Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Wushu Nailed it.

Comments

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217

Fun with the people saying "you're just doing it wrong". Always makes me crack up lol. Certainly haven't heard that before. xD

Anyway, game does look okay. Shame I dislike the theme though. Really not into asian stuff :/

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by dwarfus
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by cowhead
    I just wish that Malware Bytes didn't flag the game as malware everytime I try to launch the game. Easy fix I guess but considering I have never seen another MMO make my comp react like that, I just don't trust it.

I'm telling you, it's a back door hack that China is putting into our networks for future access in a cyber war scenario.  Yes, that's hardcore conspiracy theory stuff, and it's partly stated for fun.  However, noone can deny that the Chinese have been getting agressive with their cyber attacks on western news agencies and even attempts on DoD computers.  Why not target domestic computers for data farming?  Like I said, this is partly in jest but also a possiblity to consider.

OMG. This is like the 8th anti-asian  post. 

Not everyone is out to get you. Are they competitive? Yes, but this is the equivilent of living in China and saying Wow is going to implant some western soy machine into my computer. 

It's a good thing Fallen Earth came out. I bet you're loving that game.

Warning about something that's real world abourt China and saying something anti-Asian are two different things.  Also, I think you are trying to hard with the Fallen Earth comment.  I'm sure it was an attempt to get back at me for my "anti-asian" post.

woa were you serious with your back door chinese hack job theory?

Why shouldn't he be? 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Why does every AoE thread I visit turn into a bc vs the world thread? Face it bc, it has some interesting ideas but it looks like its very unpolished. Ill hopefully be able to try it soon and give my opinion.

Hey kupp, good to see you too. Little busy working on my alt I decided to make at about 12 am lastnight; thanks mmorpg.com for the beta key!

I was looking for better wine lastnight. A couple of skills I learned last week allowed me to gain a buff when I'm drunk, and use an ability, see below...

I love it so much, I've began to consume A LOT of wine. About 2 days ago something strange happened. After drinking for a while, I use to become "Typse." When typse I'd walk around like a drunk, stumbling and dizzy. That all stopped. I had built up a tolorence. 

Thus began my quest for better wine. Through a friend I learned what was need to make wine, rice was the main ingrediant  He told me to grow some rice, "Okay..."

I became a farmer. (and found out that crops can be stolen . I didin't figure how, all I know is that at some point, crops become unprotected image) At that point I had an ephiny. A vision of a farmer of merger means, who makes great wine (chiefs make wine), and who also indulges in that wine, which maaay lead to some problems from time to time. My alt was born.

I took these pictures lastnight, but decided not to make a thread, but because you YOU Kuppa! Being always compeling as you are, you pulled it out of me image Back to the game.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Why does every AoE thread I visit turn into a bc vs the world thread? Face it bc, it has some interesting ideas but it looks like its very unpolished. Ill hopefully be able to try it soon and give my opinion.

It's not "very unpolished" at all.  It needs some localization work, but other than that it has been a blast for me.  I personally don't mind games that lack a little polish, as long as they are much more fun and involved than the super-polished and utterly yawn-inspiring gameplay we get from games like GW2 and SWTOR.

This game isn't for everyone.  If you don't like the theme of it and some of the game's mechanics, I can understand that.  It does need some work, but they are taking care of it.  However, it's also not some giant clunky mess as some people here describe.  I found that I got sucked into the game very easily, and that I enjoy having to use my brain while I learn the systems. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Adokas

Fun with the people saying "you're just doing it wrong". Always makes me crack up lol. Certainly haven't heard that before. xD

Anyway, game does look okay. Shame I dislike the theme though. Really not into asian stuff :/

That is a perfectly valid reason not to play any game. I always wanted eve to be a bit less ship in space a bit more pilot in the space station. But that wouldn't be Eve.

Some of the mechanics that I really have learned to like, like the wire-fu jump moves that really make terrain act different than in other games, are genre specific. But I see no reason why a more fantasy based game couldn't incorporate some of the listed elements, in fact it is one reason why I chose the ones listed.

Fantasy games can have more than two boring factions, they can have open world pvp and a proper justice system to keep it in check, they can have good crafting and grindless level up systems. I am just wishing one of them would do some of this, 2013-2016 maybe we will see it happen. I don't know though the inspiration for it has been around a long time, eve has what almost 10 years going now? Still we have not seen anyone copy its level up system from the west. Look at the 2012 MMORPG releases from the west.

SWTOR- Wow clone, very polished...perhaps the most polished story line based mmorpg ever but absolutely nothing new but cinematics...because we all asked for cinematics in our games?

TSW- Three factions...and a neutrered pvp system, a one rail themepark quest system. Interesting modern asthetics and story line but in the end it was as themepark as they come.

GW2- Not so great crafting...come on be honest it wasn't that great, beautiful world, nothing much to do at the end but grind pve or WvW pvp.

content/update driven stuff not player driven, you literally beat SWTOR, TSW was designed around monthly updates to add more rides to the themepark, and gw2...well it is what it is.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I tried to get excited for this game, and I do like some of the features I've read about, but I can't really get into the Asian setting.  I hope future western MMOs incorporate some of the good ideas from AoW.
  • BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    I can understand why people who hate kung fu stuff and Chinese culture in general are turned off by AoW's setting and style.

I'm not really into the whole Wuxia thing myself but I was pulled into the game world anyhow since the mechanics and features are hard to resist.

Can't wait til Western devs start copying them and applying them to a gritty low fantasy setting.
  • DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by Biskop
    I can understand why people who hate kung fu stuff and Chinese culture in general are turned off by AoW's setting and style.

I'm not really into the whole Wuxia thing myself but I was pulled into the game world anyhow since the mechanics and features are hard to resist.

Can't wait til Western devs start copying them and applying them to a gritty low fantasy setting.

Great idea. Let's make MORE fantasy games. 

Regardless of how "low" fantasy they are, they are still fantasy. If I play one more sword and magic game I am going to shoot myself with a .45. 

Age of Wushu is a breath of fresh air in this regard. [mod edit]

• xSh0xxSh0x Member Posts: 125

The primary problems with AoW are the translations.  This game has a wide variety of highly complex features.  Unfortunately, it is difficult to understand any of these, and they are not as well balanced as they could be.  The skill system is very abstract and "the seven winds summon the light chi heavenly attack" combat explanations leave the competitive PvPer confused.  Very very few people will be able to min/max gear in this game or have a complete numerical, not nominal, understanding of the massive amount of skills and social abilities.

The same can be said of crafting and social dynamics.

The game is seemingly very mysterious and I feel the potential for imbalance, which is extremely important in a PvP centric game, could really hurt it.

Regarding settings, they are interesting.  I don't like the overt realism.  It has nothing to do with it being Asian.  That said, if you are a fan of pseudo-realistic martial arts games, this may be the game of the decade for you.

After a year or so of solid translations and localization, it may be a great hit for any player.  Although, I think with Blade & Soul and ArcheAge later this year, it will shine dimly in comparison.

Originally posted by xSh0x

The primary problems with AoW are the translations.  This game has a wide variety of highly complex features.  Unfortunately, it is difficult to understand any of these, and they are not as well balanced as they could be.  The skill system is very abstract and "the seven winds summon the light chi heavenly attack" combat explanations leave the competitive PvPer confused.  Very very few people will be able to min/max gear in this game or have a complete numerical, not nominal, understanding of the massive amount of skills and social abilities.

The same can be said of crafting and social dynamics.

The game is seemingly very mysterious and I feel the potential for imbalance, which is extremely important in a PvP centric game, could really hurt it.

Regarding settings, they are interesting.  I don't like the overt realism.  It has nothing to do with it being Asian.  That said, if you are a fan of pseudo-realistic martial arts games, this may be the game of the decade for you.

After a year or so of solid translations and localization, it may be a great hit for any player.  Although, I think with Blade & Soul and ArcheAge later this year, it will shine dimly in comparison.

We'll see. Until then Flying Flowers from roof tops.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Tried it but jsut couldn't get into it.  Appreciate the key I got from this site but it only reinforced my notion that a non triple-A game is not something I will ever enjoy.  Maybe one day a mainstream company will do a sandbox with the prodcution quality to amass a good audience and not some niche playerbase.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Tried it but jsut couldn't get into it.  Appreciate the key I got from this site but it only reinforced my notion that a non triple-A game is not something I will ever enjoy.  Maybe one day a mainstream company will do a sandbox with the prodcution quality to amass a good audience and not some niche playerbase.

...Non AAA, a company that has 20million+ playing their game, and hosting a $150,000 pvp tournament with a all expenses paid trip to China to boot, ookay. 

Mind telling what school you joined, and maybe something about the school quest line?

Originally posted by xSh0x Although, I think with Blade & Soul and ArcheAge later this year, it will shine dimly in comparison.

Blade & Soul looks horrible to me but maybe it is a gem, but I think we are all waiting on Archeage to see if it can live up to half the hype it has.

• park97park97 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by bcbully

...Non AAA, a company that has 20million+ playing their game, and hosting a $150,000 pvp tournament with a all expenses paid trip to China to boot, ookay. 

Mind telling what school you joined, and maybe something about the school quest line?

[mod edit]. This game took 300 developers 5 years development. Its an AAA product.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Doesn't matter how many developers worked on it or how much money was spent on it.  It is a PVP game, and those games do not do well in western markets.  There is no way to separate the PVE from PVP, so what you see is what you get.  If you like MMOs and open world PVP you will probably enjoy this game, but that is such a small player base in America.

Add that to the terrible PVE element and you have a ship that is listing into port.  A awful translation, seriously bad lag and a very sketchy company behind the game...well, it's pretty easy to see why this game will fizzle out over here pretty quick.

Originally posted by koboldfodder

Doesn't matter how many developers worked on it or how much money was spent on it.  It is a PVP game, and those games do not do well in western markets.  There is no way to separate the PVE from PVP, so what you see is what you get.  If you like MMOs and open world PVP you will probably enjoy this game, but that is such a small player base in America.

Add that to the terrible PVE element and you have a ship that is listing into port.  A awful translation, seriously bad lag and a very sketchy company behind the game...well, it's pretty easy to see why this game will fizzle out over here pretty quick.

This game is doing pretty good in western markets including Russian and Europe. I'm from Canada and I love PVP games. don't tell me Americans don't like Pvp. If you like pve, go play sim city or hello kitty online. I'm in east coast Canada, I haven't experienced any lag. Maybe it's your router issue.

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189

So where do you get your information from ?

Just because American developers make bad pvp sysytems does not mean NA does not like pvp.  there is a reason why they try and implement pvp into every single mmo because many people enjoy pvp.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

The first beta I was in after reading up on game. Made everything sound interesting. Graphically I thought the game was ok. I like graphics, but I'm not too much of a graphics wh***. The game just was too restrictive for me.  At least last time I played not sure if it changed. (Did one beta before they removed flying skills from starting quest, and one after)  For the first time since probably UO I was highly interested in crafting/gathering stuff. It's just that the limits they put on it.  You can do x amount a day, then your advancement is halted. Just seems like a really stupid decision for something that is sandbox like.

I also found the combat to be lacking. I just didn't enjoy it at all. It ended up hating it more the first time I did that dungeon. Forget what it's called off top of my head. Just found it to be too clunky and not responsive enough for what it was trying to set it self up as. Also found the animations for combat to be lacking.

Not saying I found the entire game bad. AoW has alot of mechanics/systems that did interest me alot.  It's just the core things I wanted to do I found I didn't enjoy. The schools are interesting as is the idea of School book stealing. How the various gathering and crafting skills works is interesting. The Tetris/Bejeweled style game for crafting is a nice twist and a bit addictive. At least once you get the hang of it. Being able to kidnap people is friggin priceless. The first time I did it, couldn't stop.  I also like how the sequences for performing the more uniques arts are. (Music, Painting, etc) There are other things I could go on about liking like Team Practice, but for all the things I do like. Just how combat and resource gathering is handled kills it for me. Not going to ask for a refund, but doubt I'll be playing it when it is finally released either.

My biggest complaint though. Is probably how poorly almost EVERYTHING in game is explained.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by DarkfallFanatic

Regardless of how "low" fantasy they are, they are still fantasy. If I play one more sword and magic game I am going to shoot myself with a .45. 

You realize the medieval fantasy setting is European in nature correct?  Not American.  Let's not turn this into a culture war.  If someone doesn't like a setting, who the hell are you to tell them otherwise?  You come off as more offensive than anyone.

Originally posted by Eir_S

You realize the medieval fantasy setting is European in nature correct?  Not American.  Let's not turn this into a culture war.  If someone doesn't like a setting, who the hell are you to tell them otherwise?  You come off as more offensive than anyone.

I am actually enjoying a game without elves, or any variation of elves, tree growing pointy eared creatures or anything that looks like an avatar alien in it. In fact going from TSW to this means I have actually had two such experiences back to back but I wouldn't mind a high or low fantasy game with some of these mechanics. Age of Wushu would definately fall on the low fantasy list as far as the old p&p rules would have made them. There is a little magic, a little extra super powers but no real unhuman enemies or extreme magic in the game.

Took me awhile to get use to the fact that everything is a human or normal animal though, I am so use to seeing the bad guy be three times larger than everyone around it or an inhuman demon creature.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by cowhead
    I just wish that Malware Bytes didn't flag the game as malware everytime I try to launch the game. Easy fix I guess but considering I have never seen another MMO make my comp react like that, I just don't trust it.

I don't know if this is related or not but 3 days after installing this game my main computer started acting up worse and worse until the entire operating system totally crashed on me and would not boot up at all. Now im stuck on this old windows XP machine with no sound! The slow down on my main computer all started the same day i installed Age of Wushu now that your post made me think about it. I ran Malwarebytes and Advanced systemcare scans daily after install nad everytime I scanned i got more and more adware and other malicious software the worst being that adBar worm thing....very nasty. Now I need a new operating system to get my computer up and running again and right now don't have the funds to buy one.

I'm so upset right now

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by park97
    Originally posted by bcbully

[mod edit]. This game took 300 developers 5 years development. Its an AAA product.

i really have a problem understanding this part AAA product with such poor translation how can it even qualify for this rating AAA......, guess we have different standards :p

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Says the dude called DarkfallFanatic.

Last time I checked DF was a fantasy game, but perhaps AV changed their mind and introduced bazookas and machine guns? Would make sense with that Quake-like combat.

But regardless of your personal view on the matter, fantasy games are popular - a lot more popular than Wuxia games, at least in the West. A solid AAA title with AoW's features set in a medieval-themed world (not necessarily a generic, tolkienesque elves n' dwarves n' dragons setting, mind you) would have droves of players pouring in.

This is coming from a major AoW fan, so don't get too worked up now. I happen to agree that the non-fantasy setting is a breath of fresh air but most Western gamers prefer their games to have a setting influenced by Western, not Asian, culture.

Says the dude called DarkfallFanatic.

Last time I checked DF was a fantasy game, but perhaps AV changed their mind and introduced bazookas and machine guns? Would make sense with that Quake-like combat.

But regardless of your personal view on the matter, fantasy games are popular - a lot more popular than Wuxia games, at least in the West. A solid AAA title with AoW's features set in a medieval-themed world (not necessarily a generic, tolkienesque elves n' dwarves n' dragons setting, mind you) would have droves of players pouring in.

This is coming from a major AoW fan, so don't get too worked up now. I happen to agree that the non-fantasy setting is a breath of fresh air but most Western gamers prefer their games to have a setting influenced by Western, not Asian, culture.

There are a large number of Americans grew up in 80s watching old shaw brother kung fu movies. We love MMA, we love martial arts wuxia mmo.

• fldashfldash Member UncommonPosts: 227

Originally posted by GrayKodiak
    Originally posted by xSh0x Although, I think with Blade & Soul and ArcheAge later this year, it will shine dimly in comparison.
    Blade & Soul looks horrible to me but maybe it is a gem, but I think we are all waiting on Archeage to see if it can live up to half the hype it has.

B&S looks horrible, but so does ArcheAge to me. I've heard bad things about the combat, and the combat looks bad in videos... No way can a game succeed with terrible combat considering that's 90% of what you do in a game.

Former xFire user... I only wanted a game tracker and messenger, not a screenshot taker, video recording, broadcasting piece of bloatware.