kill vets or dodge roll then you should probably just not play because you don't like the game. If you really want to do it quick the daily achievement can be completed easily in about 15 minutes. 

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Sciva
    Originally posted by Mikeyfree
    Lost interest in gw2. 

Good for you, alot of people are still enjoying it though. (Somthing that's hard to grasp for some people)

The guy was simply talking about himself.He didn't even mention anyone else in particular. GW2 fans really need to stop getting so defensive. No wonder GW2 gets so much flak around here because fans are just way too touchy.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Paulolino34Paulolino34 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    IMO many haters of gw2 wouldn't be haters if they had played the first guild wars, OR even if they did a little research before buying the game... Everyone that knew or read something about the game before it was released i'm pretty sure mostly of them are still enjoying the game because they knew what the game would be about :)  (my opinion)
  • Ironwolf21Ironwolf21 Member Posts: 6

I have only one problem NCSoft has proven they will cancel any MMO on a whim. They are the MMO killer and have zero interest in their players other than to make tons of cash.

If you play one of their games just be aware the home office only wants money not to give their players a fun experience.

• ShorunShorun Member UncommonPosts: 247

Why won't people shut up about GW2 not having any endgame like it's a problem?

Do you miss endgame in any other games than MMOs? Did anyone ever miss endgame in Dragon Age or Darksiders? Are these games less enjoyable because they're over when you're finished with the storyline?

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Thats what you would think... but if you've seen TERAs chats you'd wish action combat actually equalled less talking.

Everyone in TERA talks so much and gets so out of hand you actually need to turn the chat off. Lol.

Some people have developed their own sayings or become server wide names through the sheer extent of their mindless babble. People like Dragneel(starts religious arguments all the time), Di.Pro.Sky(Multiboxer/botter/BG afker who mocks everyone when he gets the best gear), Angel_Bunny(Is apparently a bunny) and Wolfy(wags his tail).

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115

Unlike what the OP suggested, crafting, dodging and veteran killing achievements are really easy to get:

- Crafting achievement: Just craft any 10 low level items when you're near a crafting station and you are done within a minute. Should be easy if you gather a node now and then (which you have to do for the gathering achievement anyway).

- Dodging achievement: Find a mob that doesn't hit too hard but has a distinct tell for it's 'power' attack (the ones that have aoe attacks that are shown by a red circle on the ground are really easy to dodge). Stand near it and dodge it's 'power' attacks until your health gets low, then kill the mob and repeat on another. Done within 3 minutes if you pay attention or 5 if you're new at dodging.

- Veteran killing achievement: When you come across a veteran in the game world while playing the game, kill it, then wait for it to respawn and repeat, veterans and normal mobs in the game have a relative short respawn timer, so waiting for it to respawn is a lot quicker than trying to find 5 different ones while roaming the world. Done in 5 minutes.

I'll choose these achievements any day over the daily kill variety achievement that takes a lot longer to complete.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    What keeps this game alive for me is that it was buy to play. It's replayablity is very low, but its bought and paid for and new stuff comes out so I log in and check it out. I suspect many others do the same thing. At the end of the day, I think weapon swapping and a lack of readily available skills is just not enough to keep me entertained, its boring.
  • CyborWolfTKCyborWolfTK Member Posts: 77

I got bored before beta ended. I play support classes so that might have something to do with it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I am not impressed by the "living story" so far, I rather have them put the work into the next expansion instead.

I do play still, even if it is nowhere near as much as a few months ago. As I see it do the game needs more content, more skills, guildhouses and guild Vs guild PvP.

45 minutes of me helping some fugitives just didnt add much to me. Then again, maybe things get more intense later.

• KaerellaKaerella Member UncommonPosts: 27

Good to know the "Flame & Frost" prelude has its own dynamic event - I didn't come across it while lighting campfires and repairing roadside signs!  I hope we get the promised choice of daily achievement components soon, dodging I don't like, and reviving NPCs is tedious.  At a high level it costs a lot to move around the map from waypoint to waypoint, so moving from monsters you can use dodging on to places where there are dead NPCs, and on to a crafting station or a lake for aquatic kills, is a bit expensive...

Different races, different alliances, different choices - one can go through the game to level 80 quite a few times finding different bits of the story, so things are definitely replayable.

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298

I too lost interest in GW2, after grinding my ass off in TA for the marks needed for the lvl 80 set, there seemed like nothing else left to do, but grind here and there and do more of the world exploration. And we all know how buggy and ridiculous dungeons are in GW2 so i guess i was left with world exploration. 

I enjoyed the story series of quests and i think that was the best part so far in this game, but on the other hand i hate it how in terms of class/character progression, after lvl 30 you get nothing new. All you do is change gear constantly without having any new skill to uncover and try. At least in GW1 we had elite skills to get, in GW2 it all ends after you hit 30.

No more GW2 for me and no more buying gems for a long time, not until they bring something worthwhile.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

If this was a sub game, I don't think people would be complaining as much. The reason being, you feel you have to play to get your moeny's worth out of it.  Many of the GW2 complaints come from people who only seem to play games as jobs, meaning 10 hrs a day - 7 days a week. It is all they do. They feel they are entitled to more, and that is a big problem.

Back to the OT, it is a little weak but this is the beginning of it all. Soon they will also have a PvP update, which will, hopefully rectify many of the problems there.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Mount? I have never played any game in less need of mounts then Gw2. Barely sometimes I'm even using some abilities that increase speed as there is no really need.

So far was worth every cent.

Rarely have seen such beautiful and complex world with miriad of jewels like gw2. My alts will have long jurney before will need detour.

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by xArsonistx

Originally posted by nikolait
    Most of the ppl here hate GW2, I don't know why and i don't care, but if you don't like something just ignore it thats the human nature, so ppl pls leave us ppl who love and like the game to fully enjoy it. Thanks.    About the new contens of the game I want to try it but now no time and no money for new PC, thats sad...

Hate is a strong word. More like words of warning....I feel obligated to let people the true state of the game. I sure wish I had known that the game had DR, Culling, Bots, Hacks, an no customer service when I bought the game. Bots n hacks I can understand as an issue in all games an I could look past it if they work on it but instead of banning bots they put in DR so nobody gets loot.

Running around pvp fighting invisible enemies should be a dealbreaker for any game. I dont know how anyone can stomach it but I assume most people are just blind to it especially when you see stuff like ""herp derp what is culling?""

With the recent patch, they fixed the enemy culling. You can see them load faster than before since they're using placeholder models on enemy players. Same tech has not been applied to allies, but the bleeps on the map would let you know that someone has your back.
  • AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by nikolait

Most of the ppl here hate GW2, I don't know why and i don't care, but if you don't like something just ignore it thats the human nature, so ppl pls leave us ppl who love and like the game to fully enjoy it. Thanks. 

/agree 

and I am loving the game and still playing it every day since beta!

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by xArsonistx

To sum gw2 up

Bots - Haven't seen any in a long time (travel around the pve area a bit more, you will see lots of them (I saw some just a couple of days ago))

Hacks - describe - use hacks get  banned (saw one where a char apears next to a resource, gathers it, then disapears again)

Diminishing returns - explain (the new requirements for the daylies have now reduced the returns that I have been getting (still doable, but requires a change in the way I play the game IMO))

No end game -  The whole game is end game - I don't see any type of crap like in Rift or WoW (if the game was really good, would you really want end game?)

Culling (cant see shit captain) - it happens in all games not just GW2 - it does in Rift. (it does make it pointless trying, when several other players apear out of nowhere and all hammer you)

buggy chaotic dungeons - nope (pointless trying these if all your capable of doing is dieing every time you get hit. (other players have better things to do than revive you every other minute))

fun from 1-80

Having now developed 5 lvl 80 chars and no room for any more, I am over gw2!

Yes, I have made some very negative posts on the game, not because I hate the game, but in the hope that they would fix it. I see now that they will never do it the way that I would like it. I even tried leaving hints on their facebook page, but these were deleted and I am now blocked from any further input!

Being a member of an active guild, I will still play the game, but most likely not as much as I have been because I no longer need to get any chars to level 80!

Edited to add: In a game that requires the player to dodge, why is it that dodge never works for me? If I double tap the Q key, instead of jumping to the left, all my chars do is step to the left twice, Also tried the V key, but nothing hapens. The only time dodging works for me is when I am not in combat!

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Originally posted by botrytis

If this was a sub game, I don't think people would be complaining as much. The reason being, you feel you have to play to get your moeny's worth out of it.  Many of the GW2 complaints come from people who only seem to play games as jobs, meaning 10 hrs a day - 7 days a week. It is all they do. They feel they are entitled to more, and that is a big problem.

Back to the OT, it is a little weak but this is the beginning of it all. Soon they will also have a PvP update, which will, hopefully rectify many of the problems there.

If GW2 were a sub game it would be lucky to have 35% of the current pop playing at all.. The only reason many people play it is there is no sub..imo

Originally posted by Scorchien

If GW2 were a sub game it would be lucky to have 35% of the current pop playing at all.. The only reason many people play it is there is no sub..imo

with the sea of F2P and increasingly B2P type games really don't see how you could come to that conclusion.. manyp lay because its a well made and fun game.. B2P helps keep people who normally couldn't afford a sub or multiple subs but if the game was a pile of trash it wouldn't be as popular as it is... I play games because they are enjoyable being B2P is nothing more than a bonus