Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am completely disappointed with the last personal story mission

Comments

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Truth is - they should have left PERSONAL story....PERSONAL.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Deathstrike2

After playing this game solo since release, I find that the last mission is group only.  WTF ArenaNet?  What happened to play the way I want? 

I am absolutely disgusted at this point.  I've had a blast with this game right up until this moment, and now when I am ready to do the very last mission...

Damn it...   Logging off

What did you expect? To kill the elder dragon, the most powerful creatures that ever walked the Tyria, and his minion dragons all by your self? Wouldn't THAT be an immersion breaker?

To not break immersion, I would like it to be a one-time-only raid-size encounter. He should only die once.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Zzad
    Originally posted by elitero
    Asian B2P =)

ArenaNet is American.

/facepalm

It is owned by a Korean company and we do not to what extent that Korean company lets Arenanet have freedom.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

I thought it was weak that they require a group for the final mission, but I grabbed a group and got it done with no trouble.

Your response is typical of the personalities I see in PUGs, and is why I would rather solo my "personal story" than dick around with asshats who ruin my fun and immersion.

And your response is typical of the rude, anti-social players who turn off chat and run right past downed players who need help because the existence of another human "ruins your fun and immersion".

What would you even know about PUGs? You're here complaining about rude players, but you avoid all players at all costs. It sounds to me like you're the rude one.

Ah well... Either they'll fix this, and I'll finish it, or I'll move on to another MMO.

You would have quit as soon as you finished the mission anyway. You picked the wrong genre if you expected to be able to play without ever interacting with another player.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Asian B2P =)
    ArenaNet is American. /facepalm

It is owned by a Korean company and we do not to what extent that Korean company lets Arenanet have freedom.

Apparently quite a bit since you don't even need an NCSoft account to play, unlike NCSoft's other games.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• KraylorKraylor Member Posts: 94
    This is too funny.  I sincerely hope OP is under the age of 15, because I'm picturing an adult saying that and can't stop cringing.

Waiting on: The Repopulation

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Its true, ive just played this game from beginning to end and because the final mission is a group mission...I totally quit!

hurka derpa hurr durr

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

That's your main concern? That's it's not a solo instance?

Shit, I can't stand the personal story because I generally can't stand the personalities of the characters, and everything seems far too lighthearted.  I woudl have enjoyed a story with more realistic character emotions/voice acting,  and have it be a little more serious.

I actually would have preferred if they didn't give my character a voice at all. I would prefer a silent hero. Possibly have some facial reactions, and maybe some cutscenes showing something sad, heroic, etc., with just music, animation and no words.

The personal story is definitely one of the weakest aspects of this game, in my opinion.

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Well I guess I can somewhat understand the OP's point of view. Since the personal story is pretty much solo all the way up to the end it must seem a bit like a relationship. Sounds kind of like how you would feel if after striving for the affections of another in a long chase and finally winning their heart, you find to your horror that on your honeymoon you are required to invite four other people along.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Draemos
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

This is why MMOs suck now, people who are single players gamers are invading and ruining the social aspects of MMOs.

It's truly a sad time for gaming, just like for music.

Poor pitiful you.

He's complaining because he had to group up once throughout the entire course of an MMORPG for a storyline, he's so mad about this that he's become "disgusted", feels betrayed and had to come here to post about it. He even had to ... log... off, GASP!

You want people like that influencing MMOs?

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Wait until OP realizes he will also have to rely to other people to even get the dungeon accessible. Oh the horror! Having to play together in an MMO.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Don't worry even if you did do it you'd just be more disappointed.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

This is why MMOs suck now, people who are single players gamers are invading and ruining the social aspects of MMOs.

Poor pitiful you.

He's complaining because he had to group up once throughout the entire course of an MMORPG for a storyline, he's so mad about this that he's become "disgusted", feels betrayed and had to come here to post about it. He even had to ... log... off, GASP!

I just think making sweeping generalizations about "single player gamers" ruining MMOs is ridiculous.  Without a lot of those gamers you wouldn't see company's putting millions of dollars into MMO development.  The industry tech would be about 5 years or more behind where it is right now, and there would be a fraction of the available gaming options...and that's being generous.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Wow, a mod should delete this thread....

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

After playing this game solo since release, I find that the last mission is group only.  WTF ArenaNet?  What happened to play the way I want? 

I am absolutely disgusted at this point.  I've had a blast with this game right up until this moment, and now when I am ready to do the very last mission...

Damn it...   Logging off

The only WTF I noted, is why are you so disgusted?  You have to spend one hour (less than that actually) playing with other people to do a single part of the story line so you rage quit?  Remember that ArenaNet considers PvP and dungeons to be the "end game."  Both require multiple people and both are not required to enjoy the game.

I am fairly sure that other than personal story you have played with other prople just because of how many people are playing the game.  All I can say is "get over it." 

For my part, I spend most of my time playing solo, I enjoy it and find that more often than not other people mess up my plans for whatever event I am doing.  I have seen, more than one event fail because some idiot came running in and attacked a specific mob (usually the highest ranked one) and caused another wave to come crashing in before the previous wave was delt with.  So no, I don't willingly group up with people.  But Guild Wars 2 is an MMO, and we all have to deal with that fact.  The game was designed to be played by many players at the same time.  So my questions is; what part of MMO do you not get?

• ownprocessownprocess Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Personally, I'd have preferred it if more of the story quests were group based.  Just goes to show you can never please everyone.
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

When I saw the topic I thought it would be another disappointment with the "epic" end boss fight that culminates the game's story arc. Now, knowing he is complaining even before having experienced that, I feel bad for the OP.

If you think having to group for it was bad, just wait for for what will come out of it, my friend.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Asian B2P =)

ArenaNet is American. /facepalm
    Apparently quite a bit since you don't even need an NCSoft account to play, unlike NCSoft's other games.

No no no.  You're doing it wrong.  You're supposed to just assume Anet has zero freedom without actually knowing at all.  

Originally posted by Homitu
    I guess the only logical way to complain about having to socialize with other players for 1 hour out of 100 hours of gameplay is to do it publicly on forums.  

[mod edit]

From the ArenaNet website regarding personal stories:

"Your personal story is told through private, instanced chapters that are specific to your character. If you need a little help, you can always invite friends along to experience your personal story with you. As “guest stars” these players can help you, but it’s still your story and key decisions are yours to make."

Total bullshit.  I don't need a little help to finish the quest -- I need 4 other players or I won't be able to finish the quest.  The least the company could have done was be up front about the forced grouping in the last mission.  I wouldn't have spent the time getting to this point or be so annoyed had I known that I would be FORCED to group in an instanced mission.

Ah well... Either they'll fix this, and I'll finish it, or I'll move on to another MMO.  Lots coming out this year anyway.

Too bad I didn't get to read the mod editted parts.  I'm sure they were wonderfully polite.  

So your complaint really has nothing to do with grouping or not grouping, you just feel deceived by a company?  Is it the same complaint people have with Anet's MMO Manifesto video they put out years ago?  I honestly feel bad for game companies in todays critic internet culture.  There's such a demand for information on every game that's coming out; but then if there is EVER an inconsistency in information given--if, you konw, a design change decision is made at any point for what they believe is the betterment of their game--the company takes so much flak from people like you.  Anet didn't make a promise or a sacred oath to you.  They aren't intentionally saying one thing and then changing it just to piss you off.  It's not personal.  Get over yourself.  

Believe it or not, there are actually pros and cons to this particular design decision to have people group for the final personal story dungeon.  But because you're bent on feeling insulted, you insist on only dwelling on 1 of the cons.  For the love of drama!  You're preventing your own enjoyment of the game!

And if you really followed all of Anet's given information on personal story and dungeons leading up to the game's release, you would have been under the impression, like I was, that the story converged into group dungeons more frequently.  I was led to believe that the personal story introduced you to the game's heroes, then you follow those heroes through all of the dungeons of the game.  It sort of works that way, but the advancement of your personal story isn't contingent upon completing the story mode dungeons.  The dungeons are kind of just mentioned as an afterthought through your mailbox and aren't integrated into your story as well as they could be, which, in my opinion, would be a valid criticism of their presentation.  

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I actually felt the same as the OP. Not because I despise grouping or anything like that, but because it goes against what you've been doing for 80 levels. It's bad design to condition a player to play a certain way (in this case fully soloable story content) for the majority of story gameplay, and then switch to something else out of the blue without warning.

If you want to force people into dungeons, do it early on don't wait 80 levels to spring it on people. Or make it completely optional. I'll never understand why developers think they need to straddle the line on these things.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Poor pitiful you.

I just think making sweeping generalizations about "single player gamers" ruining MMOs is ridiculous.  Without a lot of those gamers you wouldn't see company's putting millions of dollars into MMO development.  The industry tech would be about 5 years or more behind where it is right now, and there would be a fraction of the available gaming options...and that's being generous.

I'd rather the development budgets be low and the MMOs be good rather than budgets being stupidly high and the MMOs being garbage, like we're seeing right now. Take a look at SW:TOR, 200 million dollars didn't stop it from going F2P in under a year, yet many of the old out-dated titles with smaller budgets are still running on sub fees and highly regarded by most MMO players. Why? Because they were actually MMOs, developed for MMO gamers, not for single-player gamers who want to be spoon fed everything.

It's not a generalization, single-player gamers ruin MMOs because MMOs are Massively Multiplayer role-playing games, why is that hard to comprehend?

If they are going to complain about grouping in a massively multiplayer role-playing game they shouldn't be playing it in the first place, it's a given you will be playing with other people, it's in the genre name, if you don't want to play with other people play single player games.

Originally posted by NaughtyP

I actually felt the same as the OP. Not because I despise grouping or anything like that, but because it goes against what you've been doing for 80 levels. It's bad design to condition a player to play a certain way (in this case fully soloable story content) for the majority of story gameplay, and then switch to something else out of the blue without warning.

If you want to force people into dungeons, do it early on don't wait 80 levels to spring it on people. Or make it completely optional. I'll never understand why developers think they need to straddle the line on these things.

I'll agree with that.  Suddenly tacking the only group part on at the very end just stands out and may be distracting.  But it may also add to the direness of the moment, making it feel more special.  I mean, the entire story had been approaching an inevitable large-scale encounter with Zhaitan since level 10.   I generally approve of measures that would differentiate this ultimate fight from all the other *lesser* stuff you've had to do before it.  

All of this applies theoretically, of course.  That is, before you actually do story-mode Arah and experience THAT anticlimax. 

Also, if you read my post just above yours, I was under the impression from information given prior to release that the personal story would more frequently converge at dungeons, which would naturally lead players to group with other players, not necessarily to advance their own personal stories, but as a supplemental component to the game's overall narrative.  I feel like they either just couldn't make it all mesh together in time for release (you sort of experience this with Ascalonian Catacombs, but not so much with the subsequent dungeons), or they changed their design at some point.    

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Kraylor
    This is too funny.  I sincerely hope OP is under the age of 15, because I'm picturing an adult saying that and can't stop cringing.

Pretty much this. Thanks for the laughs all :)

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Homitu

Believe it or not, there are actually pros and cons to this particular design decision to have people group for the final personal story dungeon.  But because you're bent on feeling insulted, you insist on only dwelling on 1 of the cons.  For the love of drama!  You're preventing your own enjoyment of the game!

There are pretty much no pros of this design, just cons (as OP is not only one that is pi**ed about it, nor will be the last)

The first 80 levels have "pros" as advancement is solo with optional dungeon every x levels. Thats how it should be with last mission. In the end, they could have made solo/group mission so everyone can do it how they like and THAT would be conistent design.

1 mission has no bearing on bigger picture, it only has bearing on pi**ing people off. AND it can actually put people of grouping altogether, because, lets face it, good PUGs are rare and these people are much more likely to end up in bad pug and have bad experience overall on top of everything.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    At OP, don't feel bad about logging off before finishing this game. The last mission is horrible gameplay-wise. Actually, the whole story is bad in this game, even worse than in Factions.