Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter Gameplay

Comments

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248
    Originally posted by Elikal

Thanks for sharing.

Hm, visually it looks good, and I am a real fan of Faerun.

However, the action combat sounds like it would get a bit dull doing the same 3-4 attacks over and over through all the game. And... is there anything else but shooting mobs? Looks more like Diablo or something.

First of all, I apologize for quoting you - this is not meant as disrespect or anything, just stating my opinions again, which happen to be pretty much completely opposite of yours.

"Looks good & Faerûn" Well, I am a huge fan of Forgotten Realms too! Absolutely love the Sword Coast, or should I say... Loved? Past-tense. With the lore changes in 4th edition, I felt like s******* bricks.

Looks in game? Well, the graphics are quite nice, for an MMO and all that. The animations aren't all that bad either, but some of them look a bit "derpy", certainly still better and more pleasing to the eye than the eastern style Tera or such. Also some of the spell effects are horrible, but we've been served much worse.

Now, I would say that D&D works surprisingly nicely in action combat, but.. This is not the way. I very much dislike this 4th edition crap about "at will" powers and so on. What happened to mages having limited powers and having to resort to normal weapons or trinkets and items when they wanted to save their magics? That was much, much more interesting. Now it's all epic & heroic when every mage goes "pew, pew, pew" with unlimited Magic Missiles, which are meant to be -very- powerful (trust me, 3.5e - quicken magic missiles & combine with another direct damage spell.)

To me it looks like this Neverwinter mmo will be too dumbed down. Mages are stereotypical fantasy mages, I doubt we will even have the real variety of spells, nothing close to what even DDO offers, I bet. I'm also very much against those "golden quest lines" leading us.

So yeah, my biggest problem is the ruleset used. It's just bad. Real time combat works when it's done well, but I would still prefer fully turn based. At the moment I'm putting my hopes away from MMOs and into Chaos Chronicles.

PS. 12:40 on video, he runs into the middle of melee's... As a MAGE, UNBUFFED. He should be dead in a second.

PPS. For anyone interested in a "real" Neverwinter Nights experience online, I can warm-heartedly suggest Baldur's Gate The Sword Coast Chronicles Persistant World.

Yes, I know this MMO has nothing to do with Neverwinter Nights, but those two sure seemed to mention it more than a few times. I would've of course preferred a Neverwinter Nights 3, even with the engine of NwN 2, just a new campaign and what not.. Instead we are served a F2P MMO.

We?re all dead, just say it.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

Best part of this video is fighting Traven Blackdagger, and the guy talks about seeing the daily power, and then the camera changes to his face just as the player does it, and as the player finished off the boss, and back to the game after everything is done. GREAT CAMERA WORK!

The game looks really fun, though. I'll probably play it. Whether it keeps my attention for long is another story.

I don't know whether it was done the same as this in STO, but I've always liked the idea of the Foundry (but didn't like STO), and the fact that you can actually mark doors and NPC's as quest givers for your quests and have it like it is just a quest of the developer made game sounds pretty sweet.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by Aviggin
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Latronus

Thanks for sharing.

However, the action combat sounds like it would get a bit dull doing the same 3-4 attacks over and over through all the game. And... is there anything else but shooting mobs? Looks more like Diablo or something.

I tend to agree and the first thing that came to my mind was GW2 with it's limited attacks.  That got boring fast.  I'll give it a go though, they might pull it off.  /shrug.

You are thinking of Tera not GW2. There is no class in Tera that has near as many skills as a GW2 class, and Tera's classes are limtied even more by sticking to the Holy Trinity, which GW2 is not handicapped by.

Anyway, the combat in Neverwinter looks like its masking Vindictus's combat which is the best action combat in the MMO genre.

[mod edit]

I do find that some classes feel very limiting, like engineer and some weapons on the necro.  For the most part though you have just as many, or more skills to use as the average mmo.  I can totally see why some people don't like having affixed skills, just the thought of it feels constricting but in the end it all works out to be the same.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread!  Neverwinter could adopt the system either way in my opinion, it will still feel like you are playing any other fantasy mmo XD

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    I must say, after watching a couple of videos on the Foundry I am very interested in this game. User generated content seems like a very smart way to ensure that there is always new content available without the developer having to spend a lot of money and resources on constantly creating new content.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Thanks OP.
  • chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    thnx for the vids, I have to laugh thou , those guys in the audiance did look like a bunch of zombies lol no interest what so ever.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    It actually shows you a glowing trail to follow for every quest lol..  Hand holding continues to get worse with every MMO that comes out.

no shit, this is lame

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Myrdynn
    It actually shows you a glowing trail to follow for every quest lol..  Hand holding continues to get worse with every MMO that comes out.

no shit, this is lame

other games have done this.. EQ2 did it.. sure others have as well can't remember off the top of my head though

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

no shit, this is lame

other games have done this.. EQ2 did it.. sure others have as well can't remember off the top of my head though

Did the glowing trail in EQ2 actually walk you through the quest?  I can't remember.. Been awhile

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

no shit, this is lame

Did the glowing trail in EQ2 actually walk you through the quest?  I can't remember.. Been awhile

you could toggle it on or off but it would lead you exactly where you needed to go

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

It wasn't as bad as seen here.  You could ask guards to 'lead' you to NPCs and the trail would take you there.  Even now, only about 60% of the EQ2 quests actually even show you where to go on the map WoW style.

I don't mind having a helping hand show me general locations of quest related things, but this is too much even for me.

Originally posted by Popori

It wasn't as bad as seen here.  You could ask guards to 'lead' you to NPCs and the trail would take you there.  Even now, only about 60% of the EQ2 quests actually even show you where to go on the map WoW style.

I don't mind having a helping hand show me general locations of quest related things, but this is too much even for me.

how do you know all neverwinter quests have this trail? and it's not toggable?(if that was answered in the video i missed it)...

age of wushu takes it a step further no trail but you don't even need to be at your keyboard to get where you want to go :P

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

how do you know all neverwinter quests have this trail? and it's not toggable?(if that was answered in the video i missed it)

The guy narrating said you could turn it off if you didnt want to use it so I dont see no problem with it whatsoever and IMO anyone who does is simply worrying too much about other peoples playstyles when the only playstyle that should matter to them is their own.

Originally posted by Asheram

how do you know all neverwinter quests have this trail? and it's not toggable?(if that was answered in the video i missed it)

The guy narrating said you could turn it off if you didnt want to use it so I dont see no problem with it whatsoever and IMO anyone who does is simply worrying too much about other peoples playstyles when the only playstyle that should matter to them is their own.

yea just caught that.. really a non-issue imho:)

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

how do you know all neverwinter quests have this trail? and it's not toggable?(if that was answered in the video i missed it)...

age of wushu takes it a step further no trail but you don't even need to be at your keyboard to get where you want to go :P

As it can be toggled on or off not seeing this as a Issue.

Hehe only people i can see having a problem with it would be those too lazy to turn it off. (not sure its on by defualt.)

Meh but it seems most people aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

It's odd, I was just looking at some videos on the game out of boredom, and happen to stop in here before bed and this was one of the topics I first saw.

While I was watching this video, I was wondering to myself what ever happen to D&D computer games when you could only use so many spells and had to sleep to learn them again? This rapid fire magic has got to stop! :) It's not just this game, but also others that have rapid fire bows, or super spinning warriors and their two handed swords.

I understand it's a game, and magic isn't real, but I would like to see a bit more reality or thought put into new titles. 

I'm not knocking this game, it looks good and I will play it, but it looks to action oriented to me!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

I hope you dont think I was referencing you was actually referencing those you were replying to while answering your question =p.

And yeah as far as you add on of Age of Wushu alot of the f2p asian games have auto pathing. 

I hope you dont think I was referencing you was actually referencing those you were replying to while answering your question =p.

And yeah as far as you add on of Age of Wushu alot of the f2p asian games have auto pathing. 

yea i know i played plenty of f2p games in the past with auto pathing although many didn't work out that well a lot of the times and you would get stuck all the time heh..

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

guys are misunderstanding the people complaining about it even being in game or not, whether you can turn it of or not, are generally just pissed by the dumbing down of the genre that just keeps continuing

people who like it fine, they are the ones that bitch when they try a game without it and cant figure out where to go, simply by I dunno actually reading the text.  It builds story and lore, and knowledge.  

If I need all these quest helpers, why not just give me a max level char and then start the game

guys are misunderstanding the people complaining about it even being in game or not, whether you can turn it of or not, are generally just pissed by the dumbing down of the genre that just keeps continuing

people who like it fine, they are the ones that bitch when they try a game without it and cant figure out where to go, simply by I dunno actually reading the text.  It builds story and lore, and knowledge.  

If I need all these quest helpers, why not just give me a max level char and then start the game

Where do these people bitch?Because as it stands I hear more of your type bitching about stuff being in a game regardless of whether it can be not  used-like fast travel, or turned off etc like quest directionals.

edit -which gives me the impression that you are of the type that wants to force your playstyle on others rather than having choices available for all.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Not going to comment on what I quoted before editting.  Staying on topic. On the fence about it, till I get to play it. The video doesn't sway me one way or the other.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Where do these people bitch?Because as it stands I hear more of your type bitching about stuff being in a game regardless of whether it can be not  used-like fast travel, or turned off etc like quest directionals.

edit -which gives me the impression that you are of the type that wants to force your playstyle on others rather than having choices available for all.

Not sure I understand the posters set in stone standards. Some nights i might come home and want a steak dinner, other nights i might just want a cheezburger. Gaming is to me much like that. One night i might want a thought provoking deep game thats a mental challenge. Other nights i might come home tired and worn out from work and just want to relax by killing some  monsters having a option in a game to make it easier or harder depending on my mood is not to me a negative.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Amjoco

It's odd, I was just looking at some videos on the game out of boredom, and happen to stop in here before bed and this was one of the topics I first saw.

While I was watching this video, I was wondering to myself what ever happen to D&D computer games when you could only use so many spells and had to sleep to learn them again? This rapid fire magic has got to stop! :) It's not just this game, but also others that have rapid fire bows, or super spinning warriors and their two handed swords.

I understand it's a game, and magic isn't real, but I would like to see a bit more reality or thought put into new titles. 

I'm not knocking this game, it looks good and I will play it, but it looks to action oriented to me!

They've did that before.  They are boring.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Neo_Liberty

Thanks for sharing.

I agree... but i'm sure it has skills.. afterall it is an mmo.. He stated that the "basic skills" were mapped to left and right click.. which would imply that there are more... how many more is left to be seen.

If it's like most action combat games, they merely upgrade attacks, with very little variety and certainly no ability to use multiple abilities on the fly without having to cycle through menus or use of the scroll wheel, which I find tends to be either unresponsive or diffiicult to select what you want accurately and as quickly as the game demands.  PS2 comes to mind when using the mouse scroll wheel to change weapons.  It's clunky and terribly easy to over scroll past your intended choice.  But then again, I am not a fan of action combat and I can already see a bit of pushback from the community with every MMO embracing this philosophy and completely throwing out tab target / hotbar slower paced combat.  Something tells me this is a vocal minoirty controlling the genre just like the raiders and PvPers and there will end up being a lot of self correcting in the near future.

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    this game has replaced TESO for me. Got my beta key and awaiting beta! cant wait till it starts!