Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1.7 and the forced PVP debate

ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

There is a big argument going on the forums over 1.7. Basically it comes down to PVE players wanting the new items from the new upcoming  Ilum event but not wanting to be "forced" as they put it to PVP in order to get them. This is deja vu for those of you that remember the cries of "forced PVP" in SWG over the Jedi profession and then Restuss.

Why is it that people who only PVE  think that every bit of new content that comes out should be made specifically for them? This game has tons of PVE only content and Makeb, which is a PVE only planet, will be released soon.  PVPers have had to do the same five warzones over and over again ever since Ilum was shut down. This is finally adding something interesting to the planet. 

Thoughts?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by ktanner3
    There is a big argument going on the forums over 1.7. Basically it comes down to PVE players wanting the new items from the new upcoming  Ilum event but not wanting to be "forced" as they put it to PVP in order to get them. This is deja vu for those of you that remember the cries of "forced PVP" in SWG over the Jedi profession and then Restuss.Why is it that people who only PVE  think that every bit of new content that comes out should be made specifically for them? This game has tons of PVE only content and Makeb, which is a PVE only planet, will be released soon.  PVPers have had to do the same five warzones over and over again ever since Ilum was shut down. This is finally adding something interesting to the planet. Thoughts?

This argument is old as hell: Put the effort into the required area and reap rewards.

What other games, computer or rl do you know of that have the rules change just for the player.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    while a little forced pvp to get a reward isnt that bad and has been done in other games as well without that many complaints, this just also goes to show you how much this horrible dev team refuses to listen to the majority of its playerbase and continues to add stuff that the community doesnt want. The HK parts in the exiles den created a huge disdain in the community with the 1.5 patch . Now they do it all over again forcing things down the players throats that majority just do not want. This is just another example of why EA and Bioware are utter morons and do not care about their game , just to milk the remaining playerbase.
  • steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434

Reminds me of the raiding v/s grouping arguments where players wanted the same gear as raiders, but w/o having to put the same effort into it  ;)

Timeless argument, just a different theme :(

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

@ Cronius

How do you determine "the majority" of a playstyle in a game? Everyone I talk to in game is looking forward to this new event. It' s only on the forums that I find dissent and it's really the same people over and over again. It's really no different than any other game where events like these are done. When Restuss was announced for SWG, the forums lit up with the PVEers pissed because an area was being added to the planet that they couldn't go to. Proved to be a very popular thing for a long while for the game. 

Should every new event and content be PVE only just because that's what we think the majority wants? What about those of us that like both PVE and PVP? 

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Food for (Darkside) thought.

While there is a much greater focus of PVE in the game, if the cartel shop ever does go to a blatant  P2W route, the PVP playerbase is where the most money could be made to sell P2W items.

Even if the hardcore PVP playerbase is relatively small, they do reprsent a possible source of the greatest ARPU ratio-wise.

You could postulate that this is a cheap (cheaper then designing new Warzones or a functional OPVP lake or RvR scenario) to keep a potential source of future revenue appeased.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Unless someone constantly rolls alts, there is a lack of new content for the forseeable future.  With that, I could imagine that everyone hopes the scraps being given might be entertaining or enjoyable to them.

If EA was actually continuing to push content out in large amounts every 4 weeks, like the original plan from last year, arguments like the one you linked would be few and far between.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

@ Cronius

How do you determine "the majority" of a playstyle in a game? Everyone I talk to in game is looking forward to this new event. It' s only on the forums that I find dissent and it's really the same people over and over again. It's really no different than any other game where events like these are done. When Restuss was announced for SWG, the forums lit up with the PVEers pissed because an area was being added to the planet that they couldn't go to. Proved to be a very popular thing for a long while for the game. 

Should every new event and content be PVE only just because that's what we think the majority wants? What about those of us that like both PVE and PVP? 

i know what your saying man and trust me it doesnt bother me one bit as i mentioned in the begining of my statement  but its not just a few people did you see the thread with about 40 pages during the 1.5 exiles den for HK parts? I do not mind putting in work in pvp or pve myself but bioware DOESNT listen to its playerbase and its been like this since launch. WAR you had to pvp if you wanted certain rewards and at the begining of release there was a large pve crowd with war that used to cry and cry over having to pvp for certain set gear. It happens I totally understand that....but this company now continues to not listen to most of its playerbase forcing stuff down peoples throats who do not want it. If it was Trion or Anet or even SOE you probably wouldnt hear many complaints ,but its a company with a track record of never listening in the first place and pissing off its remaining base.

Originally posted by steelheartx

Reminds me of the raiding v/s grouping arguments where players wanted the same gear as raiders, but w/o having to put the same effort into it  ;)

Timeless argument, just a different theme :(

Yep. Sometimes dealing with these type of  players is like dealing with children. If they don't get their way all the time they threaten to tak their ball and go home. 

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Quote:

Explore the Planet Ilum to unveil a new Event, Relics of the Gree! A mysterious ancient Gree starship called “the Gray Secant” has appeared over Ilum’s Western Ice Shelf. Those who are brave enough will get the chance to help the Gree and face off against a powerful foe waiting in the heart of the Gree vessel. Republic and Imperial forces that finish this mission will earn exclusive Gree technology, including highly advanced weapon and armor appearances!

Its right there in the update..

Just sounds to me like some aren't brave enough.  image

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Op
    Because they've been spoilt for the past 8 years. They are used to hardcore pveers getting all the sweeties.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

There is a big argument going on the forums over 1.7. Basically it comes down to PVE players wanting the new items from the new upcoming  Ilum event but not wanting to be "forced" as they put it to PVP in order to get them. This is deja vu for those of you that remember the cries of "forced PVP" in SWG over the Jedi profession and then Restuss.

Why is it that people who only PVE  think that every bit of new content that comes out should be made specifically for them? This game has tons of PVE only content and Makeb, which is a PVE only planet, will be released soon.  PVPers have had to do the same five warzones over and over again ever since Ilum was shut down. This is finally adding something interesting to the planet. 

Thoughts?

I have pvped but would consider myself a pve player.   Let the pve players complain but don't change it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• i kind of find it interesting how there seemed to be a big influx of support for this kind of thing after the rakghoul event causing big battles over the world boss in outlaws den that seemed to excite people and so bioware tries to do more of it and it people scream about forced pvp. just cant win

edit: just to be clear, im not saying anymore here is, just in general

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Self Entitled PVE players thinking they run the world of MMO's...Nothing new here. But this is why us PVP players can't have nice things. PVE people bitch and whine when we actually get something worth while. If Illum had been half as good as I was hopeing I might have stuck around and played for awhile longer than I did. 

Its funny because PVE players do their raiding thing and PVE events and such, you won't see a PVP player come trampling in on their parade...But as soon as something comes up thats the opposite, all hell breaks lose. This is one reason I in general don't like PVE only players. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Originally posted by Vunak23

Self Entitled PVE players thinking they run the world of MMO's...Nothing new here. But this is why us PVP players can't have nice things. PVE people bitch and whine when we actually get something worth while. If Illum had been half as good as I was hopeing I might have stuck around and played for awhile longer than I did. 

Its funny because PVE players do their raiding thing and PVE events and such, you won't see a PVP player come trampling in on their parade...But as soon as something comes up thats the opposite, all hell breaks lose. This is one reason I in general don't like PVE only players. 

I understand where your coming from . When you mention to them that they are getting an entire planet with the next expansion they just shrug it off. They want every item and title in the game regardless and they will kick up a mighty stink if you force them to do PVP. It's funny, because they can wipe a hundred times to a stupid NPc  with no problem yet go nuts if it happens against a player. 

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by steelheartx

It reminds me of that also.  Eventually you won't even need to login to get a new shiny.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

This is deja vu for those of you that remember the cries of "forced PVP" in SWG over the Jedi profession and then Restuss.

Restuss PvP was the only PvP that I have ever enjoyed. I loved it until it became a "king of the hill" match. One faction would stand in the spaceport and the other would stand on that little hill just inside the PvP zone.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Nitth

Thoughts?

This argument is old as hell: Put the effort into the required area and reap rewards.

What other games, computer or rl do you know of that have the rules change just for the player.

American Football.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

If the server says "PVE", it should only be PVE.

And frankly, in PVE orientated games, the only people who are even interested in PvP are just interested in ganking. If they were truly so big and tough MMORPG players (ha), they'd be playing a game focused on PvP.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I feel that there should be rewards for specific endeavors. If everyone is special then no one is.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Vunak23

I understand where your coming from . When you mention to them that they are getting an entire planet with the next expansion they just shrug it off. They want every item and title in the game regardless and they will kick up a mighty stink if you force them to do PVP. It's funny, because they can wipe a hundred times to a stupid NPc  with no problem yet go nuts if it happens against a player. 

lol true!

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

they allocate resources based on player numbers,,about 85% PVE and the rest for PVP

a good example is EVE,,despite it being one of the best mmos on the market, its still

chugging along with the same numbers as any mediocre mmo

as for PVPers not bothering PVErs  does Hk51! ring a bell?

i didnt try it myself, but i saw the rants from a lot of angry players

PVPers knew , that those players didnt have any chance to defend themselves,,they also knew

that they were only there to gather parts for the mission

and instead of rolling on a PVP server, or joining a ranked PVP map,,they just opened a gankfest

most devs have learned to seperate them as much as possible,,they just dont mix

theres a server if you like to PVE, and another if you like PVP

im a smoker, so by following the PVP argument,,EVERYBODY is a smoker,,there are no smoke free zones

anymore,,,does that sound reasonable to you?

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Maybe it's a bit oversimplistic, but to expect a Star Wars MMO without spcae combat (Star) or any PVP (Wars) seems odd to me.

But that is just one opinion in a sea of many.

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by cronius77
    while a little forced pvp to get a reward isnt that bad and has been done in other games as well without that many complaints, this just also goes to show you how much this horrible dev team refuses to listen to the majority of its playerbase and continues to add stuff that the community doesnt want. The HK parts in the exiles den created a huge disdain in the community with the 1.5 patch . Now they do it all over again forcing things down the players throats that majority just do not want. This is just another example of why EA and Bioware are utter morons and do not care about their game , just to milk the remaining playerbase.

I disagree. Certainly the pvp players are part of the base and deserve content as well.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

You never know the rewards in the ilum part of the rep system might only be PVP items. you never know , anyways i think it would be all well and good to give PVP players an event  , why not ? I'm a PVE player but do I care that this zone might auto flag me ( if I go there ) ? nope.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Originally posted by simplius

they allocate resources based on player numbers,,about 85% PVE and the rest for PVP

Mostly because PVP has been neglected.Before the server merges, the most consistently busy server was The Fatman, a PVP server.  From my experience in gaming, most players like a little bit of both. The "strict" PVE or PVPers are the minority. 

a good example is EVE,,despite it being one of the best mmos on the market, its still

chugging along with the same numbers as any mediocre mmo

A lot of MMOs would  love to have the "mediocrity" that is EVE numbers. That game has been one of the few MMOs to grow and hold a steady sub base.

as for PVPers not bothering PVErs  does Hk51! ring a bell?

i didnt try it myself, but i saw the rants from a lot of angry players

PVPers knew , that those players didnt have any chance to defend themselves,,they also knew

that they were only there to gather parts for the mission

and instead of rolling on a PVP server, or joining a ranked PVP map,,they just opened a gankfest

Of course PVPers are going to gank you.  That's why you should never enter a PVP zone without backup.If losing to another player is too traumatic for you, then don't do the quest. Simple. 

most devs have learned to seperate them as much as possible,,they just dont mix

theres a server if you like to PVE, and another if you like PVP

And usually those games fail because at the end of the day there is simply no way to produce enough content to satisfy people who only like to PVE. Even they get bored of going against the same dumb AI on a daily basis.