Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Not a very fun game

Crunchy222Crunchy222 new york, ILPosts: 386Member

Alright, i have heard a LOT of good things about the game.  Im really not into the overly asian theme of the game but, imo, mechanics > looks so i figured i would give the game a try and see how the "eve of martial arts" really is.

 

I have played the game for about 10 hours, so i feel ive gotten a decent taste of what the game has potential for and what its lacking in (aside from endgame)

First of all your greeted for the first hour or three with NPC dialogue quests.  Once you learn the auto-pathfinder abilities its not so bad...but a LOT of boring text about your back story, out of all of this i think i killed two dogs and three bandits...so your not going to see combat as a quest based objective early on.  In fact i was itching for combat given its martial arts, and it has you choose a combat school early on, with little to no resources on what your choosing (given the in game overview makes little sense to a new player).

 

A few more hours of running from NPC to NPC clicking though text, and being forced to watch poorly animated cutscenes with no chance to skip, i get to what appears to be the first instance.  Now i was unable to find anyone to group with me (game seemed very empty aside from the same gold spammer that was there 5 hours ago...yes in closed beta) so i was lucky for some reason the questgiver NPC joined me.  I got to see some action, i had all my school skills ready to go.

It was somewhat painfull, given how weak i was compared to the NPC questgiver who was tanking and killing most mobs.  WHen you aggo a mob it goes into some defensive stance "zombie mode" approach where you get to wail on it from a distance untill the mob reaches you.

 

Combat is clunky at best, didnt feel fufilling, exciting, or really interesting for a martial arts game.  I was expecting to whoop-ass and do some crazy kung-fu stuff...what i was doing was thristing a sword, what appeared to be a spammible defensive attack, and one skill that i thought was a close ranged sword hit but turned out to be a ranged AOE, animation on it was very lacking...oh and i had a gound target aoe with a long charge.

So me and the questgiver npc clear through to some head boss lady, my attacks are feeble and i fight from a distance having died to random fire.  The boss is dead, i get instance complete, theres a huge glowing treasure chest that i cant wait to loot, given how slow and boring the boss fight was.  I click it, see for a brief second what looks to be a bunch of gear and resources.  And then some tutorial or help window popps us closes the chest and i stand there as the time untill instance closes frantically tring to open the chest so i can at least get one item.

Nothing, chest was bugged, i got nothing.

 

Very unhappy, and extremely dissapointed with combat, i click on my quest tracker and mindlesly auto-path to the next NPC, who tells me to talk to another NPC, who tells me to talk to another NPC...ext.

 

I did dabble i a bit in crafting, a bar fills up, a picture appears that has an identical button with the same picture, you click and it continues.  Sort of a mini game.  The time based progression system is choosing a skill and letting it cultivate...which is in no way related to cultivation IE crops as i had thought.  Its training, or meditation, which would have made more sense.

 

Crafting seems to be the highlight, theres also a mini game called team practice where you follow an arrow key and letter key sequence for a small speed up in your skill thats being trained, increasing in arrow/letter complexity.  Everyone on your practice team is doins some in-sync yoga which looks kinda nice.

 

Overal the community was near silent, and really absent from the game, unless theres a very small pop of players.  When i did see conversation it was ugly, mostly gold farmer spam, a lot of non english speaking trolls, which can take a question asked and turn it into an insult towards them somehow...in broken english of course....followed by a lot of mother related broken english insults.  Havent seen that for a while, guess ive been away fromg lobal F2P games too long.

 

 

In conclusion, what i had hoped was a kung fu EVE, turned out to more or less be the same old korean (yeah its a chinese game but you wont know) grinder, with an expanded crafting system, horrible combat mechanics, and instead of grinding on mobs (which can be fun TBH) you grind on auto-pathing to the next NPC as 90% of the quests seem to be oriented towards story telling...and what i did read was typical and boring.

 

It just wasnt a very good game, was in no way, shape or form mechanically like EVE nor was it as complex as EVE.

I will say that the PVP system and the clan war system looked appealing, and from what i can understand about it, looks quite fun.  Didnt get into the game enough to participate, given the poor combat im not sure it would be all that fun. 

 

Im now forced to choose between paying $20 to buy the game or playing like 1hr a day...given what ive seen ill pass on both paying and playing for now.  Perhaps when it launches it will be better...but what i can understand is this game is an old and popular chinese game...dont think it will be improving much.

 

 

 

«13

Comments

  • SQTOSQTO victoria, BCPosts: 188Member

    I think you are focusing too much on the quests when that is just a very small part of the game.

    Also the combat does get better later on. 

    with all the different chats ( world, nearby, school and guild) there are always people chatting whenever I play.

    Anyways I have had the exact opposite expience with this game but I will admit that I did not get a good first impression but then it all changed when i started pvping.

     

     

  • park97park97 Toronto, ONPosts: 89Member
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

    Alright, i have heard a LOT of good things about the game.  Im really not into the overly asian theme of the game but, imo, mechanics > looks so i figured i would give the game a try and see how the "eve of martial arts" really is.

     

    I have played the game for about 10 hours, so i feel ive gotten a decent taste of what the game has potential for and what its lacking in (aside from endgame)

    First of all your greeted for the first hour or three with NPC dialogue quests.  Once you learn the auto-pathfinder abilities its not so bad...but a LOT of boring text about your back story, out of all of this i think i killed two dogs and three bandits...so your not going to see combat as a quest based objective early on.  In fact i was itching for combat given its martial arts, and it has you choose a combat school early on, with little to no resources on what your choosing (given the in game overview makes little sense to a new player).

     

    A few more hours of running from NPC to NPC clicking though text, and being forced to watch poorly animated cutscenes with no chance to skip, i get to what appears to be the first instance.  Now i was unable to find anyone to group with me (game seemed very empty aside from the same gold spammer that was there 5 hours ago...yes in closed beta) so i was lucky for some reason the questgiver NPC joined me.  I got to see some action, i had all my school skills ready to go.

    It was somewhat painfull, given how weak i was compared to the NPC questgiver who was tanking and killing most mobs.  WHen you aggo a mob it goes into some defensive stance "zombie mode" approach where you get to wail on it from a distance untill the mob reaches you.

     

    Combat is clunky at best, didnt feel fufilling, exciting, or really interesting for a martial arts game.  I was expecting to whoop-ass and do some crazy kung-fu stuff...what i was doing was thristing a sword, what appeared to be a spammible defensive attack, and one skill that i thought was a close ranged sword hit but turned out to be a ranged AOE, animation on it was very lacking...oh and i had a gound target aoe with a long charge.

    So me and the questgiver npc clear through to some head boss lady, my attacks are feeble and i fight from a distance having died to random fire.  The boss is dead, i get instance complete, theres a huge glowing treasure chest that i cant wait to loot, given how slow and boring the boss fight was.  I click it, see for a brief second what looks to be a bunch of gear and resources.  And then some tutorial or help window popps us closes the chest and i stand there as the time untill instance closes frantically tring to open the chest so i can at least get one item.

    Nothing, chest was bugged, i got nothing.

     

    Very unhappy, and extremely dissapointed with combat, i click on my quest tracker and mindlesly auto-path to the next NPC, who tells me to talk to another NPC, who tells me to talk to another NPC...ext.

     

    I did dabble i a bit in crafting, a bar fills up, a picture appears that has an identical button with the same picture, you click and it continues.  Sort of a mini game.  The time based progression system is choosing a skill and letting it cultivate...which is in no way related to cultivation IE crops as i had thought.  Its training, or meditation, which would have made more sense.

     

    Crafting seems to be the highlight, theres also a mini game called team practice where you follow an arrow key and letter key sequence for a small speed up in your skill thats being trained, increasing in arrow/letter complexity.  Everyone on your practice team is doins some in-sync yoga which looks kinda nice.

     

    Overal the community was near silent, and really absent from the game, unless theres a very small pop of players.  When i did see conversation it was ugly, mostly gold farmer spam, a lot of non english speaking trolls, which can take a question asked and turn it into an insult towards them somehow...in broken english of course....followed by a lot of mother related broken english insults.  Havent seen that for a while, guess ive been away fromg lobal F2P games too long.

     

     

    In conclusion, what i had hoped was a kung fu EVE, turned out to more or less be the same old korean (yeah its a chinese game but you wont know) grinder, with an expanded crafting system, horrible combat mechanics, and instead of grinding on mobs (which can be fun TBH) you grind on auto-pathing to the next NPC as 90% of the quests seem to be oriented towards story telling...and what i did read was typical and boring.

     

    It just wasnt a very good game, was in no way, shape or form mechanically like EVE nor was it as complex as EVE.

    I will say that the PVP system and the clan war system looked appealing, and from what i can understand about it, looks quite fun.  Didnt get into the game enough to participate, given the poor combat im not sure it would be all that fun. 

     

    Im now forced to choose between paying $20 to buy the game or playing like 1hr a day...given what ive seen ill pass on both paying and playing for now.  Perhaps when it launches it will be better...but what i can understand is this game is an old and popular chinese game...dont think it will be improving much.

     

     

     

    So you want to be Bruce Lee in 10 hours? It took me one month to practice my combat skills, and I still loose to many many good players. The main reason I play this game is for it's combat system. This game has no grind at all. Study the game before you make this nonsense thread.

  • azzamasinazzamasin Butler, OHPosts: 3,066Member Uncommon
    While I played alot less then you (about 45 mins total) I know from the get go whether or not a game is for me and this wasn't for me.  I agree with almost all your sentiments exactly.  The gameplay was my biggest turn off, it just isn't as exciting as I like it to be.

    Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

    Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

    Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

    image

  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 new york, ILPosts: 386Member
    Originally posted by SQTO

    I think you are focusing too much on the quests when that is just a very small part of the game.

    Also the combat does get better later on. 

    with all the different chats ( world, nearby, school and guild) there are always people chatting whenever I play.

    Anyways I have had the exact opposite expience with this game but I will admit that I did not get a good first impression but then it all changed when i started pvping.

     

     

    Yes the game early on seems way to focused on running from NPC to NPC for text based quests, meaning not a whole lot is involved other than getting to the NPC.  It was mind-numbingly boring.

    It was the actual combat that i participated in that was what really turned me off, it just wasnt fluid, the animations were quite boring, and it just didnt feel like a martial arts based game i guess.

    Had killing the mobs been entertaining i would be far more interested in continuing the game.

     

    I agree with you on the PVP part, it looked very interesting...but again, given the mechanics of the combat itself, im not really convinced its worth trudging through hours and hours more of NPC find&talk quests.  Topped off with the fact that killing mobs didnt seem to really do much of anything to further my character, and never yeilded anything of interest.

     

    I guess my largest dissapointment came from others describing the game as the "EvE of martial arts" which it certainly wasnt.  I guess in a loose "long shot" connection in that skills trained are done though time, but even that wasnt nearly as complex or interesting. 

     

    And yeah, for a game thats free to download and enter (at least until they restrict your login time for this beta) the game was very empty of life, especially in the starter areas.  There was some chat, however, it was like i said, very unpleasant chat, and that gold farmer should not have been where he was for as long as he was...its like they are letting him stay in game, and theres no way to block players in nearby chat (or any chat? i had him blacklisted)

    Oh and for the quests to be a small part of the game, its almost the entier purpose of playing it seems.  I spent way too much time running back and forth, as well as over very long distances for these lame quests...its almost all i did.  Other than of course stopping to kill some mobs...which was no joke just as boring as the questing was.

  • GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Nada, FLPosts: 576Member
    I have to ask what starter area you are in and what school you chose to get the impression the game is empty.
  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,266Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak
    I have to ask what starter area you are in and what school you chose to get the impression the game is empty.

    This right here...

     

    Hey though, the game can't please everyone. Maybe give it another go in a day or two. It sound like you made it through the extended tutorial or close to it. 

     

    edit- after reading your second post, it sounds like you were still doing the tutorial. If chapter one is over, stop. Do not ever do another quest. Go out into the world.

  • AsheramAsheram San Diego, CAPosts: 1,989Member Uncommon
    You are not really getting the Eve experience because you arent subbing to the game.Just like in Eve you can train skills offline but you have to be subbed to the game for this to happen.I havnt really done much in the game but most all my skills are at max level 5 because of offline training.

    image
  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 new york, ILPosts: 386Member
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak
    I have to ask what starter area you are in and what school you chose to get the impression the game is empty.

    This right here...

     

    Hey though, the game can't please everyone. Maybe give it another go in a day or two. It sound like you made it through the extended tutorial or close to it. 

     

    edit- after reading your second post, it sounds like you were still doing the tutorial. If chapter one is over, stop. Do not ever do another quest. Go out into the world.

    Yeah ive done that.

    This is where the boring combat kicks in.

     

    Yes it was painful going through the 6 hour "tutorial" or whatever you want to call it.

     

    I dunno, i guess i just expected a whole lot more with this game based on what i heard, and was quite dissapointed.

     

    Chalk it up as "the games not for everyone" but i was specificially interested in the game for some complexity and the "eve like" progression system.  I didnt find the game complex, and the mechanics of the combat were not entertaining.

     

    However, like i said, i can see people who are batty for crafting getting into this, that little mini game where you have to click the button with the same picture that pops up on the craft bar might be that extra "pizzaz" some were looking for.

    And yeah, the PVP seems to be far better than instanced arena,battlegrounds, or some lame attempt at a persistant battleground.  Ill take this pvp system over any of the wow clones or developers who "innovate" on said wow system.

     

    Right now where i stand is i have to either buy the free game (lol?) or play for an hour a day.  Obviously i wasnt much impressed with what i saw to pay for it...not to mention im quite squeemish on free games that offer a subscription on top of cash shop spending...especially in a game with some form of time based subscription.

     

    If the combat was entertaining i would certainly stick with this game if only for the pvp system.

  • Dantae87Dantae87 Camloops, ABPosts: 166Member
    I AGREE WITH OP! Plaed this game and was utterly confuzed and insulted at what i was seeing. My eyes literally HURT playing this game. The biggest turn off is when i first enterd the world BAM my entire screen filled with stupid pop ups and info, right off the bat i was confuzed as fook. Also the asian theme is just horrible...i for one coudnt get past it. Played it for maybe 20 mins before quitting and  sinking my face in a bath of water cuz they were burning from the horrible pixles this game has....only game to do this to me....

    image

  • AsheramAsheram San Diego, CAPosts: 1,989Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Dantae87
    I AGREE WITH OP! Plaed this game and was utterly confuzed and insulted at what i was seeing. My eyes literally HURT playing this game. The biggest turn off is when i first enterd the world BAM my entire screen filled with stupid pop ups and info, right off the bat i was confuzed as fook. Also the asian theme is just horrible...i for one coudnt get past it. Played it for maybe 20 mins before quitting and  sinking my face in a bath of water cuz they were burning from the horrible pixles this game has....only game to do this to me....

    Lol how dramatic....

    image
  • OnisDEOnisDE Brooklyn, NYPosts: 19Member
    The game is 9Dragons 2.0 rebranded with some minor updates from the gameplay videos I've seen.
  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 new york, ILPosts: 386Member
    Originally posted by Asheram
    Originally posted by Dantae87
    I AGREE WITH OP! Plaed this game and was utterly confuzed and insulted at what i was seeing. My eyes literally HURT playing this game. The biggest turn off is when i first enterd the world BAM my entire screen filled with stupid pop ups and info, right off the bat i was confuzed as fook. Also the asian theme is just horrible...i for one coudnt get past it. Played it for maybe 20 mins before quitting and  sinking my face in a bath of water cuz they were burning from the horrible pixles this game has....only game to do this to me....

    Lol how dramatic....

     

    Yeah...very over dramatic...

     

    I will say i just watched the recording of that clan war live stream, and i cant believe that is their clan vs clan pvp system...im utterly shocked that it would be such a terrible setup.... Just a big square to pvp on...yawn.

     

    For me its the boring combat mechanics, now paired with the future hope of being able to stand on a square with 50 other players and pvp...no thanks.

     

    Even if they had gotten the skill system even to a fraction of EVE's in complexity it wouldnt make up for what i just saw on the livestream.  I expect that kind of pvp in a game made in 2003.

     

     

  • MardukkMardukk Posts: 1,556Member Uncommon

    I have no idea how but I didn't even see that final tutorial fight with the NPC helping.  The entire game was confusing to say the least.  Now that I understand it, I'm still not seeing much fun to be had.  Maybe it's so different that you have to retrain yourself how to have fun.  I failed at retraining myself.

     

     

  • Dantae87Dantae87 Camloops, ABPosts: 166Member
    Originally posted by Crunchy222
    Originally posted by Asheram
    Originally posted by Dantae87
    I AGREE WITH OP! Plaed this game and was utterly confuzed and insulted at what i was seeing. My eyes literally HURT playing this game. The biggest turn off is when i first enterd the world BAM my entire screen filled with stupid pop ups and info, right off the bat i was confuzed as fook. Also the asian theme is just horrible...i for one coudnt get past it. Played it for maybe 20 mins before quitting and  sinking my face in a bath of water cuz they were burning from the horrible pixles this game has....only game to do this to me....

    Lol how dramatic....

     

    Yeah...very over dramatic...

     

    I will say i just watched the recording of that clan war live stream, and i cant believe that is their clan vs clan pvp system...im utterly shocked that it would be such a terrible setup.... Just a big square to pvp on...yawn.

     

    For me its the boring combat mechanics, now paired with the future hope of being able to stand on a square with 50 other players and pvp...no thanks.

     

    Even if they had gotten the skill system even to a fraction of EVE's in complexity it wouldnt make up for what i just saw on the livestream.  I expect that kind of pvp in a game made in 2003.

     

     

    TELL THAT TO MY EYES 

    image

  • GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Nada, FLPosts: 576Member
    Originally posted by Crunchy222
    Originally posted by Asheram
    Originally posted by Dantae87
    I AGREE WITH OP! Plaed this game and was utterly confuzed and insulted at what i was seeing. My eyes literally HURT playing this game. The biggest turn off is when i first enterd the world BAM my entire screen filled with stupid pop ups and info, right off the bat i was confuzed as fook. Also the asian theme is just horrible...i for one coudnt get past it. Played it for maybe 20 mins before quitting and  sinking my face in a bath of water cuz they were burning from the horrible pixles this game has....only game to do this to me....

    Lol how dramatic....

     

    Yeah...very over dramatic...

     

    I will say i just watched the recording of that clan war live stream, and i cant believe that is their clan vs clan pvp system...im utterly shocked that it would be such a terrible setup.... Just a big square to pvp on...yawn.

     

    For me its the boring combat mechanics, now paired with the future hope of being able to stand on a square with 50 other players and pvp...no thanks.

     

    Even if they had gotten the skill system even to a fraction of EVE's in complexity it wouldnt make up for what i just saw on the livestream.  I expect that kind of pvp in a game made in 2003.

     

     

    A big square to pvp on?

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,266Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak
    Originally posted by Crunchy222
    Originally posted by Asheram
    Originally posted by Dantae87
    I AGREE WITH OP! Plaed this game and was utterly confuzed and insulted at what i was seeing. My eyes literally HURT playing this game. The biggest turn off is when i first enterd the world BAM my entire screen filled with stupid pop ups and info, right off the bat i was confuzed as fook. Also the asian theme is just horrible...i for one coudnt get past it. Played it for maybe 20 mins before quitting and  sinking my face in a bath of water cuz they were burning from the horrible pixles this game has....only game to do this to me....

    Lol how dramatic....

     

    Yeah...very over dramatic...

     

    I will say i just watched the recording of that clan war live stream, and i cant believe that is their clan vs clan pvp system...im utterly shocked that it would be such a terrible setup.... Just a big square to pvp on...yawn.

     

    For me its the boring combat mechanics, now paired with the future hope of being able to stand on a square with 50 other players and pvp...no thanks.

     

    Even if they had gotten the skill system even to a fraction of EVE's in complexity it wouldnt make up for what i just saw on the livestream.  I expect that kind of pvp in a game made in 2003.

     

     

    A big square to pvp on?

    Don't bother Gary. The game is not for him. Let him go. Win, win.

  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,763Member Uncommon

    gamers these days want their hands to be hold too much. Age of Wushu gives a tutorial then throw you into the abyss. Take it or leave it. Don say the game is boring because it doesnt copy the traditional way of playing hot bar mmos. THis game still need some work but as of now is doing fantastic. Second mmo that i play that doesnt try hard to copy WoW (first was GW2).

     

    The asian theme in AoW is the best asian theme in any asian mmo i have ever played, and i have played a lot because asian themed mmos are my favorite. But for some reason all others seem to be fake or just not well done. THis on the other hand feels authentic to its asian timeline. I love it. The UI could use some work but besides that the game is fun as hell.

    The game is not made for people who rush from point A to point B to hit end game. If you are this type of gamer then dont say AoW is bad just because its not made for you. And dont say the combat is boring if you havent even learned the fun abilities to mix combat and flying later on, etc.

    Dont like the game, thats ok, just move on to the next. A game is not bad because some people dont like it.

    image
  • AresPLAresPL ElblagPosts: 290Member

    6h tutorial? nice going einstein

     

    he saw guild vs guild stream, guess he expected some arena or idk.. that would make a lot sense while guild is defending their territory image

     

     

  • BurntvetBurntvet Baltimore, MDPosts: 2,938Member Uncommon
    4 of us started playing together and all of us have quit. The "Asian Theme" was not nearly as much a problem as things were not explained well, and things were very, very grindy. And all the "You weren't doing it right" excuse is a bunch of hooey, if a veteran gamer/MMO can't figure out how things work, then who can? A Chinese/Taiwanese/Korean veteran MMO player maybe.... those are the only groups I can really seeing this thing appealing to. The Western audience, not so much....
  • ElminzterElminzter MelbournePosts: 202Member
    Originally posted by rojo6934

    gamers these days want their hands to be hold too much. Age of Wushu gives a tutorial then throw you into the abyss. Take it or leave it. Don say the game is boring because it doesnt copy the traditional way of playing hot bar mmos. THis game still need some work but as of now is doing fantastic. Second mmo that i play that doesnt try hard to copy WoW (first was GW2).

     

    The asian theme in AoW is the best asian theme in any asian mmo i have ever played, and i have played a lot because asian themed mmos are my favorite. But for some reason all others seem to be fake or just not well done. THis on the other hand feels authentic to its asian timeline. I love it. The UI could use some work but besides that the game is fun as hell.

    The game is not made for people who rush from point A to point B to hit end game. If you are this type of gamer then dont say AoW is bad just because its not made for you. And dont say the combat is boring if you havent even learned the fun abilities to mix combat and flying later on, etc.

    Dont like the game, thats ok, just move on to the next. A game is not bad because some people dont like it.

    lol are u joking abt the hand holding part, this game has the worst translation of any asian games, the koreans and japanese does the translation soo much better.

    so what hand holding is needed when everything is so confusing to the western audience, i played from cbt1 to current and the translation stays the same except for the making money part well that has progress at each patch.

    and saying stuff like skills matters is just baseless statements cause everyone knows that with the right OP skill set u gonna pawnface what skills do u need.... good example is goose, players with goose has a HUGE advantage over someone who doesnt, and not forgetting the OP heals/mp.

    i'll call a spade a spade, game is fun but the other stuff u need to do is a big turnoff e.g. the inventory time decay stuff, having to rent the cashshop fast horse or u'll have problems doing the school wars, steal script events etc..

    decent game run by a money greedy company, and lastly game isnt on par with eve online stop making baseless comparision as eve online combat system is slower and isnt skill based but setup based and the economical aspect is far superior that aow.

    after a while u would realised that u can only pvp so much doing the same thing over and over again with no lost except just dieing and respawning nay game good as a filler not a main.

    just saying.

  • BiskopBiskop AvalonPosts: 709Member

    I would have agreed with the op if the title of the thread had been "Not a very fun tutorial". It's a poorly done introduction to the game, no question.

    But it's just that - a tutorial. It's there to introduce you to the basic stuff like combat controls, schools, noob crafting and so on, but after that the game opens up and you're on your own.

    To claim to have "gotten a decent taste of what the game has potential for and what its lacking" after playing the tutorial for a few hours is absurd (and yes, if you're still doing the tutorial after 10 hours you're doing it wrong). None of the features that makes Wushu unique are in the tutorial - you don't have any flying skills except for the double jump, you don't do any spying or patrolling, kidnapping or even real PvP, you only scratch the surface of crafting, there are no guild activities, you don't participate in any events, and so on.

    Mostly you just run between NPCs, click through incomprehensible dialogue and do some boring mob fights, which apparently makes a lot of people think the game is about PvE. It's not. But you'll have to play it to experience the actual features - you won't be a kung fu god the moment you log in and neither will you experience all AoW has to offer in the first few hours. In that way it's similar to most MMOs worth playing - time investment pays off and you have to learn a lot of the systems through trial and error and by interacting with others.

    Would you feel qualified to write a review of EVE after finishing the tutorial? That's right, you wouldn't. Why do you think you know anything about AoW after barely seeing what's at the tip of the iceberg?

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,266Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Elminzter
    Originally posted by rojo6934

    gamers these days want their hands to be hold too much. Age of Wushu gives a tutorial then throw you into the abyss. Take it or leave it. Don say the game is boring because it doesnt copy the traditional way of playing hot bar mmos. THis game still need some work but as of now is doing fantastic. Second mmo that i play that doesnt try hard to copy WoW (first was GW2).

     

    The asian theme in AoW is the best asian theme in any asian mmo i have ever played, and i have played a lot because asian themed mmos are my favorite. But for some reason all others seem to be fake or just not well done. THis on the other hand feels authentic to its asian timeline. I love it. The UI could use some work but besides that the game is fun as hell.

    The game is not made for people who rush from point A to point B to hit end game. If you are this type of gamer then dont say AoW is bad just because its not made for you. And dont say the combat is boring if you havent even learned the fun abilities to mix combat and flying later on, etc.

    Dont like the game, thats ok, just move on to the next. A game is not bad because some people dont like it.

    lol are u joking abt the hand holding part, this game has the worst translation of any asian games, the koreans and japanese does the translation soo much better.

    so what hand holding is needed when everything is so confusing to the western audience, i played from cbt1 to current and the translation stays the same except for the making money part well that has progress at each patch.

    i'll call a spade a spade, game is fun..

     

     

    Yeah, you actualy have to play the game, and make friends, and ask questions. Crazy huh?  

     

     

  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 new york, ILPosts: 386Member
    Originally posted by Biskop

    I would have agreed with the op if the title of the thread had been "Not a very fun tutorial". It's a poorly done introduction to the game, no question.

    But it's just that - a tutorial. It's there to introduce you to the basic stuff like combat controls, schools, noob crafting and so on, but after that the game opens up and you're on your own.

    To claim to have "gotten a decent taste of what the game has potential for and what its lacking" after playing the tutorial for a few hours is absurd (and yes, if you're still doing the tutorial after 10 hours you're doing it wrong). None of the features that makes Wushu unique are in the tutorial - you don't have any flying skills except for the double jump, you don't do any spying or patrolling, kidnapping or even real PvP, you only scratch the surface of crafting, there are no guild activities, you don't participate in any events, and so on.

    Mostly you just run between NPCs, click through incomprehensible dialogue and do some boring mob fights, which apparently makes a lot of people think the game is about PvE. It's not. But you'll have to play it to experience the actual features - you won't be a kung fu god the moment you log in and neither will you experience all AoW has to offer in the first few hours. In that way it's similar to most MMOs worth playing - time investment pays off and you have to learn a lot of the systems through trial and error and by interacting with others.

    Would you feel qualified to write a review of EVE after finishing the tutorial? That's right, you wouldn't. Why do you think you know anything about AoW after barely seeing what's at the tip of the iceberg?

     

    No yeah i get it, i must play the game enough for you to use the counter "well it must have been good if you played it that long" before i can become critical of the game.

     

    Im not buying this "it was only a tutorial" since i had well past the tutorial part of the game.  No tutorials last 12 hours long.

     

    And yes, anyone can write a review on EVE after 12 hours playing, it is legal.

     

    Sorry the game wasnt what i expected, had boring combat mechanics that went beyond the boring quests and tutorial part of the game, and after seeing the live stream of the clanwar pvp...it doesnt seem to get much better.

     

    Not sure why people are so eager to defend this game with such fervor.  It was just an honest review, take it or leave it. Anyone who tries the game will have a similair experience i did...and will need to make the decision if this game is right for them. 

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,266Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Crunchy222
    Originally posted by Biskop

    I would have agreed with the op if the title of the thread had been "Not a very fun tutorial". It's a poorly done introduction to the game, no question.

    But it's just that - a tutorial. It's there to introduce you to the basic stuff like combat controls, schools, noob crafting and so on, but after that the game opens up and you're on your own.

    To claim to have "gotten a decent taste of what the game has potential for and what its lacking" after playing the tutorial for a few hours is absurd (and yes, if you're still doing the tutorial after 10 hours you're doing it wrong). None of the features that makes Wushu unique are in the tutorial - you don't have any flying skills except for the double jump, you don't do any spying or patrolling, kidnapping or even real PvP, you only scratch the surface of crafting, there are no guild activities, you don't participate in any events, and so on.

    Mostly you just run between NPCs, click through incomprehensible dialogue and do some boring mob fights, which apparently makes a lot of people think the game is about PvE. It's not. But you'll have to play it to experience the actual features - you won't be a kung fu god the moment you log in and neither will you experience all AoW has to offer in the first few hours. In that way it's similar to most MMOs worth playing - time investment pays off and you have to learn a lot of the systems through trial and error and by interacting with others.

    Would you feel qualified to write a review of EVE after finishing the tutorial? That's right, you wouldn't. Why do you think you know anything about AoW after barely seeing what's at the tip of the iceberg?

     

    No yeah i get it, i must play the game enough for you to use the counter "well it must have been good if you played it that long" before i can become critical of the game.

     

    Im not buying this "it was only a tutorial" since i had well past the tutorial part of the game.  No tutorials last 12 hours long.

     

    And yes, anyone can write a review on EVE after 12 hours playing, it is legal.

     

    Sorry the game wasnt what i expected, had boring combat mechanics that went beyond the boring quests and tutorial part of the game, and after seeing the live stream of the clanwar pvp...it doesnt seem to get much better.

     

    Not sure why people are so eager to defend this game with such fervor.  It was just an honest review, take it or leave it. Anyone who tries the game will have a similair experience i did...and will need to make the decision if this game is right for them. 

    Crunchy your review is fine. It's off of limited information though. You say things like you expected to be Fly all around and doing crazy kunfu. Well you can't do that with just the first skill set, the one you get while doing the tutorial. Only to prove, you were still doing the tutorial (i have no idea why it took you so long, you may have got lost along the way) Tell us what it says when you press "L" under the storyline.

     

    No one is arguing with you that the first 2-3 hours of quest giver to quest giver is rough, boarderline boring and unneeded if you don't soak in the history.  We get that. EVE sensor tutorial anybody? Yeah it was god awful too. 

     

    You also said something like the game was silent. You where asked what school you chose, and where you were at because, for the rest of us, 24/7 there is too much chat to have all your channels open at once. 

     

    From you review it seemed like you entered the game on the edge of you set,  feeling like gogogo! It just doesn't work like that. It's not your fault, it's just the way it is. This is why I said "The game can't please everyone." You seemed to be in a completely different gear and mindset.

     

    The best thing I can tell you is after you press "L" and find out where you took a wrong turn, STOP questing, unless you just like to quest.

     

    Feel free to pm me about specific questions if you like, but if not good luck to you on your next gameimage

     

     

     

     

     

  • BiskopBiskop AvalonPosts: 709Member
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

    No yeah i get it, i must play the game enough for you to use the counter "well it must have been good if you played it that long" before i can become critical of the game.

     

    Im not buying this "it was only a tutorial" since i had well past the tutorial part of the game.  No tutorials last 12 hours long.

     

    And yes, anyone can write a review on EVE after 12 hours playing, it is legal.

     

    Sorry the game wasnt what i expected, had boring combat mechanics that went beyond the boring quests and tutorial part of the game, and after seeing the live stream of the clanwar pvp...it doesnt seem to get much better.

     

    Not sure why people are so eager to defend this game with such fervor.  It was just an honest review, take it or leave it. Anyone who tries the game will have a similair experience i did...and will need to make the decision if this game is right for them. 

    No, I just think you should refrain from making sweeping judgments about features that you apparently know nothing about. You're entitled to your opinion of course but it's generally a bad idea to say "this game is not fun" before you've actually played it enough to know what it's about.

    I mean sure you can write a "review" of EVE after playing the tutorial but no one would take you seriously unless you really stressed that it's a first impressions piece or something. If you personally feel a few hours are enough to make up your mind that's just fine, but don't try to "review" it in a way that implies you actually played it.

     

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.