Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does TESO offer that GW2 does not?

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek
    Aion is a pretty damn good character creator. I did Wolverine, joker, that girl from underworld and i had fun playing barbie dress up... But thats all about aion. Best char creator ever.

If that's all you can comment on, then that's all you can comment on.

Zone loads in Aion IMO were really good (1-3 seconds).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by evilastro

- PvP as part of the world, rather than a seperate entity

People keep saying this, but it's not really true.  You will have your PvP area (zone), and that's it.  You can't pvp anywhere else.  Once cyrodiil fills up, another one is just opened up.  Making it more instanced / phased than "open world".  I don't see TESO and WvW as really being any different from what we have been told.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

How about a world that isn't in GW2?

New chars / story line / lore etc.

'Buying X influences me to not buy Y' made little sense to me.

Buying Skyrim didn't influence me buying Witcher2.

Buying Super Meat Boy didn't influence me on buying Super Mario Bros. etc

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Depending on how divided the factions are...

...the horrifying possibility of aligator and cat people ERPing.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by ragz45
    Originally posted by evilastro

- PvP as part of the world, rather than a seperate entity

People keep saying this, but it's not really true.  You will have your PvP area (zone), and that's it.  You can't pvp anywhere else.  Once cyrodiil fills up, another one is just opened up.  Making it more instanced / phased than "open world".  I don't see TESO and WvW as really being any different from what we have been told.

The difference is persistance, each campaign consists of 2k players, those players are locked to that campaign unless they pay (with progression) to change, the campaigns dont reset (but the score does one victory is clear) if you capture and hold a keep you keep it until someone takes it from you, campaigns are just server replacements due to the mega server they have far more in common with servers than they do instances

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Don't take this the wrong way, I liked GW game play quite a bit and GW2 is a massive improvement making it a legitimate MMORPG that I still play. But compared to TES, the backstory and lore of the GW universe has the cobbled-together feel of an amateurish afterthought.

I've been playing TES since the original, Arena and I have always felt that the game world is as well thought out and consistent as most mainstream fantasy series.

Put another way... I can easily see how you could use the setting of TES for good fantasy novels. The GW lore is more suited to a comic book...if that.

But at the end of the day it's mostly about the game play isn't it? GW2 is very playable. TESO? Sounds good so far but that's a long way from being good...we'll see when we see.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well hopefully its less "gamey". Gw2 feels too polished and plastic, the mmo equivelent of 80s music.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Well hopefully its less "gamey". Gw2 feels too polished and plastic, the mmo equivelent of 80s music.

If it were truly like 80's music, the visuals would be hyper-bizarre and impossible to understand.  Remember the music videos back then?  Eesh lol

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by crysent

Just currious what do you guys see TESO offering you that GW2 currently does not offer?  What improvements do you see TESO having over GW2?  Almost my entire guild left GW2 within a month of the game's release.  When I ask most of them why they left they can't really pin it down to anything specific.  Just that they lost interest, and couldn't be bothered to log in.  The three big changes I see being different are

• Lore - ESO and GW both have a well established lore, ESO is just different.  But both are equally good.  And while this is a different aspect between the two games.  I don't see it as an improvment.
    • Character development - This is where I think TESO will really shine.  The character development in gw2 is sort of lacking In my opinion.  Being stuck with certain weapons for certain classes, and having skills tied to those weapons kind of bugs me.  And after you have unlocked all of the attacks for each weapon, you really don't have anything huge to look forward to as far as advancing your character.
    • Seamless world - Having no loading screens will be a nice change.

What other changes do you see between two games?  Of those changes is it really an improvement?

Duh, everything, TESO offers everything GW2 currently does not!  Don't you know?!  TESO is the new kid on the block and no one here is going to complain about it until after it releases.  Until then we will have the highest expectations and defend it feverishly.

However, after it releases we will all just complain about it and call it a massive failure.

You really haven't done your homework. There are tons of TESO hater threads already just as there were GW2 hater threads before GW2 came out. Word of old wisdom. Best to remain silent and let people think you are a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

• fitzzerlefoufitzzerlefou Member UncommonPosts: 22
    from what I read here, its mostly the same thing, anyway everyone will come on forum to QQ about the game.
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Originally posted by fitzzerlefou
    from what I read here, its mostly the same thing, anyway everyone will come on forum to QQ about the game.

People won't have time to whine on the forums because they got so much progressing to do.

• MMO-ManiacMMO-Maniac Member Posts: 176

Ah, here we go.

It has begun.

Yet to be released X is so much better than or will be better than released game Y...ect ect

In a coulple weeks it'll be Yet to be released game X will suck because released game Y  has so and so.

And so on...it's really funny how predictable this site has become.

Gonna enjoy the show and get a chuckle.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

Just currious what do you guys see TESO offering you that GW2 currently does not offer?  What improvements do you see TESO having over GW2?  Almost my entire guild left GW2 within a month of the game's release.  When I ask most of them why they left they can't really pin it down to anything specific.  Just that they lost interest, and couldn't be bothered to log in.  The three big changes I see being different are

• Lore - ESO and GW both have a well established lore, ESO is just different.  But both are equally good.  And while this is a different aspect between the two games.  I don't see it as an improvment.
    • Character development - This is where I think TESO will really shine.  The character development in gw2 is sort of lacking In my opinion.  Being stuck with certain weapons for certain classes, and having skills tied to those weapons kind of bugs me.  And after you have unlocked all of the attacks for each weapon, you really don't have anything huge to look forward to as far as advancing your character.

What other changes do you see between two games?  Of those changes is it really an improvement?

I think the lore is far more in depth with TESO. The series has decades of lore development. In my opinion, the Elder Scrolls lore feels more genuine. The lore of Guild Wars is good, but always has some tag line like "you never fight alone" or some other pointless, feel good crap. Consider the Daedra vs. the Elder Dragons. Zhaitan is raising undead. He is a force, a plot element, not a character. The Daedra are lustful, meddling characters that make the world more interesting.

Personally, I think TESO will take the mechanics that GW2 pioneered or leveraged and make them even better, all with a deeper lore setting and more open world.

Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

If it were truly like 80's music, the visuals would be hyper-bizarre and impossible to understand.  Remember the music videos back then?  Eesh lol

IDK... I still like "Addicted to Love" image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    An MMORPG. Also true PvP (I hope) and not what passes for it in GW2.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by crysent

Duh, everything, TESO offers everything GW2 currently does not!  Don't you know?!  TESO is the new kid on the block and no one here is going to complain about it until after it releases.  Until then we will have the highest expectations and defend it feverishly.

However, after it releases we will all just complain about it and call it a massive failure.

Sad... but true.

Ill still play TESO.  Im curious how the combat will feel.  I like GW2 but the combat feels 'awkward' to me.  Doesnt fit an MMORPG title to me.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I don't understand why people are so upset over GW2 :D Are people getting more and more naive on these forums? People hype GW2 on this forum like crazy then start to just hate it. Now again people praise this TES game and for some reason believe that it will do everything better than GW2. GW2 apparently did everything wrong and now it's TES' time to get everything right?

People said no trinity was cool. Now trinity is not cool. Do people on these boards change their opinions every 5 minutes?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by fivoroth

People said no trinity was cool. Now trinity is not cool. Do people on these boards change their opinions every 5 minutes?

You know those first 2 sentences mean the same thing... right?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

I don't understand why people are so upset over GW2 :D Are people getting more and more naive on these forums? People hype GW2 on this forum like crazy then start to just hate it. Now again people praise this TES game and for some reason believe that it will do everything better than GW2. GW2 apparently did everything wrong and now it's TES' time to get everything right?

They change there minds every time a new MMO comes out. I enjoyed GW2, I hope to enjoy TESO. and beyond!

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Full roles with a trinity system. If i want to be a full healer that can actually keep a whole group alive i can and that goes all the other roles.

Better world.

Better lore.

Better RVR.

Better PVP without the zerg fest that is GW2

Normal and Dynamic quests.

Non scaling dungeons.

A real RP experiance, GW2 RP features are a joke.

No comparison and thank god for that.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Originally posted by Iselin

Yet, I knew what he meant..Im a genius! Genius I say. Mwahahahaha

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Originally posted by Daxamar
    Originally posted by Iselin

Yet, I knew what he meant..Im a genius! Genius I say. Mwahahahaha

Yep, but it looks like you already reached insanity. ;)

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Whats with all the GW2 hate? Its a fun game and I am still enjoying it and I personally hope its around a long time. I will agree it needs work but what new MMO does not. The one thing I am surprised I miss in GW2 is the holly trinity and I hope its alive and well in ESO. I have seen a few articles where it said 90% of the content can be done with any of the classes. So this makes me worry. I find the lack of trinity in GW2 makes me want to look for a new MMO. 

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by deakon
    Originally posted by Skeeter50
    Originally posted by boxsnd

endgame

real pvp progression

your enemies don't look the same as your allies

trinity

a game engine that allows more than 50 player fights without melting your computer

(hopefully) the pve zones won't be empty due to the mega-server tech

But at the moment we know very little about the game. I'm refusing to get hyped until I actually play it for a while. I'm very cautious after the GW2 disaster.

Dude, they say no trinity....I said "Nooooooo ahhhhhhhh"! Does sound like gw2, really sad at this moment.

From zams hands on

"the Holy Trinity is alive and well in The Elder Scrolls Online"

did they add in an aggro mechanic then? another one i found

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-04-the-elder-scrolls-online-preview-leaked-detailed

That mechanic aims to ruffle the healer/tank/damage MMO trinity, but those classes appear to generally be intact. There's no aggro table in The Elder Scrolls Online, which means an enemy is just as likely to attack you for picking your nose as it is the warrior smacking it in the face.

Not sure how you can really consider it the Holy Trinity with no aggro.. curious how the tanking role would work then.

They could possibly do something positionally.  I always thought that if there were a dedicated healer and a couple more abilities, the Guardian in GW2 could be a good tank.  I think if you have collision detection and combat like TERA or GW2 where if you are in front of an attack you will get hit, then positional tanking could be interesting.  Where the goal of tanking isn't holding aggro, but making sure you are between the attacking mob and everyone else.  This could have worked interestingly in GW2 I think with dedicated healing classes (I'm no saying they should have done this, just that they could have if they had chosen to use trinity mechanics with the combat they have).  I think tanking with no aggro mechanics could be interesting (the the emphasis on could).