Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What game had your favourite questing system?

Comments

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I loved WoW's then-new total world quest experience when it first came out.  Constantly interacting with in game characters and performing tasks according to the lore and the situation within each zone throughout the entire leveling experience was very immersive for a very long time.  Phasing also helped preserve a sense of having a lasting impact on the world, although it came at some expenses.  Nevertheless, nothing remains fresh forever.  It eventually gets old and tiring.  

I find GW2's event system to be amazingly refreshing at the moment.  Just wandering around the world and encountering stuff as it happens around you (and for everyone else around you as well) feels so much more immediate, fluid, and natural than quests ever could.  Everyone around you is always "on the same quest" as you, so you will usually find yourself playing with other players more naturally--although in GW2, a common criticism is that it tends to feel more like you are playing *alongside* other players than *with* them.  

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    My answer will be a shocker but I actually like Anarchy Online's mission system.....The reason why is I pick the difficulty, location, reward, and mob types I am going to face...IMO thats what MMOs should be about....Giving the players total control and not doing some generic story line quest.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

STO and DDO.

They put you in story instances that can change according to your progress.

• grouikfrgrouikfr Member Posts: 2
    Asheron's Call of course. No marker, no journal, just a storyline evolving each monthes, town criers who would give you hints for coins, and other NPC would lead you to dungeons with platform games and rares items, you would craft items that could be customized with questings, and all of that with no tracker, just your story being written in your memories. I also loved the fact that every quest had a reward which was quite unique and sometimes useful to max level, and that there were loads of quests.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

right now my favorite questing system is in GW2. I hope other companies take this concept and make it even better instead of cursing us with the ! questing over and over from quest hub A to quest hub B to C etc... 

It doesnt matter how innovative your mmo is, if it has the old generic WoW's quest grinding ill just go play WoW that is more experienced with that old system.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by grouikfr
    Asheron's Call of course. No marker, no journal, just a storyline evolving each monthes, town criers who would give you hints for coins, and other NPC would lead you to dungeons with platform games and rares items, you would craft items that could be customized with questings, and all of that with no tracker, just your story being written in your memories. I also loved the fact that every quest had a reward which was quite unique and sometimes useful to max level, and that there were loads of quests.

i never played that game, but that questing sounds pretty interesting. As long as its a dynamic system with no hand holding count me in.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    I liked EQ1's epic quests. The rumors, the planning, the combonation of luck, skill, and investigation. Before too many of the spoiler sites got big it was a lot of fun trying to figure out the pieces.

a yo ho ho

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Well, a couple TSW quest scared the ish out me ... Scared in a manly way though.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95

A game without a questing system.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Asheron's Call.  Nothing like having the most engrossing and detailed questing system in the game that actually combines, brains with brawn and a dose of agility.  Here is an example of an awesome quest:

Quest Overview

Walk Through

1st Strange Device

1. [Optional] Speak to the Emissary of Asheron at Asheron's Castle to begin the quest.
    2. Make your way to the 1st Strange Device at 21.9N, 19.0E
      • Route: Use the Teleportation Device (the quest hub), and enter the 40 Bellig tower base, then run to the Strange Device at 21.9N 19.0E
    3. Using the device spawns a "ghost" of Elysa Strathelar and Thorsten Cragstone, a reflection of their first encounter. Some olthoi will also spawn.
    4. You must kill all the Olthoi. When you have killed them several gems, called Elysa's Hope, will spawn around the device. more gems spawn if all are picked up.

2nd Strange Device

1. Go to the 2nd Strange Device found in the Underground City.
      • The place where the words of the past were found refers to Elysa discovering Empyrean texts within the Underground City. You can reach the Underground City by taking the portal in the Abandoned Mine or taking the Isle of Tears portal (25.2N, 49.9E) in Cragstone and running to the city at 21.3N, 53.9E.
    2. The 2nd device is located in the area marked on the map as lvl -1. It is in the side room that does not contain the surface portal. If you are able to jump a whole level in dungeons, you can reach it quickly from the drop point by jumping on to the balcony just forward and to the left of the drop. Otherwise you will have to work your way through the dungeon.
    3. When you use the device Elysa and Cragstone will appear again, and have a conversation about the texts Elysa has discovered. When they are done, Elysa's Resolve gems will appear on the floor.
    4. Combine the two gems to form Elysa's Partial Reflection.
      You bring the two gems into close proximity, and they fuse into one.

3rd Strange Device

1. Go to 3rd Strange Device located at 21.2N, 69.2E
    2. The home of Light refers to Asheron's castle. Take the portal in Eastham near the windmill to reach Asheron's Isle and then take the portal device at the drop to reach his castle. The device is just outside the door. Use it to watch Elysa and Thorsten discover Asheron's Castle and see Elsya teleport away into Asheron's Sanctum. After Elysa returns outside they will speak once more before giving you another clue. Elysa's Courage gems then appear on the floor.
    3. Combine the two gems to form Elysa's Incomplete Reflection.
      You bring the two gems into close proximity, and they fuse into one.

4th Strange Device

1. The 4th Strange Device is also found in the Underground City.
    2. The tomb of past warriors refers to Thorsten Cragstone's Tomb, found in the Underground City. Simply follow the directions on the map labeled "Shortest path to Hidden Dungeon" and stop in room with Thorsten's tomb. The Device is located on above this room, and you can reach it by jumping from one of the open windows.
    3. Once the apparitions of Elysa and Thorsten disappear, Elysa's Determination gems will appear.
    4. One again combine the two gems to form Elysa's Phantasmal Arrow.
      You bring the two gems into proximity. They both give off a small pop and vanish in clouds of purple mist. The mist coalesces into a ghostly arrow tipped with a small dab of black goo.

Black Death Catacombs Quiddity Seed

1. You must now go to the Black Death Catacombs Quiddity Seed found in the Black Death Catacombs. The Quiddity Seed is located behind the portal to the Paradox-touched Olthoi Queen's lair.
    2. You will be portaled into a completely black version of the old Black Death Catacomb (before it was split up by portals) with purple mist on the ground. The dungeon is full of virindi and more of the ghost Olthoi. Note that players can run through these olthoi, but the olthoi also can stack on top of eachother.
    3. You will notice you are not dropped in the normal drop point or where the seed was located in the regular dungeon. If you are looking at the map of the Black Death Catacomb and the Lower Corridor, you are in the Lower Corridor, in the only room with a split level (a place where you can jump up or down a level). Note that the ACMaps map has drawn this room incorrectly so the ledge is not where it appears on the map.
    4. Elysa is back up where the Quiddity Seed is in the regular dungeon. To reach her, take the passage south and simply hug the right wall from the drop - do not jump down to the lower level. Give Elysa the arrow to see the Thorsten's final moments replayed.
    5. After the scene is done and the queen dies, its head will appear on the ground. Pick it up and bring it back to Asheron. Note: if you are doing this with a group, you must wait 30 seconds between hand ins to make sure everyone gets the olthoi head. If you want to get the text from this quest, it is located in the dream BDC where the surface portal/drop point would be in the regular BDC.
    6. Emissary of Asheron will give a Braced Mana Forge key upon turning in the head.
    7. The Bracers may be turned in for experience. When you give it to Asheron's Servant, a dialog box will appear asking if you wish to hand in the item for up to 5% experience.

Maps

Dungeon Coordinates Wiki Map ACmaps Other Quests
    Underground City 21.9N, 19.0E -- 01E9 -- --
    Black Death Catacombs Quiddity Seed 59.9N, 71.2E -- 5E45 -- --

Items

Quest Items
    • Elysa's Hope Icon.png
    Elysa's Hope
    • Elysa's Resolve Icon.png
    Elysa's Resolve
    • Elysa's Partial Reflection Icon.png
    Elysa's Partial Reflection
    • Elysa's Courage Icon.png
    Elysa's Courage
    • Elysa's Incomplete Reflection Icon.png
    Elysa's Incomplete Reflection
    • Elysa's Determination Icon.png
    Elysa's Determination
    • Elysa's Phantasmal Arrow Icon.png
    Elysa's Phantasmal Arrow
    • Head of the Apparition Olthoi Queen Icon.png
    Head of the Apparition Olthoi Queen

Rewards
    • Braced Mana Forge Key Icon.png
    Braced Mana Forge Key
    • Empowered Bracers of the Perfect Light Icon.png
    Empowered Bracers of the Perfect Light
    • Quiddity Ingot (BDC) Icon.png
    Quiddity Ingot (BDC)
    • Execution Log of Strathelar Modification Icon.png
    Execution Log of Strathelar Modification

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

i would say world of warcraft

i hate questing >< id rather do instances and raid but alas you need to be level cap in order to do the hard fun stuff right?

leveling in wow wasnt so bad for me, and mind you i reaaaaally hate questing heh xD

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Do you mean QUESTS? Or chores? Because most games have chores for you to do.  Not really quests. GW2 Personal story is one of the better quest systems I have seen. EQ1 had quests that took time and you actually attempted to achieve something. Most games are filled with go out and kill chores to fill your time and speed up xp.

I wouldnt mind checking out STOR, but I really just never had an interest in the gameplay elements I have seen.

AoC had some of the better written dialogue I have seen for their chores.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

Do you mean QUESTS? Or chores? Because most games have chores for you to do. 

This is very true.

to my SWToR I'll also add TSW. Those are the only two games I've ever really enjoyed the quests in abundance.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 870
    My Fav was Swg you would go to the terminal and pick a quest then go do it I enjoyed that system.
  • GrumpyJesterGrumpyJester Member Posts: 96

City of Villains had my favorite questing, because almost all the quests were part of story arcs. The Secret World does this as well.

I really don't like the random one-shot "Could you bring me some X?" quests. Lord of the Rings Online was looking good, until random "Could you bring my some pies?" quests happened. Guild Wars 2 is even worse in this regard.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

SWG pre cu.

There wasn't any.

You just logged in and you were on your own.

Brilliant.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Old school: EQ1, the epic weapons quests were truly epic.

Newer System: Rift Storm Legion, Love the carnage quests and not having to go from hub to hub to level. Just start killing things and bam oh that was a quest awesome.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506
    What pops into my head first was the quest chain in WoW in Arathi Highlands, in vanilla/BC, where you unleashed the princess who is trapped!

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    AOC or SWTOR, while I enjoyed the subject matter more in AOC, the quality level was not as consistent as TOR's. Not to say none of TOR's quests lack quality.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Out of all the MMOs I've played, WoW has the best system imho.  That's why everyone tries to copy it.  There's serious quests that you have to save a town, zone, or even the world.  Then there's hilarious quests, like the numerous poo quests, which is expected now days with every release lol.  The problem I have with many games is they take thier world too seriously.  It's always "We're all gonna die unless you do this" quests.  In WoW, you help people who's fel hound ate thier keys.  Or gather spy film from wolves that ate it...ect.

P.S. Someone at blizzard has a poo fetish me thinks XD

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

By large measure: SWTOR. Never ever enjoyed so much questing with superb voice acting and incredible twists in story. For starting areas and for same reason loved also Aoc.

Now i actually can not any longer enjoy any other kind of questing, but I'm still ok with wow, gw2, ...

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by daltanious

By large measure: SWTOR. Never ever enjoyed so much questing with superb voice acting and incredible twists in story. For starting areas and for same reason loved also Aoc.

Now i actually can not any longer enjoy any other kind of questing, but I'm still ok with wow, gw2, ...

The story is good. Too bad the combat is not fun to me. If they have better combat, i would still be playing that game.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by daltanious

The story is good. Too bad the combat is not fun to me. If they have better combat, i would still be playing that game.

As usually people have very different tastes. Actually combat was also very beloved by myself. :-) The only thing I never enjoyed, but is not fault of swtor, is space combat as i do not like that kind of fight.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    EQ1-Vanguard-LOTRO.

• AlchimesAlchimes Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Example quest from The Secret World with walkthrough. End Game Tier 1-8  http://youtu.be/6mBJHz7oMEk