Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FORUM EXPERIMENT: Do You Play This MMO?

Comments

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by MikeB

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:
    No, I had several friends talking about it and tried the trial. Nothing seemed particularly fresh or interesting about it. 

Do you currently play this game?:

If yes, please explain why:

If no, please explain why:
    No. A friend of mine begged me to get it, and so I did in hopes of playing games with him again. We played the original Guild Wars together and I was excited to play a game together. However, he didn't play often and I couldn't force myself to sign on. I don't play because there is nothing about this game that beckons to me. The worlds are small, the combat system is slow and arduous. In short, it feels like a single player game. In my opinion, that's what it should have been. I'd come back to f2p but I refuse to support their business model. Limits are never welcome and they are not in a position to negotiate with customers, especially when they are bleeding money. 

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:
    I'm currently playing Guild Wars 2. I play this because I've found a large group of friends who play and the combat system is incredibly well done. I played the first one for 2000 hours and I'm already at 350 hours in this one. I enjoy the lore and the world along with the combat. However its character development is lacking and the personal stories are God awful. 

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?
    It's Sunday and I've nothing else better to do. I'm sure no one values my opinion. 

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

If you are going to participate, please remember to answer all questions.

• piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189

Yes extremely. It was my favorite developer and one of my favorite IPs, so I thought nothing could go wrong.

No. I lost interest a few weeks after I hit 50.

The game is very shallow and boring at max level. 

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

Guild Wars 2. There's nothing better (for me) out there right now and it's B2P.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I honestly don't know. I'm still interested in MMOs, but I'm losing hope that I'm ever going to get that awesome feeling I got from playing DAoC again.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939

Yes, big Star Wars fan and i prepaid for it.

No.

NA

I went back twice to try and get into it.  It just does not have the Star Wars feel.

Right now just in World of Warcraft, But I also play Lord of the Rings online at times. I find both these games fun and have a great Guild in wow and people in Lord of the Rings are really friendly.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I love Star Wars and would love to see the game change in the right direction or someone make a true Star Wars game.

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Moderately, was looking for a sci-fi sandbox but I do love Star Wars so I was waiting to see.

No

I did buy it and played for a month.  The free to play was anounced so I waited before renewing.  The free to play seems to restricted and I was playing LOTRO so I never went back.

Currently subbed to LOTRO.  I was playing F2P and decided to sub.  Since the F2P was so non-restrictive I am able to bounce back and forth between Sub and F2P depending on my free time.  I am always looking for a good sandbox though.  Hoping for The Repopulation to be good.

I rarely post here unless I am looking for updated info on the F2P model or correcting mis-information (as I see it).

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I've been a long time fan of Bioware's games, and I enjoy Star Wars.

I still play, though it has to compete with The Secret World for my limited time.

I enjoy playing through the story arcs, and often discovering a different angle to something I saw on a different character.

Just like with TSW I play it mostly to play through the stories, though I might give raiding another go in the future (the guild I was in fell apart when I took a six months hiatus shortly before 1.3 went live).

N/A

The Secret World - I love the game's setting, the skill wheel and the combat system.

Not to mention the investigation missions (even if they make feel stupid half the time =P)

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

Curiousity, I happened to click the SWTOR forums and saw this thread (first conscious visit to this subforum in fact!)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ziphiiziphii Member Posts: 17

Hey guys,

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  No, I didn't hear about it until much later.

Do you currently play this game?:  Yes

If yes, please explain why: It's fun.  Lots of good story quests, and it's star wars!

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  SW:TOR, Eve Online and WoW.  I don't know what to say about why I play them; I think they are fun.  I have a friend who plays SW:TOR and several who play WoW, but that's not really why I play them.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  My first time here, but I liked the question so decided to post.

"Did you see us fight?"

"No"

"Trap!"

• DaduHulkDaduHulk Member UncommonPosts: 28

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: No, didn't know about it until about a month before launch. I didn't pay attention to Star Wars titles at the time.

Do you currently play this game?: Yes, subscribed

If yes, please explain why: I play PvE solo mostly. I find it very enterteining, the diff class sotires have made into multiple games for me, and I haven't ran out of things to explore (after 8 toons!). Note also I am a senior player (50+), and It takes time for me to learn game mechanics. One I learn to play a game I have an investment on it and I try to get the most out of it. Switching games represents a learning curve that detracts from the enjoyment of them.

If no, please explain why: Sometimes, when servers lag or disconnect, I go play GW2.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Mostly SW:TOR and GW2. I was a big GW fan that waited for GW2, but at some point I got tired and decided o go into something else while I waited for GW2, and thats when I found SW:TOR. By the time GW2 came out I was heavy in SW:TOR. Then, turns out I don't like the new GW2 as much as the old GW, and I like SW:TOR more than I expected.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I don't come by here very often because of the constant bashing of the game. I understand this is not everybody's cup of tea, but no game is everybody's cup of tea. I never ever played WoW (well, untrue, I played freebie demo just to see it) so maybe I like things millions of others don't like, who knows. I think these forums could show a bit more respect for what other people like and consider that we all are part of a big gamming community and variety is good.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Absolutely! I love the Star Wars IP

Do you currently play this game?: No

If no, please explain why: No replayability, restricted exploration, and boring crafting system

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Nothing steady. I jump between Lotro and AoC

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I come here to mmorpg.com to read about my favorite games and to post on topics that interest me. In regards to SWTOR posting, I guess I post with the hope of somehow helping get a new Star Wars MMO made

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: A new Star Wars MMO

Do you currently play this game?: Yes

If yes, please explain why:  its Star Wars, and has greate animations and graphics, if u ad housing (ala SWG) and fix the unbalanced classes, the game is what i like

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: play a bit the Global Agenda

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? just to say my opinion

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350

Hey guys,

Yes, Star Wars is a great IP and the MMO genre can really use a break from the typical fantasy scene

No

Terrible implementation of mmorpg concepts. The game felt rushed, player suggestions were completely ignored, the gameplay was tired and boring. It basically felt like a generic cash grab.

EQ2 and Path of Exile. EQ2 because my wife plays it and the community is pretty high quality. PoE because it's fun for what it is (a f2p ARPG).

Probably the same impetus that compels people to watch car wrecks. I find the psychology of denial and bitterness very fascinating.

• MegaTommyMegaTommy Member UncommonPosts: 31

Hey guys,

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: I was moderately interested, mostly due to being busy with everyday life, and i had no time to follow all the news and beta tests. The idea of Bioware (creator of my all time favourite games) creating a MMO set in a Star Wars universe was very intriguing to me.

Do you currently play this game?: No.

If no, please explain why: Boring and uninspired classes, despite the large and pretty looking zones- the world feels very small with very limited exploration, unrewarding and chore-like end game, uninteresting crafting, multiple engine problems and general linearity.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Currently none.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I don't post her almost at all.

I'm a dude. I do stuff.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

yes i was interested because i knew it was similar to WoW which i like but with Star Wars IP, i had to play it.
    i do play it on and off but i have too many mmos installed to focus only on one.
     i like the game but to me it wasnt worth the sub. Now as prefered member i can play without compromise.

currently playing Age of Wushu because traditional Asian themed mmos are my favorites and this one is doing what other asian mmos failed to do. Hopefully AoW removes the bad image people have about asian mmos caused by the swarm of bad asian mmos plaguing the genre. AoW feels like the true asian experience i always wanted.
     although im not a huge star wars fan i still like SW, and i like the game. When i play an mmo i like to be part of its forum community (not frequently but definitelly be part of it).

• GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

Hey guys,

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes. I even beta tested it towards the end. It was Star Wars. I had to give it a shot.

If no, please explain why: After 2 months of play I was bored. Nothing in-game felt like a living, breathing persistent world. Way too many loading screens  that ruined emersion. WoW clone. This game is not an mmo, it is a single player  game with  a co-op variant.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: None at the moment. Waiting for a couple of new games to get released.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I do not post a lot. I just happened to see this thread and thought I would  answer.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 606

Barely, since it seemed to be just another carbon copy of the tried and true mmos mechanics with a new label. I was already bored of the old mechanics by this game.

Only played for about a month, less technically, more on this below.

Well I could say that it was very boring and repetitive. But the actual reason I stopped was that the developers had broken the crafting system in a major patch that made it impossible to advance in it. After a full month with no fix in sight, and pages of complaints about the bug with not so much as a dev response on it, I finnaly gave up and wrote off ALL games made by bioware ever again. This game alone ruined my image of bioware so badly, they are only better than EA by a small margin now. (Which is slightly worse than the human perception of satan in my book.)

Perpetuum Online, and Lord of the Rings Online currently. Now before you say that lotro is exactly like the crap I hate, let me agree with you, I DO NOT play the normal game, only pvp portion of the game that is like a minigame. It's imbalanced as hell as badly neglected by the developers, but it's the only thing like it in existance.

Only if I see something interesting to comment on, otherwise I just read and usualy don't post. Most threads on these forums are garbage, but a gem or two comes along now and then.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

Yes, I am a Star Wars fan and an MMO fan. I thought this would be the perfect match for me.

No.

N/A

Its not Star Wars. Its a space game with the name Star Wars on the box. If there is no risk involved, then there is no Jedi, there is no Sith. They are just titles bestowed on characters to give out the illusion of a conflict when in fact, there is none. Nothing is meaningful in that game, its just a long grind to nothing.

None. Waiting on FFXIV: ARR. Why? Because unlike others, they admitted their game was subpar, apologized and are now remaking it to meet their client's standards. Will it? Your guess is as good as mine. I only hope so.

Two reasons.

1) I like watching stooges justify their purchases and defending tooth and nail a game or company that couldn't care less about them. I am looking to prove a political statement wrong and these kinds of forums I believe will be the key as they attract both haters and fanbois. The extremes are often the key, but not the ideal.

2) I look at how EA employs its social media team and sometimes call it out or rectify their lies. Started doing that in various forums 2 years ago (not just for this game) and have been spotting them a lot more. I also look at how they formulate their lies to better decide on my future purchases so I dont get screwed like those who bought this game did. I feel for them though, I really do. I first got screwed by Dark and Light, if you remember that.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Yes, because its StarWars, SciFi, MMORPG, cool

No.

-

Played for 9 months.

Its not StarWars, its a Comic.

Its like a Mickey Mouse comik book in StarWars style.

No Freedom, no Worlds, redundant content.

Dislike the multiserver culture, missing char transfers and and and ..

FireFall, for the nice action

WarThunder, im a pilot at heart

Anarchy Online, soon™

Path of Exile, same fun like 100 years ago with D2 on my Amiga

TSW, AoC, FE, Lotro very casual

I have no game that eats me at the moment ..

• DruuuDruuu Member UncommonPosts: 9

Hey guys,

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes I was. In recent years MMO's have become my main games plus i'm a Star Wars fan so when this MMO was announced I was naturally interested.

Do you currently play this game?: Yes I do.

If yes, please explain why: As I mentioned, I am a Star Wars Fan and have been mainly been playing MMO's in recent years. For me, I like a good story so the other reason I am playing this is for that: the character stories. Plus I enjoy the social aspect of MMO's so, there ya go.

If no, please explain why: n/a

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: SWTOR mainly, with a little STO, GW2 and FireFall. SWTOR & STO because I'm a fan of both franchises and MMO's have become my mainstay of gaming. GW2 I picked up because I played the original GW and heard it was a great game. I read about FireFall being a FPS & MMO Hybrid so I thought i'd try it and so far I like it because its cool how it meshes the two types of game types together.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? Its the SWTOR Forum! SWTOR is my main game currently so I thought i'd chime in on some forum posts I thought were intersting.

• solochoowookiesolochoowookie Member UncommonPosts: 54

Hey guys,

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes - I followed it from early dev, but after SWG stunk so much it was more from a skeptical angle.

Do you currently play this game?: Yes - every day almost.

If yes, please explain why:  The classes and different content for each has given me interest long past just hitting max level on one toon. I have leveled multiple 50's on both sides, and enjoyed it all the way.

The game looks great, light sabers, ships, planets. So much to do, and fun to be had. Flashpoints, and PVP is fair and can be amazing. 

SO sick of the sword and board games out there, if EA and BW can keep from pissing ALL they players off (they try hard) it will be my go to for a long time.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: I played GW2, but they hate healers so it got lame fast. Zerg to the left, zerg to the right, die....run....run more....still running.....found the zerg again, repeat.

• D3Perfecto93D3Perfecto93 Member Posts: 14
    Yes I do because my friends and cousin been pestering me to play this game and told me it had gone F2P and since I joined up I was still thinking of subbing for SWTOR so I could get a new companion for my character and that is the HK-51.
  • PhoenixC13PhoenixC13 Member UncommonPosts: 119

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: I pre-ordered was so excited.

If no, please explain why: I felt it was WoW style in Star Wars clothes.  Cut scene's drove me nuts.  There needs to be content not pretty graphics.   I hate that almost every game I bring myself to try is pretty but no content.  Its like dating a hot dumb chick.  At first you think its great then as you look a little deeper you run away.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:   I am currently looking for an MMO but I maybe moved on from them.  I started playing MMO's in 99 and the MMO's then are 1000x better then anything I seen today.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  I just killing some time on the forms on MMORPG.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?

Yes, I was very interested.  Before the game came out, I thought it would be like WoW, with open zones on different planets.  I also thought you'd at least have the ability to pilot your ship around the galaxies of the Star Wars Universe.  After playing the beta, I knew this wasn't going to be the game for me.  It was more like DOOM than WoW.  You were cattle-proded through a corral of narrow corridors, with monsthers jumping out at you.

No.

N/A

Kinda answered in the first question.  It wasn't what i though it would be, or could've been.  There is no open world, it's all instanced dungeons just with more people in them.  It was also like a lobby game, where everyone just hung out in the fleets.  Only left to go to do an extremely linear questline.  In other MMOs I've stuck with, there was always at least two different routes to level.  In SWTOR there was barely one.  I went back after they switched to Free to Play, but it was just too restrictive.  My level 50s were useless, as all thier armor was epic, and free accounts. Even though I bought the box, and went through the journey of getting all that gear, my character got no use out of them.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?

I am currently playing WoW and Rift.  The main reason I play these two is the story and lore.  I'm a firm believer that just below fun factor, the story is tops.  Both titles have a great story behind and in them.  They're both extremely polished.  There are no broken skills or anything.  You'll rarely run into any type of problem that isn't fixed almost instantly.  Another big factor is that they both run smoothly on the minimum specs they list.  They could've listed the minimum requirements even lower probably, but then they wouldn't run so great on them.  You can raid on a computer with minimum required specs.  Unlike other games like GW2 or TSW,  if you run those games on thier minimum spec machines there will be clipping, framerates of 1-2 when moving or alot of people around.  I can 25 man raid on 5 year old laptop and never drop below 20 FPS.

I really don't post that much in this forum.  I used to back when I played it, but not anymore.  I might've posted a few times about how I didnt' like the free to play options, but other than that I haven't posted anything in awhile.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

It'll be a cool forum experiement to see which of these threads (3 of them, for 3 different games) gets re-necroed, unintentionally, every couple of months for the longest time frame.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

Yes.  It was Star Wars and Bioware.

Yes

I'm playing it because it went F2P (I was previously unsubscribed)  I'm playing it very casually, I'd like to finish all of the class stories just to see what the storyline is.  But I'm in no rush to do it.

Guild Wars 2, LOTRO, TSW and SWTOR, all pretty casually.  Game hopping a lot these days.

I'm still interested in the game ans what goes on with it.  Hoping that the F2P model gets better with a few more required purchases such a credit cap unlock.  But we'll see what happens.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

No.  The Star Wars IP never really intrigued me and it sounded like it was going to be too similar to WoW.

No.

I'm simply not interested in it.

I'm beta testing FFXIV: A Realm Reborn.  I've played the Final Fantasy IP since its first installment and have continued to follow the series since.  First and foremost I like its setting and story telling.  Game mechanics are secondary to me.

I really don't participate in this subforum.  I saw this post from the Forum Overview and decided to contribute.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Ofcourse, it's star wars.

No.

N/A

The game lost it's appeal rather quickly.  Ilum insults my intelligence.  I was bugged out of my commando storyline at around lvl 28, and was never fixed while I played (2 months).  Primary reason is my guild got put on a crappy server, Hedarr Songh, and the PvP competition was lacking in all regards.  I acheived Battlemaster too quickly and other's who got the title were not my peers.

GW2.  The classes are easy to learn, but incredibly hard to master.  I feel I play my class fairly well, but every so often a player comes and mops the floor with me.  It makes me rethink the way I play my class when competing against others.  My need for improvement keeps things fresh for me.  Despite some short comings, WvW is a lot of fun.

I do not post here.  I am not currently playing SWTOR nor have any interest in it, so I have nothing to contribute here.  I answered these questions to contribute to this forum experiment.