Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will we see WoW as F2P/B2P in 2013? [Poll]

ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

With all of the AAA mmo's (except WoW and Rift) being F2P/B2P, will we see WoW go F2P/B2P in 2013? Blizzard has to be looking at it by now. Tera goes F2P tomorrow, and I honestly think Rift will be the next to enter the F2P realm. So, how much longer can Blizzard hold out?

Leave your thoughts and opinions on the subject:

Comments

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    The most obvious reason, they are not that low on players to do that, even if they where it would never become f2p.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Not this year, unless there is an unprecedented falloff in sub numbers.

I venture to say they still have more subbed players than the next 5 titles combined, so why would they give up that revenue?

Sure, of the subs get down to 250K, they'll think about it, just don't see that happening any time soon.

But...I've been wrong before....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    No, we wont.  It's still to profitable as a sub game in which people will pay $25 for a mount and $10 for a pet.  there is zero reason for blizzard to set it us as f2p unless the player population tanks spectacuarly.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Anyone who says yes is just trolling... they can bring in tens of millions off micro pets/subscriptions, no company would go F2P to risk that.

They'd start increasing the cosmetics cash shop content long before going F2P.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

Just wait 3 more days for their Q4 report.

I heard some predictions from people who don't know squat (my friends) saying they'll be down to 5 million by now

It'll be a fun weekend.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

wow has to many subs to go free 2 play. Its not even a consideration. I believe titan will be free 2 play from start. Wow will not go buy 2 play ever. they do have some nice sales on the boxed games and still make money of that. 

Why go free 2 play or buy 2 play when u are making as much money as they are right now. when u have 10 million subs u don't have to worry about what the rest of the industry is doing. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    That bunch is entirely too greedy to do something like that for one. Secondly they need to launch another title with a monetization since WoW has been their revenue source for all other projects to continue at Blizzard so no. And third, the Marine Biologist has to go out and buy that summer home before turn that over to F2P
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Be careful what you wish for. If WoW were to go F2P it would cause such a huge implosion on the rest of the industry with players old and new flocking back to play that the only time you would see any really huge migrations would be when new games were released. It would be like seasonal migrations of canadian geese. Flying back and forth between WoW and a new mmo and back again.

I know I would. Long forgotten avatars that sit idle in a mmo I no longer have the desire to pay for would suddenly be top on my list to play. Millions! And I mean MILLIONS of players would flock back just to see their old friends once again. If not to continue where they left off it would be to serve as a common stomping ground. A mmo touchstone if you will.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• nikolaitnikolait Member Posts: 5

I think they can only reduce the subs from $25 to $15, that's it, nobody from Blizz wants F2P game after all.... 

After Titan, maybe not before that.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Daft question as far as wow is concerned. Re Titan, you could easily see Diablo 3 as a trial of their future model, but considering the greed of the corporate decision makers I just cannot see blizzard throwing away the 'guaranteed income@.

Much more interesting question: when titan releases blizzard are obviously going to try and push the population to Titan as they are not going to sub to both, I predict a cynical starvation of resources for wow despite the existing sub base- could be very interesting to watch..

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    No it most certainly will not.
  • MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350
    I will be many years before WoW goes F2P. Why alter a successful formula?
  • BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

Originally posted by nikolait
    I think they can only reduce the subs from $25 to $15, that's it, nobody from Blizz wants F2P game after all....  After Titan, maybe not before that.

Umm, subs are already $15 per month.

I don't think wow will go f2p or b2p anytime soon, I think titan will be b2p.

Say what you want about them, but the Blizz name attracts sales, even for mostly crap games *cough*Diablo 3*cough*, they have no need to go f2p on any of their games.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Daft question as far as wow is concerned. Re Titan, you could easily see Diablo 3 as a trial of their future model, but considering the greed of the corporate decision makers I just cannot see blizzard throwing away the 'guaranteed income@.

Much more interesting question: when titan releases blizzard are obviously going to try and push the population to Titan as they are not going to sub to both, I predict a cynical starvation of resources for wow despite the existing sub base- could be very interesting to watch..

They might as well have 1 sub for WOW/Titan. That way people will believe they are getting "extra" value.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Why on earth would they, have you calculated how much they bring in in subs alone, moving F2P is a signal of desperation.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Not likely, reason being they don't have to.

Sub + item shop + paid services + box sales + expansions.  They'd be nuts to give this up as long as it remains working.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Nope. They will milk it until they lose a lot of players.
  • defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    hahaha funny thread
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I'd say the odds of it happening in 2013 are about the same as the government doing away with that whole "taxes" thing...
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Ah yep 1 sub for both is pretty smart actually.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Thorkune

With all of the AAA mmo's (except WoW and Rift and EVE Online and Ultima Online and Asheron's Call and Dark Age of Camelot) being F2P/B2P...

Most of the AAA MMOs with a decade or so of content under their belt are still subscription MMOs. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

even if all goes wrong for WoW (which is 100% not a case) I don't think such change will occur this year.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

The fact for me is, any game they release thats a MMO won't require they switch what has worked and made them the most money. You can hold me to this that 2013 blizz-con will reveal Titan (Star Craft MMO???) and it will be a subscription MMO with a RMAH.

Knowing them, If you are a subscriber to WOW and pre-order Titan they will give you special in-game stuff for being a sub to WOW, but you have to remain subbed to get them. these guys will be able to print money, they have no reason to change because the indusrty is failing and needs to find better ways to stay afloat, blizzard is the reason they need to go F2P.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

Let's see... 9.6 million active accounts times $12 per month (let's say EVERYONE buys 6 months at a time):

• $115.2 million per month
    • $1.4 billion per year
    That's just subscription fees alone! That doesn't include mounts, pets, transfers, name changes, faction changes, and other paid services they offer.

No amount of non-contributing F2P gamers are going to turn ANY game into a billion dollar per year franchise.
  • ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

Gee thats think about this WoW claims to have 9 or so Mil players that is around $135,000,000 a month in subs.

Even if that 9 Mil subs is not correct and paying subs is even 1/2 that at 4.5 Mil subs there bringing in around $60,000,000 A month just in subs.

Gee lets make the game F2P because I really dont want my 60,000,000 a month, come on people think about it.

Might want to think about these pollls before you put them up.