Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does TESO offer that GW2 does not?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by deakon
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

No its persistant as in it doesnt reset, there are set campaigns, the score will reset when someone wins but keeps remain in he hands of those that captured them and in the condition they captured them in.

curious what they have plans for when one side is completely dominating the other two factions.. saw this plenty in TSW and even GW2 even with 3 factions there are often times 1 can easily hold its own against 2 others. Also wonder how they will handle campaign transfers..

Well they have said each campaign holds up to 2k players, If it was me I would make sure that as it fills up no faction can have more than double the faction with the lowest population, then at least zerg faction will always be outnumbered by the other 2 factions.

Also remember the map is a lot bigger than gw2's already pretty big map and with the average faction having 667 players each thats a lot of map to hold on to

makes sense and hopefully it is something already planned:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

endgame

real pvp progression

your enemies don't look the same as your allies

trinity

a game engine that allows more than 50 player fights without melting your computer

(hopefully) the pve zones won't be empty due to the mega-server tech

But at the moment we know very little about the game. I'm refusing to get hyped until I actually play it for a while. I'm very cautious after the GW2 disaster.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• Skeeter50Skeeter50 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by boxsnd

endgame

real pvp progression

trinity

a game engine that allows more than 50 player fights without melting your computer

But at the moment we know very little about the game. I'm refusing to get hyped until I actually play it for a while. I'm very cautious after the GW2 disaster.

Dude, they say no trinity....I said "Nooooooo ahhhhhhhh"! Does sound like gw2, really sad at this moment.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Well theres plenty but if your into sandbox's, building stuff or hardcore FFA type PvP then not much so dont even bother looking further.

If your into solid exploration centric gameplay and open world dynamic content then ESO offers only something that GW2 doesn't.  Puclic dungeons, which are a return to content that was prevelant during the early years of MMO's.  That is my main focus I am looking forward too.

The other huge thing is character progression, for all intents and purposes character progression stops in GW2 at level 30 when you aquire your elite skill.  It does pick back up at level 80 as far as gear is concerned but that too is very easy to max out.  I love GW2 for what it does, but I do not like its character progression at all.  Easy to aquire but my biggest pet peeve is how quick it is to obtain, making running content not as important as it should be.  In ESO your able to continue to progress your character and the Devs have stated that level cap is only about a third (1/3rd) of the way through character progression on a skill and ability standpoint.  Then you have gear which will be even more progression.  I'm old fashioned so actually running dungeons and other forms of content for gear is actually soemthing I miss greatly from GW2.

so in a nutshell here is my list but it is not comprehensive (as I wont include PvP or RvR as I am not at all looking at that as a form of content for myself since I am a PvE'er at heart.

• Deep meaningful character progression
    • Mix & match armor/weapon use giving more advanced forms of character customization
    • Open world exploration centric gameplay...as long as they shy away from Reknown heart type content then this will work.
    • A return of public dungeons
    • Elder Scrolls Lore
    • Faction locking making creating alts rewarding and adding to replayability
    • Action combat and not boring tab targetting nonsense
    • Rewarding skilled gameplay.  You will earn more XP and better loot for doing better in PvE
    • Resource based  combat (Stamina, health & magika)

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Also remember the map is a lot bigger than gw2's already pretty big map and with the average faction having 667 players each thats a lot of map to hold on to

One thing I'm wondering is how they will handle mega-server populations of 250,000 connections and having only 1 RVR zone capped at 2,000.  I don't see how that would work without either locking players out of RVR or making another instance of the RVR zone.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by XAPGames

One thing I'm wondering is how they will handle mega-server populations of 250,000 connections and having only 1 RVR zone capped at 2,000.  I don't see how that would work without either locking players out of RVR or making another instance of the RVR zone.

it makes other instances of the RvR zone it's not just one single zone.. they call the instances campaigns

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Skeeter50

endgame

real pvp progression

trinity

Dude, they say no trinity....I said "Nooooooo ahhhhhhhh"! Does sound like gw2, really sad at this moment.

From zams hands on

"the Holy Trinity is alive and well in The Elder Scrolls Online"

endgame

real pvp progression

trinity

From zams hands on

did they add in an aggro mechanic then? another one i found

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-04-the-elder-scrolls-online-preview-leaked-detailed

That mechanic aims to ruffle the healer/tank/damage MMO trinity, but those classes appear to generally be intact. There's no aggro table in The Elder Scrolls Online, which means an enemy is just as likely to attack you for picking your nose as it is the warrior smacking it in the face.

Not sure how you can really consider it the Holy Trinity with no aggro.. curious how the tanking role would work then.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

endgame

real pvp progression

trinity

From zams hands on

did they add in an aggro mechanic then?

No idea, was a long time between the 2 articles so they could have

tbh i didnt like gw2 because of the lack of agro, not saying it cant be done I've just never seen it done well.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by XAPGames

RvR instead of WvW is one thing I see.

And a chance for that RvR to be skill-less gear based zerg fest since we know next to nothing about the game.

The only real difference between RvR and WvW is one is based on Realms, the other, Servers. OOOhh, aahhh. As for the "but we dont see their names and thus there wont be any grudges" comments I keep seeing about GW2...TESO is going to be one massive server with instanced, ermm, I mean, Campaigns, you may rarely see the same people in RvR since every single player that is going to play the game will be going to the same RvR zones to PvP.

The campaigns will place you in the same instances as your friends/guilds...but that does not apply to your enemies in the same instanced RvR zone.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88
    It will feel like an actual MMO instead of a shallow empty single player game that GW2 was.

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

Well... GW2 is the worst thing I ever had installed in my pc. No story, bad pve, bad pvp, bad quests, stupid public crap without any meaning... I mean, GW2 is prolly the worst mmo I've ever seen. It has NOTHING I can say its good... all the game is bad. WoW is FREAKIN AWESOME compared to GW2. Its like... it doesnt even have a story! Its an uninspiring shalow anime.

So if you're going to compare TESO with GW2, even without seeing TESO, TESO is already better BY FAR.

Everything and anything.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    There is no way for anyone to honestly answer that question until at least the open BETA. Until then any answers to said quesiton should be taken with a large mountain full of salt. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    So Cyrodiil will have different campaigns... if a player joins one and their faction is losing then they could just keep switching until they find one that's winning?
  • ppljuiceppljuice Member UncommonPosts: 16
    HAHAHA True true true true, BUT lets us hope that TESO is actually good so they don't destroy my freaking LORE of the ages. Half my life has been spent on elder scrolls lore from even in grade school, so I hope that they deliver a game worth years of attention and content that is glorious beyond our comprehension. But yeah in general you are right, if TESO blows ass I'll be the first to rage about it lol.
    phased RvR zone is my guess, You will be competing for the same stuff but maybe a different phase. Gonna be interesting to see how that pans out. maybe different channels like in Aion and other games so you can have 50million people on if you want doing the same stuff but this is just speculation.
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

There is the trinity in ESO, it's just not the standard fighting the scripted enemy battle. The enemy AI have the same skills and abilities that you have. And they can tank, heal and do damage just like you can. So that's your main difference between tanking in a game like WoW with aggro management and scripted battles and ESO where you will have to actually react to what the AI is doing in order to tank them effectively.

Also, no one mentioned the fact that Kill Cams are in (at least according to the alpha reviewers from October).

endgame

real pvp progression

trinity

True words freely flow from your mouth, but I am TESO excited just from my love of the lore standpoint.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by crysent
    Originally posted by ragz45

Just currious what do you guys see TESO offering you that GW2 currently does not offer?  What improvements do you see TESO having over GW2?  Almost my entire guild left GW2 within a month of the game's release.  When I ask most of them why they left they can't really pin it down to anything specific.  Just that they lost interest, and couldn't be bothered to log in.  The three big changes I see being different are

• Lore - ESO and GW both have a well established lore, ESO is just different.  But both are equally good.  And while this is a different aspect between the two games.  I don't see it as an improvment.
    • Character development - This is where I think TESO will really shine.  The character development in gw2 is sort of lacking In my opinion.  Being stuck with certain weapons for certain classes, and having skills tied to those weapons kind of bugs me.  And after you have unlocked all of the attacks for each weapon, you really don't have anything huge to look forward to as far as advancing your character.
    • Seamless world - Having no loading screens will be a nice change.

What other changes do you see between two games?  Of those changes is it really an improvement?

Duh, everything, TESO offers everything GW2 currently does not!  Don't you know?!  TESO is the new kid on the block and no one here is going to complain about it until after it releases.  Until then we will have the highest expectations and defend it feverishly.

However, after it releases we will all just complain about it and call it a massive failure.

lol +1, I never understood this till the last 3 games released and how the whole community changed before and after. It use to not be this way, but yeah latly in the last 2 years or so, this is the mentality for sure.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

- Gear treadmill

- Healers

- PvP as part of the world, rather than a seperate entity

- Elder Scrolls lore and races

- More freeform class development

Not saying that I personally need or want any of the above. But thats what it offers that GW2 does not have.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

So, three pages in and no one actually answered the OPs question.

The answer is NOTHING.

A game that is NOT out yet, offers NOTHING.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    This is really premature guys... but I did laugh at the "no loading screens" part.  I'd rather have an occasional loading screen than be completely cut off from certain parts of the game.  TESO is not going to be "seamless".
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    This is really premature guys... but I did laugh at the "no loading screens" part.  I'd rather have an occasional loading screen than be completely cut off from certain parts of the game.  TESO is not going to be "seamless".

I wish it were seemless.  ESO is going to have loadscreens.  What would be amusing is if they use the same dated technology from 1999 and slowly load each zone in it's entirity, ala EQ and SWTOR.

Nice long load times make for good discussion, lol.

The counter for that is WoW and Aion, for example.  Those engines load only what they need to.  Aion is even better than WoW.  a teleport / reload only takes a couple seconds, literally.  Even when entering a brand new area, on the other side of the world.

In Aion, a zone load results in an instaneous position change first, graphics come later.  So you may not see all the players around you, or the graphic detail when you zone in .. it happens while you move around (and do whatever).  I prefer that approach.

Doing a full zone loading to harddisk (before the game is playable, ie long load times) blows chunks.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Aion is a pretty damn good character creator. I did Wolverine, joker, that girl from underworld and i had fun playing barbie dress up... But thats all about aion. Best char creator ever.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Originally posted by jtcgs

So, three pages in and no one actually answered the OPs question.

The answer is NOTHING.

A game that is NOT out yet, offers NOTHING.

Pft I already stated the obvious major difference between Guild Wars 2 and ESO and you missed it!

Well, I shall repeat myself just for you.

Kill Cams!

By the way, there's obviously more than just that but I'll let you do your own research and figure it out. =)