Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what role do u love playing in a dungeon?

Comments

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    As for me, I downright require that the game allows me to switch it up and play different roles frequently.  Any one role gets boring to me after a while.  Being able to play multiple roles significantly enhances the game's longevity for me.  That said, my prefered role is that of healer.  But even as a healer, I better be able to contribute to timed CC and do some supplimentary damage.  
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Give me a support class.  Crowd control or debuffer.  Sadly, it seems those roles are disappearing.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

RDPS.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Normally I would say DPS but I so enjoyed Tanking in Tera that I have fallen in love with my lancer's capabilities.

Still,I love dps.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Depends on the game for me. Some games I like to play melee DPS, others I like to tank, some I like playing ranged DPS. It all depends. My favorite all around playstyle is a hybrid character that can do a mix, so yea...

Originally posted by dave6660 Give me a support class.  Crowd control or debuffer.  Sadly, it seems those roles are disappearing.

Also that...man what I would give for a proper support class. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    You missed support characters in the poll. Other than being the "backup plan" I do enjoy being ranged dps characters. It's fun to see how close the enemy will get before they are filled with arrows and lying on the ground.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

Originally posted by dave6660
    Give me a support class.  Crowd control or debuffer.  Sadly, it seems those roles are disappearing.

CC is not completely gone. Back in CATA, you needs to CC mobs in dungeons. Of course they have nerfed it now.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i play Ranged DPS. I dont like to be forced to tank or heal because thats what my class is made for. If the trinity is heavily enforced in the game, i stick to ranged dps. If the trinity is flexible then i can role a dps healer class. Focused on DPS but with off heals.

I dont like tanking unless i am solo questing (not dungeons)... i tried tanking rage fire chasm with a prot paladin years ago and the wipe was imminent. Never tried it again and not interested in it.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

CC is not completely gone. Back in CATA, you needs to CC mobs in dungeons. Of course they have nerfed it now.

There is a difference between random CC from a DPS class and a true support class that can control situations completely the way they want. 

Or bards in Vangaurd/FFXI. This gameplay type is starting to diminish and go away.. its sad really because I loved that gameplay. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    I like playing either healer or tank. DPS has always been pretty boring.
  • neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

Sadly most games are designed in a way where the hardest job is actually RDPS and the most active is MDPS.

For example... a "hard" fight for most people involves the boss doing some sort of shitty aoe or hitting hard. If the AoE hits everyone, might as well stay close to the boss and keep dps up if you are melee as well as range. If he hits hard, then you just have to pray to have a geared tank and decent healers. However, most of the time only melee has to run out so they have to pay attention.

As for the wipes, well most of them are caused by lame DPS. Be it the player or gear's fault, that is of no matter. The only class that doesn't have a rotation reset is the RDPS which is what makes it hardest, because you must figure out the optimal rotation based on your gear and NEVER mess up. Subpar MDPS often get locked out by AoE or very similar attacks & damage which simplifies everything so they are quite close to the best MDPS players.  Because of that, RDPS focus so much on their pressing 1 2 3 4 5 in the right order that they have problems moving out of a big circle and that makes RDPS the hardest role.

They simply never learn to play

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

Originally posted by Vunak23

There is a difference between random CC from a DPS class and a true support class that can control situations completely the way they want. 

Or bards in Vangaurd/FFXI. This gameplay type is starting to diminish and go away.. its sad really because I loved that gameplay. 

I am not disagreeing. I am just saying some CC gameplay is still needed here and there.

I think cc will revive once addons like recount can track seconds you keep a mob in CC :P

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Zooce

Tank.

I like being in control of the pace of pulling and ensuring the group has a good time.  Being a good tank makes plenty of dps and healer friends for future dungeon runs.  Nothing worse than a tank that can't hold aggro or pulls too much/ too little.

I usually play all the roles (alt-o-holic), so I know what to expect from the other players.

Call me old fashion, but I liked when there was a dedicated puller class.  He would then off load the mob(s) to the tank.

I haven't seen that setup since FFXI though.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Tank.

I like being in control of the pace of pulling and ensuring the group has a good time.  Being a good tank makes plenty of dps and healer friends for future dungeon runs.  Nothing worse than a tank that can't hold aggro or pulls too much/ too little.

I usually play all the roles (alt-o-holic), so I know what to expect from the other players.

Call me old fashion, but I liked when there was a dedicated puller class.  He would then off load the mob(s) to the tank.

Dedicated puller .. probably not. Because who would want to just pull, and sit around doing nothing for the rest of the fight. The puller function is alive and well in WOW hunter, for example. So the function has not gone away, and a good pull is always desirable.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    crowd control.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

RDPS for me. Tank would be second.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Tank.

i remember being a puller as an aoe archer. That was old school yes, but fun. The part that was not fun was grinding the mobs to level up. D:

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Tank.

Dedicated puller .. probably not. Because who would want to just pull, and sit around doing nothing for the rest of the fight. The puller function is alive and well in WOW hunter, for example. So the function has not gone away, and a good pull is always desirable.

Depends lol, in a setup like FFXI full time puller was fun. Did this many times as thf/rng or thf/nin in FFXI. Track mobs, stealth, attack, flee. Mob shows up at party, tank provokes and you go on the prowl again. A good party would keep this going for hours on end with few breaks and the puller was never sitting around. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Tank.

Depends lol, in a setup like FFXI full time puller was fun. Did this many times as thf/rng or thf/nin in FFXI. Track mobs, stealth, attack, flee. Mob shows up at party, tank provokes and you go on the prowl again. A good party would keep this going for hours on end with few breaks and the puller was never sitting around. 

Been quite a while since I've seen MMO's with a puller like that, but I do remember, after completing a pull they would go off and snare the next pull, carefully managing to bring it back at the correct time, neither too early or too late, in order to optimize efficiency.  Was actually a pretty challenging role at ttimes.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by sadWinds

As for me, i love healing, i do get blamed alot for wipes but the need to pay attention to everyone's health bar, status, surrounding  and the constant pressure makes me choose this role over others.

I like tanking but  i felt that tanking has way too much responsibility like threat management, knowing how to pull and also how to go about doing the dungeon. 

Im curious about the preference of you guys, pls participate in the poll and discuss your reasons ^^

When I played AD&D the paper and dice version, I always played priests. The other guys in my team never liked playing anything but warriors and thieves, but I was the priest. I usually outshined them all when defeating enemies and when keeping us safe, they all just stood there covering their face in shame as I took the credit once again.

Once the GM tried to trap us all in Ravenloft. They all decided to screw the priest over and many of them got turned into vampires, when I saw there was no one left to save I cast the only spell that would actually allow me to escape with the soulstone. LOL they were very angry with me for weeks after, and all had to reroll characters.

Originally posted by Vunak23

I am not disagreeing. I am just saying some CC gameplay is still needed here and there.

I think cc will revive once addons like recount can track seconds you keep a mob in CC :P

Addons. . . Addons are a bane to MMO's, the dumb the game down so far the player really isn't even playing the game anymore, they are just doing what the addon tells them to do at a specific point. . .They seriously need to go away. 

Personalized UI's are fine I suppose. But addons; deadly boss mod and things of that nature seriously need to go to the grave. 

If you can't keep track of your own spells/CC/timers then you are never going to be as good as the guy who can. Its not fair for the guy who can that puts effort into maintaining a near perfect rotation on his own be put on par with someone who has a computer do all the timings for them... its cheap. 

• VagabandanaVagabandana Member Posts: 16

Healer, yet less lately.

I enjoy rdps

Never been the tank.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I am a Melee DPS in every activity I do.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Something like a gravity/empathy controller I could heal and CC was very challenging to have to do both or the other role was the Red mage in FFXI .
    Chamber of Chains
  • ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141

I love healing in Age Of Conan, it's not like healing in any other game. You have 2 circles ( Greens can stack blues can't)  And a few minor heals from you alternete advancments. Really, In raiding EVERYONE Dps's. You'll still have heals and tanks but everyone must dps.  

I tryed wow out because of a friend, and it's funny someone actually told me i shouldn't dps just focus on healing. It BLEW my mind that even with a few dps skills, the tank/dps only wanted me to heal... What's wrong with helping kill the boss? D:

Oh and someone mentioned about CC/debuffing etc. Those are very key factors AoC which make or break highend raiding guilds.  And it looks amazing. http://www.mmorpg.com/photo/f13aa5f5-8e36-466a-9304-301282dac71e