Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does TESO offer that GW2 does not?

ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Just currious what do you guys see TESO offering you that GW2 currently does not offer?  What improvements do you see TESO having over GW2?  Almost my entire guild left GW2 within a month of the game's release.  When I ask most of them why they left they can't really pin it down to anything specific.  Just that they lost interest, and couldn't be bothered to log in.  The three big changes I see being different are

• Lore - ESO and GW both have a well established lore, ESO is just different.  But both are equally good.  And while this is a different aspect between the two games.  I don't see it as an improvment.
  • Character development - This is where I think TESO will really shine.  The character development in gw2 is sort of lacking In my opinion.  Being stuck with certain weapons for certain classes, and having skills tied to those weapons kind of bugs me.  And after you have unlocked all of the attacks for each weapon, you really don't have anything huge to look forward to as far as advancing your character.
  • Seamless world - Having no loading screens will be a nice change.

What other changes do you see between two games?  Of those changes is it really an improvement?

Comments

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    GW cannot even come close to the Elder Scrolls series when it comes to lore, with all the games and books TES has .
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Like you the progression system is one of the things i'm most looking forward to, sounds awsome!

Also the RvR I think could be better than gw2's due to the fact that the conflict is a big part of the plot of the game, they're using an alternate advancement system to reward players for doing it, plus they've said that you can do things like "starve out" keeps (no idea how that works but me wants!)

There's plenty of other things i'm interested in (like dark anchors, "adventure zones", combat mechanics, no quest hubs etc), but we dont know enough about them to be excited yet.

edit: Also mountable giant land jelly-fish things (whats not to love?)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

RvR instead of WvW is one thing I see.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by ragz45

Just currious what do you guys see TESO offering you that GW2 currently does not offer?  What improvements do you see TESO having over GW2?  Almost my entire guild left GW2 within a month of the game's release.  When I ask most of them why they left they can't really pin it down to anything specific.  Just that they lost interest, and couldn't be bothered to log in.  The three big changes I see being different are

• Lore - ESO and GW both have a well established lore, ESO is just different.  But both are equally good.  And while this is a different aspect between the two games.  I don't see it as an improvment.
    • Character development - This is where I think TESO will really shine.  The character development in gw2 is sort of lacking In my opinion.  Being stuck with certain weapons for certain classes, and having skills tied to those weapons kind of bugs me.  And after you have unlocked all of the attacks for each weapon, you really don't have anything huge to look forward to as far as advancing your character.
    • Seamless world - Having no loading screens will be a nice change.

What other changes do you see between two games?  Of those changes is it really an improvement?

Duh, everything, TESO offers everything GW2 currently does not!  Don't you know?!  TESO is the new kid on the block and no one here is going to complain about it until after it releases.  Until then we will have the highest expectations and defend it feverishly.

However, after it releases we will all just complain about it and call it a massive failure.

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405

well the open world RvR instead of the instanced WvW.

also the combat will play completely different

skills are completely different

look, feel, story, um should I go on?

oh and saying they both have lore is kind of like saying they both have humans so they must be the same.  Just because something is featurned in multiple products does not mean they are the same.  While we are at it why don't we compare EVE to SWTOR since they both have space flight??

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    guild wars 2 is just a generic game without any identity IMO. The personal story line sucks the world vs world is just boring with no incentive at all and the public quests system is recycled in a lot of zones. Its not a bad game in any way but its not also a great game in any way either. TESO has a huge amount of lore with plenty of content available from pervious TES games. That is the one thing they are good at is telling a story. You will have real realm vs realm combat with abilities that you earn from realm vs realm only with a realm point system like DAOC . You also can gear your toons however you want like the old TES games. So i see a lot of potential in this game that will make it shine if they do everything right and do not take short cuts like GW2 did.
  • LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by XAPGames

RvR instead of WvW is one thing I see.

This big time, but GW2 bored me to tears, so I m sure there will be more.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by crysent

Duh, everything, TESO offers everything GW2 currently does not!  Don't you know?!  TESO is the new kid on the block and no one here is going to complain about it until after it releases.  Until then we will have the highest expectations and defend it feverishly.

However, after it releases we will all just complain about it and call it a massive failure.

lol sounds about right... anywho.. for me biggest i see are faction locked zones(which i actually don't mind), more open weapon/armor system. stamina based combat system.. some others but those are ones i noticed so far...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

A funny comparison.  GW2 was lackluster despite all the hype.  TESO is .... TBD.

I played GW2 for a couple months, and it was graphically very good, but a very BAD MMORPG.

The comparison to ESO might come true.  Outside of a fanbase, the community won't be there with it's 1 megaserver .. I mean how long can you actually enjoy a continuous WoW LFG / LFD scenario.  Thats what each and every TESO instance will be like.

Other aspects, like crafting might be better, but it is YET to be proven, just speculative hype.  The combat looks really lame in the trailers though.  You just see players from their backside so you can't see the horrid animations, but there was a couple (literally 2) shots of combat from the frontside that lasted a few seconds. [from the 9 minute trailer a month ago]

Combat was just a player standing there swinging a weapon without much emotion.  There were, of course, plenty of particle effects to make it look exciting. Whee!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by korr

oh and saying they both have lore is kind of like saying they both have humans so they must be the same.  Just because something is featurned in multiple products does not mean they are the same.  While we are at it why don't we compare EVE to SWTOR since they both have space flight??

when did they add open world RvR? Cyrodiil is an instanced zone.. not really much differn't than WvW zones in that aspect...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

when did they add open world RvR? Cyrodiil is an instanced zone.. not really much differn't than WvW zones in that aspect...

meh, maybe I just misunderstood what they were describing.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

Cyrodiil's persistent, it's not instanced

Originally posted by deakon

so if a campaign is full i go into a differn't "instance" than the one i was trying to go into correct? it's still the same as WvW it's persistent to the players inside but still instanced in the fact it makes copies of itself to accomidate more people.

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

Good PvE content.

GW2 only has the main quest lines working for it.

• Skeeter50Skeeter50 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Trinity and raids........ in other words TESO willl have  PVE.
    Originally posted by Skeeter50

thought there was no aggro mechanic in this game sort of kills the tank class and breaks the trinity.. going from here http://www.ign.com/wikis/elder-scrolls-online

TES Online gives players a lot of control in battle to break away from what is known as the "Holy Trinity" in MMOs (Tank/Healer/Damage). The intent is to have players form small groups to clear most content without the use of Aggro. That's right, there will be no Aggro in TES Online. Each player is responsible for their own selves.

sounds similar to gw2 in that aspect

so if a campaign is full i go into a differn't "instance" than the one i was trying to go into correct? it's still the same as WvW it's persistent to the players inside but still instanced in the fact it makes copies of itself to accomidate more people.

No its persistant as in it doesnt reset, there are set campaigns, the score will reset when someone wins but keeps remain in he hands of those that captured them and in the condition they captured them in.

Edit: just to be clear, campaigns are more like servers than instances, they are perminent, your locked to one and if you roll an alt on the other faction he cant be in the same one as you. It's not i'm in cyrodiil 1 one day and cyrodiil 27 the next.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I'm seeing the possibilty to reestablish a sense of realm pride and known enemies in an RVR system.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

No its persistant as in it doesnt reset, there are set campaigns, the score will reset when someone wins but keeps remain in he hands of those that captured them and in the condition they captured them in.

curious what they have plans for when one side is completely dominating the other two factions.. saw this plenty in TSW and even GW2 even with 3 factions there are often times 1 can easily hold its own against 2 others. Also wonder how they will handle campaign transfers..

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

goals and gear..

I love gw2 combat system but it has the most unrewarding system for its pvp.. Was a ton of fun but very shallow with no ladder to even have something to aim for no loot no variety, was great competative combat but if I wanted to play a non loot fps game I would I want some rpg in my rpg's

• Skeeter50Skeeter50 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by Skeeter50

thought there was no aggro mechanic in this game sort of kills the tank class and breaks the trinity.. going from here http://www.ign.com/wikis/elder-scrolls-online

TES Online gives players a lot of control in battle to break away from what is known as the "Holy Trinity" in MMOs (Tank/Healer/Damage). The intent is to have players form small groups to clear most content without the use of Aggro. That's right, there will be no Aggro in TES Online. Each player is responsible for their own selves.

sounds similar to gw2 in that aspect

Well then, I hated GW2.....frowny face.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

The thing that stands out to me is true factions in ESO.

I hope the character development system his robust and fufilling, this is a very much wait and see though.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Unless I'm mistaken on terminology, open world PVP is PVP that can happen anywhere in the world.  I don't see how restricting RVR to a zone could be "open world", even if the zone isn't instanced.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

curious what they have plans for when one side is completely dominating the other two factions.. saw this plenty in TSW and even GW2 even with 3 factions there are often times 1 can easily hold its own against 2 others. Also wonder how they will handle campaign transfers..

Well they have said each campaign holds up to 2k players, If it was me I would make sure that as it fills up no faction can have more than double the faction with the lowest population, then at least zerg faction will always be outnumbered by the other 2 factions.

Also remember the map is a lot bigger than gw2's already pretty big map and with the average faction having 667 players each thats a lot of map to hold on to

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    RvRvR