Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Dungeons & Dragons Online: Return to Gianthold Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Dungeons and Dragons Online is one of a few games that grows and improves with age. We have a hands on preview of the latest update, Return to Gianthold. See what we discovered and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

Since random encounters are just that, random, in the past I have had to take the word of Turbine about the fact they were working hard to improve encounters with dragons. I was finally able to witness the results of their labor first hand. This big red beast flew onto the battlefield and took up arms against our group. Literally he stood up on his hind legs and threw some combinations at us. The dragon’s movement is something to behold. It finally looks right. Attacks are fluid and not disjointed. The animation is far ahead of any other dragon encounter in Eberron.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Dungeons & Dragons Online: Return to Gianthold Preview.

It wouldn’t be D&D without Dragons Right?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KreetureKreeture Member UncommonPosts: 59

I REALLY enjoyed DDO and played it from just after launch until about 3 months ago.

I think i have played the crap out of that game and have multiple capped and geared out characters and after almost 6 years i had to take a break to allow content to get ahead of me again. I cant wait to come back and see the revamped gianthold.

This game is worth playing and sticking with. Tons of fun.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Kreeture

I REALLY enjoyed DDO and played it from just after launch until about 3 months ago.

I think i have played the crap out of that game and have multiple capped and geared out characters and after almost 6 years i had to take a break to allow content to get ahead of me again. I cant wait to come back and see the revamped gianthold.

This game is worth playing and sticking with. Tons of fun.

Well said Kreeture.

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207
    I take a week or two break every few months.  But, the new stuff that Turbine is coming up with is really well done and enjoyable.  Just like any other game, there is usually one or two quests that come with every content update that are complete turds.  But overall, the writing for these new quests is fantastic.  And, with more voice overs being done with every release, more engaging.
  • daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I've played a great many of the MMO's out there, from DAOC on.  I never quite got into UO, though I use to watch some of my friends play it.  Over all I am completely disenchanted with the MMO's of toady.  I don't know if it's the games themselves, or if I've just changed, or a combination of both, but I really had little desire to play MMO's anymore.

I played DDO at release.  At the time the level cap was 10, and the enhancement system really sucked.  I capped out a couple of characters and quit.  I tried off and on again every couple of years, and then a couple of months before the Forgotten Realms expansion came out, my brother asked me to start playing again and run quests with him, so I did.

I haven't stopped playing since.  The changes they have made since release, and especially the new content is lots of fun.  I remember thinking back in the day "this game isn't worth 15 bucks a month, it should be free to play."  Well, now you have the subscription option, or you can play free to play, and buy content packs if you want to.  Granted, there isn't a whole lot to do after the lower levels without buying some content, but I am happy with the fact that once I pay for it, I will have it forever, no monthly fee.  

I really enjoy DDO in its current form, and it keeps getting better as time goes on.

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Me and a friend have decided to give the game a try. I played it long ago and I remember enjoying it.
  • TheBlueQueenTheBlueQueen Member Posts: 9

I realize I am quite late to the party, but thank you very much for this preview article.  Hopefully, you don't mind that I placed a link to this in the DDO section of the IGC forums.  :)

Yes, I am very much looking forward to this update and all it has to offer.  I've always been fond of this place and I am rather excited to experience Gianthold on the Epic level.

As far as the dragon animations, I believe them to be rather impressive considering what Turbine is working with.  The dragons of recent times are a far cry from the dragons we had to put up with for years prior to MotU and this upcoming upgrade to Gianthold.