Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2: Latest Update Brings Big Changes

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment and the PlanetSide 2 team have published the latest patch notes for the update that went into effect over the weekend. Changes include vehicle and weapon updates, client improvements and UI alterations.

Experience Updates

• As an added bonus to our earliest supporters, we’ve increased the bonus percentage of our Alpha Squad boost to 50% resources and XP.

• Added tiered kill xp

• Killing a player who has been alive for less than 10 seconds and has not earned more than 5 xp will yield a diminished “Spawn Kill” xp reward of 25 xp

• Killing a player who has been alive for more than 10 seconds, or earned more than 5 xp and less than 1000 xp will yield a normal “Kill” xp reward of 100 xp

• Killing a player who has earned equal to or more than 1000 xp but less than 2000 xp will yield an enhanced “High Threat Kill” xp reward of 150 xp

• Killing a player who has earned equal to or more than 2000 xp will yield an enhanced “Extreme Menace Kill” xp reward of 300 xp

Read the full patch notes on the PlanetSide 2 forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

More reason for new players not to play this game.

Concept is good. Performance is terrible (even on good systems), combat is clunky, and cheating, from what I hear now, is rampant.

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193

Performance is good for me, combat is awsome, iv seen no cheating. so this guy is a troll.

Awsome changes btw

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Mostly balancing changes and the promised spawn camping disruption

Wake me up when they have added more meta-game

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 228

Cheating isn't bad... every now and then you run into some hacker but it is not as bad as people say.

The performance is horrific, yes they screwed the pooch on this one.

They have issues, a good chunck of them I will admit but in the end it is a fun game for people new and old.

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

Concept is good. Performance is terrible (even on good systems), combat is clunky, and cheating, from what I hear now, is rampant.

For all new players--DO not listen to this!  Amazing performance, smooth and fast combat, best mmofps around.

• ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

I can admit the game has its flaws and that there are hackers (even if it's not as bad as people claim - not at all, actually) but performance hasn't been a problem for anyone I've played with. Heck, I even played this on a laptop over shitty hotel wi-fi with no problems.

If you have performance problems with this game, perhaps it is time to upgrade or at least run a   good benchmark test to see if there's something wrong or lacking.

Biggest problem with Planetside 2 was the lack of incentive or tools for defending and a bit of balance. Balance of XP is more or less fixed in this latest patch and defenders have gotten more advantages and defending has gotten a lot easier. Balance is of course always something any developers are working on, and while I'm sure it's not perfect I have no issues enjoying myself as infantry.

Are you on the fence? The game is free - download it and try it; don't just listen to me or anyone else - form your own opinion.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I like these changes, particularly the extra xp for someone who's been alive along time. Should power along my drop on snipers and suprise them technique.

Re cheating: there are cheats in ALL online games. I've encountered less in ps2 than wow, gw2, war & rift amongst others.

Re performance: supposedly the games a cpu hog, but I have a mid range cpu (fx6300) and can play the game on maximum settings with 60fps never dropping below 40fps in even those huge battles for the crown. Ps2 also culls much better than gw2 i.e not at bloody random, but based on performance / distance / range.

It really is one of the best current mmos for pvp (along with eve)
  • LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

I like the "from what I hear" part. It s nothing as you say. Performance is great, combat is far far far from clunky, and while cheating I m sure happens, I have yet to see it once.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Actually I would have to agree with the poor performance as well. For all the hype this gets its not that great.
    What sort of pcs are these people with bad performance using?
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Peformance took a hit from this patch, for reasons I don't know if anyone is sure of yet. The game ran much better before the patch. Hopefully they fix whatever went wrong.

Beyond that though i'm pretty happy with the changes, particularly with XP and redesigned spawnrooms.

• SidQFTSidQFT Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by dinams

Mostly balancing changes and the promised spawn camping disruption

Wake me up when they have added more meta-game

waiting on the same thing :)

I'm using an older setup, but I don't feel like it should require an update for ps2.
    Base stats are a 2.8 I5 , gtx 460, 8 gb ram. I wonder how many people that play ps 2 have comparable pc stats.
  • breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374

Plays ok here using 2 x Xeon 3645 and 4 x GTX 570, and a i7 920 with a hd5870 :P

What i hate about this game is the spawncamping with vehicles its so terrible never seen anything like it.

Dont think changing the Experiance  is gonna help neither.

Group of 10 peeps trying to def a base and no way to even get out of the spawn point.

King
    It's a cutting edge game, a large amount of players in one place, lots of bullets to trace, actual hit boxes etc.. its going to require a meatier pc than a fixed team shooter like cod or a tab Target mmo with mass pvp like gw2.
    Well at least I have a solid reason not to log in anymore :-) thanks everyone.
  • ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294
    King: Wait... You use a 460 and still blame the game? The internet sure bring surprises sometimes.....
    Im just comparing it to Battlefield and skyrim, they both look amazing and run flawless for me, and I just can't see upgrading my gear for a sub par shooter, or so I can play with 1000 people at once of which 950 I will never see.
    Skyrim is a single player game
    Battlefield has less players to deal with (although it also has an impressive engine)
    There are other games that your pc will struggle with. Likes of metro, colonial marines, skyrim with the hd pack, TESO too I reckon as its using actual aiming, probably eqn as its using ps2s engine.
  • NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

Everything added in this upgrade is for the better of the game.

The only bad thing that it added was some performance issues that I never had before the patch.

At times it feels like im lagging or some micro stuttering. Not always but it is there.

I have never seen a cheater yet BUT I know they are present. Its a constant battle. 

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Originally posted by Shadin
    King: Wait... You use a 460 and still blame the game? The internet sure bring surprises sometimes.....

You are aware that PS2 runs more off of CPU than GPU, right?

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• topetstopets Member Posts: 17

My mouse was crap for fligth vehicle

I cant flight

• Copykill99Copykill99 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    a fucking amazing game with great performance on a 3gh quad intel with 560 gtx and 8 gb
    Lol well he obviously likes it. I had not played since this latest patch but with all the qq about graphics now and my weak system that is only good for GW2 I'm think its best to remove this game file. Some interesting feedback though, I especially like the part about how the internet amazes you, that one put a smile on my face.